Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2021, 00:04   #4636
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
13000 is a bit too much and I opted out for the time being. The fuel level indocator has been blinking to glory from that day onwards.
Hi, facing the same issue on my xuv (April 2012 model). Did you get this corrected? How much was the cost? And how has the response been since then?
Thanks!
Old 26th July 2021, 15:23   #4637
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartikaygaur View Post
Hi, facing the same issue on my xuv (April 2012 model). Did you get this corrected? How much was the cost? And how has the response been since then?
Thanks!
I did bite the bullet eventually and it did cost around 13-14K overall IIRC. They matched the odo reading to the earlier one perfectly.
No issues since then.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 00:58   #4638
BHPian

Other than several niggles in my XUV500/W6/2011, I have been facing one frequent issue, that is of unreliable headlights.

About 2 weeks back, during night driving in rains, the headlamps (both low and high beams, simultaneously) blinked some 4 times at random in 2 minutes, and restored to normal afterwards. Next couple of days, headlamps functioned perfectly normal. It happened again last week, blinked a few times in a short duration, and later the headlights suddenly went off. No way to turn them on. Tried shutting off the engine, lock unlock (some old niggles on error lights on dash, music system malfunctioning etc, still need this treatment, especially during rains and high humidity). But this procedure did not help.

I noticed that parking light worked properly, but not the low/high beams, nor the 'pass' high beam. Surprisingly, putting the headlights in Auto mode made the low-beam work fine. Drove back home.

Next day, everything was normal and I started traveling during day time, but with keen observation (turning on low-beam during rains). Suddenly, after traveling some 6-7 kms, I realized the headlamps are not working anymore. Low-beam is always off in auto mode during day.

I strongly suspected the combination switch to be the culprit. However, just to ensure it is indeed the problem, I drive back home, checked all bulbs, fuses, relays, battery, visible / scent of any loose connections/cable burning, any cable cuts (rats etc) and everything seemed fine.

I also recalled, about a month back, after parking the car at night on one Saturday (I didnt drive on the next two days, ), by Tuesday noon, the battery had completely drained (2.8 Volt total). This battery is brand new (just a couple of months), Amaron maintenance free. I remember switching off all lights, including cabin lights, parking lights on Sunday night, and our watchman also did not complain of any lights remaining on that night or the next. Did the combi switch turn on any lights or gadgets at night automatically? Again this led to stronger belief that the combination switch is indeed the culprit. The current drawn must have been significant to discharge a 90AH battery in 2 days. Anyways, got the battery checked and charged from a professional, and the battery was not at fault. I checked everything possible, including idle current drawn in locked condition, everything seemed normal. The battery problem did not occur again. It is still a mystery, what made the battery go so low.

Anyways, I consulted the service advisors at NBS Sewri and Harekrishan Turbhe of the headlamp issue and asked if they have the combination switch is in stock. It was not available with either of them. One said cost is 6000, other said 4600. Both asked me to come to workshop for vehicle checkup before the workshop can conclude that the Combi Switch is defective. I told them that I will visit workshop when the part is available, as NBS especially far from my home.

Since the headlight is critical and did not want to take any risks, I went to a local (but claiming to be experienced, known) electrician. I demonstrated to him that the headlamps (low-beam) works fine in Auto mode, but doesnt work in manual mode and that high beam doesnt work at all. He still checked the relays, fuses, bulbs with his test lamp. Maybe he is trained to follow the same procedure and confirming things. Anyways, he said he did not suspect anything wrong with combi switch, but said there is a loose connection in the 24pin connector. He sprayed some WD40 to clean up the connector, reconnected it and said things are working. It worked for less than 3 minutes, and then headlamps went off again in manual mode.

Yesterday, I went to Harekrishan. As previously told by them, the part was not available with them. Still the service advisor asked the electrician to check what's wrong as the headlamps are still nor working properly. The electrician, within a few seconds, by just turning the switch concluded that the switch is defective. No electrical tests or checking any connectors, fuses, wires etc. He said the switch is not latching like normal. I told him that the mechanical feel is exactly same since the time the switch was last replaced by Mahindra under warranty. Anyways, I trusted his instinct, as he was more experienced. New replacement switch was not available, and would take atleast 8 days. I still spoke to the store manager, and he said he will check again. After checking his computer, he located one corrugated box with part name Combination Switch, but the contents were loosely packed, actually bubble wrapped. The switch looked used/old and the date of manufacture did not match either with the box. Mechanical feel was bad too, bit too inconsistent, softish, and dust and some whitish thing growing on the stem (like fungus). So I decided to reject the part and rather wait for fresh one.

It is important for me to state that Mahindra had replaced the combi switch twice in the past, under warranty. This is the third switch. How can this switch be so unreliable?

Secondly, I have had incidents in past of occasional blinking (some 5 times in last 4 years) on long duration expressway drives, I always though it may be some some bird or flying paper etc may have crossed the headlamp beams, or could be protection mechanism or software bug as the problem could never be reproduced at the workshop nor at home. It was never 4-5 times blinking in 2 minutes in city as it happened recently. In past, I got evetrthing tested - battery, terminals, bulbs, connectors, alternator, wiring etc.

Somehow, I have lost trust in the combination switch and want to have an additional parallel switch that could keep the headlights ON when I need, especially driving on highways, even if I replace the switch with a brand new.

Is there any way to know which of the pin numbers or associated colored wires in the connector are related to (a) Power (b) Low beam (c) High Beam, (d) Parking lights (e) Fog lights?

If anyone can share the pinout for the XUV500 combination switch here or a direct message, it save me some time and effort in reverse engineering.

Thanks so much in advance.

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-s3.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-s4.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-sw1.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 6th October 2021 at 18:04. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Old 4th October 2021, 12:47   #4639

Hi All,
I'm experiencing an annoying rattle from somewhere in the rear of my XUV 500 W4.

My W4 is a mature boy, having clocked close to 1.2 lakh KMs in 7 years. Since it was time to change bushes, I got the whole lot (front and rear) changed from a garage I trust in Pune. Since the shockers (dampers) also seemed to have lived their life, I got those changed as well. A couple of link rods in the rear area were also changed.

While we were at it, I got the brake pads and the rear discs changed as well, as they were worn.

However there is a persistent metallic rattle (metal on metal) from somewhere in the rear that we haven't been able to isolate or identify. Initially I thought it was the stepney, but that was also checked and is absolutely tight.

Its not a major noise, but comes when I go over nasty bumps / ditches / bad roads (which are endemic in Pune). The inside body has been checked and there are no loose items rattling around. Similarly, there don't seem to be any external body parts that are loose and shaky. We did a check of the underside, but couldn't find anything.

Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers
Old 4th October 2021, 13:01   #4640

@Pulse500

Does this help?
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/16...page=13#manual
kris_t is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 15:44   #4641

@kris t

If this is like a creaking sound that you hear, then I also have the same issue with my 20 month old W3 which has run 7500 kms. Not been able to isolate the source which started a week back. The noise is heard only when the rear tyres run into bad patches. Coincidentally this seems to have started around the same time after i got my alignment & balancing done. I was also told that rear tyres needed a lot of adjustment. I took it to a garage nearby to find the source but after 30 mins of check & test drive, i was advised to take it to ASC since its under warranty since source could not be identified. Rear Door,seats, etc. were checked. I am planning to visit an ASC for this issue.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th October 2021 at 18:12. Reason: Typos. Please proof read. Thanks!
Old 6th October 2021, 18:17   #4642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris_t View Post

Yes, I found a maintenance manual online with all the electrical diagrams. I was able to build a temporary solution using external switches for emergency use. Instead of breaking any wires, I used a modified PC motherboard ATX power connector pair that is introduced in series with the old switch.

Later, I also got the switch replaced with discount from Mahindra. Unfortunately, the new switch has a new niggle - the wiper stalk gets stuck if I use mist. I am wondering whether it is a coincidence that most defective items come to me, or in general, spares quality is bad and everyone gets to taste them.
Old 6th October 2021, 18:36   #4643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris_t View Post
Its not a major noise, but comes when I go over nasty bumps / ditches / bad roads (which are endemic in Pune). The inside body has been checked and there are no loose items rattling around. Similarly, there don't seem to be any external body parts that are loose and shaky. We did a check of the underside, but couldn't find anything.

Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers

Hi, I had a similar problem with my w10. After a thorough check at the service centre it was found that the pipe that leads to one of the exhausts had bent and was touching one of the links of the rear tyre suspension apparatus. I don’t know the technical terms for any of these parts but i hope i was able to explain.

It was concluded that on one of the drives someone had rear-ended my car and it caused the exhaust and the pipe to bend towards the link. And after the incident every time the car went over a bump or a pothole that noise (like metal on metal) would be heard. But not a continuous rattle.

I hope this helps.
Old 7th October 2021, 21:24   #4644
BHPian

The fuel lid switch in my XUV has caved in.

This is the second time it is happening. A couple of years ago when the switch fell off, the Service Advisor in Mysore used Fevi Kwik to put it in place. Till today they jugaad fix worked ok.

The car was at Sireesh Jakkur for its 150000 kms service. While handing over the vehicle this evening, the SA noticed that the switch was missing. He has promised to procure the spare part and get it fixed.

How easy is it to get the switch? The SA says it is a rare part and might take some time to source it. For now I will have to rely on the manual switch in the boot to open the fuel tank lid.
Old 7th October 2021, 21:45   #4645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
How easy is it to get the switch? The SA says it is a rare part and might take some time to source it. For now I will have to rely on the manual switch in the boot to open the fuel tank lid.
Is this it? If yes, you can buy it yourself and ask the workshop to fit it. You might even get it at an authorised Mahindra spares retailer or distributor in your city.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-fuel...itch-33077909/

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 7th October 2021 at 21:46.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 12:18   #4646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Is this it? If yes, you can buy it yourself and ask the workshop to fit it. You might even get it at an authorised Mahindra spares retailer or distributor in your city.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-fuel...itch-33077909/
Yes. This is the part I was referring to. Fortunately, the SA was able to find one in the warehouse. Getting it fixed early next week.
satishv1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 01:06   #4647
BHPian

Hi, I'm, or rather my dad, is a proud owner of a 2013 XUV W6. It has clocked 137k kms. And you can read the mileage on the steering wheel itself because of its wear and tear. I had been planning to wrap it with leather and make it look good like the W8 version since almost 3 years. I have finally started and completed half of the wrapping with the help of a video by Chrisfix on YouTube and am stuck in some small places. Its been so long since I've actually seen a leather wrapped steering up-close, so I had to fabricate the entire contours using pictures. It would really be of great help if you guys share pictures of the spokes of your higher trim Xuv's Steering and the stitching pattern, and behind the steering wheel too, if possible. Attached are the images of my progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211016_151432.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211016_165540.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211016_165548.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211016_165602.jpg  

Old 17th October 2021, 07:03   #4648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panneer Selven View Post
Hi, I'm, or rather my dad, is a proud owner of a 2013 XUV W6. It has clocked 137k kms.
I too own a w6 2013. So I am interested to see the outcome.
Also, if you are asking a about how exactly to wrap, then perhaps it may be wise to go to a pro to get it stiched. Either way, no harm in trying out a DIY - the satisfaction one gets is higher. Please post pictures once done. Thanks in advance.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 14:20   #4649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Either way, no harm in trying out a DIY - the satisfaction one gets is higher. Please post pictures once done. Thanks in advance.
Steering wheel Leather wrap report:
I had bought the leather wrap from Amazon, it's listing name was Autofact Leatherette steering wheel Leather wrap for XUV500. I had to heavily modify the wrap by removing the stitches, the foam layer and to create creases/folds in the leather to give it a genuine look by cutting and rejoining the leather by stitching. I had removed the foam layer to keep the steering's original thickness (reason for which is given in the latter part of this post, please don't skip). I had to spend another 2 days marking and measuring and cutting the wrap to fit the Xuv's steering to give it a factory look. Well, as soon as I posted the original post, I recollected that we had to go to a place the next day, aka today, and the car was pretty much unusable as I hadn't finished stitching the leather, plus I wasn't getting any sleep even though it was 1 am. So I got to work and completed the rest of the steering. The outcome was actually 10000% better than I expected it to be, even though it's not a perfect job. I had added 2 extra creases/folds in the leather at 4½ o'clock and 7½ o'clock on the steering, along with the stock creases/ folds at 1o'clock and 11o'clock, to give it a 2010s Mercedes Benz steering wheel look.
The excess leather near the steering buttons and the bottom U-shaped silver trim was trimmed a little and tucked away neatly under the buttons and the trim with the help of double sided tape that really helped the leather to conform to the beautiful contours. While at it, I also took the time to replace the key fob's cover with a sporty looking new one that I had bought from Amazon for 300rs. The original chrome Mahindra logo on the key fob had been worn and destroyed by years of usage, so I took the previous silicone key cover and cut out the Mahindra logo from it and stuck it on the key fob, so it looks brand new.
I have posted all the images of the progress and the finished product down below
I had created a small montage of the process that you can watch here: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CVHwr...dium=copy_link .
Test drive and Final Verdict of the DIY leather wrap+The beautiful/scary situation of my place
(You can skip this part if you prefer only the steering part)
As I mentioned in the original post, my dad does all of the driving for now as I will turn 18 next March. My dad is 56 years old and has been driving since 38 years. He started his driving life in Bahrain, where we lived until 2018, so to call him experienced is a understatement. He hated those flimsy steering wheel covers that you can buy and install in 10secs. He actually was against the idea of wrapping the steering wheel with leather, because he said that the steering's original handling is embedded in a driver's mind, and if it was changed, it could cause the driver of the car to lose control and crash because of low grip, but I proceeded anyway, and as you will see in a few seconds it was the right choice. There's a difference between leather cover and leather wrap, the cover makes the steering uniform and completely round, even the area where you rest your thumbs, and they are bulky to hold, whereas, the wrap correctly mimics the shape of the steering wheel, and the original thickness is basically little to zero affected.
Right now in our area we are experiencing heavy rain and floods in some areas, and our district (Kanyakumari district in Tamil Nadu) had just received a Severe Flood Alert, so the roads were slippery. So today when we took the car out to go to a place, I watched my dad's priceless reaction, which was sort of mixed with confusion, happiness and satisfaction when he drove the car. He said that the steering wheel's grip had been improved a lot even in this rainy situation and it was easy to control it as it didn't slip like it did with the worn out steering. He also complemented how good it looked and said it reminded him of a 1999 Jeep Cherokee that he once drove. I enjoyed the rest of the drive and felt so good. It was something with the connection between us and the car, especially after we make it work good again, or in this case refurbish the steering. Just like Deep had said, the satisfaction was at cloud nine.
On the way we stopped on a bridge and took some pictures of the flooding river on a bridge. The river (Thamirabharani river) had flooded all the trees and houses on its banks. The height from the river to the bridge bottom is usually around 6 meters, but now the river touches the bridge 😨. Attached are images of the river too.
Toodles.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211015_154853.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211015_154925.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211015_154940.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211014_235837.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211016_151432.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211016_165602.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211017_120017.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211017_115810.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211017_115919.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211017_115942.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211017_120002.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211017_120051.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211017_120039.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20211017_124341.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img20211017wa0006.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img20211017wa0000.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img20211017wa0004.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img20211017wa0005.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img20211017wa0002.jpg  

Panneer Selven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 02:31   #4650
BHPian

Guys, when I turn the steering in my car at a medium- slow speed, there is a vibration that is very noticeable by only the driver in the body of the car. There is no whining sound or hesitation by the steering and its very smooth and can be turned by a single finger. So could this mean some kind of worn bush or some part like that? Since there is no whining or steering problem, I think the steering pump is fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks