Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2021, 14:55   #4621
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Hello folks. I have been facing a strange issue with my 2017 XUV500 W10 AWD. The horn sounds by itself randomly. I have observed that it comes on at night or early mornings when the temperatures are low and also when going over undulating surfaces like rough roads. I have checked the horn connections and visible wiring and all seems to be fine. I am now suspecting either the horn relay or the Horn switch. The horn relay is a PCB relay and I wonder if it can be replaced if faulty. Also, what are the possibilities of the horn switch or the clock spring going bad?

Looking for inputs from our esteemed members. TIA
Old 10th July 2021, 15:27   #4622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Av8r View Post
The horn sounds by itself randomly. I have observed that it comes on at night or early mornings when the temperatures are low and also when going over undulating surfaces like rough roads. I have checked the horn connections and visible wiring and all seems to be fine.
5 year old car is unlikely to have issue with horn switch and that too related to temperature / jerks. This is more likely with PCB / relay.

If easily possible, you can try replacing the relay directly. Or else try to confirm the relay fault by imparting a few jerks by hand.
Rahul Bhalgat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 12:05   #4623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Try to confirm the relay fault by imparting a few jerks by hand.
Thank you Rahul. I did try to give a few jerks by hand to check the relay. The horn makes feeble sounds sometimes when I close the hood / boot / door and also when I tap the steering wheel. The sounds do not come all the times when the tapping or jerks are given. This has baffled me and made me suspect either of the two likely culprits, the relay or horn switch. Looks like it would need intervention from Mahindra ASS.
Old 12th July 2021, 00:12   #4624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Av8r View Post
Thank you Rahul. I did try to give a few jerks by hand to check the relay. The horn makes feeble sounds sometimes when I close the hood / boot / door and also when I tap the steering wheel. The sounds do not come all the times when the tapping or jerks are given. This has baffled me and made me suspect either of the two likely culprits, the relay or horn switch. Looks like it would need intervention from Mahindra ASS.

I had similar issues. The Mahindra authorized service center made me to replace the "Clock Spring", a term used for a case that has a spiral ribbon cable with connectors, to maintain contacts with the switches on steering wheel, when steering is rotated.

BTW, I had done all DIY testing before, relays, wires, horn itself after isolating it, voltages etc before giving up and discussing with the Mahindra service center.

Last edited by Pulse500 : 12th July 2021 at 00:14.
Pulse500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 10:42   #4625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse500 View Post
I had similar issues. The Mahindra authorized service center made me to replace the "Clock Spring"

BTW, I had done all DIY testing before, relays, wires, horn itself after isolating it, voltages etc before giving up and discussing with the Mahindra service center.
Thanks Pulse500. That's exactly the way I'm heading. All DIY troubleshooting indicates clock spring failure. Glad to know that my car does not have a one off issue. Hopefully, it should be replaced under extended warranty.
Old 12th July 2021, 11:10   #4626

Hello,

Looking for suggestions to rectify an AC compressor noise in a 2013 XUV5OO in Bangalore.

The Mahindra service guys are asking to get the entire compressor replaced for around 35K. Kindly suggest a reliable freelance mechanic who can help with this issue.

Thank you.
Old 13th July 2021, 11:59   #4627

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikshan View Post
It is very disheartening, disappointing to see the amount of rust in the vehicle. Attached are photos. I never expected this in my car.

Why & how premium product like XUV500 will get so much rust? I am planning to write to Mahindra on this. *
I too have observed rusting issue with my 2017 XUV5OO, but not to the extend your car is at. When my car was in Bangalore, rusting was not an issue. Due to Pandemic & thanks to WFH, for more than a year it is in Mangalore and I can see it rusting quickly. Since my car is on extended warranty, they have accepted to replace the 3 doors that are at initial stage of catching rust. It has been 4 months since they promised replacement, still waiting for the parts to arrive at the local Mahindra service center. Will share more details if there is any progress.
Here are some of the pics:
Front Left Door
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-fl-door.jpg

Front Right Door
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-fr-door.jpg

Inside of the Front Right Door.
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-inside-fr-door.jpg
Old 13th July 2021, 15:18   #4628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind319 View Post
I too have observed rusting issue with my 2017 XUV5OO, but not to the extend your car is at.
Anti-rust properties, by far, has been one of the major weakness of Mahindra vehicles, especially the XUV500.

I am sure Mahindra can technically address this with a better composition of steel, galvanizing certain parts, better primer/painting materials and treatment process. But all these certainly it comes at some cost. Some minor design changes may also help if they allow proper venting to keep potentially risky places dry.

I hope Mahindra improves the quality overall in all future products and make everyone happy (including improved resale value, brand loyalty) instead of just replacing parts selectively for customers who can make noise or influence opinions (perceived to be lower cost than blanket product improvement).
Pulse500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 15:42   #4629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon View Post
Hello,
Kindly suggest a reliable freelance mechanic who can help with this issue.
I am PM ing you contact of an AC mechanic whom few of us XUV owners in Bangalore been contacting.

Quote:
I too have observed rusting issue with my 2017 XUV5OO
Mahindra claims to have fixed this issue from 3rg gen XUV onwards. In the earlier versions, the same is due to water getting trapped inside door panels when dirt/ dead leaft etc and blocking the drain points.

Hence as in your pics, the rust is first visible around the drain holes and then spreads inside the panel.

You can consider getting anti rust treatment on the inside of the panel, it can be done MASS itself or elsewhere.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 18:04   #4630

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I am PM ing you contact of an AC mechanic whom few of us XUV owners in Bangalore been contacting.
Appreciate it, mpksuhas.

But I don't have PM facility yet. Would there be any other way to get that contact info?

Thank you.
Old 13th July 2021, 19:48   #4631

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

You can consider getting anti rust treatment on the inside of the panel, it can be done MASS itself or elsewhere.

As MASS has accepted to replace them, I will wait for the replacements. I am aware that the paint job will not be as good as the new vehicle. I will try to get anti rust treatment on the inside of the panel before it is fixed on to my vehicle.
Arvind319 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 19:20   #4632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon View Post
Would there be any other way to get that contact info?.
You can contact Vincent on - 8123234315. He was working at India garage earlier, now deals with AC works independently.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 10:33   #4633
BHPian

Quote:

As MASS has accepted to replace them, I will wait for the replacements. I am aware that the paint job will not be as good as the new vehicle. I will try to get anti rust treatment on the inside of the panel before it is fixed on to my vehicle.
See if you could get a few pieces of good quality damping sheets (anti-rust, atleast 2mm butyl based, not bitumen) installed inside the door panel after the paint job. Try to cover just above 1/3rd area including behind side impact bars. If you cover too much area, the door will become unnecessarily heavy but no major extra benefit.

In my XUV500, the stock damping sheets became brittle in ~3 years, the canvas cover and then the rubber pieces started falling inside the door blocking the drain holes and causing rust. Some fell on the winder / window regulator channels and caused jams. I had to scrape out the old and stick the new ones. A fresh painted surface for you would make job far easier.
Pulse500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 22:18   #4634

Hello Bhpian's
A month back, when my XUV5OO didn't start, I realized Engine light, ABS alert were glowing. When I opened the bonnet, found rats had chewed away cable connecting:
1> Fuel filter sensor
2> Front Left ABS sensor
3> Fuel pump

I fixed all the three and all alerts were cleared. I had not checked Navigation then.

Today while I was trying to sync Blue Sense, I observed trip logs were not displaying the location name and the distance traveled was showing double the actual distance. When clicked on the Nav it initially displayed the Asia map and when zoomed in, it showed the details for locations in India. But when clicked on the screen to find current location, it couldn't locate. After that, I turned OFF and turned ON the key and now navigation gives an error "Navigation Not Available" please contact service center. Also observed it is not showing the e-manual.

Any suggestions what could be the issue? Would this be issue with cable connecting GPS sensor unit ? or is this issue with the Silver box itself?
Old 23rd July 2021, 14:22   #4635

Quote:
After that, I turned OFF and turned ON the key and now navigation gives an error "Navigation Not Available" please contact service center. Also observed it is not showing the e-manual.
Update on this issue. Today when I turned on the key to ACC, everything was working normal. Still not to take any chance, I visited the MASS. As soon as the technician checked the system and heard the issues, he said it is due to moisture( it has been raining heavily for last week and yes there is too much of moisture). in last 4+ years this is the first time car is idle at Mangalore through the monsoon.
As everything was working, he said he will upgrade the software, as my car had Ver 9 installed. In 30 mins the car was ready. Will observe this for few more days. Also planning to get some Silica to mitigate the moisture issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks