Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 18:25   #4591
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

My cousin brother wants to buy a SUV and he has shortlisted Mahindra XUV 500. His budget (maximum 15 lakhs) allows him to check vehicles after 2015. Any particular things to look out for and any particular years or variants to avoid? All pointers would be helpful. Thank you.
Old 13th November 2020, 19:09   #4592
Senior - BHPian

That kind of money can get you a brand new W5? Either he should be looking at a segment above with that kind of budget or he should tune down his budget in case he is keen on a pre owned XUV.
BANDHAV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 20:08   #4593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
1. If the sensor is malfunctioning an ECU scan will flag the malfunction
2. Have the brake pads removed in front of you and be shown the wear, and also check the brake discs. Compare it with a new set of brake pads and discs, if necessary post photos here.

Don't let either of these two be done out of your sight. Mahindra brake pads don't usually wear out in 20k km.
Was informed about this once I reached home. No option to see it F2F. I ended up giving the go-ahead since it was brakes and I couldn't take a chance.

what he told me in the evening was
- Front break pad was almost worn out, about 1 to 2mm left to the sensor and hence it didn't give a waring
- No sensor on the back break pad and they were worn out.
Old 14th November 2020, 01:37   #4594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
That kind of money can get you a brand new W5? Either he should be looking at a segment above with that kind of budget or he should tune down his budget in case he is keen on a pre owned XUV.
Carwale shows new XUV500 W5 to be around 16 lakhs with the current discounts. I will ask him to get quotes from the Dealers here. The reason for a used one was that he could get a higher variant (more airbags, etc) for almost the same price.
Old 15th November 2020, 11:50   #4595

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
My cousin brother wants to buy a SUV and he has shortlisted Mahindra XUV 500. His budget (maximum 15 lakhs) allows him to check vehicles after 2015. Any particular things to look out for and any particular years or variants to avoid? All pointers would be helpful. Thank you.
If looking for pre-owned, please check for rust. My 2.5years old xuv has started showing signs of serious rust problem. There's rust all over engine compartment, doors have rust formation here and there. Almost all screws have started rusting as well. Please be aware of this and do a thorough check. Hope this helped.
Archie81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 11:57   #4596

Hi,

Does anybody know where the reverse lamp switch is located and if it is accessible easily. My reverse lamp, sensor and camera stopped working a while ago. Service center guy checked everything and said the reverse switch needs replacement, costs around 200-300 bucks, but didn't have one in hand at that time to replace.

I was wondering if it was a straightforward DIY stuff, then I could order one online and get it done instead of going down to service center again.

Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 22:58   #4597
BHPian

Hi everyone, I need some advice with one of my XUV niggles. Planning to do a 1200km road trip next week and for the last week or so I randomly get the "Engine!" light on my instrument panel. One of the following 3 things are happening once every couple of days:

1. When I decelerate, the Engine light comes on and the car stalls. A complete shutdown from the key and restart solves the issue and I can keep driving without any Engine! light

2. While driving at full speed (60-80 kmph), the engine light comes on and I can feel the car is struggling to accelerate further (has happened only once so far)

3. The engine! light glows but there is no issue while driving. Once I shut down and restart the car the light disappears

I took the car to the A.S.S for an OBD scan and the following 3 errors came up (see attached):

P0521 - Engine Oil Pressure Switch Error
P1D87 - Rail Pressure Below Minimum Limit Error in Metering Unit Mode
P1B87 - Maximum Positive Deviation Of Rail Pressure Exceeded in Metering Unit Mode

Ordinarily, I would look at this very seriously and get a thorough check up done but my A.S.S center is swamped and I need to leave in 4 days. He says there is no way he can finish diagnostic for these codes in these 4 days as he has to start with fuel drainage, checking of quality, check strainer, check fuel filter (replaced in the last 1000 kms along with engine oil for the car's 140k service) and if the code is still not resolved , then they would need to inspect the oil pump and post that the common rail. He said, if the worst outcome happens, then the car may be in the service center for over 15 days.

He said the saving grace is that none of the error codes are coming up in red color and instead are green which means there is no serious error.

He has advised that I go ahead with my trip and give him the car upon my return for a thorough inspection.

I am adding to this niggles thread to ask the following questions:

1. Have other XUV owners faced similar Engine light issues and error codes?
2. Do you think this is a serious issue and I should avoid high speed long distance highway driving
3. The last part of diagnosis requires expensive labour - My car has done 145k odd kms in 7+ years of usage and I think it is closer to end of its useful life. I am not keen on spending potentially 25-50k on this and would consider changing my car as niggles have increased a lot in the last 10k kms of usage

Please let me know if you think a trip can still be made with this issue. FYI, deleting those codes made the engine light error disappear for now..
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20201120_162544.jpg  

Old 21st November 2020, 00:11   #4598
Senior - BHPian

If I were you I would never ever ever venture out with a car in such condition. Whatever kind of trip it is, work, fun, headache is just not worth it.

Look for an alternate vehicle, car rental, spare car from some friend/relative.

You can take the call anout keeping or letting go the XUV once you are back.
Old 26th November 2020, 18:19   #4599
BHPian

I drive a 2018 June W7 AT. The headlamps started fogging from June 2020 even during mild to moderate rain. I did observe this pattern getting bigger and bigger with every rain. Especially during heavy rain, almost half of the headlamp gets fogged. It remains for almost a day and leaves a mark after drying up.

I recently went for the 20000 kms service and raised this issue with the RM. RM also inspected and mentioned that there was no physical damage. He did raise a complaint on the same and M&M replied saying that it cannot be replaced under warranty as the fogging is in non-operational area of the headlamp.

I have now escalated to Dealer Service Head and Mahindra Customer Care. Mahindra confirms that the fogging/condensation is in non-operational area and cannot be replaced. They are reasoning that it is a common problem and every car faces this issues during rainy/winter seasons. I have driven the same car in the previous rainy seasons and there was never such a problem, it is only from the last few weeks. Is this rainy/winter season special. I have never seen a car with so much fogging/condensation. I am sure this will get worse over a period of time.

They are clearly dishonoring the warranty. He did also mention that it can be changed on a chargeable basis and cannot be replaced under warranty.

Three of my friends drive XUV, which are 3 and 5 years old. I have never seen this happen in their cars. I did also discuss the same with them and they did confirm that it has never occurred in their cars.

Can any of you suggest what should be my next step...
Old 26th November 2020, 19:16   #4600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbaramu View Post
I drive a 2018 June W7 AT. The headlamps started fogging from June 2020 even during mild to moderate rain. I did observe this pattern getting bigger and bigger with every rain. Especially during heavy rain, almost half of the headlamp gets fogged. It remains for almost a day and leaves a mark after drying up.
There's some sort of gap in the headlamp glass fitment that is allowing moisture to seep in. Remove the glass, clean the headlamp reflectors and glass, and then refit it - possibly with some glue added to cement the glass in place.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 10:06   #4601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
There's some sort of gap in the headlamp glass fitment that is allowing moisture to seep in. Remove the glass, clean the headlamp reflectors and glass, and then refit it - possibly with some glue added to cement the glass in place.
Finally, after weeks of discussion and numerous calls, they have agreed to replace it under warranty.
Old 7th December 2020, 15:58   #4602
BHPian

She's up for sale and has been listed on t-bhp classifieds - https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...a/XUV500.html/

If anyone is interested, do connect
Old 11th December 2020, 12:28   #4603
BHPian

My XUV (W6 2011) has developed a small leak at the joint where the fuel tank meets the fuel hose. I took it to the local Mahindra service centre in Mysore. Since they did not have a spare hose, they ve patched it up with insulation tape. I've placed an order for a spare hose and corresponding joint as well. It will take a day or two for the spare to be delivered. In the meanwhile, the patch of tape does nt seem to be effective. I have fuel leakage at the same place.

Is it safe to cover that leak up temporarily with m-seal? I don't intend to drive the car anywhere (other than to the service station).
Old 13th January 2021, 15:44   #4604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navad29 View Post
We just got our 50k servicing and were given a very high quote for a number of things like 8k for suspension bushing replacement. Hence we would like to have a second view taken on the issues quoted by MASS. Also, most of the time we give the car for a work, MASS gives back the car with more problems.
Hence the search for a reliable FNG.
Did you find a good FNG in Delhi NCR. I also need to get my 2011 W6 rear suspensions checked. Don't want to replace it unless it is really required as I would be using my XUV for a maximum of 6-7 month till I find a suitable replacement.

Last edited by Joy73US : 13th January 2021 at 15:46.
Old 23rd January 2021, 16:17   #4605
BHPian

hey guys
could any suggest a good place to get body work done on the XUV near Malad in Mumbai?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks