Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2020, 20:52   #4546
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Hi guys, thanks a lot for the information. Based on the information given above, my cousin decided to get work done at Authorized service center itself. M.A.S.S guys who were supposed to come yesterday came today and towed the vehicle to service center. They had an inspection sheet where they filled all details of vehicle, noted all the issues, scratches , dents , checked all electricals. strangely, even they couldn't pop open the hood. They wrote it down in the list too. One technician started the vehicle, slotted it in gear and asusual, the vehicle wouldn't move. He told that it might be clutch plate issue only. But he told he will let us know the repair estimate only once they disassemble the vehicle / clutch system.

While towing the vehicle, they kept XUV switched on. when I asked why, they told that brakes and steering should function. Yesterday when we got a tow truck to move from stranded point to home, the vehicle was connected through a rod and front wheels were lifted, so the vehicle need not be switched on. I think that type towing is much more efficient than the one used by M.A.S.S.
M.A.S.S charged 3K for pull type towing, while yesterday's crane type towing was just 800 rupees.

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_4332.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_4334.jpg
Old 6th September 2020, 19:26   #4547
BHPian

Hi guys,

I gave my xuv for servicing during these times thinking that it will help Mahindra continue their business. They had called and urged that I can get it done so I thought why not. Although the car is being hardly used these days but it also makes sense to keep it in good health.

Well the job wasn't upto the mark and they wanted to get many things done like brake pad etc. I would like to understand how frequently brake pads needs to be changed.

But More Importantly they screwed something and now my car honk blows arbitrarily. It's actually quite embarrassing at times. Today it was parked and when I return it was continuously blowing. It isn't the smart buzzer but the car honk. I plan to get it myself to the workshop, but can someone tell me if it is easy enough to disconnect the battery for the night. My society has old folks and it will be very embarrassing if it blows in the night. Please help how to do it.
Old 25th September 2020, 15:21   #4548
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I need a help.

I gave my W6 XUV500 for 30000Kms periodic service at CAI Mahindra, Pollachi. The only extra work I had was to replace the front brake pads as there was warning in the ICE and Instrument Cluster. Wierdly, I started facing pick up problems after the service. I never had this issue before and I can clearly feel the difference. There was a terrible lag at a lower end and the car lacked pulling power as well across all the gears. The service centre initially acknowledged the issue that this occured only after the service and tried replacing the air filter. Though I can still feel the lag, the service centre guys are unable to diagnose the problem so they would simply not acknowledge the issue.

Parts checked:
- Air filter (changed as well)
- Air flow sensor
- Vaccum modulator

I have complained to Mahindra customer care and CAI Mahindra has taken the car to their main branch in Coimbatore for diagnosis.

Any idea what could have gone wrong?

Thanks,
Ganesh
Old 25th September 2020, 15:22   #4549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshsp View Post
replace the front brake pads as there was warning in the ICE and Instrument Cluster. Wierdly, I started facing pick up problems after the service. I never had this issue before and I can clearly feel the difference. There was a terrible lag at a lower end and the car lacked pulling power as well across all the gears.
If they replaced the brake pads didn't they check to see that the new pads are properly installed? It seems like you are driving with the brakes on, right?
Old 25th September 2020, 15:32   #4550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If they replaced the brake pads didn't they check to see that the new pads are properly installed? It seems like you are driving with the brakes on, right?
I checked this. No warning lights. Also the car rolls free in slope without the engine running.
Old 25th September 2020, 15:35   #4551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I checked this. No warning lights. Also the car rolls free in slope without the engine running.
Have Mahindra run a scan on the engine to see if that shows any errors. Did they do that already?

And no check engine light or similar displaying right?

Also in any case check the brake pad installation.
Old 25th September 2020, 15:45   #4552
BHPian

Quote:
Have Mahindra run a scan on the engine to see if that shows any errors. Did they do that already?

And no check engine light or similar displaying right?

Also in any case check the brake pad installation.
Yes, they did run a scan but no errors popped up. They even shared some screen shots. Absolutely no indication in the Instrument cluster/ICE/Scan reports.
Old 26th September 2020, 09:17   #4553
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Roll the car with engine running, there is no pressure in brake system without engine running. Any different feel while braking, binding brakes will smell after a short drive.
Also have a good look at the clutch system,, if you don't feel confident in assessing it, have it checked by good neighborhood mechanic.
Since the problem emanated after service wherein fuel filter must have been replaced ask them to carry out fitment check, it could be breathing air into the fuel system at lower rpms. Do look for any leaks in the engine bay and below the car.
Old 26th September 2020, 19:34   #4554
BHPian

Quote:

I have complained to Mahindra customer care and CAI Mahindra has taken the car to their main branch in Coimbatore for diagnosis.
Update: My car was delivered today and I took it for a 15KM drive along with the technician. I did feel "some" improvement above the 3rd gear. However, the lag still exists and is prominent in the 1st and 2nd gears.

I asked them what was the problem and how did they conclude that it has been resolved. Apparently, it was due to a faulty EGR valve and the technician told me it was in the open state which is now fixed.

Not convinced, I did some googling and found that most results linked EGR valve with pollution control and less about Performance issues.

I don't know if the problem was really fixed or it's just a mind blocker. I couldn't immediately confirm. Mahindra asked me to sign the satisfaction note. I told them that I would confirm after driving it for atleast 100kms.

Last edited by ganeshsp : 26th September 2020 at 19:35. Reason: Removed extra text in the quotes
Old 26th September 2020, 19:41   #4555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
Roll the car with engine running, there is no pressure in brake system without engine running. Any different feel while braking, binding brakes will smell after a short drive.
Checked this today. Seems fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
Also have a good look at the clutch system,, if you don't feel confident in assessing it, have it checked by good neighborhood mechanic.
Since the problem emanated after service wherein fuel filter must have been replaced ask them to carry out fitment check, it could be breathing air into the fuel system at lower rpms. Do look for any leaks in the engine bay and below the car.
I specifically told Mahindra to inspect the Clutch and all spares that has been serviced, including the Fuel filter. They found nothing wrong, I was told.
Old 26th September 2020, 21:52   #4556
BHPian

I think its not a fair comment that you got from the workshop An open EGR should not compromise on the vehicle performance. It might be other way around as the engine now gets more oxygen to burn better!

Quote:
Update: My car was delivered today and I took it for a 15KM drive along with the technician. I did feel "some" improvement above the 3rd gear. However, the lag still exists and is prominent in the 1st and 2nd gears.

I asked them what was the problem and how did they conclude that it has been resolved. Apparently, it was due to a faulty EGR valve and the technician told me it was in the open state which is now fixed.

Not convinced, I did some googling and found that most results linked EGR valve with pollution control and less about Performance issues.

I don't know if the problem was really fixed or it's just a mind blocker. I couldn't immediately confirm. Mahindra asked me to sign the satisfaction note. I told them that I would confirm after driving it for atleast 100kms.
Old 29th September 2020, 12:00   #4557
Senior - BHPian

Dear fellow BHPians, my XUV500 has has done 86K KM now and i had last service done at 79K KM (80K KM regular service) in August 2019.

Nowadays while idling i find a burnt kind of odour from exhaust pipes. Does it just mean the oil is old or could it be some other reason like oil leaking? Although i noticed from dip stick that the oil has gotten dark as well. But as per the maintenance schedule, doesn't the oil needs to be changed at only every 20K KM interval? Whereas mine has done only about 7K KM after oil change.

Can other XUV500 owners please suggest more on this case if you have experienced it, if engine oil is the culprit for the burnt odour or if its also due to the fact that it has crossed 1 year after last oil change?

Please suggest which oil do you find the best suited for the car in your personal experience, apart from Maxmile FEO (which is 15W40 i believe).
Any honest suggestions and recommendations are very much appreciated.

Last edited by sridhar24 : 29th September 2020 at 12:16.
Old 29th September 2020, 13:06   #4558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
Can other XUV500 owners please suggest more on this case if you have experienced it, if engine oil is the culprit for the burnt odour or if its also due to the fact that it has crossed 1 year after last oil change?

Please suggest which oil do you find the best suited for the car in your personal experience, apart from Maxmile FEO (which is 15W40 i believe).
Any honest suggestions and recommendations are very much appreciated.
You must change your oil once a year regardless of KM. FEO is good upto 10k km or one year, or try this one. https://www.amazon.in/AMSOIL-Greaves.../dp/B076F44T5Q

ps - FEO is a 5w30 ACEA C3 is my guess, though Mahindra doesn't publish specs for this oil.
hserus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 14:35   #4559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You must change your oil once a year regardless of KM. FEO is good upto 10k km or one year, or try this one. https://www.amazon.in/AMSOIL-Greaves.../dp/B076F44T5Q

ps - FEO is a 5w30 ACEA C3 is my guess, though Mahindra doesn't publish specs for this oil.
Thank you for your quick response on my query. As suggested by you i see it is a fully synthetic oil, so what would be the change interval for this oil? Is it going to be 10K KM or 20K KM?
Also what is your opinion on others like Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 API or Mobil 1 Super 3000 Formula I 5W-40?
Old 29th September 2020, 14:41   #4560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
Thank you for your quick response on my query. As suggested by you i see it is a fully synthetic oil, so what would be the change interval for this oil? Is it going to be 10K KM or 20K KM?
Also what is your opinion on others like Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 API or Mobil 1 Super 3000 Formula I 5W-40?
If you do city driving as well change within 10k. As for the other two oils, they are not rated for the Scorpio or XUV
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks