Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2020, 14:00   #4531
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Question: Can driving in this state during the lockdown days pose any risk? Any self checks I can do to ensure the car is safe to drive? I am ok if the lights keep glowing for a month as long as there is no risk while driving

Please help

Thanks
Take a flashlight - open the bonnet and follow the brake lines from the Booster - to the ABS flashing unit - to each of the wheels, you may need to crawl under the car for this a bit or use a selfie stick or something like that for this. If you find any leaks - do not use the car. If there are no leaks, you can still drive it slowly.

I think sometime this week or next week the car workshops will open, not to worry.

Hope this helps.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 20:05   #4532

Hello everyone!
My family owns a XUV500 W8. The beast has clocked close to 45k in the past 7 years. Even though it's a relatively low mileage vehicle for it's age it still has its fair bit of niggles. Following are the list of niggles I am facing for which I have not been able to find the solution even after continuous visits to MASS:
1. Start/stop system doesn't work at all. It doesn't even blink for 7 seconds.
2. There's a significant power drop when the AC is turned on
3. There's leak of engine oil from the Stefa plug of camshaft on the right side of the engine (attaching a picture of the leak)
4. There's a very shrill ringing noise from the middle row seats which I'm not able to exactly pinpoint while driving on rough roads
5. The rear tailgate magnetic button isn't working at all.
6. There's a rattling noise from the front door when the windows are half way down
7. A loud creaking noise comes from the top of the instrument cluster while going over rough roads or patches

Any suggestions/DIY will be very much appreciated.

One benefit of these niggles is that I have started working on cars myself instead of relying on service centers and it gives a lot of happiness when you can actually fix them.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20200503_2001189392.jpg  

Old 3rd May 2020, 20:56   #4533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navad29 View Post
1. Start/stop system doesn't work at all. It doesn't even blink for 7 seconds.
2. There's a significant power drop when the AC is turned on
3. There's leak of engine oil from the Stefa plug of camshaft on the right side of the engine (attaching a picture of the leak)
4. There's a very shrill ringing noise from the middle row seats which I'm not able to exactly pinpoint while driving on rough roads
5. The rear tailgate magnetic button isn't working at all.
6. There's a rattling noise from the front door when the windows are half way down
7. A loud creaking noise comes from the top of the instrument cluster while going over rough roads or patches
I can think of the following.

1. Battery needs to be tested.
2. AC compressor/ idle control.
3. Most likely a perished O ring/ seal.
4. Plastic sleeves over the seat catches would have broken off, some tape should fix this.
5. Solenoid I'm guessing, most likely jammed.
6. The frame that secures glass onto the wonder mechanism needs to be tightened. Best to tighten all door window glass as well as alignment of the doors.
7. This I'm not sure, I'll say that I have heard this in my relative's similarly run XUV Mk1.

If you have a day to spend at the service center , all this can be fixed once lockdown is lifted.

5 & 6 are DIY, except door alignment.
Old 3rd May 2020, 22:18   #4534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I can think of the following.

1. Battery needs to be tested.
2. AC compressor/ idle control.
3. Most likely a perished O ring/ seal.
4. Plastic sleeves over the seat catches would have broken off, some tape should fix this.
5. Solenoid I'm guessing, most likely jammed.
6. The frame that secures glass onto the wonder mechanism needs to be tightened. Best to tighten all door window glass as well as alignment of the doors.
7. This I'm not sure, I'll say that I have heard this in my relative's similarly run XUV Mk1.

If you have a day to spend at the service center , all this can be fixed once lockdown is lifted.

5 & 6 are DIY, except door alignment.
Can you explain to me 4th point regarding seat catches?
Thanks a lot for the suggestions though! I will try these out and will post about the results.
Old 13th June 2020, 22:14   #4535
BHPian

Around six months back, I started hearing a peculiar high frequency whine/fan like sound, which used to come on and off. Initially I attributed it to the infotainment fan, but one day while switching driving duties with my wife, I happened to hear the sound in all its glory as I came around the bonnet. The sound was actually getting masked sitting inside with windows turned up. I got it looked at a nearby mahindra service centre and they replaced a vaccum modulator under warranty. A week back, I got the 4th annual service done. Since yesterday the car seems to get stuck at 1.5k rpm and accelerates very sluggishly post that. There does not seem to be an accelerator issue, as rpm climbs normally in neutral gear. The turbo seems to have gone kaput. The friendly SA is sending a mechanic with the small OBD sensor over the weekend. I doubt if it will pick up anything, since no warning lights are on. Could it be some hose or attachment that was displaced during service? The car has been impeccably maintained and single hand driven with just 24k on the odo. It is thankfully under extended warranty. But what happens post 5th year? I guess it's time to throw driving pleasure out of the window and go back to another trusty suzuki tincan.

Last edited by AseemYadav : 13th June 2020 at 22:29.
Old 14th June 2020, 05:16   #4536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AseemYadav View Post
A week back, I got the 4th annual service done. Since yesterday the car seems to get stuck at 1.5k rpm and accelerates very sluggishly post that. There does not seem to be an accelerator issue, as rpm climbs normally in neutral gear. The turbo seems to have gone kaput.
Do you hear whistling noises from the turbo?

Dirty air filter is possible if it’s an old one that they just gave it a quick clean and replaced it. Or a cut turbo hose.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 06:27   #4537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

Dirty air filter is possible if it’s an old one that they just gave it a quick clean and replaced it. Or a cut turbo hose.
No abnormal noises and no alarms, this time around. Will get the hoses checked. Thanks.
Old 17th June 2020, 16:47   #4538
BHPian

Quote:
Around six months back, I started hearing a peculiar high frequency whine/fan like sound, which used to come on and off. Initially I attributed it to the infotainment fan, but one day while switching driving duties with my wife, I happened to hear the sound in all its glory as I came around the bonnet. The sound was actually getting masked sitting inside with windows turned up. I got it looked at a nearby mahindra service centre and they replaced a vaccum modulator under warranty. A week back, I got the 4th annual service done. Since yesterday the car seems to get stuck at 1.5k rpm and accelerates very sluggishly post that. There does not seem to be an accelerator issue, as rpm climbs normally in neutral gear. The turbo seems to have gone kaput. The friendly SA is sending a mechanic with the small OBD sensor over the weekend. I doubt if it will pick up anything, since no warning lights are on. Could it be some hose or attachment that was displaced during service? The car has been impeccably maintained and single hand driven with just 24k on the odo. It is thankfully under extended warranty. But what happens post 5th year? I guess it's time to throw driving pleasure out of the window and go back to another trusty suzuki tincan.
Update on my previous post. The air filter had gone kaput. It is supposed to be replaced at 40k km or 5 yrs whichever is earlier. There is not even a perfunctory inspection mentioned in the service manual before that. The top foam layer had broken into pieces and blocked air entry.
The first photo shows the damaged top layer of the filter. Multiple square piece similar to the one on its right broke off and clogged the inlet.
Second photo shows the clogged inlet after partial cleaning.
Third photo shows the remainder filter.
My doubt is can these small foam particles damage the turbo or the engine. The model is a 2016 xuv w10 awd. I would recommend all xuv owners to get their filter inspected yearly and not wait for the 5 yearly mahindra mandated replacement. The car is back to being a workhorse that it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20200616_080203.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20200616_075422.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_20200617_074121.jpg  

AseemYadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 16:50   #4539
Senior - BHPian

The service manual recommends inspecting and cleaning the air filter and that is done.

You have had rats chew your air filter, looking at the damage caused. Best check whether they also chewed anything else eg the wiring.

Quote:
Update on my previous post. The air filter had gone kaput. It is supposed to be replaced at 40k km or 5 yrs whichever is earlier. There is not even a perfunctory inspection mentioned in the service manual before that. The top foam layer had broken into pieces and blocked air entry.
Old 17th June 2020, 17:00   #4540
BHPian

Quote:
The service manual recommends inspecting and cleaning the air filter and that is done.

You have had rats chew your air filter, looking at the damage caused. Best check whether they also chewed anything else eg the wiring.
The top foam had normal wear and tear, no bite marks. As such it is inside the plastic box. There is a plastic mesh on top, which has cut the top layer into neat little squares, one which is shown in the photo. Atleast 10-12 similar squares were blocking the inlet, which I threw away.
I have attached a screenshot of periodic maintenance, for ready reference. In my case the air filter had never been opened, going as per service manual. The orange tags that break off on first opening were intact.

Quote:

Bang on hserus. It turned out to be the air filter as pointed out by you.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-screenshot_20200616085728.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th June 2020 at 20:12. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote functionality (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts at once. Thanks!
Old 18th June 2020, 08:59   #4541
Senior - BHPian

So the filter just fell apart. Ouch.

Even if they say change the air filter every 40k km, feel free to clean it every 10k km and change it by 20k km, or even change it at the 10k mark depending on whether the area you are in is very dusty for some reason (eg road construction).

And once your car is out of warranty forget the Mahindra filters, buy Purolator or UFI Sofima brand air (and oil and cabin AC) filters.

Quote:
The top foam had normal wear and tear, no bite marks. As such it is inside the plastic box. There is a plastic mesh on top, which has cut the top layer into neat little squares, one which is shown in the photo. Atleast 10-12 similar squares were blocking the inlet, which I threw away.
hserus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 18:29   #4542
BHPian

Mahindra XUV premature clutch failure?

Hi everyone,

We have a 2013 XUV 5oo W8 variant which clocked only 82,xxx KMs. It was always serviced in M.A.S.S. Today morning the vehicle worked just fine, even the clutch was smooth. While coming back from work (from Gachibowli), my cousin felt lot of judder in the car and pick up drop, finally came to a halt near Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet. The engine is firing up, idling, but if we slot it into any gear and rev, the car doesn't move. The clutch pedal is also fine (No Master or Slave cylinder issue I presume.) There are no warning lights on the odometer. Also there's no burning smell at all. Strange thing is even the hood doesn't pop up.

We got it towed to our home with a third party towing truck company and pushed it to a safe parking place. We called M.A.S.S where we usually give for servicing and they asked details of the car and issue, and told that they'd send towing vehicle and technician for assessment today.

The car is mostly driven by my cousin with extremely light foot. He doesn't rev the vehicle unnecessarily or abuse the vehicle. He treats it like a baby. On behalf of him, I'd like to ask few questions:

1. Is 82K time for a clutch overhaul? Isn't it a little too early for an urban SUV which has never been abused (no offroading, single hand driven 90% of the times). Our Innova and Qualis had clutch replacement only after 150K+Kms.

2. How much does it cost for the complete clutch overhaul at M.A.S.S?

3. If we go for clutch overhaul, should we also ask them to change clutch cylinders as a proactive maintenance or is it not needed?

4. Can this work be carried in FNGs with same quality fit and finish?

5. Why couldn't we pop open the hood, the latch seems to be working but it doesn't open the bonnet. It's totally unrelated to clutch issue but it's very strange to see this happen. Generally if something fails, we tend to open the hood and examine what the issue is, but here the hood doesn't open at all!!

Replies will be much appreciated.

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 12th August 2020 at 18:50. Reason: Typo
Old 13th August 2020, 07:45   #4543
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling you have rat bite issues in your wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Mahindra XUV premature clutch failure?
We have a 2013 XUV 5oo W8 variant which clocked only 82,xxx KMs. It was always serviced in M.A.S.S. Today morning the vehicle worked just fine, even the clutch was smooth. While coming back from work (from Gachibowli), my cousin felt lot of judder in the car and pick up drop, finally came to a halt near Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet. The engine is firing up, idling, but if we slot it into any gear and rev,
Old 13th August 2020, 12:12   #4544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. Is 82K time for a clutch overhaul? Isn't it a little too early for an urban SUV which has never been abused (no offroading, single hand driven 90% of the times). Our Innova and Qualis had clutch replacement only after 150K+Kms.
All cars do not have the same kind of clutch - the XUV uses a dual mass flywheel design and is self adjusting (low noise, low vibration, consistent pedal action etc), therefore it needs to be checked and replaced at the first sign of clutch wear. Unlike the older vehicles like a Bolero the clutch will not drive for too long once its worn out.

Turbo diesel with VGT, that Mhawk engine can be very unkind to the clutch it the driver has not used it properly. 82K is actually very good mileage for that clutch if you ask me, they do not last that long often.

Please replace the full kit (Mater,slave cylinder, bearing, clutch kit, dual mass flywheel) , . I think it costs around ~34K + INR. (Assuming clutch is worn out)

Last edited by Kosfactor : 13th August 2020 at 12:14.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 12:38   #4545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The engine is firing up, idling, but if we slot it into any gear and rev, the car doesn't move. The clutch pedal is also fine (No Master or Slave cylinder issue I presume.
1. The ODO reading mentioned is around the same when XUV clutches needs to be replaced. Since the Gachibowli - Bengumpet section is a high traffic section, so if it was regularly driven in that route, that too can be a reason.
However, the behavior of the vehicle is not that of a typical clutch failure.

2. Around 19K including labor.

3. Yes. The above mentioned cost is inclusive of that.

4. Not an issue, depends on the FNG.

5. Looks like a separate issue. Hood opening is a cable driven mechanism, so it should not be related to other issue.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks