Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2015, 08:48   #3676
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

I have had this experience where different technical persons have differed on whether the brake noise was coming from the left hand side or the right hand side. This is hardly reassuring, because unless a problem is diagnosed correctly it is very unlikely that it will be resolved properly.

I also get the impression that M&M does not keep track of the actual work done on a vehicle in the past. I had to take my vehicle to 3 service centres to fix the same issue with the brakes, and each time it was as if I was going for the first time. They did not know what was done to the vehicle in the previous visits. Is this the common practice for all manufacturers, or is M&M doing it differently?

Tx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp95 View Post
Thanks SDP for your concern. I took the delivery from the workshop now and the SA told that the noise appeared to come from rear but actually was coming from front.
Old 6th December 2015, 20:28   #3677
BHPian

Hi All,
I returned from my Ladakh trip last month and i felt soo proud when i got my W10's 2nd service at Leh! Issues encountered were:

* GPS went kaput at Turtuk(the last Indian village towards North-West) and refused to start, had to entirely rely on offline maps.
*A broken stone-guard as i had to take the deadly Agham-Shyok route, it was later replaced at Mandi(HP) @ 2300 Rs. Surprisingly it wasn't available at Chandigarh!

After i came back to B'lore i took my XUV twice to Anant cars(Bannerghatta road) to sort out the GPS issue and rectify the issue with the front brakes(a screeching sound appears when i apply the brake and its recently accompanied by a grinding sound too)

They apparently updated the GPS S/W and "cleaned" all the brake pads, but still in vain. It still says weak GPS signal and the screeching sound of the brakes persists. I intend to get the work done in front of me tomorrow.

I still feel that it offers excellent VFM barring few niggles, there were days where i had to drive ~1200 kms a day and what a delightful experience it was It started at single crank at -9 degrees, truly a gem of an engine!
Zahoor23 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 13:04   #3678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahoor23 View Post
It still says weak GPS signal and the screeching sound of the brakes persists.
Congrats on being LEH'ed!

If you have anything kept on the dash where there is sensor/ glove box at the top, the signal reception quality decreases.
Old 7th December 2015, 15:10   #3679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritesh_Dogar View Post
Did they say what is the issue with the Battery?
Battery replacement was not done for my vehicle on Friday. They were not able to get the spare battery it seems. Might get it done after two weeks.

On checking the details about the recall, RM informed that none of them any detail on the same and it was a new thing to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arao View Post
Rattling sound from the brake
I too have this issue. I was having a doubt that it was due to calipers getting loose. Went to get it fixed and service guys insisted it was due to a faulty suspension and replaced the suspension. The sound disappeared for few days, however after recent rains it has come up again. Will have to get it checked again.

I too hear the same thud sound when engaging HDC, however I guess that is normal based on feedback from other XUV owners.

Quote:
A broken stone-guard as i had to take the deadly Agham-Shyok route, it was later replaced at Mandi(HP) @ 2300 Rs. Surprisingly it wasn't available at Chandigarh!
Congrats on Leh trip and more so for conquering the Shyok route.

Stone guard is a flimsy afterthought, I was thinking it was priced around Rs 1000.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 21:58   #3680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Re. rattling sound from the brake

I too have this issue. I was having a doubt that it was due to calipers getting loose. Went to get it fixed and service guys insisted it was due to a faulty suspension and replaced the suspension. The sound disappeared for few days, however after recent rains it has come up again. Will have to get it checked again..
Please let us know how this gets resolved. In my case the lower arm was replaced on the right hand side, and the next day the 'cotec' insisted that the noise was in fact coming from the left side. I guess the old lower arm was put back, but M&M keeps no documentation of these things as far as I can see.

Tx
Old 7th December 2015, 22:06   #3681
BHPian

Quote:
After i came back to B'lore i took my XUV twice to Anant cars(Bannerghatta road) to sort out the GPS issue and rectify the issue with the front brakes(a screeching sound appears when i apply the brake and its recently accompanied by a grinding sound too)

They apparently updated the GPS S/W and "cleaned" all the brake pads, but still in vain. It still says weak GPS signal and the screeching sound of the brakes persists. I intend to get the work done in front of me tomorrow.

I still feel that it offers excellent VFM barring few niggles, there were days where i had to drive ~1200 kms a day and what a delightful experience it was It started at single crank at -9 degrees, truly a gem of an engine!
Indeed an excellent vehicle barring the few niggles.
The cabin is so well insulated that brake screech initially is audible only when the window glass is down. I had this experience coming from Ooty via the Sigur Ghat.

Just out of curiosity, how many hours do you drive when you cover 1200 km in a day?

Cheers.
Old 7th December 2015, 22:12   #3682
BHPian

Hi members. Today I faced my first major failure with my 50800 km XUV W8. We took our XUV from Yelagiri hills in Tamil Nadu to a major town (Tirupattur) travelling about 30 kms and we planned on returning back to Yelagiri after we finished our work. On my way from Ponneri (base of the hills) to Yelagiri Hills, we stopped for a tea break. Once I came back inside the car and cranked the engine and pressed the clutch, it went straight in and did not retract back as it should. I had to pull the clutch pedal back and after I turned off and started my car multiple times, it still stayed that way and I was not able to engage any gear. I thought the clutch pad worn out and immediately my dad hired an auto and went the nearest car mechanic shop, who was kind enough to come along with my dad to our car stranded.

He immediately popped the hood and looked inside the clutch oil chamber and found that the chamber was empty. Then, he slid under the engine bay firewall of the car to check something and later came out and informed us that the clutch slave cylinder has gone capput and needs to be replaced. In the meantime, I was talking to Mahindra Customer service to arrange for a tow vehicle and they said that the nearest service station person will call you within the next 15 minutes. More than 20 minutes, with the local mechanic diagnosing the problem by asking his assistant bring in some brake fluid, I called the Service Manager of Mahindra Service Station at Vellore which is the closest. He said that he will arrange for a tow vehicle and get back as soon as possible. The local mechanic said that he can source the clutch cylinder as he knows someone who can bring it within 1 hour and tow our vehicle to his shop that is situated just half a mile away from the place the XUV failed. He called and confirmed that the part is readily available and will be availed in a couple of hours. The price of the clutch cylinder is 5300 rupees + labour charges. My dad felt that if Mahindra sends a tow vehicle to the Service Station at Vellore, it will take atleast 2 to 3 days to get the car back as there are many cars affected by floods in Tamil Nadu and a long queue will be there at service stations. Hence we decided to have the local mechanic who seems to be experienced with XUV500 and said that already he fixed an XUV with a similar problem not long ago. He promised that they will start repairing the car tomorrow morning and will hand over the vehicle by evening.

Now here are my doubts,

- We missed our 50000 kms service due and since there has been heavy flooding across many parts of Chennai, we were not able to reach any service stations in Chennai. If we had serviced the car, would the clutch failure been avoided?

- If the clutch cylinder is leaking fluids, why didn't the onboard infotainment system alert me while I was driving.

- Is 50000 kms very soon for the clutch to give up? The mechanic told us that the XUV should run without any clutch failure for over a lakh kilometers if driven properly. Why did the clutch fail on us? Mostly me, my dad and my brother drive the XUV and we do not like to drive rashly. What driving styles can be adopted to avoid this problem again in the future?
Old 7th December 2015, 23:38   #3683
BHPian

I was glad that I did not have to write about any significant niggles about my 6 months old XUV, but the happy spell came to an end after driving in the rain.

1. Mist formed inside both the headlight units - It was a problem with the earlier batches but haven't seen any such issues reported lately. Seems to have resurfaced with the face lifted model.

2. Wipers started shuddering after put in for use for a while

Haven't had the chance to take it to the service station yet. Will do it in a couple of weeks and post the update.

Also, the low beam was extremely inadequate in rains (Though it is not technically a niggle) and needs an upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_0504.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_0505.jpg  

WildInstincts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 10:25   #3684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthick_b View Post
Why did the clutch fail on us? Mostly me, my dad and my brother drive the XUV and we do not like to drive rashly. What driving styles can be adopted to avoid this problem again in the future?
The clutch problem in XUV is like the Kashmir problem and doesn't seem to go away. Please update us with the year of manufacture of your XUV.
Clutch wears out faster if
1. You tend to drive with your left foot on the pedal. You may be depressing it a bit while driving. The same goes when you start accelerating the car while dropping the clutch slowly (some petrol cars may need this).
2. Half clutch driving in traffic conditions.
sriram.raghavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 10:31   #3685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildInstincts View Post
1. Mist formed inside both the headlight units.

2. Wipers started shuddering after put in for use for a while.
For headlights - do check if there are any loose sealing at the back of it. If you had replaced bulbs etc, it may have not been fit properly. If that is not the case, MASS should replace it to avoid further issues.

About wipers - that is simple fix but you got to visit MASS. Nothing much to worry. It just needs to be tuned after a while! Funny but true.
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 12:12   #3686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
For headlights - do check if there are any loose sealing at the back of it. If you had replaced bulbs etc, it may have not been fit properly. If that is not the case, MASS should replace it to avoid further issues.

About wipers - that is simple fix but you got to visit MASS. Nothing much to worry. It just needs to be tuned after a while! Funny but true.
Thanks. Guess you are right about sealing not fixed properly I did replace the bulbs and got it fixed by an electrician and he had tough time fixing the bulbs. Quite possible that he did not fix the seal properly. Will have it checked by MASS. My 5K service is also due.
Old 13th December 2015, 16:36   #3687
BHPian

Update: Gave the XVU for 5K service and mentioned to the service centre of the headlight fogging issue. When they delivered the car post the service they told me that the rubber seal behind the bulbs were not fixed properly and they have fixed it now and it should take care of the issue. However, upon returning home I found the headlights fogged again (the vehicle was water serviced before they delivered to me). Though the fog area is limited in the pic, it fogs up a whole lot in rains. Went back to the service station next day and showed the pictures. They refuse to accept this as an issue at all. Since the functional area (area in front of the headlights) are not fogged, this is not eligible for replacement. Also, they mentioned that all XUVs have such fogging and it is normal. I never had such issues in any of my cars. Even the humble 800 never had this issue and now I am told that it is normal for the 18 Lakh car and I should just ignore and move on. Anyway, no amount of talking helped. Finally I asked them to put a job card and deliver the car back stating whatever they want to say. They finally obliged and issued the job card and delivered the car back with the comment that there is no abnormality found.

Now, I need your views on the below

1. Is it really normal for the headlights to be fogged up? It fogs whole lot more than what is in the pictures. I need to drive in the rain and take another set of pictures or give the vehicle a water wash and take picture.

2. I am of the opinion that such fogging will gradually make the reflectors become dull over time. Is that right?

3. What can I do next given that the dealer says it is normal?

Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_0521.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_0549.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_0563_1.jpg  

Old 14th December 2015, 01:35   #3688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildInstincts View Post
3. What can I do next given that the dealer says it is normal?
It is not normal and should be fixed or replaced.
Best you can do is send those pics to customer care email address with all the details and hopefully you will get a reply back from them and a call from your dealer to bring the car back to fix it.
falconion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 17:10   #3689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriram.raghavan View Post
The clutch problem in XUV is like the Kashmir problem and doesn't seem to go away.
1. You tend to drive with your left foot on the pedal. You may be depressing it a bit while driving. The same goes when you start accelerating the car while dropping the clutch slowly (some petrol cars may need this).
2. Half clutch driving in traffic conditions.
your comparison is spot-on.

Regarding driving conditions / manner and clutch issues. I guess with half clutch or slipping the clutch the issue should be limited to clutch plates?

Cylinder issue I guess is related to an old XUV manufacturing defect, not reported in XUV's post 2013 end updates.
Old 15th December 2015, 22:54   #3690
BHPian

Hi all,
I had posted earlier regarding the screeching sound from the brakes(front) of new age XUV . I took it twice to the service center and seems like there isn't any solution to it from their end.

First diagnosis: they told that they have cleaned the brake pads and the sound shouldn't appear again.

It re-occurred, and I took it again and got the brake pads and disc cleaned in front of me.
Still the screeching sound persists when I apply the brake.

The vehicle has run 17000 kms and the mechanic says that the front brake pads will last only for ~1000kms more. Isn't it a little early for the brake pads to get worn out? Should I wait for the warning in the infotainment system before getting them replaced?
Thank you..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks