Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2015, 12:06   #3421
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel9999 View Post
Mahindra is replacing the infotainment units in the New XUV 500. Mine is a white W10 and I was one of the first to point out issues with the phone connectivity. Looks like there is a problem in the hardware. The unit is being replaced free of cost and software is being updated as well. Will post pictures of the process.
Another owner had also told me about the infotainment system getting replaced.

Looks like, after stabilizing the buggy Nippon system over 2-3 years, M&M have started afresh with new set of defects on the all new system from the same manufacturer. With all the trouble that Nippon has given in the previous version, I was somehow sure that M&M would choose a better vendor for the facelift. Somehow M&M still have faith in Nippon and their product quality.
Old 29th July 2015, 12:40   #3422
BHPian

Looks like the infotainment system in the new XUV is a Visteon unit. The service guys are saying that all infotainment units in the first batch of the new XUV 500's are being replaced free of cost .

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-imageuploadedbyteambhp1438153681.456412.jpg

Two days ago, my signal lights stopped working. The service centre guys diagnosed the problem as a failed combination stalk . It is also being replaced now, free of charge.

I am still at the service centre. Will post more pics soon.
Diesel9999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 13:10   #3423
BHPian

While the 10K service was being done on my XUV, the SA pointed that the front brake pads are almost due for a change and should be replaced. I told that the vehicle has just completed 10,700 odd Kms and I dont think brake pads should wear out so early, also I mentioned that XUV brake pads have a warning system and the warning on the Infotainment screen is not being displayed as of now and there is no need of a replacement presently.

The vehicle currently stands at 12K KM, the issue I am facing currently is while driving the icon for the Hand Brake Engaged lights up simultaneously and goes off also a warning is displayed on the Infotainment screen which says "Brake Oil Level Low". The message on the infotainment screen and the icon come up intermittently and go away. The vehicle brakes normally except the braking noise which comes as soon as the brake pedal is pushed. The brake doesnt lack the initial bite as well.

I am planning to take the vehicle to the Service Centre but I am afraid they will still tell the same story of replacing the brake pads. I have not checked the brake oil level in the car. Can anybody shed some light on the issue.
Old 29th July 2015, 14:14   #3424
BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra is replacing the infotainment units in the New XUV 500. Mine is a white W10 and I was one of the first to point out issues with the phone connectivity. Looks like there is a problem in the hardware. The unit is being replaced free of cost and software is being updated as well. Will post pictures of the process.
Can you pls indicate the exact issue you faced with phone connectivity? I got the W10 delivery on last weekend and I need to keep an eye on this issue, if it warrants to get the infotainment unit replaced.
Old 29th July 2015, 19:37   #3425
BHPian

Quote:

Is the replacement limited to W10? I got a W6 a week back which has the monochrome infotainment screen. Haven't seen a phone connectivity issue with it so far. What exactly is the problem?
Old 30th July 2015, 08:26   #3426
BHPian

Quote:
This resolves a lot of questions in my mind. A big 'NO' to XUV. Avinash (abirnale) posted about the chrome lining falling off from the rear. Tanveer had an issue with the bonnet sensor. You have mentioned rattles in your post. SDP has mentioned rattles. And now the infotainment system going kaput. XUV has a long way to go before it delivers optimum quality.
Old 30th July 2015, 10:40   #3427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Panch View Post
This resolves a lot of questions in my mind. A big 'NO' to XUV. Avinash (abirnale) posted about the chrome lining falling off from the rear. Tanveer had an issue with the bonnet sensor. You have mentioned rattles in your post. SDP has mentioned rattles. And now the infotainment system going kaput. XUV has a long way to go before it delivers optimum quality.
The space, the drive, handling of this monster is unmatched. Once you put your feet on accelerator, all these niggles become inconsequential. I also used to feel why people love XUV so much, once I drove it, I got the answer.
Indian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 11:37   #3428
BHPian

Recently I'd taken an XUV-500 from Zoom-Car for a 2-day, 500 Kms trip.
While I was really impressed with the cruising ability of the XUV, there was a 'niggle' with the HVAC system.
The A/C fan wouldn't turn on after a stop even though the A/C switch was 'ON'.
Sometimes, switching on & off the recirculate / defogger switch would cause the fan to work, but most times it didn't.
Is this a known niggle with the HVAC system on the XUV (?), is there a deterministic way of getting the A/C fan to work ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
The space, the drive, handling of this monster is unmatched.
Once you put your feet on accelerator, all these niggles become inconsequential.
I also used to feel why people love XUV so much, once I drove it, I got the answer.
That is so true ! The XUV has got some impressive legs !
Even at 100+ Kmph, when you put your foot down, it just takes off like you've lit afterburners or something.
The trip was a mix of 4-lane NH & 2-lane SH & typically takes 5 hours to complete ( in Fogo, EcoSport, etc. ), but in the XUV I was able to do the trip in ~3.5 Hours !
Apart from the HVAC issue, was really impressed with the XUV, a "beast" indeed...
Old 30th July 2015, 11:39   #3429
BHPian

Quote:
Can you pls indicate the exact issue you faced with phone connectivity? I got the W10 delivery on last weekend and I need to keep an eye on this issue, if it warrants to get the infotainment unit replaced.

The infotainment system used to shut down automatically sporadically, when connected to the phone. It used to restart on its own. Used to happen only when the phone was connected to it. Service advisor says that the units affected belong to the first batch only. So you may not need to worry. If you experience any issues, get it replaced free of cost at your Dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash22 View Post
Is the replacement limited to W10? I got a W6 a week back which has the monochrome infotainment screen. Haven't seen a phone connectivity issue with it so far. What exactly is the problem?

As far as I know, there is no issue with the monochrome units. I just described the problem in the post above

Quote:

There are niggles. Yes. But then the mechanicals are very strong and the driving pleasure offered by the XUV will make you forgive all the faults. I had issues with the chrome lining as well.

Mahindra is also very proactive when it comes to replacing stuff under warranty. So I am more than happy with my purchase.

Quote:
The space, the drive, handling of this monster is unmatched. Once you put your feet on accelerator, all these niggles become inconsequential. I also used to feel why people love XUV so much, once I drove it, I got the answer.

Bingo. Nicely summed up.
Diesel9999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 12:51   #3430
adu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Another owner had also told me about the infotainment system getting replaced.

Looks like, after stabilizing the buggy Nippon system over 2-3 years, M&M have started afresh with new set of defects on the all new system from the same manufacturer. With all the trouble that Nippon has given in the previous version, I was somehow sure that M&M would choose a better vendor for the facelift. Somehow M&M still have faith in Nippon and their product quality.
To add on to what SDP has mentioned, Mahindra has not been able to move away from Nippon for whatever reason. I was recently talking to one of their engineers from the R&D team in Chennai and he was mentioning about the pain they face in sorting out the issues that crop up. Nippon has just not been able to resolve the complex integration issues in the XUV. On the other hand, Nippon also supplies to Maruti and given the systems in all the Maruti cars are basic and not ICE, they are niggle free. Could be a cost issue which prohibits Mahindra from looking at better vendors.

Quote:
Looks like the infotainment system in the new XUV is a Visteon unit. The service guys are saying that all infotainment units in the first batch of the new XUV 500's are being replaced free of cost .

Attachment 1396882
Diesel9999, Nippon is the name of the marketing entity and Visteon is the name of the manufacturing/ assembly entity. This was confirmed by the person from Nippon who I recently met during my visit to the MASS. Finally, these are all sourced from China and branded under different names and marketed. The earlier version of XUV also has Visteon manufactured units.

Last edited by adu : 30th July 2015 at 12:53.
adu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 14:07   #3431
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think you are missing the point.

XUV has never been a "zero defect/zero niggles" perfect car. Going by the progress that they have made till now and based on my understanding of how M&M operates, I don't believe M&M can come out with a "zero defect" product even in next 10-15 years, if ever. With the increasing number of complexities that each manufacturer is adding to the modern cars, most likely very soon no manufacturer can claim "zero-defect" tag.

Why the owners love the XUV is not because its perfect, but because of the overwhelming positives it has. The powerful and quick engine, the comfort during day-long drives, the sheer road-presence and respect the vehicle has, the affordable price tag and countless features that the competition is just about catching up on after 4 years.

I have heard decisions like yours from people who have not experienced the XUV enough. At the same time, I have hardly come across an owner who has sold his XUV because he was frustrated with the niggles. Just take a look at how many repeat customers like Tanveer you would find, who have used the first gen xuv for 60-80 or even 100 thousand KMs, faced niggles and still bought the new age XUV as it is still a compelling proposition.

Last edited by SDP : 30th July 2015 at 14:12.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 14:29   #3432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I think you are missing the point.

XUV has never been a "zero defect/zero niggles" perfect car. Going by the progress that they have made till now and based on my understanding of how M&M operates, I don't believe M&M can come out with a "zero defect" product even in next 10-15 years, if ever. With the increasing number of complexities that each manufacturer is adding to the modern cars, most likely very soon no manufacturer can claim "zero-defect" tag.

Why the owners love the XUV is not because its perfect, but because of the overwhelming positives it has. The powerful and quick engine, the comfort during day-long drives, the sheer road-presence and respect the vehicle has, the affordable price tag and countless features that the competition is just about catching up on after 4 years.

I have heard decisions like yours from people who have not experienced the XUV enough. At the same time, I have hardly come across an owner who has sold his XUV because he was frustrated with the niggles. Just take a look at how many repeat customers like Tanveer you would find, who have used the first gen xuv for 60-80 or even 100 thousand KMs, faced niggles and still bought the new age XUV as it is still a compelling proposition.
And look at me, i own the very first batch XUV (which people "think" is a niggle prone batch) and done 60K kms till now and still love her as much as i did 4 years back. Nothing is perfect in this world.
nitinralli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 15:04   #3433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
And look at me, i own the very first batch XUV (which people "think" is a niggle prone batch) and done 60K kms till now and still love her as much as i did 4 years back. Nothing is perfect in this world.
I don't intend to turn this into XUV defence but note - another Bhpian - VellVector has an XUV that was rolled out as part of first 100 ever to come out of factory! And one other XUV in his work place has done 400K Kms on the odo!

Of course there are niggles. At times irritating, frustrating and may seems to be out of world too. But that experience is negated by excellent M&M service support. The vehicle behaviour and driving experience will ensure it to be great.

Last edited by abirnale : 30th July 2015 at 15:08.
Old 30th July 2015, 16:00   #3434
Team-BHP Support

My 2012 batch XUV has suffered its second major issue. Just after I bought the vehicle it suffered a complete PS failure which warranted a big work for 2 days at the SS. Post that it never ever gave me any issue worth talking about. That was till today morning...

I got in on to the driver's seat of my XUV today after 3 days. It was not used on Mon, Tue and Wed. When I parked it on Sunday everything was fine. And yet today when I started the vehicle I realized that the ACC is just not cooling the vehicle. It was the regular warm air that was coming out of the vents.

Took a detour and went to SS. As always it was a jam packed SS with no space to even move around. Found my trusted SA out. Told him the problem and the first thing he checked is "aap extended warranty to le liye they naa?". The car just went out of its initial 3 years' warranty around 2 months back. So now it is covered under the extended 2 years' warranty. The moment I heard the query on extended warranty I knew something bad was coming.

So the SA took me to one of the bays where an XUV was being worked upon by 3 technicians. They were working on the AC. According to the SA its an oft reported issue with the initial batches of XUVs and often needs either a coil change or the evaporator replacement. And the process to do that gave me the shivers. The XUV parked in the bay had its entire front internals out... it was a fiery sight. The dash board, steering column, the center console everything was ripped out.

The earliest available appointment is on next Tuesday. So I need to either drive around a boiling pressure cooker till then or else park it back in the cellar and use the other car. Also, they need a minimum of 2 days to complete the work. I am now worried whether this ripping apart and then reassembly of all those components will affect the vehicle. The rattles, the sensor issues... 1000s of things that can go wrong here!

PS: Looking at the labor intensive and complex thing this work is, I am not very sure what will be the cost if one needs to get it done outside of warranty! And yet if you look at the AC related work done in most vehicles it is all done in the engine bay. Don't know why everything about XUV, starting right from a headlight bulb change to AC work is so very complex.

Last edited by Zappo : 30th July 2015 at 16:29.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 16:37   #3435
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
....According to the SA its a often reported issue with the initial batches of XUVs and often needs either a coil change or the evaporator replacement. And the process to do that gave me the shivers. The XUV parked in the bay had its entire front internals out... it was a fiery sight. The dash board, steering column, the center console everything was ripped out.
Sorry to hear about the trouble.

If you are anyways getting the dashboard opened, please get the new "External Air Flow Shutter" as well. That would solve the outside-smells-creeping-in issue.

More details here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3733816

Please do keep us posted about the final costs.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks