Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2015, 21:59   #3256
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

I know of a W8 of my colleague where the mice went on a rampage one night. Destroyed the wiring bit through the loom at many places and mostly through the insulation and copper et al. The agency refused to do the patchwork and replaced the loom completely took about 2 weeksfor the cheetah to be back. I have a query as I have seen the extent of damages is it possible for rats to burn down a car.
Hold on members the logic behind the thought process is the Rat bites the wire loom causing a short circuit this generates sparks if the sparks happen near inflammable material like mat or plastic or fabric it will ignite.
Just a thought not heard of any incident but then who can attribute a burned down car to rat menace it will generally be pinpointed to short circuit.
RajeVenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 11:27   #3257

I was facing an issue of some 'tak tak' noise. I noticed this in the first week itself. It would always happen when I would reverse into my parking which is bit higher than the road level. And this noise was repeatable on any slope and in reverse.

Waited till 1st service and ASC said they have re torqued and issue is no longer there. Did a trip to the ROK and issue was still unresolved.
Again ASC tried to fix it by keeping it for a day, yet issue was not resolved.

I wrote to customer care asking for their help. Told them I'm ready to travel anywhere in my state to the best ASC they suggest to resolve the issue. If they feel the issue is minor give me in writing that its safe to continue driving the vehicle.

Soon after some regional customer service officer called and convinced me to go to another ASC inn Pune. I visited and got the job done in front of me. Initially the engineers directly started tightening all bolts etc. I was shocked that they were not even using torque wrenches. So escalated again to the regional manager. He scolded the local fellows.

After that the engineers removed all wheels and re torqued all bolts etc including axle. Issue was sill not resolved. So they changed some suspension rubber bush etc. And finally the noise has gone.

Lesson learned - go via customer service if there is doubt about incapacity of ASS people or their laziness in doing any work properly.
adityabhelke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 15:58   #3258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Outside smell seeping in has always been a problem even with the AC in recirculation mode. But it was still OK with me, till recently, as I only smelt it occasionally when the car was driven through long streches of smoke or stink outside.

But nowadays, it appears the smell just seeps in the moment I drive into a smoke or stink. During my last trip to kerala, I had to lower my windows multiple times to clear the air especially after driving behind a smoke emitting truck or auto or a stinking stretch.

I have heard the only way to get this sorted out is to remove the entire dash and reassemble it. Not something which I actually wanted to do and the reason I decided to bear with the issue so far. But the smell seeping in so strongly, especially when its the poisonous gases emitted by the vehicles, I really would want to get it sorted out for good. So anyone has got this smell issue sorted out by this approach or some other way...

FundaG
I am facing the exact same issue like you mentioned. The issue was always present but was not so prominent earlier. Since the last month or so, it has become more pronounced.

My Vehicle stands at 28,000 kms and will get this sorted during the 30k service.

Anyone who has faced this issue and can shed any light on the possible solution would be really great.

Cheerzzz

- Sisu
Old 21st April 2015, 14:14   #3259
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
I know of a W8 of my colleague where the mice went on a rampage one night. Destroyed the wiring bit through the loom at many places and mostly through the insulation and copper et al. The agency refused to do the patchwork and replaced the loom completely took about 2 weeksfor the cheetah to be back. I have a query as I have seen the extent of damages is it possible for rats to burn down a car.
Hold on members the logic behind the thought process is the Rat bites the wire loom causing a short circuit this generates sparks if the sparks happen near inflammable material like mat or plastic or fabric it will ignite.
Just a thought not heard of any incident but then who can attribute a burned down car to rat menace it will generally be pinpointed to short circuit.
Yes, its possible. Scary thought that.

BTW, how much did your colleague ended up paying for the new wiring + labour? Pretty sure it wasn't covered under warranty.
Old 24th April 2015, 12:20   #3260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
In that case it might be from the steering system and not suspension.

This is plain stupidity by M&M. When the sound was still present after trying the suspension from another XUV, isn't it obvious that the suspension is not the issue?

BTW, when you say the entire suspension kit is being replaced, can you please list out the parts? There are quite a few parts in the suspension and replacing all of them just because they are not able to isolate the problem does not make sense.
@SDP : With my newly delivered Suspension KIT, the entire noise issue from the left suspension area has been sorted. I was very happy to see that the noise no longer persists post the change of suspension and the whole work is for free.

So to answer your question, I may not be able to name the exact part which is being replaced, but surely once I take a pic of it, you may be able to recognize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Outside smell seeping in has always been a problem even with the AC in recirculation mode.
FundaG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
I am facing the exact same issue like you mentioned.
Anyone who has faced this issue and can shed any light on the possible solution would be really great.
@Sisu/FundaG - My XUV is on 45K and has been living with this issue for quite some time. Along with my suspension and center cooler cover replacement I had the AC external air seeping in issue also on Agenda.

According to the WM at KTC Mahindra.

>Though this is a know issue, there are no Circulars from Mahindra on sorting this issue

>At TVS Cochin, they remove the dash board and then check whether the shutter is functioning well, most of the cases the shutters work fine. But what they do next is insulate the area with some synthetic (do not know the material used) sheets and then keep the dash back. -- Does that work well ? Neither the TVS guys or the KTC guy knows. But that's what they have been doing till date.
> With almost 4 customers with the same issue including me, Mahindra is setting up in person meetings b/w tech experts from the plant and customers, and soon we should have a solution.

What I assume is, it should anyway be more of an issue with complete sealing/insulation of the area and less of mechanical issue with the Air Flow mechanism.
I shall update once I get the feedback from them.
On the forum we should anyway have some good number of BHPians who had the same issues, please suggest if you have already found a solution to this.

Last edited by peterjim13 : 24th April 2015 at 12:24. Reason: Removing Spaces. Gramattical Errors. Spell Check
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 17:00   #3261
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please note this thread is ONLY to discuss niggles & problems with the XUV500. All off-topic posts (including purchase queries) have been moved to the official review.

Thanks!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 20:00   #3262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Yes, its possible. Scary thought that.

BTW, how much did your colleague ended up paying for the new wiring + labour? Pretty sure it wasn't covered under warranty.
You are bang on the agency refused to cover it under warranty stating it as user fault. The colleague is well connected his bro is a top shot lawyer. The only thing he divulged was paid around 12000 as some of the wire loom was cannibalized from another XUV . The advantages of having people at right places.
RajeVenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 11:50   #3263
Senior - BHPian

Have been facing a screeching noise in our XUV W8's front brakes for a long time. Couple of attempts by the a.s.c to repair these have been in vain. Sent the car today to another a.s.c (Royal Motors) and requested they change the front brakes under warranty since the issue hadn't been fixed. I was stunned when they said that brakes aren't covered under warranty!! I asked him to put this in writing but he refused, merely asking me to read the user's manual and warranty booklet! I'm trying to send the car to another Mahindra a.s.c to get this taken care of, but is this true? That brakes aren't covered under a warranty (car less than a year old)?? If so, that is shocking and if not, how can a SA make something like this up?
Old 28th April 2015, 12:02   #3264
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
You are bang on the agency refused to cover it under warranty stating it as user fault. The colleague is well connected his bro is a top shot lawyer. The only thing he divulged was paid around 12000 as some of the wire loom was cannibalized from another XUV . The advantages of having people at right places.
Ideally, this should have been an insurance issue. Not customer issue, not warranty issue.

But yes, I see a lot of people at super markets who demand extra poly bag for free.
Old 28th April 2015, 12:06   #3265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Have been facing a screeching noise in our XUV W8's front brakes for a long time. Couple of attempts by the a.s.c to repair these have been in vain. Sent the car today to another a.s.c (Royal Motors) and requested they change the front brakes under warranty since the issue hadn't been fixed. I was stunned when they said that brakes aren't covered under warranty!! I asked him to put this in writing but he refused, merely asking me to read the user's manual and warranty booklet! I'm trying to send the car to another Mahindra a.s.c to get this taken care of, but is this true? That brakes aren't covered under a warranty (car less than a year old)?? If so, that is shocking and if not, how can a SA make something like this up?
Hello Abhishek,

Once I read Debuda's post about some braking issues in XUV. I just googled that out:

Quote:
Free replacement of front brake pads under warranty : My XUV never had the notorious brake grinding noise during the last 20,000 KM of running. Nor did I ever feel that braking force was dangerously low. The disclaimer here is that my driving style is such that I rarely have to do hard braking. Nevertheless, I had informed my R.M. that I would like to have brake pads of latest design because the same had been approved after many reported problems in earlier pads. He had informed me sometime back that the latest pads (Galfar) had arrived and they were changing it in all XUVs.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...hedpur-15.html

So going by this, I am sure that brakes are covered by the warranty policy. Worn brake pads may not be, but then Mahindra is reported being changing the pads to the improved ones in the above post. Please check if you have a similar issue and if that is the possible solution to it.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 12:13   #3266
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Saket. Being less than a year old I am guessing this would have the latest pads. Will check anyway.

I went through the warranty booklet. "Brake lining" isn't covered as it is a "normal maintenance replacement item". Like Saket said, I can understand brake pads that wear out over time not being replaced under warranty, but this is a defect in their brake assembly (not just the lining) in a car less than a year old, done about 18k. Hardly qualifies as "normal" wear and tear. How can I escalate this? Have already written on the XUV FB page, but I don't know if that would help at all.
razor4077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 12:21   #3267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
How can I escalate this? Have already written on the XUV FB page, but I don't know if that would help at all.
I have heard from people that Anand Mahindra is very responsive on tweets directed towards him. You may try that route for escalation to the highest level.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 16:13   #3268
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post3687027

Guys as mentioned in the link above we are planning to buy a pre owned XUV.
Will appreciate it if anybody can point out the specific things to check in the 2012-13 batch vehicles. What are the main problem areas ? If its already mentioned somewhere then please point me towards it.
Old 29th April 2015, 00:54   #3269
BHPian

My brakepads were changed at 25500 approx. Is this the norm?

I am experiecening a slight tightness on the steering. Compared mine with that of my friend whose is also a 2014 make, that one seems to much free.

When I showed this to the Service advisor, he said the techinicans checked and there was no issues. I got this checked at TVS Kochi and ITL as well. I get the same answer as that of KTC folks.

Then I took my friends XUV along, where they agreed that XUV has a better steering.
Not sure where to go, even if I refer this to the Mahindra Folks they will refer me back to the same set of dealers.
Old 29th April 2015, 13:06   #3270
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Just got back from the Sahyadri Motors Service Center in Wakad, Pune. The Aircon of my 3 year old XUV500 stopped working randomly (and it was a terrible two days in this sweltering heat).

Surprisingly, the A.S.S. told me that there were 7 more cars in the service center with the same issue. Said it had to do with the Aircon reservoir valve getting ruptured after a period of time.

Thought I'd share this info with the rest of the folks here. Will post an update when I get the car back.

Note from Support - Post moved to the relevant thread.

Last edited by n_aditya : 29th April 2015 at 14:04.
reevester is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks