Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2014, 22:21   #2971
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranvakati View Post
I bought xuv 500 W6 this May. Only issue i had with the vehcile from the day one is vehicle pulling to the left and steering wobbling at high speeds (beyond 100KMPH).
Waiting for a reply from M&M customer service team as well as India Garage Whitefield.
I have heard that Anand Mahindra takes his tweets seriously. try it out

Last edited by aah78 : 11th December 2014 at 21:44. Reason: Please quote only relevant portions of posts. Avoid quoting large posts entirely. Thanks!
Old 11th December 2014, 16:38   #2972
Team-BHP Support

Aah! How old is your XUV? This is was a problem in the initial batches which if I am not mistaken was resolved as a part of the recall. So yours should also have been addressed back then.

About the steering feeling heavy and all, are you sure this is not a self-induced feeling? It happens when we have a distrust about something complex being done correctly we always feel that it has not been done correctly.

Hvaing said that, the work needs to be done well and they also need to do complete alignment work once more post the change. In fact in my case they changed the entire PS assembly and not some one or two failed component.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Hello,

As I had posted here 2-3 weeks back, The Power steering Oil pipe was damaged on my XUV and so it was towed on a flat bed the very next day it came back from the third service. The issue was sorted and I got the car back and have been driving it since 15 days but I have noticed that the steering is not as smooth as before and have become heavier. It also makes some noise and vibrates a little when rotated till the ends.

@Zappo: I am tagging you because if I remember correctly, you had faced similar issue of PS oil leak.

Thanks.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 16:59   #2973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Aah! How old is your XUV? This is was a problem in the initial batches which if I am not mistaken was resolved as a part of the recall. So yours should also have been addressed back then.

About the steering feeling heavy and all, are you sure this is not a self-induced feeling? It happens when we have a distrust about something complex being done correctly we always feel that it has not been done correctly.

Hvaing said that, the work needs to be done well and they also need to do complete alignment work once more post the change. In fact in my case they changed the entire PS assembly and not some one or two failed component.
Mine is a October, 2012 registered car and I think its a September, 2012 make. I don't think they changed the PS assembly or for that matter any other component except the damaged pipe from where the PS Oil leaked. It feels heavier because after a long journey my hand pains a little now and also the steering makes some noise and vibrates when turned till either end. Now if the steering assembly needs to be changed, how do I explain and make them understand the same.

Spoke to the RM about it today morning and he said I will have to get the car again and they will check it. I have even lost the count of the number of times I have had to visit the service station for some issue or the other in the past two years! be it Engine assembly replacement after the Oil pump issue, Wiper motor failing etc. etc.

Last edited by magikrider : 11th December 2014 at 17:01.
Old 11th December 2014, 20:38   #2974
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Mine is a October, 2012 registered car and I think its a September, 2012 make. I don't think they changed the PS assembly or for that matter any other component except the damaged pipe from where the PS Oil leaked. It feels heavier because after a long journey my hand pains a little now and also the steering makes some noise and vibrates when turned till either end. Now if the steering assembly needs to be changed, how do I explain and make them understand the same.

Spoke to the RM about it today morning and he said I will have to get the car again and they will check it. I have even lost the count of the number of times I have had to visit the service station for some issue or the other in the past two years! be it Engine assembly replacement after the Oil pump issue, Wiper motor failing etc. etc.
So we are talking about cars of roughly same vintage. I am surprised why you did not get the issue addressed when they recalled our batches. Power steering was one of the things there. I did not get that as my entire assembly was already changed post the failure earlier to the recall.

You dont need to explain anything to the RM. It's difficult to do so... But I hope you have the extended warranty purchased by now. If so tell them that
1. They need to rectify this issue completely without adding new problems. You will otherwise get M&M involved if it continues. Throw in some of those right adjectives like premium car etc. They are generally conscious of the fact that this is their first premium car and they need to do it right. They get uncomfortable if you tell them that they cant expect to get the premium business if they work the way they do on Bolero Pickups

2. Tell them that you have 1 more year of warranty and post that another 2 years of extended warranty. If they do selective replacements and once again something fails in the PS assembly you will escalate like hell. Give them examples that for similar cases across India they replaced the entire assembly. It is costly for M&M to do this again and again piecemeal. It is also not good for their image. So they should consider once again on whether they just want to change the pipe or the entire assembly or a major part of it needs to change.

Last edited by Zappo : 11th December 2014 at 20:39.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 01:36   #2975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
So we are talking about cars of roughly same vintage. I am surprised why you did not get the issue addressed when they recalled our batches. Power steering was one of the things there. I did not get that as my entire assembly was already changed post the failure earlier to the recall.

You dont need to explain anything to the RM. It's difficult to do so... But I hope you have the extended warranty purchased by now. If so tell them that
1. They need to rectify this issue completely without adding new problems. You will otherwise get M&M involved if it continues. Throw in some of those right adjectives like premium car etc. They are generally conscious of the fact that this is their first premium car and they need to do it right. They get uncomfortable if you tell them that they cant expect to get the premium business if they work the way they do on Bolero Pickups

2. Tell them that you have 1 more year of warranty and post that another 2 years of extended warranty. If they do selective replacements and once again something fails in the PS assembly you will escalate like hell. Give them examples that for similar cases across India they replaced the entire assembly. It is costly for M&M to do this again and again piecemeal. It is also not good for their image. So they should consider once again on whether they just want to change the pipe or the entire assembly or a major part of it needs to change.
Well I was aware of a recall only for faulty wiper blades or something which happened a long time back and I had checked then on the M&M website but my car wasn't in the recall batch. Never knew that there was a recall for the PS issue too.

Yeah Its really difficult to explain to the RM or anyone from Mahindra for such issue. still remember those dreaded days when I kept on trying to convince Mahindra guys for the Oil pump issue on my car and after a long battle, finally they accepted and owned their problem and the Engine assembly was replaced. I will have to just ask them to compare with other XUVs out there and show them the difference maybe. I am yet to purchase the extended warranty, which I will do this time around.

Will use the pointers you gave and throw all at them and see what happens. But I now personally know many people from there and am a familiar face at the NBS Raey road service station. Have already used all these things earlier during the replacement of the Engine assembly. Guess will have to do it all again if need be.

Thanks a lot.
Old 12th December 2014, 13:48   #2976
BHPian

Is there any remedy for horizontal movements in xuv over bad roads? I find it uncomfortable many times.
Old 12th December 2014, 16:46   #2977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Is there any remedy for horizontal movements in xuv over bad roads?
I have not found anyone suggesting any solution to the same. Guess logical solution will be to under-inflate by couple of PSI's.

Though I have noticed the movement (especially for back seat passengers), I have not felt it is much of an issue.
Old 12th December 2014, 17:18   #2978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any remedy for horizontal movements in xuv over bad roads? I find it uncomfortable many times.
What exactly do you mean by Horizontal Movements ?
Being a FWD with a long wheelbase you may feel that the rear is behaving on its own specially over bad stretches. Try the following:

1. Low speeds on bad stretches.
2. Hold the steering tight over these stretches.

The only time I have faced this issue in my Scorpio is while traversing gravel /dry muddy roads at speeds over 50.
Old 15th December 2014, 16:05   #2979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I have not found anyone suggesting any solution to the same. Guess logical solution will be to under-inflate by couple of PSI's.

Though I have noticed the movement (especially for back seat passengers), I have not felt it is much of an issue.
Yes it is more for rear seat passengers but I myself find it uncomfortable at times while driving.
Old 15th December 2014, 16:11   #2980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Being a FWD with a long wheelbase you may feel that the rear is behaving on its own specially over bad stretches. Try the following:

The only time I have faced this issue in my Scorpio is while traversing gravel /dry muddy roads at speeds over 50.
horizontal movement - I mean shoulder to shoulder ( or side to side) movements. 90% of the cards are FWD only.
in fact I find movements are less if I speed up a little.

it is more felt on bad stretches where I can go beyond second gear. It is not special to my car as I have experienced the same in all xuvs that I have tried.

can other xuv owners comment if they also feel the same or is it my perception after moving from sedan to xuv? my sedan (cedia) gives no such movements on any kind of roads.
Old 15th December 2014, 16:54   #2981
BHPian

Quote:
can other xuv owners comment if they also feel the same or is it my perception after moving from sedan to xuv? my sedan (cedia) gives no such movements on any kind of roads.
Horizontal movement is pretty much evident in my Xuv too. I was owning Duster and moved to xuv this May. Duster drives like a sedan(I drive my uncle's Vento frequently).

On flat tarmac or minor broken roads there is no difference between XUV and duster. But on bad roads there is huge difference. Its not my view alone but my wifey and other family members view too.

If there are undulations on the road, XUV is too bouncy. Duster was always planted on any kind of roads.

On bad roads where there are pot holes you have to be dead slow with XUV else it will throw around ppl. You have to be really slow and creep over pot hole ridden roads.

XUV's big stature(height and length) does contribute to the bounciness.
We should never compare xuv with sedan or duster. But yes i miss my duster when i was riding on bad patches or undulated hilly roads.

Last edited by kiranvakati : 15th December 2014 at 17:03.
kiranvakati is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 23:13   #2982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranvakati View Post

XUV's big stature(height and length) does contribute to the bounciness.
We should never compare xuv with sedan or duster. But yes i miss my duster when i was riding on bad patches or undulated hilly roads.

I am no expert in these things but as a xuv owner I would love to have this bounciness sorted out. Sometimes I wonder is it common in all other vehicles of similar size ? If not then why is it present in xuv alone ?
Old 16th December 2014, 11:02   #2983
BHPian

I am also having an AWD 10 month old XUV and the bounciness is so bad at low speeds over roads with undulations (and here in kerala the roads are carefully built for undulations) it throws one out of the trajectory
Old 16th December 2014, 13:11   #2984
Senior - BHPian

From past few weeks, my XUV alarm goes off all of a sudden even though nobody touched it. Alarm comes on for only 30 seconds and automatically shuts off too. I did check for any open door,boot or bonnet but they all seem to be fine. Since this happens randomly (mostly at night) i am not sure what kind of error it shows on screen.

Anyone knows whats wrong here?
Old 16th December 2014, 13:37   #2985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post

I think he means "Body roll". It is very much noticeable especially in the middle row when the vehicle is plying on bad roads. However, given the how tall the vehicle is, I don't know if there is any way out. I have driven other tallboy vehicles such as Quanto, Scorpio etc and body roll is evident in all of them.

Safari is probably the only SUV that I have driven that doesn't have much of body roll.

Duster is more like a sedan than a proper SUV. So comparing the two for body roll is not correct IMO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks