Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2014, 12:25   #2851
Senior - BHPian

Re: Brakes Stopped Working !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatmakar View Post
The brake pedal went down very smoothly but with absolutely no braking.
The following could be the issues:

1. Low brake fluid level - Check the brake oil levels, however since the brakes working after some time this would be a low possibility.

2. Faulty brake booster unit: This could be a suspect, despite the brakes working now, insist the A.S.S. people to check that thoroughly / replace under warranty.

Since you were able to press the pedal the issues with vacuum can discounted out since in that case the pedal would be very hard to press.
m_upreti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 13:34   #2852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
...Please do NOT budge, till the root cause is found out and fixed. Please do NOT take the delivery of the vehicle till they are able to explain what went wrong and how it was fixed.

Do keep us updated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
The following could be the issues:

1. Low brake fluid level .....
Thanks a lot for your inputs. Sireesh has arranged a thorough check up of the brakes today afternoon. I will personally be present and check what they do.
I will take back the vehicle only after I am fully satisfied.

I will ask them to open a service card for this issue. It will be better to retain that as a proof of the issue just in case required again later.
Old 20th October 2014, 18:50   #2853
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your inputs. Sireesh has arranged a thorough check up of the brakes today afternoon.....
Sireesh service technician did a detail road test, ran OBD, Checked brake fluids and didnt find any single issue.

They suggested I drive a bit sedately for a week, check brake functions frequently and observe if any such similar issue.

I am planning to do the same.

Any other suggestions which may help?
rajatmakar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 22:09   #2854
Senior - BHPian

I had purchased a XUV 500 on 1st August 2014. I gave the car for 1st service last week.

My dream run with the beast ended that day. I was truly enjoying every moment driving it.

I gave it to M/S Speed links panchkula. The same dealer from whom I purchased the car.
My shoulder has a hair line crack so couldn't drive so had the car picked and later dropped.

Now the next morning I observed that the car wasn't washed properly. So I called the dealer and they agreed to wash it again. Later on when I checked the tyres they were not rotated and alignment was not done as confirmed by my trusted driver.

So they again apologised and told that the same can be done when I will send the car for washing.

Agreed thinking that these were minor issues.

Today took the car for drive and later after returning I saw pool of oil where I Park the car. I was in disbelief that it would water or oil from my other cars.

I asked my driver to see under the car.

He Confirmed that car was indeed leaking oil. He also updated me that the brakes were also leaking.

These problems were not present when I sent the car for service.

I called the helpline and they told me to wait till tomorrow and they will sort the things out.

I am unable to understand that Mahindra dealers are so incompetent that they can't even change the oil.

I am utterly disappointed with the dealer and only waiting for Mahindera's reaction.

Also the car was returned with 70kms on the odo when the dealer is 15kms one way.

PS please bear with me for any mistakes in writing as my shoulder is killing me right now after all the excitement today.

Last edited by manikjeet : 20th October 2014 at 22:20.
manikjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 12:01   #2855
BHPian

Quote:
I took my XUV W6 delivery around a week back. Today morning in slow moving traffic, I found the brakes were not working. There were no warning lights glowing.

I stopped the car using hand brakes and then slowly took it to a near by ground. Checked multiple times and brakes were not working.

I then switched off the engine for 5 mins and then restarted the car. The brakes worked fine and everything seemed normal. I tested the brakes 15-20 times in the ground before continuing to office.

Sireesh service personnel is coming to check the issue. Anyone else has faced similar problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
This is absoutely scary.

Since there were no warning lights/signs, the possibility of error-codes being logged into the ECU is remote. Also since the problem vanished on its own and can not be reproduced, there is a good chance that the service center would try to underplay the issue. Please do NOT budge, till the root cause is found out and fixed. Please do NOT take the delivery of the vehicle till they are able to explain what went wrong and how it was fixed.

Do keep us updated.
Agree entirely with SDP. One needs to get to the root of this problem. To me it seems to be a case of air trapped in the brake hydraulic system due to inadequate / improper bleeding. After you pumped the brake pedal may times, probably the air bubble rose to the brake fluid reservoir and escaped.

IMHO, restarting the engine may not have any connection with the brakes resuming their bite. When the engine is running, the vacuum assist amplifies the braking force. But the brakes are supposed to work even when the engine is off though one needs to press much harder on the brake pedal.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 13:57   #2856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
Agree entirely with SDP. One needs to get to the root of this problem. To me it seems to be a case of air trapped in the brake hydraulic system due to inadequate / improper bleeding. After you pumped the brake pedal may times, probably the air bubble rose to the brake fluid reservoir and escaped...

Yes, trapped air is a possibility and to some extend justifies that the problem is not recurring.

I had experienced similar behavior in my Machismo disk brakes when I did the bleeding and re-fill myself.

I am driving carefully and plan to monitor for next 1 week. Also checking the brakes frequently for peace of mind.

Thanks.
Old 27th October 2014, 23:01   #2857
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Update from my ownership so far:
  • I've had issues with the low beam bulb that keeps going out only on the right side. Thrice in a 6 month period. I was told the latest was an OSRAM bulb. Don't know if this is going to hold, but so far so good. (One month and counting).
  • More recently, as the rest of Bangalore caught a cold and a cough, my XUV too lost its voice. I didn't have a megaton yield noise weapon disguised as car horn to begin with, but it now sounded more like a gentle beep from a toy. I personally like it and think it out to be enough, but people just ignore it. They give more respect to kind of horn Ipkiss uses in "The Mask". I got it fixed under warranty, so its back to its more obnoxious self.
More later...(hopefully there is nothing ever to report. Yeah, as if! )
Old 28th October 2014, 13:36   #2858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveller View Post
Update from my ownership so far:[list][*]I've had issues with the low beam bulb that keeps going out only on the right side. Thrice in a 6 month period. I was told the latest was an OSRAM bulb. Don't know if this is going to hold, but so far so good. (One month and counting).
How old is your XUV? Reason for asking, people have been saying that NEW generation XUV's (2013-2014 models) does not have this issue anymore.
Old 28th October 2014, 13:58   #2859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
How old is your XUV? Reason for asking, people have been saying that NEW generation XUV's (2013-2014 models) does not have this issue anymore.
Yup new generation is doing pretty well. 6 months and counting so far no bulbs going kaput, and I do keep checking daily just to be sure.
Old 28th October 2014, 14:34   #2860
Senior - BHPian

A family member bought the W8 XUV5OO couple of months back. He is facing a weird problem related to the air conditioning system.

The front and mid AC blowers stop working at random, while the third (rear) vent is continuously throwing cold air. What ever you do, the front and mid vents will not work. Then, suddenly next time he starts the car (or say after 2-3 hours), all AC vents will start working properly. This is becoming very inconvenient as he has to travel on highways in Gujrat and Rajasthan regularly and since it is random, he has no clue when the blowers will stop or start working. He is about to give it to the Mahindra service centre for checkup.

Considering the rear vents throw cold air flawlessly and that they have their own compressor, is this an issue with the compressor related to the front and the mid AC vents? Any XUV owners faced such an issue before?

Last edited by Stratos : 28th October 2014 at 14:37.
Old 28th October 2014, 21:54   #2861
BHPian

There is a "khad khad khad" sound which is quiet loud and has been there from the start. It occurs in AWD lock mode and heard during the following sequence:

- vehicle should be on an incline (incline does not have to be very steep)
- AWD lock mode enabled
- drive the vehicle to a speed of 5-10 kmph in 1st gear
- suddenly fully depress the clutch and release the accelerator
- you will then here the "khad khad khad" sound.

Anyone with the AWD vehicle want to try and see if they have similar sound??

You can download the video that demonstrates the sound in my vehicle from this link: XUV500 AWD Sound video download link
Old 29th October 2014, 08:37   #2862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
A family member bought the W8 XUV5OO couple of months back. He is facing a weird problem related to the air conditioning system.

The front and mid AC blowers stop working at random, while the third (rear) vent is continuously throwing cold air. What ever you do, the front and mid vents will not work. Then, suddenly next time he starts the car (or say after 2-3 hours), all AC vents will start working properly. This is becoming very inconvenient as he has to travel on highways in Gujrat and Rajasthan regularly and since it is random, he has no clue when the blowers will stop or start working. He is about to give it to the Mahindra service centre for checkup.

Considering the rear vents throw cold air flawlessly and that they have their own compressor, is this an issue with the compressor related to the front and the mid AC vents? Any XUV owners faced such an issue before?
There is supposed to be a HVAC software update for this issue. Please talk to your RM and get it updated. Also ask the RM to check for DTC error code which talks about AC switch pulse not received. This should give him some clue. I had faced similar issue and after the software update the issue is not re-occurred yet. But I have not traveled on highway extensively after the update, normally that is when the issue happens for me. In city ride (short duration) never observed the issue.

-HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 29th October 2014 at 08:42.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 12:54   #2863
BHPian

Quote:

I am driving carefully and plan to monitor for next 1 week. Also checking the brakes frequently for peace of mind.

Thanks.
Drove around 600 kms more and did not face the brake issues anymore. So, now I am more at peace with this issue.

Another 2 minor issues faced are :-

a) Sometimes the rear windscreen washer is not working. And then after a day or so it is working again fine. Anyone faced this issue?

b) Rattling sound from the loose plastic cap of the front 12v socket. This is nothing major butthe rattling sound is a constant irritation in badroads. I am planning to ask RM to replace it during 1st service.

Regards,
Rajat
Old 29th October 2014, 18:02   #2864
BHPian

I am giving my car for the next service by mid November.

Just wanted to know get a huge set of works/check done on my 2012-W8.

1. My reverse camera shows a yellowish screen on my display. It is not clear also. When I had taken it to an accessories store and they said I might need to get the camera replaced. Mine is a two year old large camera which has been poorly placed on my back bumper.
They said the new ones are smaller. The company name was "Worldtech" it si harldy some 2k for the HD camera.

2. The noises from within the cabin is still very active : From the steering console (speedometer), second row seats, and somewhere from the front passenger seat.

3. I can now hear a small not so common noise when the car starts in the morning, or say when put to ignition after long rests. Its hardly a 10 to 20 sec noise, and then it gets to normal. Is there something which needs to be checked urgently.

4. Also what are the things that I should get checked or replaced as this is the 2 years service.
Old 29th October 2014, 18:23   #2865
BHPian

Quote:
Drove around 600 kms more and did not face the brake issues anymore. So, now I am more at peace with this issue.

Rajat
Hey Rajat, do delve deep into this with your RM and keep us posted. I am glad that the problem has not reoccured for you but 1 more reoccurance could prove very risky. I don't intend to scare you but am myself scared. My car is always pushed to the corner and any such unexpected response could prove fatal. Let me try to get information on this through my RM as well.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks