Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2013, 16:03   #2341
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Hi Nitin,

I am talking about a very harsh vibration and resonating sound, right from the dashboard to the boot. I think it should not be a normal behaviour.
Normally there is a resonating sound when you accelerate from low rpm say 1200 to 1400 in high gears, 5th or 6th. This was noticed in my earlier car, elantra crdi too. But this in no way very harsh, and not so intrusive, can you pls upload the sound?

BTW do check the cowl. You can take up this with the service centre as this is a known issue. In my case they were able to reduce the noise from cowl substantially.

If we change the driving style by changing gears only after say 1800 rpm this resonating sound can be avoided.
Old 9th November 2013, 18:19   #2342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Normally there is a resonating sound when you accelerate from low rpm say 1200 to 1400 in high gears, 5th or 6th. This was noticed in my earlier car, elantra crdi too. But this in no way very harsh, and not so intrusive, can you pls upload the sound?

BTW do check the cowl. You can take up this with the service centre as this is a known issue. In my case they were able to reduce the noise from cowl substantially.

If we change the driving style by changing gears only after say 1800 rpm this resonating sound can be avoided.
I will tell you a scenario -

Say you are driving at 50 kmph in 3rd gear. Now for some reason, you need to brake and the vehicle slows down to say 30 kmph. Now XUV's engine is very much capable for pulling cleanly from 30 kmph in 3rd gear. If you give a normal throttle input, the car pulls cleanly and normally, without any glitch. But if suppose the road ahead is empty and you want to floor the throttle, that is where the problem arises - the car vibrates like hell.

What I mean is - I am well aware of the knocking which happens in lower speeds and higher rpm. I dont lug the engine and I change the gears well within the reasonable rpm. But this vibration happens only when you floor the throttle, you can hear it louder when you are in lower speeds and higher gears.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 9th November 2013 at 18:21.
Old 10th November 2013, 11:50   #2343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Diesel vehicles have a strong 'tug' that you feel due to the higher torque. Additionally, the XUV does have a dual-mass flywheel which tends to maintain the momentum even after you leave the accelerator.

So, no need to worry. This is perfectly normal and intended behaviour. Once you get used to it, you would start liking the torque.
You answered my unasked question
It remained unasked because I just could'nt word it properly
Old 10th November 2013, 14:26   #2344
BHPian

Quote:
XUV owners from Mumbai, any good M&M A.S.S. you can recommend?
Not only XUV but all Mahindra owners any good ASS recommendation ? My friend owns a Thar he too needs one as the last one botched up the job to such an extent that we had to later on replace the flywheel!I even posted on SDP's thread but no reply.
Please help
Old 10th November 2013, 15:31   #2345
BHPian

Quote:

Diesel vehicles have a strong 'tug' that you feel due to the higher torque. Additionally, the XUV does have a dual-mass flywheel which tends to maintain the momentum even after you leave the accelerator.

So, no need to worry. This is perfectly normal and intended behaviour. Once you get used to it, you would start liking the torque.
The higher torque at low rpms is an inherent trait of diesel engines. The dual mass flywheel, although helps in maintaining engine momentum, more importantly helps reduce vibrations. Otherwise even a solid flywheel should do the job.
mdsaif92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 22:15   #2346
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Not only XUV but all Mahindra owners any good ASS recommendation ? My friend owns a Thar he too needs one as the last one botched up the job to such an extent that we had to later on replace the flywheel!I even posted on SDP's thread but no reply.
Please help
Sorry, saw that post and forgot to respond.
Mahindra handles XUV and Rexton separately. So the service-centers I have seen have been dedicated-ones for these 2 models. So, no clue about THAR.

I would suggest you send a PM to speedy (Mumbai based THAR owner) and may be Tejasperiompl (Mumbai based offroad expert, owns a Mahindra offroad vehicle..not sure which one). Hope that helps.

Last edited by SDP : 10th November 2013 at 22:17.
Old 10th November 2013, 23:56   #2347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, saw that post and forgot to respond.
Mahindra handles XUV and Rexton separately. So the service-centers I have seen have been dedicated-ones for these 2 models. So, no clue about THAR.

I would suggest you send a PM to speedy (Mumbai based THAR owner) and may be Tejasperiompl (Mumbai based offroad expert, owns a Mahindra offroad vehicle..not sure which one). Hope that helps.
In Delhi, XUV and Rexton are handled in one service station only and not separately. You guys are lucky if these are handled separately cause with W4 coming in the picture, things are gonna get worse for sure.
Old 11th November 2013, 08:55   #2348
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
In Delhi, XUV and Rexton are handled in one service station only and not separately. You guys are lucky if these are handled separately cause with W4 coming in the picture, things are gonna get worse for sure.
That's what I meant.
XUV+Rexton handled in one service-center and the remaining handled in another.
Looking at the lackluster center-console of the W4, I doubt how many would actually opt for that variant.
Old 11th November 2013, 09:37   #2349
BHPian

Thanks for the reply SDP, Raj, Saif

Quote:
Have you migrated to the XUV from a petrol engined car? Or a low powered diesel car?
The points you have mentioned are not isses IMHO. I guess the rpm increases automatically to avoid stalling the car. I have to try it in my car though.
No Sir. I've been a diesel junkie till now having owned Sierra (2000-03 - 55K Kms), Indica (2003 Oct - 2011 dec - 115K Kms), XUV 5oo( 2012 Jan - till date - 22K Kms)
Having had the Beast for the last 2 years this is the first time I'm noticing this behaviour for the first time.

Quote:
If you mean, the car does not slow down at all, then are you by any chance accidentally activating the cruise control?
no Sir. this is not the case.

Quote:

SDP, Raj can you please test this in your Beasts
1. Put your vehicle in first gear
2. dont use accelerator, but just use clutch to move the Beast up the ramp.
3. hold the break and now put the gear in neutral and see what will be the rpm in neutral

for me the engine will still be revving at around 1200rpm and does not come back to 800-900 mark without me depressing the accelerator once.

Cheers
SAMUDRA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 12:08   #2350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The last time I posted this, I got no response. I am posting it again since I need to know if any members are in the same situation like me -

My XUV has 3 issues all are irritating ones-

1) As mentioned above, I cannot floor the throttle of my car. If I do so, it is accompanied by a harsh resonating sound and vibrations through the entire body, including the boot! The last time I mentioned this to the A.S.S. (Infinity Autolinks), they replaced the air filter (!!!) but as expected, it did not solve the problem.

2) When I rev the car in lower speeds and higher gear (say from 30-40 kmph in 5th gear), I can hear a strange knocking like sound (something like a bolt or chain is loose somewhere) from the bonnet. Again, this has been unsolved.

3) I can hear a noise while idling (something rubbing inside the bonnet). I asked my SA to check if its the siren, but he claims the siren is perfect.

The incompetent A.S.S. of Mahindra just wants to earn quick buck the easy way and are not really interested in solving the issues.
  • Has anyone in this forum faced a similar issue so that I can advise my A.S.S. on what should be done?
  • Can anyone guide to a good/competent A.S.S. in Mumbai? I have been to Global Gallarie (Thane) and Infinity Autolinks (Sakinaka) and both are useless.
When was water from the fuel filter last drained or lets say when was the fuel filter last changed ? This might be the source of your problem.
Old 11th November 2013, 12:44   #2351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
When was water from the fuel filter last drained or lets say when was the fuel filter last changed ? This might be the source of your problem.
Water was never drained from the fuel filter. Even the fuel filter has not been changed as far as I know.
Old 11th November 2013, 12:46   #2352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Water was never drained from the fuel filter. Even the fuel filter has not been changed as far as I know.

Well there you have your problem. Get the water drained or get the fuel filter changed. The vibrations will vanish.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 12:53   #2353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Well there you have your problem. Get the water drained or get the fuel filter changed. The vibrations will vanish.
For curiosity sake, why does a choked fuel filter cause such harsh vibrations on hard acceleration? And not in normal acceleration.
Old 11th November 2013, 13:36   #2354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For curiosity sake, why does a choked fuel filter cause such harsh vibrations on hard acceleration? And not in normal acceleration.

Restricts the supply to the fuel pump and when you suddenly gush the throttle, I would assume the fuel pump is not getting enough supply to up the pressure in the rail to your requirements and hence the vibrations.

I have faced this many times in the Swift D ( similar vibrations to what you are talking about, can feel it on the accelerator pedal, floor kinds) and a simple water removal from the fuel filter does the trick. I replace the fuel filter of course every 20 thousand km.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 14:34   #2355
J.Ravi

Quote:
Mahindra handles XUV and Rexton separately. So the service-centers I have seen have been dedicated-ones for these 2 models.
In Chennai also XUV500 and Rexton are serviced in one service centre. Other Mahindra vehicles are serviced in different locations. This was confirmed by the XUV500 Experience Executive of India Garage, Chennai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks