Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2013, 22:43   #2281

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

I might be changing the topic but I have a problem with my XUV which I bought in Apr 2012. I did not have serious issues but my concern is steering wheel these days. At high speeds, I feel vibration in the steering wheel and its scary sometimes. Is anyone else seeing similar issue?
Old 17th October 2013, 23:44   #2282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by model-t View Post
Hi Guys, I purchased the Cheetah in July this year. Since then it has done 5XXX kms and is due for the first service .I have noticed a few niggles which I wanted to bring up :
1)Clutch : During heavy traffic (Where you need to be in the first gear with the foot on the depressed clutch 70% of the times) , some times the clutch remains depressed. I have to use my foot to bring it back. Once in heavy traffic it got depressed 100% . Won't let me change gears . So was stuck in the 1st gear. The car had barely done 1000 odd kms. I was like . Anyways , it did not happen again. But the clutch frequently remains half/quarter depressed and I have to pull it back.
2)Aircon Vent : One of the passenger vent has gone bust. Just does not work. Tried many times but no luck.
3) Noise from the suspension : Sometimes get the strange noise coming from the front left of the car. Has not happened a lot of times so not sure what is going on. Would like your thoughts on this as I am no auto engineer.
Please get the #1 issue above checked at the earliest (if due for service, please give it ASAP). It could be due to simple cable problem or not so simple master/slave cylinder leak problems.

For issue #2, need more details and possibly a picture to understand it better.

For #3, are there any pattern observed (going over a pothole, taking steep turn, etc) or is it purely random? Again, please take it to ASC (as the car is due for service anyway) and get it fixed at the earliest.

Edit: (to avoid back to back posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuvian View Post
I might be changing the topic but I have a problem with my XUV which I bought in Apr 2012. I did not have serious issues but my concern is steering wheel these days. At high speeds, I feel vibration in the steering wheel and its scary sometimes. Is anyone else seeing similar issue?
If it occurs only at high speeds and no issues with lock-to-lock turns, then please check the wheel balance.

Last edited by GunMo : 17th October 2013 at 23:53.
GunMo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 06:21   #2283
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I purchased the Cheetah in July this year. Since then it has done 5XXX kms and is due for the first service .I have noticed a few niggles which I wanted to bring up :

1)Clutch : During heavy traffic (Where you need to be in the first gear with the foot on the depressed clutch 70% of the times) , some times the clutch remains depressed. I have to use my foot to bring it back. Once in heavy traffic it got depressed 100% . Won't let me change gears . So was stuck in the 1st gear. The car had barely done 1000 odd kms. I was like . Anyways , it did not happen again. But the clutch frequently remains half/quarter depressed and I have to pull it back.

2)Aircon Vent : One of the passenger vent has gone bust. Just does not work. Tried many times but no luck.

3) Noise from the suspension : Sometimes get the strange noise coming from the front left of the car. Has not happened a lot of times so not sure what is going on.

Would like your thoughts on this as I am no auto engineer.
#1 is a potentially serious issue. Don't want to alarm you, but I believe it would lead to complete clutch failure. So get it fixed asap.

#2 I have faced this problem. The air-control flap inside the vent is either stuck or broken. Needs repair or replacement.

#3 Suspension noise is also fairly common, typically attributed to balancer bar bushes. The service-center also tends to retorque the entire suspension when you complain. Please get it done and see if it solves the problem.

Quote:
Typically this is due to wheel-balancing. This is a chargeable job at the service center and not covered under warranty. Please get it done from a reputed tyre shop outside.

Last edited by SDP : 18th October 2013 at 06:27.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 06:46   #2284

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
#1 is a potentially serious issue. Don't want to alarm you, but I believe it would lead to complete clutch failure. So get it fixed asap.

#2 I have faced this problem. The air-control flap inside the vent is either stuck or broken. Needs repair or replacement.

#3 Suspension noise is also fairly common, typically attributed to balancer bar bushes. The service-center also tends to retorque the entire suspension when you complain. Please get it done and see if it solves the problem.

Typically this is due to wheel-balancing. This is a chargeable job at the service center and not covered under warranty. Please get it done from a reputed tyre shop outside.
Thanks SDP. Do you mean wheel balancing or alignment? I recently got wheel balancing done and service guy said alignment need not be done and its all fine.
Old 18th October 2013, 11:25   #2285
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks SDP. Do you mean wheel balancing or alignment? I recently got wheel balancing done and service guy said alignment need not be done and its all fine.
Normally with allignment & balancing such issues are sorted out. Do check with another reputed shop at your place. If still persists it will be better to visit service centre.

I have clocked 21k and usually get balancing & allignment check done every 7000kms. Till now no allignment was required. The tyre shop guy told me bigger vehicles(SUV's) have less allignment issues as compared to smaller vehicles.
Old 18th October 2013, 12:00   #2286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
You hit the nail on the head.I faced the same issue when my XUV was not even an year old.After 3 months,I was stuck on the BIAL road with the clutch totally jammed.Couldnt move it by an inch.Ended up calling Mahindra and they helped me take my XUV to the service center and we ended up replacing the entire clutch assembly.This is a major issue.

Please get it rectified ASAP and clearly mention to your service advisor that this will "result" in a clutch failure and that you need it replaced asap.
Off the record,this seems to be a known issue for the XUV's
hallik9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 12:04   #2287
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I purchased the Cheetah in July this year. Since then it has done 5XXX kms and is due for the first service .I have noticed a few niggles which I wanted to bring up :

:
Faced the same issue on my XUV and I ended up stranded on a highway without being able to move my XUV.Thankfully,Mahindra team was quick and they helped me get to their service station and we had to replace the clutch assembly.This is a serious issue and please make sure that you get this replaced asap.
hallik9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 15:07   #2288
BHPian

Quote:
3) Noise from the suspension : Sometimes get the strange noise coming from the front left of the car. Has not happened a lot of times so not sure what is going on.
Is this by chance a humming sound that you are referring to?

I am asking because I am fairly certain that the balancer bar bushes should not be worn out in just 5000 kms. (especially the redesigned ones)

Last edited by Sisu : 18th October 2013 at 15:08.
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 20:42   #2289
BHPian

Thanks all for your answers. I needed them badly. So I called my RM in the morning seeking an immediate appointment regarding the first service and the clutch issue. The car was picked up promptly at 10.30 AM by the Mahindra dealership. The driver understood the problem easily (guess this is not a rare XUV problem) and the suspension noise. Later on , got a call from the SA . Here is what he said :

1)Sir , we have made some adjustment to the clutch pedal. We have tried bleeding (can someone explain what this means please?) the clutch but no problem was detected. Please drive in the city for a hundred odd kilometers and let us know. In case you face any further problems , we will change the master cylinder ( again some slave and master stuff ??)

2)The aircon vent has an internal valve broken. Product out of stock will have a technician sent to your home and done within 3 days.

3)Suspension noise has been looked into. Apparently a couple of nuts were loose.

The only concern I have is why were a couple of nuts "loose" within 5k of driving a 15L car ? Isn't this totally inexcusable? I never had this kind of problem in both the Hyundai's we owned over 80k and ten odd years.

The car was delivered promptly in the afternoon and I just returned from a 130 km jig . The clutch feels so much better and tight. Surprisingly, the average on the MID has gone up by atleast 2 KMPL since service on the same stretch. Although the suspension noise has gone , can hear a couple of new rattles from the passenger side door. Will get them checked when the guy comes to fix the aircon vent.

Leaving for a long drive to Amritsar tonight so keeping my fingers crossed. Hope the Cheetah behaves normally .
model-t is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 05:54   #2290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1)Sir , we have made some adjustment to the clutch pedal. We have tried bleeding (can someone explain what this means please?)
Bleeding means to flush out air bubbles from the fluid lines.
It can done by inserting more fluid into the lines, thereby replacing the existing fluid and along with that, the air bubbles.

All the best for your long drive.
Old 19th October 2013, 08:05   #2291
BHPian

So reached Amritsar without any hiccups. Encountered a couple of big traffic pileups with extensive use of the clutch, but it worked perfectly fine. Was able to complete the stretch in time with over 15kmpl as the average fuel consumption. The cheetah was dead steady at 120+ and the engine music was awesome. Will let you guys know in case anything else comes up.

Thanks a ton!!

Note from Moderator : Please use proper english while typing and refrain from using slang. Do read the rules of forum again. Next time infraction.

Last edited by GTO : 29th October 2013 at 16:14.
Old 20th October 2013, 23:59   #2292
Senior - BHPian

With so many issues cropping up related to clutch, is it possible to have this clutch replaced under warranty asking proactively to your RM? I get scared while reading all this here as i do night drives and that too in lonely stretches everyday.
Old 22nd October 2013, 16:55   #2293
BHPian

Hi Folks,

Unfortunately, a first real niggle has cropped up in my XUV.

The brakes have started squealing on application. It started out as a really faint sound, then became intermediate and now sadly is there continuously and is quite prominent to someone standing outside the car. However, there is no trace of the squealing noise inside the cabin if the AC is on and windows are closed. I guess the consolation is that the sound insulation of the XUV is really good.

I have scheduled the first service on Monday next week and will get this looked into.

Personally, I would not like to replace the brake pads as the brake feel and bite is perfect right now. After fiddling at the service centre, I hope the brake feel doesn't go awry. The brake pads are of Bosch make. I would most likely tell the Grease Monkeys to clean the brake pads and then check if the noise vanishes. Or else I would have to go in for new replacements.

What are the latest iterations of brake pads? Are they the Galfer ones? It would be great if anyone can share a pic of these or the part number.

Thanks & Cheeerzzzz
Old 22nd October 2013, 17:05   #2294
BHPian

@Sisu, sorry to hear about the brake pad issue. The brake grinding noise is a known issue and the new design solves the issue for most of them.
Have a look at these pics here ->
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tions-107.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tions-104.html

Check what version of the brake pedals you have. You may want to replace the brake pedals as well, if it's not the latest.
Btw when did you buy your Cheetah ?
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 17:31   #2295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
@Sisu, sorry to hear about the brake pad issue. The brake grinding noise is a known issue and the new design solves the issue for most of them.
Have a look at these pics here ->
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tions-107.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tions-104.html

Check what version of the brake pedals you have. You may want to replace the brake pedals as well, if it's not the latest.
Btw when did you buy your Cheetah ?
Hi Mudhalaipatti,

Thanks for the links. By the looks of the pics, it looks like these are of Galfer make as Bosch definitely brands all its products prominently. Will check with My RM what the latest ones are.

I bought my XUV in July'13 and was from the latest Batch i.e. manufactured in June'13.

Most Viewed