Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2013, 09:39   #2131
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

When I switch on the low beam they are light blueish in colour but after about 20 secs, they seem the whitest with a very thin line of light blue at the edge which is refraction from the curvature of the lens.

The ideal kit would be 5000k HIDs of 70w output; this is the whitest in the colour range and 70w would give the perfect intensity. These kits are available in UK which I may get on my next trip.

The XUV is used as the second car, which my father uses for occasional evening get togethers and weekend day trips to Indore. He is very happy with new install and says it is worth every rupee.
Old 19th August 2013, 10:27   #2132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibu View Post
I am finally in India, Bhopal to be precise after 8 months XUV landed in the family! I came to Indore initially where my parents came to receive me in the XUV. After spending a couple of days in Indore, we drove down to Bhopal on the 9th evening. I was simply blown away by the cruising ability of this vehicle. But my mind was stuck on two things:

a) I don't feel the turbo surge at 1800rpm.

b) I cannot see the road at low beam. It is not enough.

Anyhow I completed the journey cautiously and on high beam (in the UK, I rarely have to use high beam). I spent that night thinking my turbo is gone. Luckly I had bought my bluetooth OBD scanner with me. Therefore the next day, I plugged in the scanner and did some logging on Torque Pro. I got results in between 10psi to 16psi which indicated Turbo gone.

However all these tests were done on a crowded road and on 1st to 3rd gear. I therefore had to redo the test on open roads. I took the car yesterday to an open road and floored the throttle; Woah....torque steer..and I am pinned to my seat. Next thing I am grinning end to end. My turbo is fine.

There was further good news yesterday. I got a call from close friend who came to know that I was in Bhopal. He owns a car shop and I told him about my lighting vows. He said to simply visit his shop which I did last evening.

On seeing me, he similed and showed me this(Philips 6K HID conversion kit):

I had this fitted immediately and I have no words to describe the improvement. The MRP on the boxes were Rs5000 each!! For just 10k rupees how can Mahindra leave us blind. Come on Mahindra, if we can pay 16 lakhs for a car, we can very well pay 25k( if you put a OEM price on this). I am now a very happy man
Quote:
When I switch on the low beam they are light blueish in colour but after about 20 secs, they seem the whitest with a very thin line of light blue at the edge which is refraction from the curvature of the lens.

The ideal kit would be 5000k HIDs of 70w output; this is the whitest in the colour range and 70w would give the perfect intensity. These kits are available in UK which I may get on my next trip.

The XUV is used as the second car, which my father uses for occasional evening get togethers and weekend day trips to Indore. He is very happy with new install and says it is worth every rupee.
I think these should go in the test drive thread of XUV.
Low intensity is a short coming of XUV and probably need not be classified as a niggle.
I would be happy to stand corrected if the others think otherwise. I just voiced my opinion
Old 19th August 2013, 11:13   #2133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Something similar happened to me today. But the good news is that the mirror housing slammed shut and the mirror itself got dislodged, fell out and broke. The housing, adjustments are all functioning (folding and swiveling correctly. Before I go to an ASC, need to know if only the mirror (covex only) can be replaced and where and how much does it cost. Do let me know if you have had such an experience before.
Yes, AFAIK as I know if everything else functions properly, the wing mirror is definitely replaceable. I think your scenario is of minimum damage when only the mirror needs to be replaced . In my case the whole assembly was changed costing me 9k-ish. I don't know the exact cost of replacing just the mirror but I think it should not be anything upwards of 700-800 bucks. I'm just guessing the estimate because I had gotten the outer wing mirror of my Honda City replaced for Rs 500 from the A.S.S. an year ago.
Old 19th August 2013, 14:42   #2134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
6k should be bluish light, right.. I have heard that in normal conditions, this would be real good, but will face low visibility issues in rain and foggy conditions. A group of us XUV owners are trying to get the 4300K HID kit as it more yellowish and provides good visibility in all conditions .

FundaG
Does this impact warranty / service of the vehicle by any chance? Can this be done at Mahindra service center ?
Old 19th August 2013, 15:35   #2135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Does this impact warranty / service of the vehicle by any chance? Can this be done at Mahindra service center ?
One of the mahindra service centres in Bangalore has agreed to get it done. So there would be no loss in warranty.

FundaG
Old 19th August 2013, 16:21   #2136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
One of the mahindra service centres in Bangalore has agreed to get it done. So there would be no loss in warranty.

FundaG
I wrote to Mr. Kannan from M&M on this issue. He contacted his technical team and the response I got from him (in writing) is that as long as the bulb wattage conforms to the specifications (55 and 60 for low and high beams respectively) there is no problem with warranty. Anything other than this could void the warranty
shrk_18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 19:51   #2137
BHPian

The high beam is 55w as well which I confirmed while putting in the HIDs. The HIDs are of lower voltage which in my case is 35w running cooler and drawing less power. 50w kits are also available and should not void the warranty and but 70w kits would.
shibu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 20:45   #2138
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The high beam is 55w as well which I confirmed while putting in the HIDs. The HIDs are of lower voltage which in my case is 35w running cooler and drawing less power. 50w kits are also available and should not void the warranty and but 70w kits would.
Sorry if I missed the details in an earlier post.
Did you change the low-beam bulbs to HID, the high-beam ones or both?
Also are the ones you have plug-and-play..no cutting/splicing wires?
Old 19th August 2013, 22:40   #2139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Something similar happened to me today. But the good news is that the mirror housing slammed shut and the mirror itself got dislodged, fell out and broke. The housing, adjustments are all functioning (folding and swiveling correctly. Before I go to an ASC, need to know if only the mirror (covex only) can be replaced and where and how much does it cost. Do let me know if you have had such an experience before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
Yes, AFAIK as I know if everything else functions properly, the wing mirror is definitely replaceable. I think your scenario is of minimum damage when only the mirror needs to be replaced . In my case the whole assembly was changed costing me 9k-ish. I don't know the exact cost of replacing just the mirror but I think it should not be anything upwards of 700-800 bucks. I'm just guessing the estimate because I had gotten the outer wing mirror of my Honda City replaced for Rs 500 from the A.S.S. an year ago.
The ORVM mirror plate is separately available for Rs 327. One of my ORVM mirror plates fell off and broke a few months ago when the ORVM grazed against a pedestrian. The ORVM assembly in my W6 was otherwise undamaged. In W6 the mirror adjustment is motorized but folding / unfolding is manual.

It is relevant to mention that it took about an hour’s struggle at the ASC to fit the mirror plate properly. There seems to be a design defect which prevents proper fastening of the mirror plate to the motorized mechanism inside and the mirrors keep coming off on slight impact.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 01:25   #2140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

Sorry if I missed the details in an earlier post.
Did you change the low-beam bulbs to HID, the high-beam ones or both?
Also are the ones you have plug-and-play..no cutting/splicing wires?
Yes I changed only the low beam ones. The Philips kit is completely plug and play and cutting/ splicing of wires was not required.
shibu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 09:09   #2141
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I changed only the low beam ones. The Philips kit is completely plug and play and cutting/ splicing of wires was not required.
This is great. Would like to know how effective they are in heavy rains. I have read reports which say that HID's are not effective in rains. Also would like to know what their lifespan would be, as it is a heavy investment and a bulb replacement is a heavy on the purse
Old 20th August 2013, 09:24   #2142
SDP
Team-BHP Support

While we are discussing HID coversion kits for XUV (and since I am definitely interested as I also do face issues in night driving), I did read about it a bit here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ulbs-mean.html

Quoting from 3 posts which are important:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
Pure white light is not really effective on the highways. Opt for lights with a hint of yellow, completely avoid those bluish white and extreme white types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63
At last someone has got the picture right. All this hogwash about white light being better is just selling tactics. HID's for that matter fitted on NON-PROJECTOR applications are a total waste.

The best the human eye can see is in the yellowish tint regular halogens.
My advice DO NOT go in for the "white light" you may have severe problems in bad weather & you may be endangering other motorists / pedestrians etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
Agree 100%. Remember the lamp has a spectrum, modifying it with the glass is just removing some of it. If I ever go HID I will go for 2700 (if available) or 4300K. The 'bluer' the light, the less effective it will be in fog or rain. Scattering decreases as wavelength gets longer (towards Red).
------------------------------------------------------------
In a nutshell, here's my understanding:

1. For XUV, since the low-beams (and not hi-beams) have a projector setup, the low-beam bulbs should be replaced with a HID conversion kit. The performance of stock hi-beams is OK, I believe.

2. We need to go for 4300K or lower as far as temperature is concerned.

3. HID conversion kits are plug-and-play, so no cutting/splicing of wires is needed. So no warranty issues.

4. HID bulbs of wattage lower than or equal to 50W should be used. This would ensure that no additional load on existing wiring/fuses (which are designed for 50/55W bulbs). This would also ensure that the headlight assemblies don't get heated too much causing melting/warping of the plastic parts. So there should not be any warraty issues.

5. May be buying the HID conversion kit from outside and then getting it installed at the service center is a safer option, if you can get the service-center to do it (assuming that they have the knowhow).

Thanks Shibu and others for sharing the details and knowledge.

Last edited by SDP : 20th August 2013 at 09:29.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 14:25   #2143
BHPian

I know that this question must have been asked a million times but I will still put it up as a family member on the XUV quest is now stuck in the famed buy no buy land.
Things like the Ecosport and the Duster further aggravate his problems but unsurprisingly he cant get the XUV out of his head.

I did not put this up in the official thread but in the niggles thread because I feel at least here most commenters are bonafide users and people who have experienced the good the bad and I hope not but the ugly first hand.

So Should one buy the XUV today (W6 variant most likely) and realistically what kind of mileage should one expect in city and highway. As a city car in Delhi traffic, how difficult it is to drive(Power realted) and maneuver(size and visibility wise).

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 19:14   #2144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
I know that this question must have been asked a million times but I will still put it up as a family member on the XUV quest is now stuck in the famed buy no buy land.
Things like the Ecosport and the Duster further aggravate his problems but unsurprisingly he cant get the XUV out of his head.

I did not put this up in the official thread but in the niggles thread because I feel at least here most commenters are bonafide users and people who have experienced the good the bad and I hope not but the ugly first hand.

So Should one buy the XUV today (W6 variant most likely) and realistically what kind of mileage should one expect in city and highway. As a city car in Delhi traffic, how difficult it is to drive(Power realted) and maneuver(size and visibility wise).

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
As discussed before, expect around 11-12 kmpl in delhi traffic and around 14 on highway. Personally i dont like the city drives in XUV but LOVE it on highways. Reason: first and second gear have a short ratio hence needs to be handled carefully. Third gear and above is excellent. Adding to it, first 2 gears are not that smooth either. BUT, once you are on highway, boy, nothing comes close to it (below 20 lakhs SUV's). Forget about Duster,Ecosport and now Terrano, they are just small little SUV wannabe's in front for XUV (no offence to there owners,just my thought).

So if your family member cannot ignore XUV, then its a sign from GOD that he/she deserve this cheetah.
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 22:00   #2145
Team-BHP Support

SO does this take care of most of the niggles?

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/354...-improved.aspx
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks