Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2013, 07:29   #1906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Come to think of it, how come my friend has a different style of pads than mine?? If you look at it, the design is different from first pic that is my friends 2012 model and later is mine. Interesting haan.

Dont know if you can make out, but his pads does not have those lines which i have below. Now i am confused which ones are Galfer ones. His or mine?
It could be due to the angle of the photograph. I can see faint lines in the first pic with cleaner pads.
Old 1st July 2013, 08:14   #1907
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
... So the best method is connecting an ODB and check. I see you are in Bangalore, we can meet up and do a trail run with ODB connected if that gives you peace of mind
Brilliant genuine helping gesture HCP!
Planning a trip to Mumbai any time soon?

Jokes apart, would love to meet up and compare notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Did a ODB check of my car with HCP today and the peace of mind is back.

Turbo is working fine as per the boost graphs. Slightly lower boost, but HCP figured out the reason so that I can take it up with the service the next time round and improve the boost. Additionally since HCP drove my car, came to know the brakes are still spongy and less confidence inspiring compared to HCP's car. Also on checking the horn, realised it has broken and was lying on the belt. I had asked my RM to replace the horn bracket 2 weeks back, but he had mentioned it was in very good condition and did not show any sign of falling off. And in less than 2 weeks its broken....

Thanks a lot HCP for your time, effort and suggestions.

FundaG
Fantastic! You seem to have caught at least 3 issues with HCP's help.

The siren falling off issue is extremely irritating. How many data points do M&M need before issuing a recall on this part?
When M&M issues a recall, any part that is supposed to be replaced in your car pops up as an alert when the record for your car is pulled up from the system. That's why Mahindras should issue proper recall for such parts rather than the RMs making incorrect judgement calls and endangering the lives of customers.

Please do ask for the new brake-pedal if it is not installed in your car. The braking performance improves substantially with the new brake-pedal. The new pads remove the grinding noise, but the new pedal is the one which removes the spongy feeling, the play and overall ineffectivess of the brakes.

PS: Getting a chance to get a feel of somebody else's car is very important. Over a period of time, we get used to our cars and the gradual degradation of any functionality is very difficult to catch. Only when we try the same thing with a different car, we realize that there is a problem.

Let me try to establish a personal connect with a couple of other XUV owners in Mumbai. It would be great if I can try their XUV and they can try mine and then we compare notes.

Last edited by SDP : 1st July 2013 at 08:21.
Old 1st July 2013, 09:33   #1908
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
...4 warning lights. Hild Hold, Hill Descent, ABS and ESP. Permanently glowing. ...
Quote:
...I had this problem around 2-3 months back. ... After lot of trial and error they finally realised it was the wiring (something I was asking them to check right from day one). ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
I've faced this issue right from Day 1 - However, I only have HHC, HDC and ESP warnings and not ABS but I believe there are no malfunctions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
SDP, is this the wire that we are talking about ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
SDP: Mine was the left hand side too although to be honest, the wire looked like it got cut and it didn't seem to have any nibble marks on it. It looked like a clean cut.

.... but they said only the wiring harness bundle have steel braiding and individual wires to sensors don't have any sort of protection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
... Though not securing the wiring in the right manner is something they can improve.

Quote:
...the RM mentioned that he is almost certain that its a problem of a rat chewing on wires and most probably its the left front side tyre where the rat would have attacked. So looks like its a problem that the service center guys are well aware off.

I will take any further discussion on this to my ownership thread as rat-problems do not belong to the niggles thread.
I figured out that its not a rat-nibbling problem. So taking it up again on this thread and providing logical closure.

Here are the details about the issue and my discussion with the RM:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3162364

Pics of the damaged wires.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3164133

Detailed investigation and my conclusion.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3164628

Last edited by SDP : 1st July 2013 at 09:36.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 10:56   #1909
BHPian

Quote:

PS: Getting a chance to get a feel of somebody else's car is very important. Over a period of time, we get used to our cars and the gradual degradation of any functionality is very difficult to catch. Only when we try the same thing with a different car, we realize that there is a problem.

Let me try to establish a personal connect with a couple of other XUV owners in Mumbai. It would be great if I can try their XUV and they can try mine and then we compare notes.
I was thinking on the same lines SDP. Believe TBHP members should have some XUV get together in their respective cities once in a quarter or so. Issues can be discussed, new issues can be found etc. Wrt my brakes I had brought this topic with my RM several times and I was constantly getting the answer it was the latest brake pad and pedal in my car. And as you rightly noted, with due time one gets used to anything.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 20:59   #1910
BHPian

Quote:

I was thinking on the same lines SDP. Believe TBHP members should have some XUV get together in their respective cities once in a quarter or so. Issues can be discussed, new issues can be found etc. Wrt my brakes I had brought this topic with my RM several times and I was constantly getting the answer it was the latest brake pad and pedal in my car. And as you rightly noted, with due time one gets used to anything.

FundaG
The XUV owners group on Facebook meets up every now and then. Meets have happened in Bangalore, Delhi and Chandigarh. Would love to meet fellow owners and compare notes (niggles)
Rossiter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 22:40   #1911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
The XUV owners group on Facebook meets up every now and then. Meets have happened in Bangalore, Delhi and Chandigarh. Would love to meet fellow owners and compare notes (niggles)
Thats good news Rossiter. Would be great if the future meet details are posted in the TBHP forums also incase FB posts are missed.

FundaG
Old 1st July 2013, 22:49   #1912
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
FundaG
FundaG, remember the video you posted on my ownership thread about how to acknowledge the "RR tyre swapped" message so that it stops appearing everyday after 10-20 minutes of drive??

I did try that and acknowledged the alert when it popped up by pressing on the TPMS button on the left of the dials. Tried normal press a couple of times. Tried long press a couple of times. Unfortunately the alert still continues and I see it everyday without fail exactly 15 minutes after starting the car.

What about you? You managed to get rid of the alert?
Old 1st July 2013, 23:11   #1913
BHPian

Quote:

FundaG, remember the video you posted on my ownership thread about how to acknowledge the "RR tyre swapped" message so that it stops appearing everyday after 10-20 minutes of drive??

I did try that and acknowledged the alert when it popped up by pressing on the TPMS button on the left of the dials. Tried normal press a couple of times. Tried long press a couple of times. Unfortunately the alert still continues and I see it everyday without fail exactly 15 minutes after starting the car.

What about you? You managed to get rid of the alert?
Have to try it. Couple of times it came up, I was not in a position to push the button. Will keep you posted if I get it sorted.

FundaG
Old 4th July 2013, 11:11   #1914
BHPian

I am facing a few issues lately. Can someone shed some light on these ?

Issue 01 : HHC is not kicking in when it is supposed to, on uphill slopes.

Issue 02 : With HDC switched on, while driving on a straight road, I get a grinding noise and feedback from the clutch.

Issue 03 : Whistle-like noise while climbing speeds to switch up to the next gear. This is intermittent and not always noticeable.

Issue 04 : Whenever the vehicle gets wet, either a good wash or heavy rains, after which if the vehicle is switched off and on again, all the warning indicators for ESP,ABS,HDC/HHC light up continuously. After a few hours, when switched on again, then these warnings disappear. I am guessing this is because the water dried off ?

Last edited by Xryder : 4th July 2013 at 11:13.
Old 4th July 2013, 11:30   #1915
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
I am facing a few issues lately. Can someone shed some light on these ?
Let me try.

Quote:
The clutch needs to be pressed completely for HHC to kick in. Please check once again with the clutch pressed all the way.

Quote:
Issue 02 : With HDC switched on, while driving on a straight road, I get a grinding noise and feedback from the clutch.
HDC is used to crawl down a tricky slope. It does control throttle input and braking. So not sure if what you have mentioned is out of ordinary. Please try the functionality on a non-risky slope going dowanwards.

Quote:
Issue 03 : Whistle-like noise while climbing speeds to switch up to the next gear. This is intermittent and not always noticeable.
Turbo whistle by any chance?

Quote:
Issue 04 : Whenever the vehicle gets wet, either a good wash or heavy rains, after which if the vehicle is switched off and on again, all the warning indicators for ESP,ABS,HDC/HHC light up continuously. After a few hours, when switched on again, then these warnings disappear. I am guessing this is because the water dried off ?
This is not good. Please get it checked.

Last edited by SDP : 4th July 2013 at 11:36.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 11:37   #1916
BHPian

Quote:
It's most likely a water seepage issue, inside the fuse box or anything nearby. Ideally this shouldn't happen. Please take the following precautions.
Never clean the engine bay yourself. If you do, please make sure that the fuse box is properly insulated from water. If even after rains, this symptom occurs, it could mean that the electrical wires are getting exposed to water, which is not a good thing at all. Not even a bit. Get this rectified ASAP.

For others' ever helpful SDP has provided enough pointers.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 11:45   #1917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

HHC will only work when you release the clutch with a forward gear selected, if you are reversing on an incline Reverse gear has to selected for HHC to work.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 12:02   #1918
BHPian

Quote:
The clutch needs to be pressed completely for HHC to kick in. Please check once again with the clutch pressed all the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
HHC will only work when you release the clutch with a forward gear selected, if you are reversing on an incline Reverse gear has to selected for HHC to work.
I did have clutch pressed completely [1st gear] and that too on a slope, the vehicle rolled back.

Quote:
HDC is used to crawl down a tricky slope. It does control throttle input and braking. So not sure if what you have mentioned is out of ordinary. Please try the functionality on a non-risky slope going downwards.
HDC turned on, but does not kick in. Tried on a non-risky downwards slope. Tried on a minimal incline as well. No HDC.

Quote:
Turbo whistle by any chance?
Could be turbo-whistle. Since it is intermittent, not able to confirm. I have a OBD II device with Torque Pro. Will it show up any different values indicative of the Turbo whistle? If there is a Turbo issue, would it have to be replaced ?

Quote:
This is not good. Please get it checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
It's most likely a water seepage issue, inside the fuse box or anything nearby. Ideally this shouldn't happen. Please take the following precautions.
Never clean the engine bay yourself. If you do, please make sure that the fuse box is properly insulated from water. If even after rains, this symptom occurs, it could mean that the electrical wires are getting exposed to water, which is not a good thing at all. Not even a bit.
Never cleaned the EngineBay by myself. Have always got it done at the service center or a 3M outlet. Infact, the EngineBay was never opened for the time the issue was noticed after the wash nor during the rains.Was unable to find this issue reported earlier on this thread. Has anyone faced something like this ?
Xryder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 14:15   #1919
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did have clutch pressed completely [1st gear] and that too on a slope, the vehicle rolled back.

HDC turned on, but does not kick in. Tried on a non-risky downwards slope. Tried on a minimal incline as well. No HDC.

Could be turbo-whistle. Since it is intermittent, not able to confirm. I have a OBD II device with Torque Pro. Will it show up any different values indicative of the Turbo whistle? If there is a Turbo issue, would it have to be replaced ?
HHC-HDC malfunctions (without any warning/indicator on the dashboard) have not been reported. At least not to my knowledge. So please do report these to the service-center.

About OBD2 and turbo, HotChillyPepper is the best person who can help.

Post diagnosis by the service center, please do let us know what caused this.
Old 4th July 2013, 14:52   #1920
BHPian

Quote:
I noted while crawling on flyovers - you need to first apply the brakes firmly to come to a stop. Then you need to release the brake with the clutch pressed completely.
If you come to a stop without the brakes - at very slow speeds, then the HHC does not kick in.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks