Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2013, 10:13   #1876
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
On another note - has anyone filled up from any Shell outlet? Dont see any major difference, but the fact that noise levels have gone up
Even my i20 engine turned rough after filling from shell diesel. The reason i have heard is that all engines is tuned for a bit adulterated diesel,so when it gets pure diesel then the sound characteristics change. But with continued use of the pure quality diesel, the engine will get adjusted to this and eventually noise levels will come down.
Old 25th June 2013, 14:24   #1877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Spoke to the RM. He asked me whether the lights appeared while driving long distance or did they appear within 15 minutes of starting driving. I said - the car was parked overnight and I started tje journey at 4:15am. Within first 15kms, the lights came up.

After hearing this, the RM mentioned that he is almost certain that its a problem of a rat chewing on wires and most probably its the left front side tyre where the rat would have attacked. So looks like its a problem that the service center guys are well aware off.

I will take any further discussion on this to my ownership thread as rat-problems do not belong to the niggles thread.

Why the wires of such critical components like ABS and ESP are not shielded and easily accessible to rats, is a doubt that would still trouble me.
SDP: Mine was the left hand side too although to be honest, the wire looked like it got cut and it didn't seem to have any nibble marks on it. It looked like a clean cut.

When the workshop people showed up, they immediately went to work on the left side and said it's a very very common problem. I asked why they don't use steel braided wires for important wiring, but they said only the wiring harness bundle have steel braiding and individual wires to sensors don't have any sort of protection.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 14:42   #1878
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
...When the workshop people showed up, they immediately went to work on the left side and said it's a very very common problem. I asked why they don't use steel braided wires for important wiring, but they said only the wiring harness bundle have steel braiding and individual wires to sensors don't have any sort of protection.
This is bad!

Mahindras, when you know that its a very very common problem and is apparently because of design-shortcuts (unshielded wires) or parts quality (assuming the wire-breakage is due to poor wire and not rat-bite), why isn't there a redesign so that the problem is fixed in all vehicles.

I am getting increasingly frustrated by Mahindra's "wait and watch" approach to fixing issues. Why wait for individual vehicles to fail, rather than issuing a recall and addressing all vehicles in one shot?

Last edited by SDP : 25th June 2013 at 14:54.
Old 25th June 2013, 23:34   #1879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
SDP, is this the wire that we are talking about ?
Quote:
This is bad!

Mahindras, when you know that its a very very common problem and is apparently because of design-shortcuts (unshielded wires) or parts quality (assuming the wire-breakage is due to poor wire and not rat-bite), why isn't there a redesign so that the problem is fixed in all vehicles.

I am getting increasingly frustrated by Mahindra's "wait and watch" approach to fixing issues. Why wait for individual vehicles to fail, rather than issuing a recall and addressing all vehicles in one shot?
The yellow wire in the pic is the brake pad thickness sensor wire. It got cut on my car about a year ago. Like the RM said, it's a very common issue.
Rossiter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 07:59   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post

The yellow wire in the pic is the brake pad thickness sensor wire. It got cut on my car about a year ago. Like the RM said, it's a very common issue.
Yes you are right, the warning for me when this wire was cut was shown in the infotainment unit as 'brake pads have worn out'. There was no warnings lights for HHC and ESP. But these features are not there on my W6.
Old 26th June 2013, 08:04   #1881
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
Interesting. The brake-pad sensor has got nothing to do with HHC, HDC, ABS and ESP. So I doubt this wire is the one that has caused the 4 lights to glow.
Old 26th June 2013, 09:26   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting. The brake-pad sensor has got nothing to do with HHC, HDC, ABS and ESP. So I doubt this wire is the one that has caused the 4 lights to glow.
If brake pads are worn out all above said functions would be get affected. So I guess they will have checks in software as a precondition for activating these features. For safety reasons this sensor will be a "normally closed" design and when the wire is cut it would sense as a fault trigger. I don't find anything unusual with this design / behavior. Though not securing the wiring in the right manner is something they can improve.

thanks
HCP
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 09:49   #1883
BHPian

Quote:

The wire that causes the hhc, hdc, and abs lights to glow is the tire pressure sensor wire. It's black in color if I remember right.
Old 26th June 2013, 10:10   #1884
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The wire that causes the hhc, hdc, and abs lights to glow is the tire pressure sensor wire. ...
Sorry, I doubt that.
1. Pressure sensors are embedded in the alloy, so I doubt about the wire part.
2. If a tyre-pressure-wire indeed got cut, besides others, the TPMS malfunction light should also glow, which isn't the case.

My car has been picked up just 10 minutes back from home.
I will talk to the RM later today about which sensor wire got cut.
Old 26th June 2013, 10:14   #1885
BHPian

My car just got picked up for service as well. The RHS LEDs conked out a while ago, and the suspension is back to making some noises after a brief respite. My RM is still insisting that there is no change in brake pedal design.
Old 26th June 2013, 20:11   #1886
BHPian

How has been the video quality on the display. I had tried playing from original CD's as well as avi from USB. See a lot of horizontal lines going up and down the screen, visible especially when the screen is showing a black screen like at the start of the movie. However, I see no lines when using the screen for any other purposes including maps. Also no lines when the black screen comes up informing "video will not be played when the vehicle is in motion".

So the line issue (like noise) is present only when playing a video. And it is not related to the quality of the video file, since I even tried playing movies from original CD's, HD quality avi files etc.

Have recorded the screen playing a video using my mobile. Though it would appear fine, if one looks closely, one can notice all those horizontal lines moving up and down, like in those old theatre screens.
Not that it is a showstopper considering videos dont play when the car is in motion and no one waits inside the car for that long to watch a complete movie. But yet if it is a issue as such with the display would prefer to get it changed it within the waranty period.

Old 26th June 2013, 22:57   #1887
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
How has been the video quality on the display. I had tried playing from original CD's as well as avi from USB. See a lot of horizontal lines going up and down the screen, visible especially when the screen is showing a black screen like at the start of the movie. However, I see no lines when using the screen for any other purposes including maps. Also no lines when the black screen comes up informing "video will not be played when the vehicle is in motion".

So the line issue (like noise) is present only when playing a video. And it is not related to the quality of the video file, since I even tried playing movies from original CD's, HD quality avi files etc.

Have recorded the screen playing a video using my mobile. Though it would appear fine, if one looks closely, one can notice all those horizontal lines moving up and down, like in those old theatre screens.
Not that it is a showstopper considering videos dont play when the car is in motion and no one waits inside the car for that long to watch a complete movie. But yet if it is a issue as such with the display would prefer to get it changed it within the waranty period.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=mAbEDQxthDU
I tried hard...but I can't seem to find anything wrong, probably try another video which shows a more prominent version of the problem....
Old 27th June 2013, 00:34   #1888
BHPian

I can't seem to find what's wrong with the video you've posted? If maps and everything else are displaying fine then the screen isn't a problem. Maybe something to do with the frame rate? Just a wild guess so experts please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 27th June 2013, 09:19   #1889
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
How has been the video quality on the display. I had tried playing from original CD's as well as avi from USB. See a lot of horizontal lines going up and down the screen, visible especially when the screen is showing a black screen like at the start of the movie.....
If you are visiting the service center, get a opinion from the RM and the service-advisor about this. There are just too many format, encoding-decoding, frame-rate and hardware variables involved in video and its very difficult to pinpoint to a cause without extensive trial and error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I tried hard...but I can't seem to find anything wrong, probably try another video which shows a more prominent version of the problem....
Quote:
I can't seem to find what's wrong with the video you've posted? If maps and everything else are displaying fine then the screen isn't a problem. Maybe something to do with the frame rate? Just a wild guess so experts please correct me if I'm wrong.
Even I am not able to observe anything different, but I was not expecting anything anyways. Along with other things, the frame-rate of the recording device (mobile, DSLR or handcam) and sync rate of the screen on which we are watching (LED, LCD, tablet, mobile) would play major role in what we see.

You must have seen when you record something playing on TV by putting a recordign device in front of the TV, you get lines and/or bands and/or discoloration. Its practically impossible to record the video image played on another screen and get any acceptable quality. So, I will go with Fundagenie's words rather than the video he shared.

Last edited by SDP : 27th June 2013 at 09:21.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 10:25   #1890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
If brake pads are worn out all above said functions would be get affected. So I guess they will have checks in software as a precondition for activating these features. For safety reasons this sensor will be a "normally closed" design and when the wire is cut it would sense as a fault trigger. I don't find anything unusual with this design / behavior. Though not securing the wiring in the right manner is something they can improve.

thanks
HCP
The brake pad thickness wire was disconnected in my XUV for a while. I do not know about ESP but ABS, Hill hold control and Hill descent assist worked fine all the time. Also, the braking performance was never an issue, only problem was annoying Brake pads worn out warning.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks