Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2013, 18:15   #1576
BANNED

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, it happens all the time at the the Maruti Workshop where my Vitara is serviced.
Is that a torque wrench?
Old 19th March 2013, 18:24   #1577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Is that a torque wrench?
It is a pneumatic torque wrench.. does it look like something else?
Old 19th March 2013, 18:27   #1578
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is a pneumatic torque wrench.. does it look like something else?
Looks like a pneumatic wrench for sure and is pretty commonly seen and used at most workshops, without adjusting the torque though. I m happy if the mechanics at MASS change the torque settings every time before they tighten a bolt.
Old 19th March 2013, 19:08   #1579
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I m yet to see a single bolt in the service center being tightened using torque wrenches.
Quote:
Looks like a pneumatic wrench for sure and is pretty commonly seen and used at most workshops
Hmm...

Quote:
I m happy if the mechanics at MASS change the torque settings every time before they tighten a bolt.
Well, that depends on how well the mechanics are trained and monitored by the works manager. Fortunately, they are very professional at this Maruti workshop, been with them since 7 years.
Old 20th March 2013, 08:01   #1580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinghal80 View Post
i was facing some "kat-kat" sound in my XUV while changing 1 and 2nd gear or applying hard brake, sometime hill hold light starts glowing in instrument clusture and hill hold stops working, rain sensing wiper sensors stops working.
Yesterday when i took to service center and to my shock 2 out 4 gear mounting was broken. :(
Here is the pic of broken mounting
This appears to be serious. Would greatly appreciate a detailed report on the problem, its likely causes and how it was fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Sorry SDP have to disagree. My vehicle was brilliantly aligned.

However, on a single lane state highway, about 10 days back, there was a truck from the other side and in allowing it to pass on the narrow road, the left wheels went on the adjoining dirt track. As soon as the truck passed and I pulled up back on the road, the front left wheel took a hard hit. I suspect it must have hit a jutting out rock, , and that screwed the alignment.

I took it to a Bridgestone dealer and I think he over compensated on the other side. Now I'm going in for my first service and get the alignment re-done at the dealer. Hope they get it back to it's original factory alignment.
My XUV too is perfectly aligned. I have done 10,000 KM and gone over some pretty bad terrain but alignment still appears fine. It is worrisome to know that alignment can suddenly change after hitting an obstacle.
Old 20th March 2013, 08:39   #1581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikanojia View Post
One more issue I see with my XUV is of the vehicle steering towards the left if I keep very soft hold or or no hold of steering. Anybody else faced this issue and what is the fix?
My XUV veers towards the left. As SDP had pointed out, it's only a few whose wheels have been aligned perfectly right.
I recently took my vehicle to a wheel alignment center and here were the results.

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-wheel-alignment.jpg

A negative camber on a car that's fresh out of the factory doesn't speak great about engineering. It's a simple wheel alignment job and Mahindra can't get this right. I'm ready to overlook the electronic niggles, as they are a little more challenging, especially when it involves other vendors. But wheel alignment ! Sorry Mahindra, you better tighten your bolts, soon.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 08:15   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
I recently took my vehicle to a wheel alignment center and here were the results.
How come the initial and final readings of camber are the same?
Old 21st March 2013, 08:22   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
How come the initial and final readings of camber are the same?
Good observation Debuda. They tried to correct it, but left it unattended to be taken up with the service center. I wanted this to be highlighted to A$$.
On hindsight I think, I should have insisted on correcting it there. I may take it to the SC this weekend, if not will get this corrected at the nearby shop.
Old 21st March 2013, 08:42   #1584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Good observation Debuda. They tried to correct it, but left it unattended to be taken up with the service center. I wanted this to be highlighted to A$$.
On hindsight I think, I should have insisted on correcting it there. I may take it to the SC this weekend, if not will get this corrected at the nearby shop.
Now that you didn't get your camber corrected at the shop, I suggest that you get it done at the A.S.S. and insist that they do it free of cost. Also, you'll be able to compare the camber readings taken by the shop and A.S.S.
Old 21st March 2013, 17:36   #1585
BHPian

Using Galfer brake pads for the past 4 days, it is a lot different from older ones. This brake pad doesn't feel like you are stepping onto a rock. Now the braking is much progressive and predictive.

Another complaint raised was hard gear shifting, especially first and second. I believe they just greased the gear liver. It is definitely better than earlier, but not up to mark.

-HCP
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 14:00   #1586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Using Galfer brake pads for the past 4 days, it is a lot different from older ones. This brake pad doesn't feel like you are stepping onto a rock. Now the braking is much progressive and predictive.

Another complaint raised was hard gear shifting, especially first and second. I believe they just greased the gear liver. It is definitely better than earlier, but not up to mark.

-HCP
HotChillyPepper, have you replaced the brake pedals as well? Or is it just the pads?

I've given my car for service today and asked them to replace the pedals and pads. They seemed confused when I said replace pedal.
Old 22nd March 2013, 14:20   #1587
SDP
Team-BHP Support

HCP, tacho,

Today I am completing 3 weeks on Galfer brake-pads and new brake-pedal. The brake-groan just before the vehicle comes to a complete halt is gone. Not sure what they did with the new brake-pedal, but the spongy feeling and the initial 1 inch of dead-travel is gone. Tap your foot on the brake-pedal and it immediately starts biting. In fact, it is so senstive that if you apply a bit more force, the car nose-dives and you get thrown forward from your seat. Very confidence inspiring. In fact, after getting used to them for first 4-5 days, I have started braking late.

Please note that, the Galfer pads as well as the new brake-pedal are being 'tested'. The service-centers would most likely have only a few pieces, if at all. Some service-centers and RMs might be clueless about them. Talk to your RM and if necessary area-customer-care-manager if you are facing unbearble brake noise and feel issues.

Last edited by SDP : 22nd March 2013 at 14:22.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:13   #1588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
HotChillyPepper, have you replaced the brake pedals as well? Or is it just the pads?

I've given my car for service today and asked them to replace the pedals and pads. They seemed confused when I said replace pedal.
Hey Tachobells, I have only got the brake pads replaced. Brake pedal is still the same old one. The stopping power much better and braking action is progressive. But still the brake pedal play is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
HCP, tacho,

Today I am completing 3 weeks on Galfer brake-pads and new brake-pedal. The brake-groan just before the vehicle comes to a complete halt is gone. Not sure what they did with the new brake-pedal, but the spongy feeling and the initial 1 inch of dead-travel is gone. Tap your foot on the brake-pedal and it immediately starts biting. In fact, it is so senstive that if you apply a bit more force, the car nose-dives and you get thrown forward from your seat. Very confidence inspiring. In fact, after getting used to them for first 4-5 days, I have started braking late.

Please note that, the Galfer pads as well as the new brake-pedal are being 'tested'. The service-centers would most likely have only a few pieces, if at all. Some service-centers and RMs might be clueless about them. Talk to your RM and if necessary area-customer-care-manager if you are facing unbearble brake noise and feel issues.
Thanks SDP. So this explains why the brake pedal play is still there. I will check with my RM for this and see what he says. Thanks for the info.

-HCP
Old 22nd March 2013, 18:09   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
This is awesome feedback. Looks like M&M have finally got their act together as far as the XUV brakes are concerned. My brakes (3rd generation Bosch pads) never had the noise problem but stopping force is inadequate and therefore I'm keenly awaiting modification to my brakes.

BTW, how did they select you for the 'beta-testing'? Are you required to submit a report to M&M on your findings?

I'd like to know the exact difference in the new brake pedal design. Maybe you could post a picture.

Last edited by debuda : 22nd March 2013 at 18:12.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 22:12   #1590
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
BTW, how did they select you for the 'beta-testing'? Are you required to submit a report to M&M on your findings?
I had expressed displeasure at the number of visits that I had made to the service-centers and some of the issues needing repeat-visits. The area-customer-care-manager looked into my case and asked the service-center to do a thorough check. He is the one that asked them to get the latest pads and pedal installed on my car. They have asked for my feedback, although not in any particular format. I have provided a early feedback on day 3 and then provided another feedback last week.

Quote:
I'd like to know the exact difference in the new brake pedal design. Maybe you could post a picture.
Since they wanted to do a thorough check on my machine (including the winder motors of the front windows and proper steering/wheel alignment), the vehicle stayed in the service-center overnight. So unfortunately I don't have photos of the new design.

I have visually inspected the pads after taking the delivery of the car the next day and my understanding is that the front pads are Galfer, while the rear ones are still Bosch. Not very sure whether only front or all pads are supposed to be from Galfer. Would talk to my RM about it when I visit next time.

Last edited by SDP : 22nd March 2013 at 22:15.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks