Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2011, 23:34   #1
BHPian

Radiator fan conked off in my Fabia!

Hey guys! Need some advice. It seems that my fabia's radiator fan has conked off that too just 1 mnth after warranty expired. workshop is quoting apprx 12k for the part plus labour. Asked the advisor if its repairable in any way but he isnt ready to even consider anything other than replacing. Guys please advice any good workshop in delhi ncr where i could show the problem and get it repaired. any place where i can get the part cheap??
The car cools only when it reaches speed in excess of 60. Is it harmful to drive the car as the fan is not working and it may heat up the car. Thnx guys..
Old 15th September 2011, 23:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ac fan conked off fabia!

You can try pushing Skoda and your A.S.S for a good will warranty. The Radiator fan shouldn't just die like that.

The fan not working is a serious problem. If the engine overheats it could seize up.
Old 16th September 2011, 00:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank123 View Post
Hey guys! Need some advice. It seems that my fabia's radiator fan has conked off that too just 1 mnth after warranty expired. workshop is quoting apprx 12k for the part plus labour. Asked the advisor if its repairable in any way but he isnt ready to even consider anything other than replacing. Guys please advice any good workshop in delhi ncr where i could show the problem and get it repaired. any place where i can get the part cheap??
The car cools only when it reaches speed in excess of 60. Is it harmful to drive the car as the fan is not working and it may heat up the car. Thnx guys..
The thread title mentions about AC fan whereas the post is about radiator fan. Please clarify.
If it is radiator fan do you mean that the fan motor has conked off or is it that the temperature switch is faulty.
Take the car to any reliable workshop catering for new gen cars and they would definitely set it right. Cool off.
What is it that it cools when speed is in excess of 60? Don't drive if the temp is high as said by captain slow the engine might seize.

Last edited by rajeev k : 16th September 2011 at 00:26.
Old 16th September 2011, 01:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It seems that my fabia's radiator fan has conked off
1st off, make sure it isnt a thermostat issue.
Quote:
workshop is quoting apprx 12k for the part plus labour
If worst case, fan is bust, then as its just 1 month after warranty, ask the dealer to give you goodwill warranty, or else, write to Skoda.
Quote:
Asked the advisor if its repairable in any way
If the above doesn't work out, then take it to an expert electrician. I'm sure you can get it corrected.
Quote:
any good workshop in delhi ncr
Ask delhi bhp'ns, or check directory.
Quote:
The car cools only when it reaches speed in excess of 60. Is it harmful to drive the car as the fan is not working
Yes, it is VERY HARMFUL to drive the car. If the situation cannot be avoided, make sure you give little stress to the engine and AC is OFF. In any case, I wouldn't recommend driving with fan conked off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The thread title mentions about AC fan whereas the post is about radiator fan.
In most cars, both are same.
Quote:
What is it that it cools when speed is in excess of 60?
Ram Air
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 04:22   #5
BHPian

HI take the matter up with skoda people, if you were lucky you will get it replaced. Also try totalled vehicle parts. If none of there are working you can always repair a motor, simple brush motor in that fan. NEver run wiihout fan, your new engine will die in no time. alyays keep an eye on the temp guague. If it goes above 1/2 immediately shut off engine and cool down.

Last edited by knob : 16th September 2011 at 04:24.
Old 16th September 2011, 05:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Push them for replacement, write to Skoda, things should not conk off immediately after the warranty. Manufacturers generally honor the warranty if things have gone bad too close to the real warranty dates.

Recently in one of my friends car the whole clutch assembly had to be changed and it 1k Kms over warranty but they still honored it.
Old 16th September 2011, 15:24   #7
BHPian

Fan Brushes can be repaired with an auto electrician if high price not wanting to be paid . Give it a try . IE assuming the ac fan is faulty .
Old 16th September 2011, 21:27   #8
BANNED

Re: Radiator fan conked off in my Fabia!

As anky said, i had repaired my lancers radiator fan, Though it is sealed type with some foldable plate lock, (not an screw type), I was with the electrician and he opened it and found that carbon brush has worn off, so i have got

Indica carbon brush for cooling fan - Rs.180
Anabond - Rs,5
Labour - Rs.100 (took almost 4 hours)

With slight filing of an side on carbon for exact fit, since i did not get carbon brush for lancer radiator fan, but still it is working fine , 2 years on, still going on.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...n-problem.html
rajivanoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 19:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys! Need some advice. It seems that my fabia's radiator fan has conked off that too just 1 mnth after warranty expired. .
This may sound stupid, but thought I'll just check.
I am sure the service guys would've checked the fuses first. You could also check that ... just in case. There are two sets of fuses for radiator fan - one on the dash panel right of steering column and the other next to the battery in engine bay.
Old 17th September 2011, 22:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

I second dhanush on thermostat issue. The same happened with our Indigo XL Dicor.

The thermostat went kaput and the Temp Gauge used to fell to "C" (yes you read it right) and the Radiator Fan did not work and hence the Coolant used to boil and overflow from the Aux. Tank's cap while driving on highway. But the Temp Gauge behaved correctly in city driving conditions and the Radiator Fan came ON as and when required.

After tracing for long time (almost 3-4 days), the thermostat (First the radiator was replaced with new, then at the end the thermostat)was found culprit and it was replaced under warranty that too after 4 months of warranty expiration.

EDIT: I had contacted the Regional Customer Support Manager at Tata Motors Ltd and the rectification was carried out at another TASC (Chavan Motors, Solapur) as against the Dealer (Sterling Motors, Solapur) which refused me Warranty that too after 1 Day of Expiration.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 17th September 2011 at 22:19.
Old 18th September 2011, 12:37   #11
BHPian

Thnx for d reply guyz... The skoda wrkshp wanted to replace the fan so took it to a local garage where he quoted for the same imported part from germany for 7k. That is a big difference wonder,how much profit does skoda make off spares.
though the.mechanic did some kind of work on the fan and it seems to be working fine for more though it seems to be a temporary fix.

OT changed my fabia's brake pad from a.s.s and it costed me 5k including labour dat's expensive..
The car has run apprx 85k km so it might require some major sevicing in coming time hope it does not bankrupt me.
Old 18th September 2011, 12:54   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The skoda wrkshp wanted to replace the fan so took it to a local garage where he quoted for the same imported part from germany for 7k. That is a big difference wonder,how much profit does skoda make off spares.
Locate some reliable importer of spare parts of imported parts, he might help you source the part. I do not recommend getting spares through some garage. Stay away from spurious spares, even if you get it for less than half the price.

BTW Which Skoda Service center do you take your car to? Giriraj Auto and Jai Auto chain are owned by the same person.
Old 18th September 2011, 22:54   #13
BHPian

Thnx for d tip. Will search for a good part supplier.

I have been dealing with giriraj for past 3 years and I am happy to report that the dealership has changed a lot in recent times in terms of professionalism , customer oriented. Have heard skoda has become pretty serious in terms of.customer satisfaction and has come hard on dealers. Though it is still miles away from a premium brand experience for after sales.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Eddy : 18th September 2011 at 23:01. Reason: Note Inline
Old 21st November 2014, 08:48   #14
BHPian

Have issue in Fabia Diesel AC with electric condenser fan which is not running at low speed,
It only runs at high speed and stops and does not switch between low and High speed.
Vinayaka service in Bangalore says Fan needs to be replaced,

Is this a issue of condenser fan controlmodule/resistor or the low speed function of the fan motor or condensor fan itself.
Cost of Fan plus labour is around 20K

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks