Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2011, 14:02   #1
BHPian

Honda City - Steering Rack Assembly (EPS)

Hi,

I am posting this again as a new post. I have earlier posted this as below, but unfortunately the thread has to be closed for obvious reasons.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...rience-12.html

I need some expert advice on my NHC GXi CVT and wondering if at any time some of you had also faced the steering rattling problem.

I have a pre-worshippped 2005 Honda City GXi CVT which I have owned from 54k kms and it is now at 61k kms. I have got a rear wheel bearing replaced after it started making a lot of noise. Deccan Honda, Pune had already warned me about this rear bearing at the 55k service.

They have also warned me about the Steering Rack and mentioned that it is usually completely replaced since the Honda has an electronic steering system. I can tell during city driving that the steering rack makes a thud sound when I go over potholes or bumps. There is no leaking which is visible, though.

Since this is supposed to be an expensive repair, with the dealer workshop quoting upto 50k as the cost, I would like to understand this problem before it becomes big so I can get correct service without feeling cheated.

I have a few questions –

1) Is failure imminent with my steering rack? Any way to tell how much life left in the rack?
2) Could it be sub-components that create this kind of problem, which I can get replaced?

I got enthused to buy a pre-worshipped car from Team-BHP after attending the Team-BMP members meet at Lonavala last year. I am very satisfied with the decision to buy a pre-worshipped car. Other than this Steering Rack issue, the car seems to have no problems.

Advice for what to look out for when taking my car for repairs now/later when it fails, is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Vipul
Old 31st May 2011, 14:20   #2
BHPian

re: Honda City - Steering Rack Assembly (EPS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_bscity View Post
Hi,

I am posting this again as a new post. I have earlier posted this as below, but unfortunately the thread has to be closed for obvious reasons.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...rience-12.html

I need some expert advice on my NHC GXi CVT and wondering if at any time some of you had also faced the steering rattling problem.

I have a pre-worshippped 2005 Honda City GXi CVT which I have owned from 54k kms and it is now at 61k kms. I have got a rear wheel bearing replaced after it started making a lot of noise. Deccan Honda, Pune had already warned me about this rear bearing at the 55k service.

They have also warned me about the Steering Rack and mentioned that it is usually completely replaced since the Honda has an electronic steering system. I can tell during city driving that the steering rack makes a thud sound when I go over potholes or bumps. There is no leaking which is visible, though.

Since this is supposed to be an expensive repair, with the dealer workshop quoting upto 50k as the cost, I would like to understand this problem before it becomes big so I can get correct service without feeling cheated.

I have a few questions –

1) Is failure imminent with my steering rack? Any way to tell how much life left in the rack?
2) Could it be sub-components that create this kind of problem, which I can get replaced?

I got enthused to buy a pre-worshipped car from Team-BHP after attending the Team-BMP members meet at Lonavala last year. I am very satisfied with the decision to buy a pre-worshipped car. Other than this Steering Rack issue, the car seems to have no problems.

Advice for what to look out for when taking my car for repairs now/later when it fails, is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Vipul
I previously owned the GXi NHC and had similar issues with the steering noise. That was just before we sold the car. Honda had quoted 45K at that time to replace the entire steering rack assembly. We didn't replace the assembly as the steering felt fine otherwise.

I'm not too sure if I should advise you to go for the overhaul. 50K is indeed too steep. It is hard to predict how much life is left in the steering. If the steering functions fine apart from the noise, I think you should live with the problem until it goes really bad.

Experts may be able to offer a better opinion.
Old 1st June 2011, 16:27   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Honda's sure seem to have weak steering racks! A known issue with the OHC too, once it crosses 60 - 70K kms. @ Vipul : The authorised service station is trained to replace even if repair is possible. I suggest you cross-check on the possibilities with a good independent. When my OHC steering rack started rattling & leaking, Linkway Honda wanted to replace it for nearly 20K rupees. I got it repaired from Sunil Shanbagh (co-ordinates in the Team-BHP Directory) for about 4K.
Old 22nd January 2013, 16:11   #4

Honda City - Steering Rack Assembly (EPS)

Honda City 2004 - EPS has failed and all Honda service outlets have quoted 25-30 K. Today I called Carnation, Noida and the service advisor quoted 32K !!

Can someone advise a reliable workshop in Noida /NCR where we can get a good job done at a reasonable cost.

The entire kit needs to be replaced as the car has clocked around 1.5L kms.
Old 22nd January 2013, 22:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Is 25-30k for the entire steering rack? Or only the EPS module and Motor? If it is the former, then I think it is reasonable considering the distance run by the car. If the cost involves only the module and motor, then its better to get a detailed inspection. Did the EPS fail suddenly? Asking this as I am having two cars with eps and I can keep a watch.
Old 23rd January 2013, 00:07   #6
Team-BHP Support

Honda/Hyundai etc are notorious for replacing whole units where as a sub component can be easily changed at a minuscule cost. I would suggest you to figure out which part is kaputt and then see if its available outside and use a competent independent garage to do the replacement.
Old 5th May 2013, 19:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

A bit off topic but i wanted to know how long will a repaired steering rack last.My civic's HPS was overhauled last year and it's touchwood not given me any problems since i just want to know whether it could give me more problems in the future.

Most Viewed