Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2009, 22:36   #1261
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmishra View Post
Thanks for prompt reply however I am not sure if you got my question right. Scratches are no longer prominent, shine is excellent after using silicone glaze however I do not want to use this compound yet again to get shine back, since it being an abrasive. My aim is to retain the gloss of the car. My understanding is wax would protect the shine over a period. Correct me if I am wrong.

BTW I am residing in Mumbai.
Its not abrasive- check meguiarsonline to know what are diff kind of polishes. THis is a pure polish- gets the shine back, if you see with regular washes its affect wears off, so its not the one which removes paint layer- i am v confident as used it regularly for my car. lots of confusion going around it..
What is meant by "Pure Polish"? - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online
Check this thread and more threads around silicone polish. Silicone glaze does not fill the swirls/scratches, as is very obvious from its usage. Polishes that are abrasive do that...its a pure polish with no cleaning ability( which means to remove some paint)

Last edited by mkh : 9th November 2009 at 22:40. Reason: incomplete
Old 9th November 2009, 23:16   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
The guy used his bare hands for more than 3 hours. After 3 hrs, he reduced 20 pounds and had a 16" bicep.

He told me point blank: Bhaiya, aaj ke baad aapka gaadi mein yeh wala polisss nahin lagaungaaa!
In Kerala the quote for waxing with Waxpol hardcake is Rs 500 for 1 car. Next time which should ideally be after three(if parked out in the open) months; offer him double the amount. Your cars paint will look as good as new for 9 years at the very least if waxed regularly.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 9th November 2009 at 23:20.
Old 10th November 2009, 00:17   #1263
BHPian

mkh if silicone glaze doesn't fill the swirls/scratches then it has to be a abrasive polish right??.
Old 10th November 2009, 00:33   #1264
BHPian

Waxpol at work!

This is my Octavia after being bathed in Waxpol for over a week!
Have a look guys.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-09112009022.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-09112009023.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-09112009024.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-09112009025.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-09112009032.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-09112009033.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-09112009035.jpg  

Old 10th November 2009, 09:49   #1265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
In Kerala the quote for waxing with Waxpol hardcake is Rs 500 for 1 car. Next time which should ideally be after three(if parked out in the open) months; offer him double the amount. Your cars paint will look as good as new for 9 years at the very least if waxed regularly.
Thanks for the advice dear. I'll keep in mind to get it waxed after 3 months.
Reg the money, I was just kidding..he will not ask for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
This is my Octavia after being bathed in Waxpol for over a week!
Have a look guys.
Maglev, your car looks great.
Old 10th November 2009, 12:36   #1266
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
mkh if silicone glaze doesn't fill the swirls/scratches then it has to be a abrasive polish right??.
abrasive polishes remove paint layer. They are cleaners, this is not a cleaner. If it were abrasive repeat applications would cause swirls scratches to get lighter as the paint is getting eroded...i have applied it dozens of times on the same scratch and nothing is seen as gone( light scratch). Check megs site for explanation on what is polish and what is abrasive cleaners etc..
If there is any abrasive effect, its only to clear old polish and mild oxidation- NO DAMAGE to paint at all happens...finally its a call one has to take on own, i am perfectly ok in applying to my car and have been doing for years with no effect to paint at all..it just gives a deep gloss on the surface..
Check this thread- Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle - Updated! - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online
Tells what is pure polish- refer STEP 3 Polish for more details

"Simply put, polishing is the creation of brilliant high gloss. A pure polish does not contain any abrasive component so it won't remove any defects, nor does it offer any protection so it is not a substitute for wax. While any paint color can benefit from an application of a pure polish, the difference is most noticeable on darker colors.

A cleaner/polish contains both cleaning agents as described in the previous step and polishing oils. These products will remove fine defects below the surface and perfectly prepare the surface for a wax application. You must apply a wax on top of a pure polish."

Last edited by bblost : 10th November 2009 at 13:27. Reason: font tags removed.
Old 10th November 2009, 13:25   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for prompt reply however I am not sure if you got my question right. Scratches are no longer prominent, shine is excellent after using silicone glaze however I do not want to use this compound yet again to get shine back, since it being an abrasive. My aim is to retain the gloss of the car. My understanding is wax would protect the shine over a period. Correct me if I am wrong.

BTW I am residing in Mumbai.
Oh I'm sorry, i read your question in a hurry, Anyway to maintain the shine, always wash your car with a wash mitt and shampoo, Never wipe your car with a dry cloth which will create swirls and the swirls can accumulate oxidation and impurities. Wax your car once or twice a month with an abrasive free wax. Try buying Meguiar's NXT 2.0 wax from the US.
Old 10th November 2009, 17:17   #1268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Oh I'm sorry, i read your question in a hurry, Anyway to maintain the shine, always wash your car with a wash mitt and shampoo, Never wipe your car with a dry cloth which will create swirls and the swirls can accumulate oxidation and impurities. Wax your car once or twice a month with an abrasive free wax. Try buying Meguiar's NXT 2.0 wax from the US.
I have heard a lot about this wax, do we get this in India or you are hinting of sourcing it from US?
Getting it from US will be a tough nut . Anyways whats your view on Waxpol or formula 1 wax (If I find original ones )
Old 10th November 2009, 18:26   #1269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Your cars paint will look as good as new for 9 years at the very least if waxed regularly.
So the paint does not fade at all when coated with this Waxpol stuff? Asking because the tin does not specifically mention anything about UV protection.
Old 10th November 2009, 21:37   #1270
BHPian

Quote:
I have heard a lot about this wax, do we get this in India or you are hinting of sourcing it from US?
Getting it from US will be a tough nut . Anyways whats your view on Waxpol or formula 1 wax (If I find original ones )
You do get Meguiar's tech wax in india which is priced at 1.7k, Waxpol can nowhere come close to the advanced waxes such as Turtle wax and meguiars with UV protectors et al (waxpol can provice shine though), I've used F1 wax and found it to be aggressive as it contains abrasives which created a lot of swirls on my car .

Try finding turtle wax hard shell or Abel auto's liquid wax here: Xenos
Old 10th November 2009, 23:15   #1271
BHPian

If my Junkindica does then so can any other car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
So the paint does not fade at all when coated with this Waxpol stuff? Asking because the tin does not specifically mention anything about UV protection.
My Junkindica is parked out in the open since we only have 2 garages and 3 cars. The only thing good about the car is the paint quality even after 9 years. A factor that could have contributed is that the paint booth for Mercedes and Indica were the same for a few months during modernization of the plant and my car comes from that batch. It has been abused by the sun and the rain but the paint is as good as when new mainly because of Waxpol. As mentioned before the Waxpol hard cake is the least advertised worst packaged but the best product in their portfolio with the highest concentration of Carnuba wax. The company would be least bothered about finding out the UV reflectance or any other scientific parameter. The product sells on its own merit. Have you ever seen any advert of this product any where? It must have a very strong reputation to have sustained sales for more than 30 years without a single advertisement. You just cannot go wrong with this cheap product which is endorsed by painters of yesteryear and now. Cannot recommend their costlier products though as they are not a patch on their cheapest product.
Old 11th November 2009, 00:38   #1272
Senior - BHPian

Hi everybody,

I have been using F1 & 3M since the past about 2 years now & have been satisfied with them.

But had a query pertaining to winters. I find that during winters, even if I have polished the car very well the previous day (like maybe 2-3 layers), then also due to the fog the effectiveness of the wax takes a beating in a big way. That water that accumulates on the body specially the bonnet & roof, takes away the wax effect in a maximum of two days & then makes it difficult to clean the car & I end up waxing it all over again.

Is there any way to protect the car from this fog during winters except for covering the car as I have no choice but to park the car outside the house in the open. Please help!!!!!

Thanks,
Prakhar
Old 11th November 2009, 00:42   #1273
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, that is reassuring. I feel any wax/protectant should be good at UV protection, in a place like India... else it is incomplete.

Don't you think their other products (esp. liquid polish) are similar in that they produce a similar shine? I guess where the Super Quality Polish excels is the durability. Would that be a right or wrong statement?
Old 11th November 2009, 00:56   #1274
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Turtle Wax Hard Shell does not mention anywhere on the pack (or its website) that it has UV protection.

Besides Turtle, 3M liquid is also good. But neither lasts much...
Old 11th November 2009, 01:41   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
That worked good. Spots are almost invisible.
Good to hear that. Glad that worked for you.

Quote:

I want my car to shine as it is now for long. So without hurting the car color much what can I do ? Have following options
1. Will it be a gud Idea to apply some wax to protect the polish ? I am not sure will the wax adhere to such a smooth surface.
2. Leave the car as it is for now and apply wax after a week or 2
3. Just leave the car alone till the newly obtained shine is fading and then wax to get the shine back . I suppose atleast 6 weeks the shine should remain.

Wax that I am considering is Waxpoll Carnuba wax.

PS : The only good thing about this episode is that I didnt do the same for my ANHC (6 months old as it still shines) . In future if I loose shine on ANHC will waxpoll carnuba enuff to bring back the shine?
Well as you already had a lot of swirls ( thin scratches due to improper washing ,wiping) , you had no option but to remove them. Coming to your question on wax. Yes , it is always better to protect the shine once you have got it by polishing , with a good quality WAX. American brands like Mothers and Meguiars have good stuff. If u can't get them , the one you have suggested from Waxpol is ideal. It has to be a pure carnuba wax based for best results. You also have waxes like Tech wax from meguiar which is synthetic wax , which also can be used. To further protect the paint you can use a Instant detailer over the wax ,which is just applied and wiped off in minutes like Meguiars instant detailer .

As for your ANHC , washing and cleaning the car in the proper way with regular waxing with carnuba or similar wax will keep it looking new and shiny in the long run. You can use a cleaner wax or liquid (which has very mild abrasive and ,or chemicals to clean the wax buildup and oxidation) once in 6 months or 1 year before you use regular wax, if you think the shine is reducing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks