Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 22:21   #1126
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
And you got the surface refining treatment on a brand new car? Did they use rubbing compound on the entire car?
No. For brand new car, their treatment is Paint Protection treatment
But yes, I got what you wanted to ask- Yes, they use rubbing compund on the entire car in Paint Protection treatment .
Old 11th September 2009, 23:17   #1127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
No. For brand new car, their treatment is Paint Protection treatment
But yes, I got what you wanted to ask- Yes, they use rubbing compund on the entire car in Paint Protection treatment .
I was shocked too, geeash shouldn't have let the detailing people use rubbing compound on his brand new car, In fact the paint protection itself wasn't necessary on a new car.
My car required rubbing compound job as it had many swirl marks on it and i promised my car that i will never use rubbing compound again.

@ all, Stay far, far away from rubbing compounds unless your car has minor scratches or several intolerable swirl marks
. Even the paint treatments/teflons aren't necessary if you wax your often with a high quality wax.
Old 11th September 2009, 23:19   #1128
Team-BHP Support

akshay_b, you posted a pic of your car after some 3M products. Where did you get this done? or did you have these products at home?

Some details please.
Old 12th September 2009, 08:07   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
I was shocked to know that 3M Paint Protection Treatment is done by applying Rubbing Compund all over the car & across on a brand new car . (I almost got it done, Good I stayed away finally). And this is from horse's mouth.
Nope mate!. you got it all wrong.

They dont use rubbing compond at all in paint protection. I have done it twice. they use 3M liquid wax and paste wax only. They first apply a generous coating of paste wax ( not available for retailers) and spread it in such a way that it forms a layer of 10 micron thickness over the car paint. and then they shine it using liquid wax and then again paste wax.

The waxing stays there for atleast 5 months and holds shine.

Only in surface refinement they do claying and use a rubbing compound and finesse 2 to take out the scratches and swirls.

The surface refinement is for cars more than 12 months old and the paint protection is a car detailing for cars less than 12 months old.

Last edited by drashkum : 12th September 2009 at 08:09.
Old 12th September 2009, 08:10   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
-> Why do you want this treatment anyway? Swirl marks? scratches? What color is your car? If you just want shine, I suggest you to buy a good quality wax and wax it once a month.
Hello akshay, my car is deep ocean blue color. I have parked my car in a place where dust settles way too quickly. Unfortunatly I could not find any other (better) place to park my car.

And there arent much visible swirl marks or not much noticable scratches on the car but it looks a little old for a 1 year old car.

Let me have a normal water wash to see the effect, based on which I would decide on having the surface treatment.

Thanks,
Old 12th September 2009, 13:09   #1131
srinivas9446

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
In my case too it is from an overhead tank and continous flow can be ensured. I asked only because the output is said to be very forceful and the pressure from tap (as you said) is only normal. By the way what do you mean by the tap having a positive height?
hi,

i mean that the tap should be at a height from the ground level. some houses may have th tap at lower level, which will make the water to put little effort to flow against the gravity.it may or may not cause a little delay in water flow.....but its better to have a positive height.

dont worry about the pressure form the tap...all you have to do is to ensure there is no air in the water pipe that you connect to the machine...the pump in equipment pushes the water with pressure to the pressure hose. The diameter of the hose is less, which makes the pressure to get magnified when it it finally delivered.

hope its clear.

Bye

Last edited by srinivas9446 : 12th September 2009 at 13:13.

Old 12th September 2009, 17:13   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
akshay_b, you posted a pic of your car after some 3M products. Where did you get this done? or did you have these products at home?

Some details please.
I got this treatment done at Trident Hyundai Sheshadripuram
Go through this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...lear-coat.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post

They dont use rubbing compond at all in paint protection. I have done it twice. they use 3M liquid wax and paste wax only. They first apply a generous coating of paste wax ( not available for retailers) and spread it in such a way that it forms a layer of 10 micron thickness over the car paint. and then they shine it using liquid wax and then again paste wax.

Only in surface refinement they do claying and use a rubbing compound and finesse 2 to take out the scratches and swirls.

The surface refinement is for cars more than 12 months old and the paint protection is a car detailing for cars less than 12 months old.
That's really great, How much do they charge you for this waxing procedure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Hello akshay, my car is deep ocean blue color. I have parked my car in a place where dust settles way too quickly. Unfortunately I could not find any other (better) place to park my car.

And there arent much visible swirl marks or not much noticable scratches on the car but it looks a little old for a 1 year old car.

Let me have a normal water wash to see the effect, based on which I would decide on having the surface treatment.

Thanks,
Before you get a surface refinement treatment, Wash your car with a nice car wash, Dry it completely and apply a nice quality wax such as abel auto(turtle wax),Formula 1 (genuine make) or 3M wax and decide, A blue car wouldn't show swirl marks that easily. Surface treatment doesn't effect the rate of dust accumulation. You can use a car cover to protect it from dust.
Use a tire shine to increase the overall look of your car.

Could some one suggest me a good/thick car wash shampoo which creates a rich, thick, soapy solution upon dilution? I've been using Sonax car wash(for frequent use) which is not thick and doesn't create a slippy and a soapy solution.

Last edited by akshay_b : 12th September 2009 at 17:17.
Old 12th September 2009, 17:17   #1133
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,
I need advice on my car. Please advice!
I have this Santro Xing XG, its almost 7 years old and done 74000 kms. Serving me well. Lately there have been some rattles in it and also some sweeks. I don't know what the problem with it is.
Kindly suggest me on the following:
  1. When should I go for a suspension overhaul?
  2. When should I get the timing belt changed?
  3. Anything which you think would improve it overall.
  4. What is the average life of Santro Xing in terms of kms.
I love this car and don't want to part with it till life is left!

PS: mods, I could not find a better section than this for this post. If inappropriate, kindly do the needful.

With high personal regards,
Abhi
Old 13th September 2009, 00:59   #1134
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post

Thats how its supposed to be. Rubbing compund must be used only in surface refinement to remove swirlmarks & scratches.

But the reality is opposite. TOday I was at another TASS. Again there was a 3M counter there. THey were working on a car. I went there saw their all materials. They have Rubbing compund bottle, 3M Perfect it, & 3M Paste wax. I asked details on Paint protection treatment on my brand new Linea. They said first they'll apply rubbing compound all over the car & polish it. Then they'll apply 3M perfect it. Thereafter, the Paste wax. So, I then asked what about old car - there is something called surface refinement treatment. They said they do this treatment in both brand new as well as old cars. I asked this is done for swirlmarkas removal as a cure not as prevention. So, they said there is not much difference in both treatments & they do the same treatment for old as well as new cars.

Good that your 3M guy did only paint protection. But still somewhere on the forum (may be sunilrj dedicated thread on this) I read that even Paint Protection treatment removes some (3 or 4?) microns of the paint
Old 18th September 2009, 13:50   #1135
BANNED

Quick update on the AbelAuto liquid wax, i had applied this wax some 6 weeks ago, I hadn't washed the car during that period, mostly due to the last of the rains here. I washed and dried the car on tuesday, with no waxing, result is still fantastic even after the battering from the weather, the car is parked without shelter, the shine is still as good as it was 6 weeks ago, will probably wash the car on Sunday and also midweek again, hopefuly will not need to wax the car again for another 6 weeks at this rate that one bottle should last me 2-3 years, seems pretty economical as well as highly effective to me!

Cheers,

Stefan
Old 18th September 2009, 15:39   #1136
BHPian

That's really great stefanm, I dont find the product great, I'm wondering if i got an expired product cos' the bottle that i bought was a demo piece and the labels are all scratched and the bottle looks old, The wax doesn't seem to come off easily, I've observed that the wax tend to stick to the surface even after rubbing which should be removed by applying more pressure.
Old 18th September 2009, 19:45   #1137
BANNED

It should come off easily after max 5mins drying time anylonger may cause this issue, if the label is missing maybe the instructions aren't legible?
Old 18th September 2009, 20:31   #1138
BHPian

I wipe it off when the wax is dry, after 2-3 mins it has always been difficult to remove regardless of the time that i wait for the wax to dry.
The instructions are legible, but the bottle looks old.
Old 19th September 2009, 16:13   #1139
BANNED

Very strange indeed! My bottle doesn't have a manufacture or expiry date, the liquid is a very light green colour, surely yours can't be a fake? I didn't have to do any significant rubbing, it literally wiped off and this in the hot humid Goa climate.

Last edited by stefanm : 19th September 2009 at 16:15.
Old 19th September 2009, 21:54   #1140
BHPian

@Stefan, Spotted a shiny Safari(same colour as yours) today on the road again. Thought i'd look out for you and holla. Turns out it was a brand new Safari headed for Tarcar's showroom.
Please let me know if spot the product in Goa.

Last edited by rohan_fonseca : 19th September 2009 at 21:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks