Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2019, 13:19   #10696
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to polishing, detailing etc. Both my vehicles (1 car and 1 bike) are black in colour. I wash my car once a week since it's parked outside and my bike once in a couple of months since it's
a. Parked indoors
b. Covered with a body cover and
c. Used approximately once in a week, maximum

Today, I took my bike to the garage to get a new battery installed, and chanced upon a polish. It's called "Moto Max protectant spray" and the shopkeeper said it's the best polish he has. The picture on the bottle is that of a dashboard, but he insisted that it can be applied anywhere. Therefore, before applying it on the car, I decided to try it out on my bike. So I followed these steps:
a. Got the bike power washed and shampooed at the garage
b. Came home and applied the polish myself using a microfiber cloth.
c. Wiped the entire bike with another microfiber cloth post all the polishing

Here are the results:

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20190513_120848266.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20190513_120857511.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20190513_120424310.jpg

4.5 years and ~9k kms old!

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20190513_120947500.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20190513_121452230.jpg

To my novice eyes the results look pretty good. Waiting for the experts to comment.
boniver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 20:21   #10697
Bee
BHPian

And I welcome myself to the car cleaning madness with this sweet deal I got for the jopasu duster and rejuvenator combs from Amazon @ ₹919
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20190519_202103.jpg  

Bee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 09:38   #10698
BHPian

Anyone tried the MrFix coating and tested its longevity & effectiveness?

BTW, none of the dusters(wax coated) are recommended to use on clear coat unless the car is having a sacrificial layer of wax or sealant or something similar, its known to create very fine swirls over a period of time

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 25th May 2019 at 09:41.
Old 25th May 2019, 09:47   #10699
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
It's called "Moto Max protectant spray" and the shopkeeper said it's the best polish he has. The picture on the bottle is that of a dashboard, but he insisted that it can be applied anywhere.
Looks like a dashboard cleaner to my eyes. But never apply it on dashboard as it creates a shiny surface which gets reflected on the front windscreen on sunny days. I had to fight with it for some months previously. But you can use it to clean the door pads and other plastic stuffs in the cabin.

If it is polish, do understand polish is abrasive in nature. That means it works by removing a smaller layer of clear coat so as to make a scratch less visible by reducing the light reflected from very tiny scratches. You should not be using polish very often, instead use a better wax to keep the paint protected.

Note : I am not an expert, but these are my understandings.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 10:48   #10700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post

To my novice eyes the results look pretty good. Waiting for the experts to comment.
An advantage of this product you are using over normal wax and polishes is that it gives the black plastic bits a refresh, makes the vehicle looks newer. It must be a silicone based dressing.

Also motomax sells a sponge for 20 INR that is pre soaked with the dressing, great for smaller surfaces , dashboard, plastics , weather strips etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
And I welcome myself to the car cleaning madness with this sweet deal I got for the jopasu duster and rejuvenator combs from Amazon @ ₹919
Please be careful with this stuff, its best suited to use on glass , my friends have stopped using it because of the scratches it's causing on paint, maybe it's picking up sand from the surface and turning itself into a sand paper . I have never used it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Anyone tried the MrFix coating and tested its longevity & effectiveness?

BTW, none of the dusters(wax coated) are recommended to use on clear coat unless the car is having a sacrificial layer of wax or sealant or something similar, its known to create very fine swirls over a period of time
Appears to be a ceramic sealant type, i recommend getting this done at places like 3M, the surface preparation is really tedious. It cannot be removed easily like normal wax so application needs to be perfect, it's certainly possible as a DIY, just that it takes a lot of work and equipment to prep the surface.

Last edited by Kosfactor : 25th May 2019 at 10:51.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 12:09   #10701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Please be careful with this stuff, its best suited to use on glass , my friends have stopped using it because of the scratches it's causing on paint, maybe it's picking up sand from the surface and turning itself into a sand paper . I have never used it
On the contrary, IMHO, Jopasu is better on car body rather than windshield. It leaves a little wax on the glass surface which may cause glares at night. On body, it does its job well. Just make sure to apply a light hand while dusting. I am currently on my second duster and am pretty happy with it.

Got the rejuvenator too but yet to master the courage to clean the old one.
DaptChatterjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 14:09   #10702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
On the contrary, IMHO, Jopasu is better on car body rather than windshield. It leaves a little wax on the glass surface which may cause glares at night. On body, it does its job well. Just make sure to apply a light hand while dusting. I am currently on my second duster and am pretty happy with it.

Agree. Been using it on my Octavia for the last two years. The trick is not to press the duster down on the surface. Need to glide it. Also after every panel/area wipe, need to shake the duster vigorously once or twice before moving to the next area.

Have got the rejuvenator as well. Done twice. Need to wash the duster completely in lukewarm water after removing from the handle. Dry completely and then spray the wax. After letting the wax to dry overnight, spray again the next morning. Repeat in the evening. Duster ready for use after 24 hrs. Use only after the wax has dried. Else will leave wax streaks on the windshield.

Last edited by Karvel : 25th May 2019 at 14:10.
Karvel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 14:20   #10703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post

Yes, I have a rejuvenator bottle too, but never mustered the courage to wash my old duster. I kept the duster in my car park long enough for someone to mistake it for an old rag and throw it away. So now I have a bottle full of rejuvenator and no duster
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 16:57   #10704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Yes, I have a rejuvenator bottle too, but never mustered the courage to wash my old duster.
It doesn't take much courage, but it is a pain in the neck even to wash all the dirt out. I too have a bottle of rejuvinator, but have decided just to buy a new duster.
Quote:
I kept the duster in my car park long enough for someone to mistake it for an old rag and throw it away.

I now have two that look that bad. If I try to throw them away our made will probably hold them back and hoard them.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 21:04   #10705
BHPian

Just 2 hours of washing and waxing the car. Still as good as new since 2016. Thanks to the previous owner who maintained the car paint in such impeccable condition.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20190602_085540.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20190602_085510.jpg
nikhn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 02:24   #10706
Senior - BHPian

OCD Problems ft. the Ferrari 458 Spider
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-imageuploadedbyteambhp1562273655.756245.jpg
cityvic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 11:15   #10707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
OCD Problems ft. the Ferrari 458 Spider
Attachment 1890183
This is just the teaser!!
Where are the pictures of the red satan?
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 17:30   #10708
BHPian

I have been having these dark brown (almost black) spots that I find on my car ever so often. This appears even when not parked in the open (only covered parking / basement parking) the day after it is thoroughly dusted and cleaned with water less wash. It does go away with cleaning, but it is a pain to have it cleaned every day for such. There are no birds or cats that hang around the car. What could it this be? I heard someone say that it could be bat droppings, but I have not seen any bat in the vicinity either.

Has anyone else faced similar issues?
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-spots-roof.jpg  

swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 19:50   #10709
BHPian

Hi.
Can anyone suggest a good wash and wax car shampoo ? I have been using Meguires wash and wax and have really liked the wax coating properties along with good cleaning power. However, it is too expensive if i buy it from India.
Any inputs will be highly appreciated. Thanks !
Old 13th July 2019, 20:23   #10710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
Just 2 hours of washing and waxing the car. Still as good as new since 2016.
Excellent finish.
Pls provide details for washing and waxing components used ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks