Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2019, 14:14   #10591
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I have been offered cquartz as the ceramic coat. My issue is, will this "chemical" affect the helmet shell?

I was looking at collinite 845. What polish do you recommend to prep the helmet of extremely minor scuffs before i use collinite?

Will this polish out scuff the helmet shield as well before i apply the wax on it?
For the visor, I would recommend Meguiar PlastX for removing light scratches.
A coating or wax will in no way harm the helmet shell.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 17:40   #10592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
Cquartz won't affect the helmet in any way. It's one of the best Ceramic Coating's in the world. So you won't go wrong.

A polish or rather compound I can recommend is the 3M Finesse It One Step compounding. This is only specific to your needs of polishing out the scuffs.
Just been reading about the 3M finesse. Is this a very extreme compound? I am worried about using this and dismantling the clear coat existent on the helmet. If this can indeed be applied, is it easy on and off?

I have been reading online about a product called Honda polish which many people abroad tend to use and seems like a very easy product to use to just polish off the lid.
Old 6th January 2019, 19:56   #10593
Distinguished - BHPian

Follow on. I actually would prefer some product which is a polish and wax in one unit, and is safe on the helmet and is easy peasy to use.

I found muc off speed polish which is based on carnauba and beeswax, but no mention anywhere about it being clear coat safe. Also something similar is muc off miracle shine.

Any products from car world i could use? Hopefully as a polish and wax, it will go on my visors, windshields etc after washing so as to keep them easier to clean next time around.

I am not able to get down to buying a polish, and then a wax, and then figure out using them uggh. And all these are frightfully expensive!

Last edited by Red Liner : 6th January 2019 at 20:11.
Old 6th January 2019, 20:40   #10594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not able to get down to buying a polish, and then a wax, and then figure out using them uggh.
They just... do different things!

Think of polish like a finer sandpaper. It removes scratches and imperfections by removing that much depth of surface.

Think of wax like a good varnish.

First you mend your surface, then you make it shine.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 20:48   #10595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They just... do different things!

Think of polish like a finer sandpaper. It removes scratches and imperfections by removing that much depth of surface.

Think of wax like a good varnish.

First you mend your surface, then you make it shine.
Hmm. So will polish remove the clear coat then? I just read about meguiars clear coat safe ultimate polish. Will that work?

The muc off product mentioned above is a combination product, so i figured maybe easier to use and since ita based on pure carnauba wax, it will be what my helmet manufacturer recommends as well.

Edit: Okay, i think the collinite is worth a buy and will go on after the polish. Now i am just looking for a safe to use polish to go on a helmet shell that doesn't destroy the clear coat.

Last edited by Red Liner : 6th January 2019 at 21:03.
Old 7th January 2019, 02:08   #10596
Distinguished - BHPian

Polish, like sandpaper, comes in different grades. Actually, I suppose the fiercer grades are called rubbing compound.

So, do not think in terms of polish (or even rubbing compound!) removing whole layers of paint (unless one is a novice using a polishing machine ): they may remove an infinitesimal amount. Match the substance to what you are trying to correct!

I am more used to filing, sanding and polishing (and burnishing!) metals (in the past) than I am to polishing paintwork (you would agree if you see my car). The principles are the same although the materials differ.

I made a humble effort to explain the principles: I'll let others talk about appropriate materials here.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 14:13   #10597
BHPian

Dear Friends,

Logo of my car and its name, written in chrome is turning black at places. Any idea why it is happening and how to rectify this issue.

Any guidance from any of you will be really appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Vikas
Old 7th January 2019, 17:53   #10598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
Dear Friends,

Logo of my car and its name, written in chrome is turning black at places. Any idea why it is happening and how to rectify this issue.

Any guidance from any of you will be really appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Vikas
It seems that the logo was made out of black plastic and then painted in chrome color, which is getting chipped / faded.

If you would like a weekend's worth of DIY session - you can take out the chrome lettering (refer to this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...your-ride.html (DIY : Debadging your ride)) , sand them lightly, buy a chrome spray paint bottle & paint them yourself, and re-affix them with rubber based adhesive.

Or you can drive to a ASS and simply buy a new set of lettering & ask them to affix it for you.
Old 8th January 2019, 17:38   #10599
BHPian

Hello,
Pure carnauba waxes come at a price.
Collinite being one of the best. There is also Butter Wet Wax by Chemical Guys.

Any polish would contain some quantity of grit, ranging from coarse to micro fine depending on what grade you are buying and while it may be beneficial to a painted surface, it wouldn't help on the visor.

Once you use polish, no matter what grade, you will create swirls and make it much worse to see through. This will worsen as you frequently use polish on it.

The best option would be to remove the visor and shampoo it with Sonax insta gloss shampoo which is one of the better shampoos available in India and then wipe it dry with a microfiber cloth.

A spray on wipe off glass cleaner, preferably Sonax (again) would do the job. You could also go in for a dual purpose spray on wipe off sealant cum wax from one of the reputed manufacturers.

If not, you could dry the visor, apply a thin layer of carnauba, dry it till hazy and wipe off with a microfiber and you are done till the next cleaning.

Ceramic coating a visor would not be much of a help as no coating in the world is scratch proof and if, after spending 3000 bucks on ceramic coating, you are still going to get scratches, some on the coat and some penetrating the coat, then it wouldn't make much sense, would it?

I would say, keep it simple. Shampoo and glass cleaner/sealant cum wax should do the job pretty decently.

If the helmet is not very expensive, changing the visor makes more sense.

My tubbits, ride safe

Quote:
Wrong thread i know, but i have a helmet that i would like to have waxed myself.

This optimum car wax seems easy to apply and maintain. Looks like it does protect the paint as well since it has paint sealant on top.

However, most helmet manufacturers have asked to avoid any kind of chemicals on the helmet. They only recommend all natural carnauba wax for both the shell and the visor.

Where and what brand do i get?
Is optimum a natural wax?
Will the wax get rid of very light scuffs or scratches?
Will a ceramic coat work on a helmet? Will cost me about 2k, is it worth the trouble?
epicenter.rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 16:32   #10600
Senior - BHPian

If you want a polish and wax combo then Autoglym Super Resin Polish is good. For the Visor I wouldn't advise any polish or abrasive. Clean with a glass cleaner or diluted isopropyl alcohol and then apply a wipe on walk away (WOWA) sealant like Opti Seal which don't require buffing post application. I use this on my visor and whole helmet
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 12:02   #10601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicenter.rulez View Post
Hello,
Pure carnauba waxes come at a price.
Thank you. So I had a bottle of shampoo+wax in one lying at home, and I rubbed a few dollops of it over the helmet and almost all of the surface irritants were gone!

I will do another round of deep cleaning this Saturday at home.

Have ordered the Collinite and awaiting delivery. Will clean the helmet once more before dropping the wax on it and the shield.

Can I use a regular clean MF cloth to apply the wax, and another one to buff it out? One kiss per section ought to do it since the surface area is extremely small on a helmet. How long do I wait before buffing? 60 secs?
Old 16th January 2019, 12:09   #10602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
If you want a polish and wax combo then Autoglym Super Resin Polish is good. For the Visor I wouldn't advise any polish or abrasive. Clean with a glass cleaner or diluted isopropyl alcohol and then apply a wipe on walk away (WOWA) sealant like Opti Seal which don't require buffing post application. I use this on my visor and whole helmet
Where do you get this and how much does this cost?

Almost all the top of the line helmet manufacturers ask to avoid any and all kind of chemical applications on the visor shield or the helmet itself. This is a bummer and keeps me away from these things. The *only* thing they suggest is pure carnauba wax and nothing else.
Old 16th January 2019, 12:15   #10603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. So I had a bottle of shampoo+wax in one lying at home, and I rubbed a few dollops of it over the helmet and almost all of the surface irritants were gone!

I will do another round of deep cleaning this Saturday at home.

Have ordered the Collinite and awaiting delivery. Will clean the helmet once more before dropping the wax on it and the shield.

Can I use a regular clean MF cloth to apply the wax, and another one to buff it out? One kiss per section ought to do it since the surface area is extremely small on a helmet. How long do I wait before buffing? 60 secs?
Note of caution. Some waxes will cause the light to scatter when applied on the visor. So, if you see any degradation in the visibility of the visor when faced with a headlamp of the oncoming traffic, take some Iso Propyl Alcohol to wipe the wax off the visor.

10 mins is a good time to wait if you are in a dry and warm environment. Apply thin. Just one small drop is sufficient for visor since the area is very small. Wipe off with a different microfiber
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 15:37   #10604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where do you get this and how much does this cost?

Almost all the top of the line helmet manufacturers ask to avoid any and all kind of chemical applications on the visor shield or the helmet itself. This is a bummer and keeps me away from these things. The *only* thing they suggest is pure carnauba wax and nothing else.
Which one ? Autoglym has a dealer in Mumbai. Opti Seal is available on Amazon and bringing best
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 16:04   #10605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Note of caution. Some waxes will cause the light to scatter when applied on the visor. So, if you see any degradation in the visibility of the visor when faced with a headlamp of the oncoming traffic, take some Iso Propyl Alcohol to wipe the wax off the visor.

10 mins is a good time to wait if you are in a dry and warm environment. Apply thin. Just one small drop is sufficient for visor since the area is very small. Wipe off with a different microfiber
Thanks for this. Arai says pure Carnauba is good to go on the visor, so I hope it works as intended.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks