Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2018, 15:53   #10426
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Do note, polishes are milder than compounds.

C845 is a pure Carnauba wax with no polishing compounds. Try Meguiar's Ultimate Polish which you can buy at several online stores. I'd prefer this combo over Megs 6207 which is a wax + polish product.
Thank you. I visited 3M yesterday and they are happy to do the detailing part for a discounted price. I believe they use Meg's products for compound, polish and wax. But I want a stronger sealant over their last coat. Is it a good idea to put a layer of C845 over the 3M treatment?
Old 27th March 2018, 18:23   #10427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Thank you. I visited 3M yesterday and they are happy to do the detailing part for a discounted price. I believe they use Meg's products for compound, polish and wax. But I want a stronger sealant over their last coat. Is it a good idea to put a layer of C845 over the 3M treatment?
Now that you got your car detailed give the wax and other ingredients time to bed into the paint. You should not wash the car for a minimum of 48 hours.

The 3M centre may have already applied a sealant and wax combination the 3M Perfect-It Show Car Paste Wax which lasts for several weeks from my own experience provided you do not have a watchman or other domestic help wash the car in their normal grimy water + rag style. That 3M product is really good. Now that you've spent money on the detailing you can think of using C845 after maybe a month or two.

For sealant I'd recommend Meguiar's Ultimate or NXT paste waxes. They are excellent. Once done wait for 24 hours and apply a coat of C845.

Also, just so you know 3M centres in India use mainly 3M professional products. Meguair's products are considered a "retail customer" range and gets step motherly treatment from 3M. Meguair's pro level products are rare to find and generally not used as they are more expensive than their counterparts in the 3M range. Which IMHO is a real pity.

Last edited by R2D2 : 27th March 2018 at 18:29.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 19:15   #10428
BHPian

Thanks, again. I have not done the 3M treatment, but planning to get it done in absence of a good detailer in my region. I got the 3M paint protection program done last year as well but their wax/ sealant is not very durable, at least in my city's conditions.

So in summary, 3M treatment followed by a coat of Collinite after a week or two should be good for a few months. Then I can repeat the Collinite treatment until it needs correction again.
Old 27th March 2018, 20:48   #10429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, again. I have not done the 3M treatment, but planning to get it done in absence of a good detailer in my region. I got the 3M paint protection program done last year as well but their wax/ sealant is not very durable, at least in my city's conditions.
No wax will last for longer than a few weeks in Indian conditions especially with the car owners' habit of getting their cars washed by domestic help.

If you really want that shine and wax to last long? Wash the car yourself every 10-15 days (be eco-friendly) with 2 buckets full of water. No pain, no gain. Use a waterless rinse wash like Optimum, Ultima. There are several others but these are the most common with TBHPians. Pro Klear is an Indian alternative.

I don't mind if my cars get dusty and they do, sometimes for several weeks. Alternative is to take the car to a good car wash centre and monitor the bloke washing the vehicle. Make sure only clean microfibre cloths are used.

Quote:
So in summary, 3M treatment followed by a coat of Collinite after a week or two should be good for a few months. Then I can repeat the Collinite treatment until it needs correction again.
Yes but before the C845 use a nice coat of a good sealant. And remember, apply either sealant or wax in very thin layer. More is not better. Lots of tips in this thread.

Last edited by R2D2 : 27th March 2018 at 20:49.
Old 27th March 2018, 21:20   #10430
BHPian

Quote:
No wax will last for longer than a few weeks in Indian conditions especially with the car owners' habit of getting their cars washed by domestic help.
Absolute hardcore truth. The moment you let your domestic help, watchman, regular car wash guys do this for you, you can kiss flawless paint goodbye & invite swirl marks with open arms.

Quote:
If you really want that shine and wax to last long? Wash the car yourself every 10-15 days (be eco-friendly) with 2 buckets full of water. No pain, no gain.

I don't mind if my cars get dusty and they do, sometimes for several weeks.
Leaving car to be dusty has a disadvantage. Street Picasso's doing their doodles on glasses & bonnet.

One guy asked me to move away from "my" car & ran his finger the entire freaking length of my car (from headlight to tail lamp across the doors) with a gleeful smile of achieving his ambition of making his mark on a dirty car. I stood mute witness to this OCD action wondering if I was dreaming or if it was indeed reality.

One guy literally laid on top of my bonnet while I was sitting in driver's seat & fiddling with my mobile. He laid & ran his fingers like a cat digging it's nails on rug.

I'm not exaggerating. Admins please don't move this to joke section.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 21:47   #10431
BHPian

Quote:
...with the car owners' habit of getting their cars washed by domestic help.

If you really want that shine and wax to last long? Wash the car yourself every 10-15 days (be eco-friendly) with 2 buckets full of water. No pain, no gain. Use a waterless rinse wash like Optimum, Ultima.

Yes but before the C845 use a nice coat of a good sealant. And remember, apply either sealant or wax in very thin layer. More is not better. Lots of tips in this thread.
Understood regarding the first part. I maintain my car myself. I use Jopasu on regular basis and a Proklear waterless solution once a week or so. Pressure water wash only after a long trip or if it too dirty for waterless.

Regarding the second part, 3M uses a sealant in their paint protection program (I believe). So C845 over that will act as a guard, I think. Hope I'm making sense now.
Old 27th March 2018, 23:13   #10432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the second part, 3M uses a sealant in their paint protection program (I believe). So C845 over that will act as a guard, I think. Hope I'm making sense now.
Yes, C845 will be effective as a protective layer regardless of whether the paint has a sealant coat or not. Sealant + C845 would be a very good combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Leaving car to be dusty has a disadvantage. Street Picasso's doing their doodles on glasses & bonnet.

One guy asked me to move away from "my" car & ran his finger the entire freaking length of my car (from headlight to tail lamp across the doors) with a gleeful smile of achieving his ambition of making his mark on a dirty car. I stood mute witness to this OCD action wondering if I was dreaming or if it was indeed reality.

One guy literally laid on top of my bonnet while I was sitting in driver's seat & fiddling with my mobile. He laid & ran his fingers like a cat digging it's nails on rug.

I'm not exaggerating. Admins please don't move this to joke section.
I've experienced the impromptu Picassos on my car but the street artists realise their paws or fingers get dirty and stay away. These doodles leave scratches in the clear coat but nothing a bit of TLC with a good wash followed by a coat of wax cant tackle. But yeah, a few of those artistic gems by the housing colony kids did leave permanent scratches in the CC thankfully not the paint. The worst was one of these blasted electricians leaving his tool bag on my car's boot lid. I went ballistic after I realised there were scratches and gave him a nice piece of my mind and asked him how he'd feel if I were to leave a roll of barbed wire on his new bike's fuel tank!

I don't blame the kids as much as these adult morons. Thankfully the scratches (some nearly through the CC) were dealt with in the 3M detailing session Pics here

The good thing is dusty cars don't attract too much attention while the gleaming ones do. I am more careful with the car when she's gleaming.
Old 6th April 2018, 17:35   #10433
BHPian

Hello All,

I got the below quotes from 3M (Seawoods, Nerul). The quotes are for Large Car & Small Car.

I wish to cross verify the rates provided by the outlet from the experts here
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-large-car.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-small-car.jpg
catchdoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 20:32   #10434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchdoon View Post
I got the below quotes from 3M (Seawoods, Nerul). The quotes are for Large Car & Small Car.
Also, I'd like to know if the Anti Rust coating shall be done with 2yrs warranty or 5yrs warranty? As per 3M they use different material for both 2yrs W & 5 yrs W. Can anyone comment on this?

Since the price is just double, I feel that getting the Anti Rust twice in 4 years makes a sweet deal than just getting the touch ups (that too if needed) every 6 months for 5 years. But these Bi-annual checkups will be also there in the 2 years warranty provided.

It seems a tad bit confusing. expert views would most definitely help.

Last edited by ampere : 9th April 2018 at 21:28. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 9th April 2018, 23:05   #10435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchdoon View Post
Also, I'd like to know if the Anti Rust coating shall be done with 2yrs warranty or 5yrs warranty?.
Not quite the answer you were looking for but I was considering the 3M for my TUV. On my recent trip to the US, saw this in autozone couldn't resist picking up four cans. I intend trying a DIY. These cost me 9$ each can and I believe 2 should suffice per car.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1523295196833.jpg  

Old 10th April 2018, 11:51   #10436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Not quite the answer you were looking for but I was considering the 3M for my TUV. On my recent trip to the US, saw this in autozone couldn't resist picking up four cans. I intend trying a DIY. These cost me 9$ each can and I believe 2 should suffice per car.
Hey Diyguy,

Let me know how your DIY deed fares.
Pl post the pics.

However, If you can shed light on my queries, I'd be more than glad.
Old 20th April 2018, 20:02   #10437
Senior - BHPian

Experts,

I know the question has been asked a no of times and I remember reading some of the responses. But confused, hence the question.

Now that summer is here, water is a precious commodity and our society has strictly issued need only basis usage of water for washing and that too borewell water. Hence wanted advice on what Waterless wash solution from the below should I pick up?
1) Ultima Waterless Wash Concentrate
2) Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine
3) Optimum ONRWW8 No Rinse Wash & Wax
4) Proklear Waterless Raw Xtreme Cx
5) PROKLEAR RAW Rinseless / Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate
6) CarPro ECH2o Waterless

Thanks in advance.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 00:29   #10438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Experts,

I know the question has been asked a no of times and I remember reading some of the responses. But confused, hence the question.

Now that summer is here, water is a precious commodity and our society has strictly issued need only basis usage of water for washing and that too borewell water. Hence wanted advice on what Waterless wash solution from the below should I pick up?
3) Optimum ONRWW8 No Rinse Wash & Wax
4) Proklear Waterless Raw Xtreme Cx
5) PROKLEAR RAW Rinseless / Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate
6) CarPro ECH2o Waterless

Thanks in advance.

My vote goes to Ultima!
nova9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 00:35   #10439
BHPian

I am using Optimum No-Rinse Wash & Wax for 2 years and I am liking it. Also many reviews points out this is one of the great wash and wax products.

I normally use it as a quick detailer. Which means diluting it with water and spraying and wiping to remove light dusts. The product contains Carnuba wax so it provides some protection. However, you need to use proper wax as per your normal schedule. Like once is every two months.

I have previously used Meguiar's quick detailer for removing dusts everyday. While it is a great product but that turned out to be very expensive. If I remember correctly, it used to costs around 500 bucks. However, this is a concentrated product, so you can use it in diluted state. So a big bottle will come a long way.

You can also use this product with two bucket method for washing the car.

Do not go for wash only products for quick detailing. Go for wash and wax, the built in wax will provide some form of protection to the paint. Wash only products strip the wax from the paint which will make the paint devoid of any protection.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 09:21   #10440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Get either Ultima or Optimum. You cannot go wrong with them. I use ONR and will buy either Ultima or ONR after my current stock of ONR and ONRW&S is exhausted.

Pro-Klear, which is very reasonably priced being made in India, leaves streaks on the paint and IMO aren't as good as the first 2.

If using borewell water make sure you dry the car thoroughly. Some minerals in the water can leave hard to remove streaks on the paint if left to dry.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks