Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2009, 12:15   #931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
tried amway silicone glaze - results are good, but not much better than solid wax. and putting it on a white car takes a lot of guesswork - its impossible to make out
yes same problem here as difficult to find out if it is applied or not as being white in color. But it take less of physical effort and time than solid wax
Old 13th July 2009, 12:35   #932
Senior - BHPian

Disclaimer : I am, at this stage, only a bookish person on car detailing and acquiring knowledge through this thread and some good reading material. I am yet to ( but very close to ) applying my knowledge on my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
2. I have noticed that my car's paint still has swirl marks? Althouhg my car has a great shining paint after F21 treatment and it also has the wet look, from certain angles I can make out swirl marks. What's the best way to get rid of swirl marks?

surface treatment is important before polishing. this ensures the surface is free from invisible chemicals (like rain deposits,bird dropping chemicals, tree sap etc ). to remove this invisible layer, you need to do claying. after that polishing should help in removing swirl marks. so its quite possible you polished OVER this layer and hence swirl marks are not removed.

Some scratches are deep but even minor scratches and swirl marks are visible after applying the rubbing compound. I did tried on a corner of the bonnet first before applying on the whole bonnet. But I was not too sure how to ensure best results and was a little scared about ending up damaging the paint. However in the end it turned out that the rubbing compound also has mild abrasives. What scared me was that it was leaving whitish marks on the paint. Any best practices while using rubbing compound?

again quite possible that surface is not yet prepared for the actual benefit of rubbing compund to take effect. the whitish marks could be the primer layer coming off ( which is fine because u need to take that off to "round off" minor scratches. ). but from what i read, these white marks should disappear after you wash it off well with mild soap. did you try that ?

later this week, (hopefully ) i intend to try my hand at this (after i finish reading one more detailing document downloaded from this very thread ). lets see how the DIY goes ! im on a strict budget more so because i do not want to invest on too expensive waxes when I dont even know how best to use them..so its going to start possibly with some budget brands like waxpol

Last edited by narayan : 13th July 2009 at 12:36.
Old 13th July 2009, 13:13   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Disclaimer : I am, at this stage, only a bookish person on car detailing and acquiring knowledge through this thread and some good reading material. I am yet to ( but very close to ) applying my knowledge on my car
Most of us are learning. Every experience is personal because different cars may be using different grade materials. I would be greatly interested in reading the material as well. I had found a Car Detailing 101 on the net but didn't purchase it as that company is also in detailing products and I thought their 101 will end up suggesting only their material.

Quote:
surface treatment is important before polishing. this ensures the surface is free from invisible chemicals (like rain deposits,bird dropping chemicals, tree sap etc ). to remove this invisible layer, you need to do claying. after that polishing should help in removing swirl marks. so its quite possible you polished OVER this layer and hence swirl marks are not removed.
F21 Car Polish is not a typical polish. No after wax is required actually. Will not a good car shampoo get rid of the car's surface of the invisible chemicals you listed above?

It would be great if you can share what is claying and how you can it be done?

Quote:
again quite possible that surface is not yet prepared for the actual benefit of rubbing compund to take effect. the whitish marks could be the primer layer coming off ( which is fine because u need to take that off to "round off" minor scratches. ). but from what i read, these white marks should disappear after you wash it off well with mild soap. did you try that ?
I used the car shampoo to wash off the white marks and it did go away. But it's appearance was enough to scare me. Moreover I didn't rub extensively as I as worried if it may result in paint just going off. I am not sure what's the best way of applying rubbing compound. And is the primer layer coming off an issue? I had applied the rubbing compound on the whole bonnet.

Quote:
later this week, (hopefully ) i intend to try my hand at this (after i finish reading one more detailing document downloaded from this very thread ). lets see how the DIY goes ! im on a strict budget more so because i do not want to invest on too expensive waxes when I dont even know how best to use them..so its going to start possibly with some budget brands like waxpol
I too started with waxpol and their products are really good. Please do share your experience and the waxpol products that you end up using.
Old 14th July 2009, 07:38   #934
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I drove through an overturned tanker full of maybe some black substance (crude oil?). Now short of applying diesel, its just not going away.

I wanna know what else care I need to do besides washing it with diesel as an esteemed senior gent has advised me.

What after care do I need to do on the car? More wax? Some claying etc? Please to guide!!!
Old 14th July 2009, 09:41   #935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Folks,

I am looking for Car detailing Clay in Bangalore. If anyone of you know a good brand, price and the shop where you can get the same please do pass on the information.

Thanks,
Dieselfan
I didn't get any response on this query of mine. Just wanted to know if anyone on this forum has used Detailing clay. If so is it available for purchase anywhere in Bangalore or Online. Would really appreciate a positive response.
Old 14th July 2009, 10:46   #936
BHPian

Rain X Invisible Windshield Wiper

I had bought this product sometime back in Walmart. It really works like a charm and keeps the windshield nice and clean during rains. I don't know if this is available in India, but would definitely recommend to fellow bhpians in this rainy season.
Old 14th July 2009, 12:56   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't get any response on this query of mine. Just wanted to know if anyone on this forum has used Detailing clay. If so is it available for purchase anywhere in Bangalore or Online. Would really appreciate a positive response.
DF - dont know specifically where but the shops that stock other detailing products like polish, wax, cloth etc carry clay also

have you used this product before ?
Old 14th July 2009, 13:12   #938
BHPian

Hi,
my car has number of black oil paint spots all over the body and on glass . tried to remove by washing it with diesel and then with amway. spots on glass are gone but on the paint body there are many . any solution to this how to remove it.

sleek silver i10.

cheers
Old 14th July 2009, 13:32   #939
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been looking for this too. Have not been able to source this in BLR.

Would appreciate any inputs on this.

Thanks,
gpa
Old 14th July 2009, 13:51   #940
Senior - BHPian

@ gpa
try Meguiar's India

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Someone did recommend that on the forum, just that i didnt get around to using it. Do keep me informed on how it holds up. Also, i hope it doesnt get onto one's fingers on touching.

Also, did you use a brush for applying, or cloth?

I used a slightly damp cloth, with a little RIN washing soap rubbed on, to clean the art leather seats on my car. It worked well, in getting rid of the dirt. I have done this only once so far, so not sure about the long term effects of the same.
Havent tried the polish yet on the door handles ( for obvious reasons) will post how it holds after a week or so. used a brush to apply and polish, and cloth to finish it ( cant have any extra remaining to stain peoples clothes can we!)

I use liquid baby soap/hand wash soap to wash art leather. the soap shouldnt be too harsh. I dont think RIN fits the bill

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th July 2009 at 16:34. Reason: Merged on request.
Old 16th July 2009, 12:44   #941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
DF - dont know specifically where but the shops that stock other detailing products like polish, wax, cloth etc carry clay also

have you used this product before ?
No I have not used detailing clay before but I need to use it desperately to remove lot of tar and other dirt inclusions in the car body on top of the paint.

I am not sure that the shops with Detailing products stock clay as the sales of clay is very limited. I tried out in many shops in Bangalore on JC road, Jayanagar and BTM layout and was not successful in procuring one.
Old 16th July 2009, 12:59   #942
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
@ gpa
try Meguiar's India
greenhorn,

Thanks for the link. Will call and check with them.

DF, i think the link should help us both. Do check it out.

Cheers,
gpa

Last edited by gpa : 16th July 2009 at 13:01.
Old 16th July 2009, 13:38   #943
BHPian

Finding detailing clay is gonna be very difficult. Maybe you should check with the Meguirs contact. Even the detailing guys dont use clay here anymore.
Old 16th July 2009, 14:07   #944
Senior - BHPian

Do we have to apply the wax polish in totally dust free conditions? My car is parked open to sky inside our apartment block, separated from the main road just by the perimeter wall. The road itself was dug open for laying drainage pipes and the pits have been simply filled in. Hard topping is yet to be relaid. Plenty of vehicles plying on the road results in tons of dust being deposited on the cars parked inside. I always keep the car covered.

For this reason I hesitate to buy a wax polish. Does it also come in liquid form? Presently using only a synthetic chamois purchased from the Shell bunk (Rs 285.00). Easy to use and very effective.

They also offered me a new type of cloth. The brand is "Wurst" I think, and it can be used to wipe even the dry dust from the body and windshield. Guaranteed not to leave a single scratch. The price is Rs 1285.00 per piece and since they did not have a demo piece, I did not buy it. Any BHPians using this product? That it can be used in a dry state is very tempting for me.

Last edited by Gansan : 16th July 2009 at 14:25.
Old 16th July 2009, 14:25   #945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
They also offered me a new type of cloth. The brand is "wurst" I think, and it can be used to wipe even the dry dust from the body and windshield.
wurst or weurth???
if it's wurst - then as the name suggests - keep away. I mean who would name their product as 'wurst'. It reminds me of the Gaylords of meet the fokkers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks