Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2015, 16:47   #9286
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
rav11stars
I too have same concerns as you. But here is what I did to my motorcycle to get it cleared of paint blemishes.

1. Wash / wet the car with thick shampoo.
2. Use soft sponge or old cotton cloth to remove all surface dirt.
3. Rinse the car.
4. When the water drops have run off and the surface is still moist, use rubbing compound on the surfaces where bird droppings are stuck. Rub gently. It will take time, but will do the job.
5. Coat the surface with any simple wax just to give that one protection coat.
6. Coat the surface with a paint sealant
7. Coat the surface with final thick wax.

Many people will say why thick wax after sealant, and that it is of no use. All car restoration experts are suggesting it since paints on cars have become thinner than ever. If you remember seeing Ambassador / Fiat Padmini, there used to be a thick 5 coat layer and those cars were full metal. Think of their durability. Nowadays, paints get rubbed off easily by just bird droppings. So, add that extra coat of thick wax (preferably a costly one). This should do the trick to bring that lost gloss on your car.

But, if you are hard pressed for time, then one of the vendors in auto market should do it for a "nominal" price. Why pay when you can do it over a weekend ?
prithm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 19:16   #9287
Senior - BHPian

The easiest way to get rid of bird droppings:
1. Spray water with a regular sprayer on the portion with the dropping or tree sap
2. Take a piece of tissue (which you have in your car's glove box.)
3. Put that tissue piece on the dropping. It will start sticking to the surface of the car, since that part is wet.
4. Spay a little more water to drench the tissue, but not so much as to disintegrate the paper.
5. Wait for 3-5 minutes <-- this is the most important part of the routine.
6. Just pick the tissue along with the dirt. 99% of it will just come off. You can use gloves if you don't like to handle that dirt.
7. Spray a little more water and wipe gently with a wet microfiber cloth if there is still some dirt remaining.

Last edited by S_U_N : 26th May 2015 at 19:18.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 19:37   #9288
Distinguished - BHPian

But... do not rub your car with tissue paper: it will scratch.
Old 26th May 2015, 19:37   #9289

He was talking about the etchings left behind by the bird droppings on the clearcoat guys, not about the bird droppings themselves. Polishing is the only way to remove the etchings if they get embedded into the clearcoat. Etchings happen due to the Uric acid in the bird droppings. The method you guys suggested can be used only to remove the bird droppings themselves and not the etchings which can start happening in a couple of minutes after the bird poo hits the paint surface. Bird droppings should be removed as soon as possible to minimize the chances of etching.
Old 26th May 2015, 19:52   #9290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_jacob View Post
He was talking about the etchings left behind by the bird droppings on the clearcoat guys, not about the bird droppings themselves.
OK. I perhaps missed that part. Thanks.
Old 26th May 2015, 22:02   #9291
BHPian

I cannot avoid bird poo etchings on my car because by the time the car which is parked under a tree all day comes home it is too late. I have several on the hood as well as the boot.
I have tried all sorts of polishes and compounds but they have not dissapeared completely. Has any one been successful at removing these etchings.
Old 26th May 2015, 22:11   #9292

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
I cannot avoid bird poo etchings on my car because by the time the car which is parked under a tree all day comes home it is too late. I have several on the hood as well as the boot.
I have tried all sorts of polishes and compounds but they have not dissapeared completely. Has any one been successful at removing these etchings.
Please refer to my post #9288 above. A car cover is your best option. If it cannot be removed by polishes or compounds then wetsanding your clearcoat is the only option but if done as a DIY the chances of burning through the clearcoat are high if careless. There are various youtube videos about wet sanding a clearcoat and you can either do them by yourself if you are feeling brave else you can contact one of the car detailers in your area to do it for you. Do remember wet sanding a clearcoat needs to be followed by compounding and polishing to bring back the initial gloss. Regularly maintaining your car by keeping it topped with a wax or sealant will also help reduce the effect bird droppings have on the clearcoat. Good luck.
Old 26th May 2015, 22:21   #9293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
Carpro Fixer + White Pad + DA did the trick for me.

Check out this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3416694
Old 26th May 2015, 22:39   #9294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Carpro Fixer + White Pad + DA did the trick for me.
Thanks, I will try this too.
Old 26th May 2015, 22:54   #9295
Senior - BHPian

Picked up a bottle of Auto Finesse Tough Coat Paint Sealant from detailed clean. They are running a sale on the same.

Do I need to apply it on top of a layer of wax or the other way around? The was I have is Collinite 845. I don't even know whether they both can go together. The main requirement is not the glaze but max protection against sun and rain.
Old 26th May 2015, 23:44   #9296

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Picked up a bottle of Auto Finesse Tough Coat Paint Sealant from detailed clean. They are running a sale on the same.

Do I need to apply it on top of a layer of wax or the other way around? The was I have is Collinite 845. I don't even know whether they both can go together. The main requirement is not the glaze but max protection against sun and rain.
Wax is applied on top of the sealant and not the other way around. The combo will increase the protection and gloss compared to just the sealant or the wax applied alone.

Last edited by ampere : 26th May 2015 at 23:52. Reason: Formatted text
arun_jacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 10:08   #9297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_jacob View Post
Wax is applied on top of the sealant and not the other way around. The combo will increase the protection and gloss compared to just the sealant or the wax applied alone.

If you have recently applied wax, please ensure it is cleared before applying a sealant. Double claying will help to rid of wax, then sealant and then wax.

Cheers
Old 27th May 2015, 10:47   #9298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

Wash with a concentrated car wash soap twice (use double the mentioned dilution ratio on the car wash shampoo bottle).This will weaken/remove most of the collinite that you would have applied it long time back.Follow it with clay to remove the remnants . Apply the tought coat, 2 layers with adequate curing time in between. Follow it up with Colli 845.

Always apply wax over sealant and not the other way around
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 18:21   #9299
Senior - BHPian

Any tips on a good polish to get rid of water marks, dirt buildup and minor rust spots on the chromed plastic and metal parts around the grill, logos and fog lamps ?

PS MODS : Please sticky this thread ! It deserves to be at the top of the page.
Old 29th May 2015, 09:10   #9300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Any tips on a good polish to get rid of water marks, dirt buildup and minor rust spots on the chromed plastic and metal parts around the grill, logos and fog lamps ?
PS MODS : Please sticky this thread ! It deserves to be at the top of the page.
Try using Klasse AIO or another type of cleaner wax. It should help. Regarding polish Ggtechniq p1, p2 is a good combo and so is Meguiars m105,205. But I doubt you'll get the second one in smaller quantities, there are others too you can choose your pick.try to use a clay to remove embedded debris before polishing. Good luck.

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2015 at 09:16. Reason: Formatted post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks