Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2014, 19:14   #9031
BANNED

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I am looking to buy a wax for my red polo. Any suggestions?
Formula1 = Fake
Turtle wax ( paste or liquid+PTFE)
3M wax
Maruti's Wax
Old 22nd December 2014, 19:32   #9032
BHPian

Hi All,

One quick question.

- Jopasu duster + Proklear waterless wash is my recipe for weekly upkeepment of car. It takes me only 15 minutes to get back all the shine. Plus its literally effortless.
- How can I easily and effortlessly do away with bird droppings during these sessions?
- I don't really intend to spend more than 15 minutes for the waterless wash.

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd December 2014, 20:43   #9033
Senior - BHPian

What is a good option to remove stains on cloth upholstery in the Vento; of course sans giving to the service center? Any DIY pointers?
Old 22nd December 2014, 22:12   #9034
BHPian

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
What is a good option to remove stains on cloth upholstery in the Vento; of course sans giving to the service center? Any DIY pointers?

Try Meguiars Carpet & Upholstery cleaner. Recently my i20 back seats were gifted by HASS with grease spots and further dirty water spots when they tried to clean it. The cleaner worked well and after cleaning twice the fabric is as good as new.
Old 23rd December 2014, 12:22   #9035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
Hi All,

One quick question.

- Jopasu duster + Proklear waterless wash is my recipe for weekly upkeepment of car. It takes me only 15 minutes to get back all the shine. Plus its literally effortless.
- How can I easily and effortlessly do away with bird droppings during these sessions?
- I don't really intend to spend more than 15 minutes for the waterless wash.

Thanks in advance.
For bird droppings, just spray Proklear solution and wipe clean. Do it as soon as bird droppings are observed, don't let them dry for long on the paint surface.
Old 23rd December 2014, 12:57   #9036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
I am looking to buy a wax for my red polo. Any suggestions?
Formula1 = Fake
Turtle wax ( paste or liquid+PTFE)
3M wax
Maruti's Wax
I am using Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax and happy with the results. As it is liquid wax so just spray and wipe-off, almost no efforts as compared to paste wax and saves time too.

Have used Formula1 as well earlier but I found Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax much better in terms of shine it provided.
SaurabhSaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2014, 13:51   #9037
BHPian

The painters who were called up for touching up my home exterior were so generous that they blessed my beloved ride with some red paint spots (used for touching up the windows), especially on the bonnet and boot areas and now that it has dried up completely I'm finding it really difficult to remove the same. Tried Zorrik 88 (which I found very effective for tar removal) but the same did not work. Attaching a pic of a portion of the bonnet.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-spots.jpg

Any specific method/product to remove such stubborn paint spots?
Old 28th December 2014, 21:32   #9038
BHPian

I got a Formula1 Polish recently and would like to know whether its fine to use this after a shampoo wash or a waxing is must before applying polish. Will it harm anyway if waxing is not done. Please note that my car is about 10 months old and is always parked under cover.
Old 28th December 2014, 21:50   #9039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Any specific method/product to remove such stubborn paint spots?
Use a clay bar along with some clay lube. It will take out the spots.
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:29   #9040
Senior - BHPian

Experts,

Need advise. A stupid 6 seater rickshaw in the heat of squeezing in between lanes did this to my Punto in Pune. The black marks are removable IMO but how is the question. Also how do I address the scratch, is there any quick fix to this? I really dont want to visit the FASS just for the paint job.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p_20141231_120744.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2015, 10:33   #9041
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
Please suggest me a good car detailing place in calicut. I'm planning to get polymer coating and paint protection for my polo
I dont think there are any reputed places just for detailing in Calicut. I have seen 3M centers along with authorized service centers (Popular Maruti & Amana Toyota).
However unlike ICE, seat covers and all I have not heard about a center which has detailing as its USP there.
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:09   #9042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The black marks are removable IMO but how is the question. Also how do I address the scratch
A rubbing compound will remove the black marks. Most probably you can remove \ reduce the deep scratch with a slight sanding using 1500,2000,2500 grits and then the compounding , polishing and sealant. Try with compounding first.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:21   #9043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
A rubbing compound will remove the black marks.
Any suggestions which one would give best results. Wouldn't sanding affect the paint around the scratch??
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:27   #9044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Any suggestions which one would give best results. Wouldn't sanding affect the paint around the scratch??
I am using Megs 105 and it needs a rotary polisher. If you have no experience in these I would suggest you give it to some detailer, it wont cost much. What ever you do will be affecting the clearcoat, not the paint. If the scratch is deep into the paint, then repainting / touchup is the only option, but sanding / compounding can reduce the visibility of the scratch to a great extend.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 2nd January 2015 at 11:30.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:02   #9045
BHPian

Finally, got bit by the detailing bug!

With an aim to make my 7 months old Ford Classic (Diamond White) shine, purchased a can of Formula 1 wax from the nearby car accessories shop (god knows if its fake or not). As the ride was covered with tar I had to use a generous amount of diesel to get rid off it, followed by a thorough wash with Amway car wash, drying and then applying a single coat of F1. The surface is now extremely clean but the shine is nowhere near to the 'wet look' I had in mind. Also F1 left a dusty/oily residue on the surface whereas I prefer a slick one. And yeah, I'm damn sure that the shine won't even last for two weeks. The following are the stuff that I have right now in my detailing arsenal :

i. Amway car wash
ii. 8 MF towels + 1 wash mitt
iii. Proklear RAW Xtreme WWC
iv. Proklear windshield wash concentrate
v. STP Son of a Gun
vi. Formula 1 wax (which I don't intend to use again)

So here comes the query part,

i. I really need to get that wet look on my car along with decent durability (5 months atleast) with a VFM product. Considering that I have a white car, what product should I go for? And yeah, topping one stuff with other is not really my thing, so a single good product satisfying the above requirements would be appreciated.

ii. The vehicle badly needs to be clayed and hence buying elastrofoam too. Planning to buy Elastrofoam and OCW for the time being. Will it suffice my needs?

iii. Or should I go for costlier sealants like Collinite 845, Optseal or UPGP? Can these stuff provide decent durability if applied as a single product i.e without topping up with wax?

iv. Can I use IPA to strip off the existing coat of F1 before applying the new product?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks