Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2014, 13:29   #8566
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvoyeur View Post
Guys,

Decided to come here at 3M gurgaon - the owner Anurag recommended advanced paint sealant treatment (5990 + taxes)

Quick question - he is hard selling and asking me to get a total package (17200+taxes) or total exterior package (11200+taxes)

In total I get - advanced paint sealant, power shine, germiclean, germiclean plus, UV and 5 car washes

In exterior I get - advanced paint sealant, power shine, UV and 2 car washes

Any thoughts if I should go for it or just pay my due share for getting the sad scratches removed and just get the hell out.

Not to mention he is hard selling the 3M nomad car mats and underbody treatment as well but I have decided to take a DIY approach for it.

Carvoyeur

Just get the Paint sealant treatment done. Your main aim now is to remove the scratches and get back the finish of the bonnet.

3M Paint sealant program is anyway just OK OK. Nothing much to talk about. The high gloss and shine is short lived.

Later as and when you 'feel' the need to keep your car gleaming you can get the required products and do the maintenance yourself at a way lower price than the 3M. Or you can visit 3M on a ad hoc basis . So stay away from the whole package

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 16th May 2014 at 13:30.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2014, 19:28   #8567
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Decided to come here at 3M gurgaon - the owner Anurag recommended advanced paint sealant treatment (5990 + taxes)

Quick question - he is hard selling and asking me to get a total package (17200+taxes) or total exterior package (11200+taxes)

In total I get - advanced paint sealant, power shine, germiclean, germiclean plus, UV and 5 car washes

In exterior I get - advanced paint sealant, power shine, UV and 2 car washes

Any thoughts if I should go for it or just pay my due share for getting the sad scratches removed and just get the hell out.

Not to mention he is hard selling the 3M nomad car mats and underbody treatment as well but I have decided to take a DIY approach for it.

Carvoyeur
If the scratches are just on the hood , why not to compound / polish it and rest can be done in diy route !

What Say ? The Total damage would not be more then 500 rupees , and you save a lot of money to spend on diy products ?
NOTORIOUS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2014, 20:17   #8568
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Carvoyeur
Dude,
17200+taxes for complete package?
You'll get a clean car which would remain clean for one month to the maximum...
Instead, just wash your car at any normal car wash, buy an ambipur air freshner for Rs.200 and take your family or your friends to a holiday for the remaining 16500 which will remain in your memory a life long...

My advise will be DIY.
By this way, you will have fun and as well as you will save a lot of money.

Regards,
Guru.
amazingGuru67 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2014, 00:39   #8569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you want a quick solution for your problem, get the scratches removed and say adios to 3M.

17 grands, are you kidding me for 3M. That's a simple waste of money.

If you want to spend wisely and get something great like glass coating contact bhpian Notorious who is owner at Sparkle Detailing, Delhi. Get something like Cquatrz or Gtechniq done. Much better than spending 17 grands at 3M.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 01:48   #8570
Distinguished - BHPian

I second the opinions here. Perhaps one may not be a DIY person. But every car owner has to spend at least some time caring for their car. For the same money of 17k, you can stack up quite a lot of product and equipment to achieve an overall result miles ahead of what 3M can offer, as well as being able to regularly top up the various coatings etc. Get the scratches buffed out by 3M or any other detailing setup and you could give it an occassional coating of wax such as Collinite etc or can go for a much stronger one like CQuartz.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 18:25   #8571
BHPian

Guys,

Thank you to all for your prompt and patient responses - I got the one time advanced paint sealant treatment from 3M. The damage was ~6.6 K which in my humble opinion is totally not worth it unless one has a messed up bonnet.

Here are some of the pictures (I don't click many pictures so please pardon the scarcity of pictures or the lack thereof)

Before:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-before__1400503076_61.16.166.228.jpg

While getting prepared at 3M:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-while-getting-prepared.jpg

After:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-after.jpg

After they said the car is ready, I saw the bonnet and I could still notice very slight white marks. They said its nothing and because of uneven wax and put some more, rubbed with a cloth and it was fine. Now this may be bad because even on the day I got the swastik mark removed, that guy put some polish to make it look like nothing happened. However,in this case, the owner Anurag did give the re-assurance that he is 99% sure and if anything happens I can bring it back. So yeah, fingers crossed.

@El lobo - Special thanks to you sir. I now have a jopasu duster, ultima waterless quick detailer, a Sonus all purpose interior cleaner, a meguiar's shampoo, a few microfiber clothes, a large microfiber towel and I will get a nice wax and a sealant on my coming trip. I just hope there continues to be a fine line between me being careful and me being finicky
Old 20th May 2014, 14:10   #8572
BHPian

Hi all, just needed some help regarding removal of paint spots. I was traveling under a bridge and someone was painting the bridge (kings circle railway bridge) with silver paint. Some paint fell on the car body plus windshield. What i did was sprayed some WD40 which i had handy and mostly a lot of paint got away as i tried it within few minutes. But in some other places where there are still spots remaining, its getting difficult to remove it using WD40, can somebody suggest an easier and accessible way of removing those paint spots?
Old 20th May 2014, 14:16   #8573
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Thank you to all for your prompt and patient responses - I got the one time advanced paint sealant treatment from 3M. The damage was ~6.6 K which in my humble opinion is totally not worth it unless one has a messed up bonnet.

So are you saying this is not worth it. Cos I was planning to get my 1.5 year old purple beast polished next month. There were some swirl marks as well as minor scratches, which the 3m folks said can be removed. Also the purple has lost its shine due to the dusty conditions and looks more browny.

i do the washing and waxing on my own, and do have some of the products. Planning to get some more in the list, and maintain the purple shine post the polishing..... so that was my plan.

By the way, your cars bonnet looks great after the polishing. Hope it stays as they have promised.

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 20th May 2014 at 14:17.
Old 20th May 2014, 14:29   #8574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
So are you saying this is not worth it. Cos I was planning to get my 1.5 year old purple beast polished next month.
FundaG
That was my understanding basis multiple reasons:

-They spent ~1 hour and 20 minutes in rubbing, polishing and waxing. For all I know from reading multiple threads, detailers spend 3-4 hours on a car
-My car was almost brand new and shining - so I did not see as much of a delta on rest of the car (except the bonnet of course)
-Many people have commented that their shine is not very long lasting
-When they said the car is ready, I could see many small small blemishes which irritated me and I had to get them removed one by one

So essentially, you are right in deciding to go for a treatment. You just need to figure out if 3 M is the right place and the right price. You might consider el lobo's post earlier in which there is a reference of sparkle detail and shine. Maybe you could compare the two and then let us know as well
Old 20th May 2014, 16:38   #8575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So are you saying this is not worth it. Cos I was planning to get my 1.5 year old purple beast polished next month. There were some swirl marks as well as minor scratches, which the 3m folks said can be removed.
Since you are based in Bangalore I would suggest you to go to either of them. 3M is definitely wont be worth it.

1. Ultimate Detailerz.
2. Keystone Enterprise.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 09:06   #8576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So are you saying this is not worth it. Cos I was planning to get my 1.5 year old purple beast polished next month. There were some swirl marks as well as minor scratches, which the 3m folks said can be removed. Also the purple has lost its shine due to the dusty conditions and looks more browny.

i do the washing and waxing on my own, and do have some of the products. Planning to get some more in the list, and maintain the purple shine post the polishing..... so that was my plan.

By the way, your cars bonnet looks great after the polishing. Hope it stays as they have promised.

FundaG
3M definitely not worth. Like others have said the gloss and shine hardly lasts a month and the products used are just OK OK. When they launched they were worth their service since we did not have alternatives then. But now we have professional and more importantly passionate detailers who use much better products and give a far superior end results

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Since you are based in Bangalore I would suggest you to go to either of them. 3M is definitely wont be worth it.

1. Ultimate Detailerz.
2. Keystone Enterprise.
Agree with you. Along with these two we have 'Quantum Details' also in Bangalore who also offer very good detailing services
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 19:30   #8577
BHPian

Thank you guys for sharing your knowledge and experience here for the benefit of all those who want to keep their Cars looking like new.

After going through many posts I decided to buy some new products and now my kit has following products.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-kit.jpg

Most of the Formula 1 products I already had whereas I have added Meguiars, Collinite recently to the kit.

Will be adding these to the kit shortly:
- ONR for regular cleaning and this saves water too
- Meguiar's Clay Bar & Water Magnet Towel

After some time:
- A good Polisher, how about Black & Decker KP1200 Car Polisher?

For many weeks it was theoretical session on this thread and last Sunday it was the time to go for practical session.

Car Wash (F1) + Tyre, rim cleaning > QD > UC > UP > QW > C 915 (One layer only, shall I do it once more layer of C915 this weekend)

Shine after C 915 was excellent! I think it was more shining as compared to the day when I took the delivery 2 years back!

I feel as the color of my car is pearl white the major difference after the grooming session was absolute clean, bright, shiny and smooth touch appeal but it was not that shiny like it comes on dark color cars specially black.

In pics the shine is not coming that much but its altogether different feel in person when I see it.

I am really impressed and satisfied with Maguiar's products and C 915.

In the excitement to try new products I missed to take before use pictures Here is my 2 Year young beast after the session.

For the first time, I saw the clear impression of roof on the hood.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-roof-bonet.jpg

Almost No Swirl
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20140526_120804.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-day-time-shadow.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20140526_120907.jpg

Last edited by SaurabhSaran : 28th May 2014 at 19:31.
Old 29th May 2014, 14:22   #8578
Senior - BHPian

I am quite surprised to hear negative reviews for 3M detailing here. There is another thread for 3M (for Pune) and everyone seems to be very happy with the service.

Anyway, I myself have never used anyone's service so, I will always find all detailers expensive.

I have recently got 303 ® Aerospace Protectant and Meguiar's® Mild-Removal Detailing Clay (both got from US by a friend).
I have still not used them, since I don't find time these days.
Old 29th May 2014, 19:57   #8579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I am quite surprised to hear negative reviews for 3M detailing here. There is another thread for 3M (for Pune) and everyone seems to be very happy with the service.

Anyway, I myself have never used anyone's service so, I will always find all detailers expensive.

I have recently got 303 ® Aerospace Protectant and Meguiar's® Mild-Removal Detailing Clay (both got from US by a friend).
I have still not used them, since I don't find time these days.
3M is not bad. The problem is the sealant does not last more than a month. All the paint correction you do is waste if you don't have a strong sealant which seals and protects the gloss. The initial bling and shine will be there but it does down within a month.
Old 29th May 2014, 21:01   #8580
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

3M is not bad. The problem is the sealant does not last more than a month. All the paint correction you do is waste if you don't have a strong sealant which seals and protects the gloss. The initial bling and shine will be there but it does down within a month.
I don't know how many '++' should I add to your reply.

I had the same doubt like the rest so asked the owner of that 3M store, he replied it will last 6-7 months* maximum.

*Conditions Apply:

>> Car parking should be covered as much as possible;

>> Use Jopasu Duster everyday;

>> Avoid parking in sun for longer durations.

I was like LOL! I had got the Paint sealant treatment done on my Swift but I feel the quality and shine of paint remains. Car is now 5 months& 14000 kms old.

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks