Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2013, 09:47   #7501
BHPian

Post rain car care

With monsoon rains here, one doubt; after waxing the car, after the car gets a drench in rain, will a say Sonax Gloss shampoo wash remove the wax effect? If shampoo will remove the wax effect, then what is the best way to clean the car after rain drench? Just dry? I do not think it is a good idea given there may be
dust, sand particles stuck to the car body in the rain. Any thoughts, experience based practice..? Cheers
Old 23rd June 2013, 10:38   #7502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
With monsoon rains here, one doubt; after waxing the car, after the car gets a drench in rain, will a say Sonax Gloss shampoo wash remove the wax effect? If shampoo will remove the wax effect, then what is the best way to clean the car after rain drench? Just dry? I do not think it is a good idea given there may be
dust, sand particles stuck to the car body in the rain. Any thoughts, experience based practice..? Cheers
Hello Ravee

Sonax gloss shampoo is pH neutral and hence safe for the wax on the car.

Rinsing off the dirt first with a hose and water and then using shampoo with wash mitt will be helpful. If you drag the mitt with shampoo on a dry dirty surface it will unnecessarily cause swirls and I guess you dont have a grit guard.

If you have a pressure washer its the best option. Earlier when I didnt have a pressure washer, or at times when I dont feel like lugging the machine to the basement, I use the pressure pump sprayr like those used in the Shell pumps to clean glass. Put some shampoo in it first, spray over entire car, and then use fresh water and spray again to rinse off the dirt and grime.

Hope this helps.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 11:04   #7503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

Hello Ravee

Sonax gloss shampoo is pH neutral and hence safe for the wax on the car.

Rinsing off the dirt first with a hose and water and then using shampoo with wash mitt will be helpful. If you drag the mitt with shampoo on a dry dirty surface it will unnecessarily cause swirls and I guess you dont have a grit guard.

If you have a pressure washer its the best option. Earlier when I didnt have a pressure washer, or at times when I dont feel like lugging the machine to the basement, I use the pressure pump sprayr like those used in the Shell pumps to clean glass. Put some shampoo in it first, spray over entire car, and then use fresh water and spray again to rinse off the dirt and grime.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Partha! Yes just completed the rinse, shampoo, rinse, dry, Meguiars QD and buff, very much satisfied with
the result No, I do not have grit guard, too expensive to source here. Manage with 3 buckets treatment (try to be as
careful as feasible). In the list of things to be got in next trip whenever it is. Cheers
Old 23rd June 2013, 11:36   #7504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post

Thanks Partha! Yes just completed the rinse, shampoo, rinse, dry, Meguiars QD and buff, very much satisfied with
the result No, I do not have grit guard, too expensive to source here. Manage with 3 buckets treatment (try to be as
careful as feasible). In the list of things to be got in next trip whenever it is. Cheers
Yes grit guard is definitely overpriced here. I dont have one and dont think Il require as I do touchless washing mostly. and grit guards are a bit of a gimmick really. you still havent put up the pictures.

An Home made remedy for grit guard:- http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru....php?p=4023179

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 23rd June 2013 at 11:57.
Old 23rd June 2013, 12:45   #7505
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Finally bought this:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....m=281123998233

I always wanted to have this manual pressurized sprayer, but was unable to locate one, in the local market. Finally, in the barbershop section! Price is competitive, in Europe it was for 6 Euros in the supermarket. Did not buy because of the bulk.

Should be helpful to DIY detailers!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 23rd June 2013 at 12:50.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 13:18   #7506
Senior - BHPian

Autoglym SRP on polishing pad + rotary and FK1000P. Want to give sealants one more shot, I'll top it up with M16 once FK1000P cures.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_1459.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 13:29   #7507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Finally bought this:

I always wanted to have this manual pressurized sprayer, but was unable to locate one, in the local market. Finally, in the barbershop section! Price is competitive, in Europe it was for 6 Euros in the supermarket. Did not buy because of the bulk.

I got a 1 liter one from the hardware store, only Rs 35! That too you can rotate the nozzle and vary the spray from stream to fine mist.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 13:35   #7508
BHPian

Quote:
Finally bought this:

Yes i was referring to the same thing. You get these in Mantri mall as well. Ive the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Autoglym SRP on polishing pad + rotary and FK1000P. Want to give sealants one more shot, I'll top it up with M16 once FK1000P cures.
Another fab work from you Feel like licking your palio. It looks so deliciously gorgeous.

How did you source the M16? Is it locally available? Whats the price?

How was the ease of use for the AG SRP? Anything you liked in it more than other products?

Have you done only one of your headlights? The left headlight seems to be a bit faded. The right one seems clear. I maybe wrong as it can be just the picture.

Please do justice to the car and post some pics from nice landscapes. She is just so beautiful. That gloss.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

I got a 1 liter one from the hardware store, only Rs 35! That too you can rotate the nozzle and vary the spray from stream to fine mist.
Whoa thats a superb deal. Did you get these in Kolkata? Looks Like I need to make a stopover next time Im there.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 23rd June 2013 at 13:38.
Old 23rd June 2013, 13:48   #7509
Senior - BHPian

Could someone please recommend a good VFM interior dash board cleaner??

Found these on Snapdeal:

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/f1-d...82000?pos=5;46

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/f1-d...1995?pos=33;46

Has anyone used these? How good are these products? There's not even a product description mentioned!

Thanks in advance!
Old 23rd June 2013, 15:05   #7510
BHPian

Post rain cleaning, LSP is just QD

Partha here are 3 snaps of my White Duster post monsoon shower cleaning; no waxing, LSP was just Meguiar's QD. Collinite 845 is still to be ordered, will see after July travels. These are first pictures I am posting in the forum Used JPEEG optimizer to get the size down. Hope the clarity is ok. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-duster-1.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-duster-2.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-duster-3.jpg  

Waxeloquent is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 15:07   #7511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Could someone please recommend a good VFM interior dash board cleaner??

Found these on Snapdeal:

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/f1-d...82000?pos=5;46

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/f1-d...1995?pos=33;46

Has anyone used these? How good are these products? There's not even a product description mentioned!

Thanks in advance!

Those Are Fake and Useless. Try carpro PERL or Meguiars quick interior detailer.
NOTORIOUS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 15:39   #7512
BHPian

Quote:
only Rs 35!
35 INR? I mean the one I ordered, is not the Colin spray bottle type, manually actuated type. You pump this one like an inflator first and use it to spray stuff, even later on.

But I could not find one locally so I guess I got royally ripped. Anyways. But if it is that cheap in Kolkata, may I ask from which locality BTW? I am from Kolkata too (Hiland Park), and I can ask my folks to buy 2-3 more and bring it along when they visit me next month. So if you can suggest some shop in South Kolkata/Gariahat region, it would be great.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 23rd June 2013 at 15:55.
Old 23rd June 2013, 17:30   #7513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Whoa thats a superb deal. Did you get these in Kolkata? Looks Like I need to make a stopover next time Im there.
Quote:
35 INR? I mean the one I ordered, is not the Colin spray bottle type, manually actuated type. You pump this one like an inflator first and use it to spray stuff, even later on.
Guess that adds to the price, mine is just a manual spray. Again - I am yet to test the longevity of this thing. Maybe you get what you pay for !
To clear any confusion - the one I bought looks like this

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-spraybottles500x500.jpg
Old 23rd June 2013, 19:23   #7514
BHPian

Quote:
mine is just a manual spray....
Ahhhh! Now its clear! These are in fact quite common. The plunger version, well, I spent several liters of fuel searching for it, in vain. So the "landed" cost for me, is much higher.

Waiting for it to arrive. Will dissect and post a report.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 23rd June 2013 at 19:26.
Old 23rd June 2013, 21:37   #7515
Distinguished - BHPian

People wanting a plunger operated spray might find one in a gardening shop. Used for pest control and stuff like that.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks