Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2013, 13:42   #7291
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I have now used Jopasu duster for about two weeks, every alternate day. It works well and picks dust just with one glide. But, it now looks black and very dirty, which is not coming off, by just shaking it. As has been discussed here, the cover says, the dirtier it gets, the better it works.

It picks loose dry dust, but, if there is some thick dirt stuck to the paint, it tends to rub and spread it. Anybody observed this? I will try to post a picture next time I use the duster.

Last edited by stringbh : 25th April 2013 at 13:45.
Old 25th April 2013, 14:19   #7292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
I have now used Jopasu duster for about two weeks, every alternate day. It works well and picks dust just with one glide. But, it now looks black and very dirty, which is not coming off, by just shaking it. As has been discussed here, the cover says, the dirtier it gets, the better it works.

It picks loose dry dust, but, if there is some thick dirt stuck to the paint, it tends to rub and spread it. Anybody observed this? I will try to post a picture next time I use the duster.
Very good observation stringbh. Jopasu can infact pickup mild dust. Dust that would fly off, if you use a moderate blower. However heavier dust/dirt is something that's should be cleaned by hand.

Jopasu is best suited to lift dust off your car, if your car is under covered parking and still managed to get a cover of dust on it. Or is parked in a relatively less dusty environment. If your car is parked in the open road, with heavy traffic and dust conditions, this may do more damage than good.
Old 25th April 2013, 15:23   #7293
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I think your using the Jopasu duster wrong. The duster is meant to remove light dust by lifting off the body. If your car has muck on it or dirt stuck to it and you try to remove using the duster by applying pressure, you will induce swirls on the body work.

Your supposed to glide it over the body provided it has loose dust.

I use the duster for 4-5 days after a wash. As soon as it rains and the car gets dirty, I stop using duster and wait to go for wash. There's no way you can use the duster on a car that has been parked on driven in the rain.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 15:26   #7294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Absolutely. i typed wax by mistake but my car had been teflon coated. I meant to type that. But i had waxed it was well, hence the confusion. But the shine i obtained after waxing it perfectly was a sight to behold for me.
Thad is right. Teflon coating cannot prevent the paint from scratching. In fact nothing under the sun can protect your paint from scratching in a such a incidence. I believe the crash you had would be just a slight nudge no to harm your paint. Lucky you.
Old 25th April 2013, 15:33   #7295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Thad is right. Teflon coating cannot prevent the paint from scratching. In fact nothing under the sun can protect your paint from scratching in a such a incidence. I believe the crash you had would be just a slight nudge no to harm your paint. Lucky you.
Maybe, but i saw my bumper was deformed at that place and once i moved the vehicle, the bumper's deformity popped back and the bumper returned to shape. I was expecting a lot of scratches since the deformity was quite huge and also, since it had a hit, i was expecting scratches. But all i saw was some smearing which i wiped off and the shine came back. Absolutely lucky if i go by what you say .
Old 25th April 2013, 16:24   #7296
BHPian

Hi fellow bhp-ians,
I live in a flat on the top floor with no access to running water (so no hose) or an electric point (for a portable pressure washer).
I have been cleaning my car using the two bucket water system but the muck stuck on tyres is difficult to get off apart from the buckets of water I had to bring from my flat.

I was thinking of getting myself a portable non electric pressure washer. Something like this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294).

Has anyone any experience using one of these or a better alternative for me. My car is in black and it rains every two days here
Old 25th April 2013, 16:38   #7297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyworld View Post
Hi fellow bhp-ians,

I have been cleaning my car using the two bucket water system but the muck stuck on tyres is difficult to get off apart from the buckets of water I had to bring from my flat.
I haven't used a manual pressure washer, but can give you some tips on saving water and saving some calories. Try to use the Optimum No Rinse. It's simple and effective.
I have been using Mothers Fender Well Brush,along with APC for 3 months now and I find it just adequate to shake off the tyres' ill fated companions.

Last edited by Mudhalaipatti : 25th April 2013 at 16:42.
Old 25th April 2013, 18:23   #7298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
I haven't used a manual pressure washer, but can give you some tips on saving water and saving some calories. Try to use the Optimum No Rinse. It's simple and effective.
I am still not in the place where I can trust waterless cleaner. I haven't tried any but I am reluctant to give it a shot. Two three times more of filling water in buckets and making to and fro trips will surely get me there

Quote:
I have been using Mothers Fender Well Brush,along with APC for 3 months now and I find it just adequate to shake off the tyres' ill fated companions.

Thanks for your recommendation of the brush. My issue is however the dirt collected inside (or the area behind) the wheel spokes. Its very difficult to clean in that area and that's why I am scouting for a pressure washer.
Old 26th April 2013, 17:56   #7299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Flex 3401 is a good one - but its expensive at $429 with kits going upwards of $450
Thank you for putting my doubts to rest. Planning to pick up some stuff when I travel now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
I am using a Kestrel DA polisher, which I got from UK. With the customs duty of around 3600 Rs, I spent about 12-12.5 K on it. I think I got it from shinerama, it was promptly sent through Fedex and the duty was paid on delivery. It came with 5.5" and 6.5" backing plates ad I bought some pads also from them, mainly Lake county and 3M pads. Their site gives valuable information on detailing including information on different pads.
So far, I have used the Kestrel only twice and quite pleased with it. You can see the result below
Amazing results Sirjee! Unfortunately my budget is limited - but this is surely on the cards for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Its no use buying the flex from US as its easily available in India and close to the US price. Plus theres service and after sales support also. And warranty too.
Thank you sir. I intend to buy from Home depot or the Local Walmart when I am there. It seems to be cheaper than the prices on Autogeek or chemical guys. Spares are not a deal breaker for me. I spoke to Mohsin a couple of days ago (God bless him!) And he mentioned that is it just another power tool and uses tech similar to grinders and stuff. So most local tinkerers should be able to repair.

however, I will still buy basic spares. I think you have a very valid point with the polishes/ pastes etc. Which I will pick up locally or order through the very excellent sources we now have.

I already have a couple of heavy duty stuff in my house which is running off 220V110V transformers.

the big plus is most stuff is cheaper in the US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Detailing friends

The folks at Meguiar's have probably reduced the entry barrier significantly with their new system
This does work. However, it tends to tire you out due to the ergonomics. Also the smaller diameter will need you to work that much longer on the car. Good for the weekend DIY'er.

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2013 at 19:38. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 22:13   #7300
BHPian

Quote:
This will sound silly but believe me I'd like to know: how different is this brush from one of the regular toilet cleaning brushes? Looking at the webpage, I could see the wider bristle base. The page talks about special characterisitcs of the brush but does it justify the Rs.875 price tag?
Old 26th April 2013, 23:50   #7301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Maybe, but i saw my bumper was deformed at that place and once i moved the vehicle, the bumper's deformity popped back and the bumper returned to shape. I was expecting a lot of scratches since the deformity was quite huge and also, since it had a hit, i was expecting scratches. But all i saw was some smearing which i wiped off and the shine came back. Absolutely lucky if i go by what you say .
That is due to a certain flexing agent in the paint used on flexible portions of the car like bumpers and plastics(from factory). These allow the paint to flex with the panel without cracking!!

You might notice cracks on improperly repainted bumpers as the flexing agent isnt used due to lack of knowledge or cost cutting or laziness etc.
sohail99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 01:47   #7302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktop View Post
This will sound silly but believe me I'd like to know: how different is this brush from one of the regular toilet cleaning brushes? Looking at the webpage, I could see the wider bristle base. The page talks about special characterisitcs of the brush but does it justify the Rs.875 price tag?
I think this is a very good idea (although my pressure washer takes care of this area for me) but the price tag is too high: buy the toilet brush. In fact, I might just do that
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 09:59   #7303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

No, it does not justify the price tag. Since its imported and from a premium brand , its priced like that.
You will get the same design brush at the local plastic shop for some 250 bucks

Although the local ones do not come with the rubber grip handles and the rubber lining protection, it does not warrant such a high premium at all!!

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 27th April 2013 at 10:13.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 10:30   #7304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think this is a very good idea (although my pressure washer takes care of this area for me) but the price tag is too high: buy the toilet brush. In fact, I might just do that
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
No, it does not justify the price tag. Since its imported and from a premium brand , its priced like that.
You will get the same design brush at the local plastic shop for some 250 bucks

Although the local ones do not come with the rubber grip handles and the rubber lining protection, it does not warrant such a high premium at all!!
So, the toilet brush it'll be for me. Just need to make sure that the maid doesn't use it to clean the toilet by mistake; not that the roads we drive through do not splatter dung and mud on those very fenders!!
Blacktop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 12:12   #7305
BHPian

Quote:

So, the toilet brush it'll be for me. Just need to make sure that the maid doesn't use it to clean the toilet by mistake; not that the roads we drive through do not splatter dung and mud on those very fenders!!
Infact if you go to a hardware store you can get those bendable brushes. Does the job pretty well.
NOS Power is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks