Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:07   #7126
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Use a good cheap wax like Turtle wax super hard shell. This stuff will last for 10-15 days and its very safe. It might not hide all the swirls but its pretty good.
Thankyou for the reply Captain, I was actually using Turtle Wax and stopped using it when I read in some other forum that it contains very mild abrasives. I do not know if it really contains any, but it was easy to use and also lasts 10 to 15 days as you mentioned. It does not hide swirls at all, but it feels smooth and the Jopasu Duster just glides over it. Any idea if it contains any kind of abrasives or is it safe to use it any number of times? I used to reapply was when the Duster doesn't move freely on the surface.
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:19   #7127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post

Thankyou for the reply Captain, I was actually using Turtle Wax and stopped using it when I read in some other forum that it contains very mild abrasives. I .
Why dont you opt for collinite or some sealant for a longer protection? And weekly you can top it off with a spray wax like ultimate quick wax to get the slick feeling to last for a few more days. This will also lessen your effort every fortnight. And while cleaning or before going out somewhere you can just quik detail with ONR wash and wax which gives an extra layer of protection and slickness. This is what I follow with my bike and car. ONR is very effective that even when the svc guys put some grease on my bike after two hours it went off with just a wipe.
Old 3rd April 2013, 13:25   #7128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thankyou for the reply Captain, I was actually using Turtle Wax and stopped using it when I read in some other forum that it contains very mild abrasives. I do not know if it really contains any, but it was easy to use and also lasts 10 to 15 days as you mentioned. It does not hide swirls at all, but it feels smooth and the Jopasu Duster just glides over it. Any idea if it contains any kind of abrasives or is it safe to use it any number of times? I used to reapply was when the Duster doesn't move freely on the surface.
I do not see a reason to stop using Turtle wax. I have been using TW for many years now. The car still shines like new.
TW is safer than formula 1 which has a lot more abrasives.

TW is the cheap monthly 2 twice wax.
I use collinite once in 2 months or when the car needs an extra shine and glow that TW can not give.
Yes Collinite 845 or the 915 will last a lot longer and the also make the car shine, but at 4-5 times the cost of TW its not a wax that you can use 2 times a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Why dont you opt for collinite or some sealant for a longer protection? And weekly you can top it off with a spray wax like ultimate quick wax to get the slick feeling to last for a few more days. This will also lessen your effort every fortnight. And while cleaning or before going out somewhere you can just quik detail with ONR wash and wax which gives an extra layer of protection and slickness. This is what I follow with my bike and car. ONR is very effective that even when the svc guys put some grease on my bike after two hours it went off with just a wipe.
Collinite is one of the better waxes but also 4-5 times the cost of TW,
once the 845 is properly applied "2 coats" this will easily last a month or more with a little care.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 22:12   #7129
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I do not see a reason to stop using Turtle wax. I have been using TW for many years now. The car still shines like new.
TW is safer than formula 1 which has a lot more abrasives.

TW is the cheap monthly 2 twice wax.
I use collinite once in 2 months or when the car needs an extra shine and glow that TW can not give.
Yes Collinite 845 or the 915 will last a lot longer and the also make the car shine, but at 4-5 times the cost of TW its not a wax that you can use 2 times a month.

Collinite is one of the better waxes but also 4-5 times the cost of TW,
once the 845 is properly applied "2 coats" this will easily last a month or more with a little care.
If I do not find anything that is clearly non abrasive, I will start using Collinite. Collinite 845 and 476 data sheet mentions they are free of abrasives and cleaners. I could not find such clear information on TW.

Though the cost of Collinite is high, I think they last a couple of months, so not an issue. If they last longer than 15 days, its an added bonus. I was also planning to get a polisher because of frequent waxing need and I can avoid buying this by using collinite 845.

I do not think I will use spray waxes as it gets expensive for regular usage.

My normal usage is like this, daily wipe with Jopasu Duster, weekly quick detailing with Wash Drops and finally waxing when the Duster doesn't move easily. Before waxing I wash with Formula 1 wash n shine.

couple of questions for my usage,

1. Collinite 476 or 845? Do they both give a similar result? - I do not need show car kind of gloss, but need slickness and little shine. Mine is a Wine Red Scorpio and there is hell of difference with and without wax. If 845 can give the little shine I want, I will go with it as it is much easier to apply and I do not have to buy a polisher

2. Is it better in terms of shine or durability to use a sealant before 845 or 476?. Any suggestions of a sealants? Are there any sealants available online in India? I checked BringingBest but could not find.

3. Can we apply a normal wax over Collinite?

Thankyou for the help.
Old 4th April 2013, 00:08   #7130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
1. what shampoo is advisable (Brand, cost etc) for weekly wash
2. Which wipes to dry the car after wash (Brand, Cost)
3. Any specific wipe / cloth specs for the washing cloth to be used?
Thanks Gurus in advance for the suggestions
You can use Sonax car shampoo Rs.289/- Amway carwash around 250/- or Meguairs NXT carwas 480/-
To dry car (wipe) you can try Micro Fiber cloths such as Meguairs water magnet Rs.750/- or Jopasu water magnet 230/- or 3Ms Blue MF cloth 300/-
For washing car with shampoo, you can use wash mitts which is around Rs.180 - 200/-

Quote:
Though the cost of Collinite is high, I think they last a couple of months, so not an issue. If they last longer than 15 days, its an added bonus.
I read that Collinite 476 & 845 will last for couple of months. But Collinite 915 will last for 2-3weeks only.

Quote:

1. Collinite 476 or 845? Do they both give a similar result? - I do not need show car kind of gloss, but need slickness and little shine.
476 is solid form of 845, both are durable for 2-3month and depends on usage. If car is parked always in sun, the durability of wax is less. Collinite 915 has more carnauba and gives more glossy shine, but less durable.

Quote:
2. Is it better in terms of shine or durability to use a sealant before 845 or 476?. Any suggestions of a sealants? Are there any sealants available online in India? I checked BringingBest but could not find.
I feel, its good to use sealant which is technologically advanced than wax and if you use sealant, no need for wax. However, IMO wax adds more gloss than sealants. You can use sealant and then apply wax also. I bought Wolfgang sealant from Nirmal in Bangalore, saw Blackfire Wet Diamond, Optiseal & Mother's Reflections sealants with him. I visited his office today along with Parthasarathig and was amazed looking at those detailing products. Take a look at the picture below.

Quote:
Collinite itself is wax and why again add another wax? However, you can spray Mequairs quick wax whenever you wash car after the above detailing is over.
Attached Images

Last edited by HighOctane : 4th April 2013 at 00:11.
HighOctane is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 10:14   #7131
BHPian

Quote:
If I do not find anything that is clearly non abrasive, I will start using Collinite. Collinite 845 and 476 data sheet mentions they are free of abrasives and cleaners. I could not find such clear information on TW.
Quote:
Though the cost of Collinite is high, I think they last a couple of months, so not an issue. If they last longer than 15 days, its an added bonus. I was also planning to get a polisher because of frequent waxing need and I can avoid buying this by using collinite 845.
Collinite costs 1300+/- change. If applied properly, a bottle will last for 1.5 years minimum for a hatchback. As Mr. Nirmal tells me, Collinite lasts sometimes even longer than a sealant. Im conducting an experiment for finding out such differences between collinite and sealant.

My opinion - If you are into waxing plus you want a long term durability, go for collinite. Without a doubt. Its the world's most trusted wax in terms of durability.

Quote:
I do not think I will use spray waxes as it gets expensive for regular usage.
If you dont want spray waxes, buy the ONR Wash and wax. It comes with carnauba components, plus UV protectors. An 8oz bottle will probably last you a lifetime ( ok thats overkill ) but it should last you 6 to 8 months on frequent usage. The beauty of these products is their high dilution ratio meaning you need very small amount to create a litre of wash solution. HighOctane has been using ONR longer than I have and his 1 litre solution has lasted him for a long time. Even Shashank.nk has been using the same and not yet needed to buy another one.

Having used both the blue and green one, I now prefer the green one. I usually give a quick detail just before leaving the house and that keeps the car protected throughout the day. Why I am recommending this product to you is because you wanted something to maintain the slickness of the finish and you dont want spray waxes. ONR is the most vfm stuff in the market.

So all you need now is 1 bottle of collinite and 1 8oz bottle of ONR wash and wax (green). This will keep your protection going for a long time.

My normal usage is like this, daily wipe with Jopasu Duster, weekly quick detailing with Wash Drops and finally waxing when the Duster doesn't move easily. Before waxing I wash with Formula 1 wash n shine.

Quote:
1. Collinite 476 or 845? Do they both give a similar result? - I do not need show car kind of gloss, but need slickness and little shine. Mine is a Wine Red Scorpio and there is hell of difference with and without wax. If 845 can give the little shine I want, I will go with it as it is much easier to apply and I do not have to buy a polisher
845 will give you long lasting protection and shine. As HO has pointed out, and our discussions yesterday, 476 is the solid form of 845. The advantage 845 has over 476 is ease of application.

If you want deeper gloss, Id suggest, get the 915 too. So add 845 as first layer and after buffing, apply 915 to get the supreme gloss. This way you get protection of 845 plus gloss of 915. IIRC, I think Captain Slow used to apply 915.

Quote:
Sealants will give you even better reflections than wax especially the top rated ones. I recently experimented with Collinite and WOlfgang Deep Gloss paint sealant (read a few posts above) and I felt wolfgang gives better image than the Collinite. Although collinite will probably outlast wolfgang in terms of durability. Have not yet applied Collinite over the sealant. Will do that in a few days. Still have enough sections left on my car to do so.

If you are in Bangalore, you can get the Wolfgang and Blackfire paint sealants from Mr. Nirmal.

Quote:
Yes you can and Ive suggested the 915 for you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for my shopping done yesterday. Raided Mr. Nirmals office for detailing stuff. It was like entering a toy store. He has N number of products and unless you know your stuff, you can actually get confused on what to buy. But he is there to help out with that too, like he helped me choose a compound.

Spent a long time at his place, HighOctane and I. Discussed a lot of detailing stuff. Saw his Flex polishers. Fell in love with it but not the price But really a machine polisher would ease my life 100 times.

So ended up buying a few stuff as usual. Since Im doing stuff by hand, so needed compounds that have a more aggresive cut. Got the industry's most famous Meguiars UltraCut compound D105. One of the costliest compounds in the market, but if I was to create any difference with my hand, I needed an aggressive compound.

Also replenished my APC stock, got IPA also. Mr. Nirmal was kind enough to premix it for me so that its ready to use without me having to recollect my Maths lessons.

The stuff that I bought are :-
1. Meguiars All Purpose cleaner 500ml
2. Meguiars Ultimate Cut compound D105 - 100ml
3. Isopropyl Alcohol to strip the paint surface - 500ml diluted solution
4. Meguiars NXT tech 2.0 wax sample packet
5. Meguiars Ultimate polish Sample packet.

But detailing products are like peanuts. You cannot stop after you've bought one. So now Im thinking of getting 915 wax and also forever BLACk trim restorer.

Here is a picture of the stuff that he has in stock :-
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-120130403_171316.jpg

He has all the products in :-
1. Meguiars DIY and Professional range
2. Mothers entire range of products as in whatever that company makes, he has it.
3. Car Pro Perl trim restorer
4. Car Pro Reload - Spray sealant
5. Optimum Car Care entire range
6. Klasse All In One
7. Jopasu car care products
8. 3m car care products including 3m towels i.e the much talked about blue ones
9. And other items from all over the world. There are so many and its difficult to remember.

I think he has one of the largest range of products in Bangalore and all his products are reasonably priced too and not over the top. And he doesnt keep unnecessary stuff that would not make any sense in the weather conditions here. All selected and best products in the market. Overall had a great time at his place. Its a detailing heaven there. Saw a lot of his finished car pictures and they are just amazing.

Shall I be going back to him again for any of my detailing needs?? You bet. He is not pushy at all about buying stuff and I can spend hours talking to him learning about lot of stuff. And he gives each person his 100% attention.

Peace.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 4th April 2013 at 10:16.
Parthasarathig is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 21:23   #7132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
I read that Collinite 476 & 845 will last for couple of months...
Quote:
Collinite costs 1300+/- change. If applied properly...
Thankyou HighOctane and Parthasarthig,

I will be getting Collinite 845 and sealant for now.

and new questions

You are recommonding ONR Wash and Wax for QD, right? I will be getting ONR once my current QD is exhasted.

You used wolfgang sealant, how long did it last?

If I use collinite 845 on top of Wolfgang sealant, will I get a better shine and protection coupled with the durability of collinite 845?

Does quick detailing once or twice a week reduce Collinites durability? What about car wash?
Old 4th April 2013, 22:23   #7133
BHPian

Quote:
Thankyou HighOctane and Parthasarthig,
Quote:
I will be getting Collinite 845 and sealant for now.
I'd say youd need only Collinite for now. 845 lasts longer than a sealant as pointed out by most people. For enhancing the gloss you can top it up with 915 Marque D Elegance which doenst last long but gives good shine.

Quote:
You are recommonding ONR Wash and Wax for QD, right? I will be getting ONR once my current QD is exhasted.
Yes Im recommending this

Quote:
You used wolfgang sealant, how long did it last?
Since I keep trying out new products all the time, I dont usually get to test the durability of the product as such. But this time Ive dedicated my experiment to not just looks but durability as well. Wolfgang should last you close to 2 or 3 months. The advantage of Wolfgang over Collinite is the reflections appear sharper and the surface stays slick for a longer time. Although, its entertaining to watch water beading on collinite coated surface

Quote:
If I use collinite 845 on top of Wolfgang sealant, will I get a better shine and protection coupled with the durability of collinite 845?
As BHPian mkh has pointed out a few posts back, Wolfgang requires time to cure. A minimum of 24 hours. So you'd only get to top it with Collinite after the sealant has cured.

Since the constituents of Collinite 845 are not clearly known, and it does emit a petroleum smell, Ive a fear collinite may affect the pre coated sealant.

Also you wouldnt get much advantage by using the two simultaneously, as many pointed out, the durability will almost be the same. So cost effective to get either sealant or collinite and not both.

Quote:
Does quick detailing once or twice a week reduce Collinites durability? What about car wash?
I think its the other way round. It should give you another layer on top of the collinite and thus keep the base layer protected longer. This is the reason why I was suggesting a dedicated Quick Spray Wax which you can spray over once a week or once in 2 weeks to not only restore the gloss but also to protect the base layer and give more durability.

Hope this helps to clarify your doubts
Edit

Quote:

Perfect, doubts cleared(for now). Will order just 845 for now followed by ONR Wash and Wax and Wolfgang Sealant later.

Thankyou.
Id say hurry on that ONR. They are giving 10% discount from their facebook store currently and that is some sweet pricing indeed.
Also before waxing you will need to clay down the car once so as to get a clean surface. You may or may not choose to compound it but claying is a must.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 4th April 2013 at 22:33.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 22:29   #7134
BHPian

Quote:
Hope this helps to clarify your doubts
Perfect, doubts cleared(for now). Will order just 845 for now followed by ONR Wash and Wax and Wolfgang Sealant later.

Thankyou.
asdfvinay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 23:02   #7135
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A quality quick detailer should have a protection of its own a little. Usually quick detailers are more aimed at clearing the car surface of smudges, finger print marks, light dirt and give your car that "waxed" look.
A good quality quick detailer will extend the life of your wax and sealant and not reduce it. Read more here - http://www.autogeek.net/quickdetail.html

Another point to note- most manufacturers will want their OWN QD to be used on their wax, it does make some difference but not a rule.

Now coming to a car wash- the most important part of extending your wax is choosing a pH neutral car wash that does NOT strip off the wax layer. Read the label and description of the car wash clearly as it should mention that it will not strip off the wax applied. Using a cheap one will take off the wax you have applied and you lose all the effort applied!

Just to check once do this- apply the wax and see water beading on a section. The SAME section wash with your shampoo and dry and check water beading, if its gone then the car wash is to be avoided!!

Any product post detailing should be LSP ( Last Step Product) friendly else all the hard work goes down the drain :(

Last edited by mkh : 4th April 2013 at 23:07.
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 17:14   #7136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
A quality quick detailer should have a protection of its own a little. Usually quick detailers are more aimed at clearing the car surface of smudges, finger print marks, light dirt and give your car that "waxed" look.
A good quality quick detailer will extend the life of your wax and sealant and not reduce it. Read more here - http://www.autogeek.net/quickdetail.html

Another point to note- most manufacturers will want their OWN QD to be used on their wax, it does make some difference but not a rule.

Now coming to a car wash- the most important part of extending your wax is choosing a pH neutral car wash that does NOT strip off the wax layer. Read the label and description of the car wash clearly as it should mention that it will not strip off the wax applied. Using a cheap one will take off the wax you have applied and you lose all the effort applied!

Just to check once do this- apply the wax and see water beading on a section. The SAME section wash with your shampoo and dry and check water beading, if its gone then the car wash is to be avoided!!

Any product post detailing should be LSP ( Last Step Product) friendly else all the hard work goes down the drain :(
Thankyou. Will keep this in mind when I buy the car wash next time. I am currently using Formula 1 Wash and Wax and seems like it does not rip off the was. Any suggestions for pH neutral car wash?
Old 5th April 2013, 23:28   #7137
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thankyou. Will keep this in mind when I buy the car wash next time. I am currently using Formula 1 Wash and Wax and seems like it does not rip off the was. Any suggestions for pH neutral car wash?
I too have been searching for good ones locally- meguiars, dodo juice, sonus( not sonax), bilt hamber are the ones that come to my mind. Only issue is what is available locally since most have had to import. If Formula1 suits you, good!

Last edited by mkh : 5th April 2013 at 23:30.
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 01:30   #7138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Anyone in Viman Nagar who needs a detailing for free...( donations accepted ). PM me and we could meet up over a weekend
Well I am willing to drive from Thane to get such a Job done . On a serious note, I actually have a 6 month old Duster (The Car and not a piece of cloth) and have been trying to get onto the DIY bandwagon.
Have bought a Jopasu Duster and looking for advice to sart with at least weekly wet wash with some shampoo. HighOctane has been kind enough to share some tips regarding brands.
Request you to provide some tips, suggestions which i should be careful of.
Thanks!!
Old 6th April 2013, 10:28   #7139
BHPian

I waxed my car two weeks back and then parked it in office(open parking) and went home for a holiday.
On my return,i find the car covered with dust and grime,bird poops,leaves,water marks of the settled dust and water mixed(it rained). Took the car for a wash and to my utter surprise the water was still beading(except the roof) and the car was back to its shiny self in minutes. This wax can really hold on in these harsh indian climate.

The wax used is made in india ,made for india,the original waxpol orange tin.

Btw try this for a super mirror finish.After waxing the car with ur regular exterior wax,in my case waxpol coat it with an interior wax(i used armorall). Its difficult to buff but the finish and longevity it provides is worth the effort and the car's surface becomes butter smooth to touch. All it needs is a jopasu duster for the next month or so and you are good to go.
Old 6th April 2013, 11:42   #7140
BHPian

Just got off the phone with Mr. Nirmal. The G220v2 Dual action polisher machine from meguiars has finally arrived in India and can be bought from him. Ive been contemplating getting a DA from him for sometime especialy when i got to use his flex in person. He also stocks all the necessary pads and thats a good thing.

Plus it seems Meguiars is providing one year complete warranty on the product. The deal looks good since i was earlier worried about after sales support.

edit forgot to put the pricing. The mrp is around 19k. The price on the website seems to be older price.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 6th April 2013 at 11:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks