Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2013, 09:21   #7111
BHPian

Can some one guide me to find a decent car wash/detailer in gurgoan? At least a good car wash?
Old 30th March 2013, 19:28   #7112
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The Video is shot upside down and I have to fix it before posting.
Fixed the video - the SKIL pressure washer is at work, as is the Collinite 845 contributing to great water beading.

Last edited by blackasta : 30th March 2013 at 19:33.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 00:19   #7113
BHPian

Day 2 of my so called experiment

Did the front passenger door today and the left ORVM and also the bonnet. Got masking tape from landmark at 45 bucks a piece. Some local brand but definitely good product as no adhesive is left behind no matter how much I tried.

So first, here is a photograph to show collinite beading. Managed to draw the New York skyline on the door. :P The last of the three pictures shows a side by side comparo between the waxed and non waxed door. But did not notice much difference. Have I done something wrong with the technique or is it supposed to be like this?

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-0120130330_130212.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-0220130330_130235.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-0320130330_130303.jpg

The surface feels very smooth with collinite and cleaned with jopasu duster today. Not only was it so easy to clean but the duster glided over without any friction. Even to clean out the water, the magic wipe just glided over. I'm just amazed at the beauty of collinite.

Although I love sealant for the ease of application, nothing comes close to the joys of applying wax.

Moving on, applied Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant to the front passenger door. Had thoroughly clayed and compounded the surface. The sealant is so easy to apply very less friction is felt between the surface and the pad unlike collinite. I used up approximately 8 to 10 drops of sealant for the door in 2 coats of sealant. No pics of the process as it is the same as my previous post except that instead of wax, I applied the sealant. One pic while I was waiting for the sealant to haze. A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-0420130330_140333.jpg

Yes I did apply the masking tape to the trim as I noticed the last time that the product spreads on to the trim and becomes difficult to remove later.

While waiting for the sealant to haze before removal, applied collinite to the orvm after claying and compounding.

By now, my shoulder joint was getting numb with pain so decided to rest inside the car for sometime before getting on with the work. Detailing by hand is tough that too in this hot Bangalore weather

Moving on to the interesting parts now. The bonnet. Decided to divide the bonnet into two halves, One for sealant and one for Collinite 845. Pics of the process:-
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-0520130330_145325.jpg
The first picture shows a newbie mistake I did. I split the bonnet into 2 before claying the whole bonnet. Had done a clean with ONR before starting. But lesson learnt. Should have clayed it and then used the tape to divide.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-0620130330_145332.jpg

Covering up the non painted parts such as wiper fluid nozzle and headlamps.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-0720130330_150005.jpg

After having clayed one side of the bonnet, not much contaminants. Did the claying for over 5 minutes just to double check but still not much contaminants. Is this common? There was a lot of contamination on the doors however. Surprised about the bonnet.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1020130330_150032.jpg

After Claying one side.

Now for the defects.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1120130330_150039.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1320130330_150049.jpg

^^ Scratches by kids in the complex. Thank God that family has left the building. It was over a grudge with parking, this man got his son to do such stuff on my car. He has done it on both sides symmetrically as if its his sketchbook.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1220130330_150046.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1420130330_150054.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1620130330_150100.jpg

^^Paint defects all over. Stone chips in the first pic and also swirls all over the paint due to improper cleaning techniques in the past 2 years.

Moving on to the next step - Compounding.

Used the motomax 2k rubbing compound again but this time made quite a lot of passes over the paint till my hands started to ache. Maybe I was trying to emulate machine polishing to some extent, that even the pad seemed worn out after the session. But a quick wash made it nice and fluffy again.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1720130330_151154.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1820130330_151213.jpg

^^Compounding in progress.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1920130330_151220.jpg
^^No effect in swirl removal. Swirls stay as is.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-2020130330_151405.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-2120130330_151447.jpg

^^Bit improvement in the reflections however after removal of the compound with buffing towel.

Onto waxing and sealant application. Applied a coat of collinite and went off to have lunch to let it haze. Initially I had planned to leave one half of the bonnet uncoated with sealant/wax but later planned to give it a full protection and thus applied Wolfgang DGPS. Followed the same method up down and sideways technique plus let it sit for 15 minutes before buffing off. Some pictures:-
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-2220130330_154032.jpg
^^Wax side.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-2320130330_154050.jpg
^^Sealant side.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-2420130330_160828.jpg
^^50-50 shot after removal.

Reflections :-
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-2620130330_160911.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-2720130330_160930.jpg

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 31st March 2013 at 00:27.
Parthasarathig is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 00:43   #7114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Hi guys. Any idea how to get rid of Holi water colour marks from a white car. Couldn't save it from the marks despite parking away from the area of celebration. The marks have fainted after a quick spray of ONR followed by a moderately vigorous wipe by MF cloth, but refuse to go away completely.
You can try some light polishing , not only it will get rid of the marks but will bring back the luster of Paint. Then Seal With a good quality Wax.
NOTORIOUS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 09:46   #7115
BHPian

Wats the diff between rubbing / polishing and teflon coating

My 2 yrs old punto deserves some facial now and also has some holi marks which need to be removed so pls suggest

Also to share since the car purchase i havent got any teflon or waxing done as yet
Old 31st March 2013, 13:01   #7116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit
Wats the diff between rubbing / polishing and teflon coating

My 2 yrs old punto deserves some facial now and also has some holi marks which need to be removed so pls suggest

Also to share since the car purchase i havent got any teflon or waxing done as yet
No such thing as a Teflon coating. It is only a marketing Gimmick.
Rubbing compound removes a small fraction of the Lear coat to level the paint with minor scratches. It is an abrasive.
Polishes are several kinds, some examples being a finishing polish which used to perform a very mild cleaning of the paint and add gloss. Also sets a base for the waxes.
Another one would be correcting polish which is used to remove swirls and scratches. Polishes may be abrasive, chemical or a combination of both.

A two year old car will need some machine correction IMHO if it hasn't been protected all along.
Thereafter, you can maintain it DIY.
Old 1st April 2013, 10:40   #7117

Guys, Eco car care is not selling all Optimum products at their new Facebook shop! http://www.facebook.com/ecocarcare/app_251458316228
Old 1st April 2013, 22:07   #7118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post

No such thing as a Teflon coating. It is only a marketing Gimmick.
Rubbing compound removes a small fraction of the Lear coat to level the paint with minor scratches. It is an abrasive.
Polishes are several kinds, some examples being a finishing polish which used to perform a very mild cleaning of the paint and add gloss. Also sets a base for the waxes.
Another one would be correcting polish which is used to remove swirls and scratches. Polishes may be abrasive, chemical or a combination of both.

A two year old car will need some machine correction IMHO if it hasn't been protected all along.
Thereafter, you can maintain it DIY.
Yes havent got anything done as yet so are you saying that i should just go for rubbing, polishing and waxing and in this sequence?
Old 2nd April 2013, 01:01   #7119
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
Yes havent got anything done as yet so are you saying that i should just go for rubbing, polishing and waxing and in this sequence?
When you get a polishing done there are a few key factors to note
1. The paint has to be prepared well, which means that bonded contaminants removed properly using clay, also tar removed. This means that the paint is ready to be polished.Such bonded contaminants cannot be removed by washing or even machine polish at times.

2. A polish can be of different grades and abrasive levels. Check what is the polish being used. Is it clear coat safe and what make etc

3. The machine used with the polish is very very important and also the pad. A combination of polish,machine and pad determines how much paint is abraded and cut to remove an old layer

Finally once this is done , the fresh layer is ready to be protected- a good quality wax or sealant should do the job!

Please do check what is the experience of the person, material being used and how confident you feel about the explanation before going in for a machine polish.
The market has this word "teflon coating" used mainly because some polishes have PTFE content but then its not a coat that goes onto the paint like what we have on home appliances.
The only protection on a paint that is possible is either a layer of wax, a polymer sealant that bonds and creates a barrier layer or newer technologies like ceramic/glass coatings
Hope this helps you decide what to go in for!
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 09:21   #7120
BHPian

That's an awesome job Notorious.

These Germans are really tricky to work with. Especially if it has that much of swirl and scratch damage.

One thing for sure with these German blacks, atleast the VW/Skoda lot is that the paint fades really fast.

On another note Notorious, I see a black bottle in the reflection in one of the pics. Is it a Menzerna or 3M. Looks like either the Fast Gloss or the heavy compound from 3M.
Old 2nd April 2013, 14:37   #7121
BHPian

Looks like reflections in mirror rather than car. Look at the reflections in the picture with baskets and the guy with black shirt, awesome work.

Mind sharing what products were used? especially for swirt removing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenM View Post
Guys, Eco car care is not selling all Optimum products at their new Facebook shop!
"not selling" or "now selling"? Just visited the link you posted and the Optimum products are listed on the page.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2013 at 14:21. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 2nd April 2013, 22:49   #7122
BHPian

Started taking baby steps towards the DIY journey for car care.
First of all, Fired the guy who was washing my Duster in society as the bore well water used for cleaning was leaving stains on the body (wherever water was not dried completely) and the front chrome grille was an eyesore to look at.
Then, got myself a Jopasu Duster to begin with (Snapdeal:Rs 499/-) and the results were neat (used it today for the first time)
Now the big test is to wash the car on weekends on my own, so need advise for following:
1. what shampoo is advisable (Brand, cost etc) for weekly wash
2. Which wipes to dry the car after wash (Brand, Cost)
3. Any specific wipe / cloth specs for the washing cloth to be used?

Thanks Gurus in advance for the suggestions
Old 2nd April 2013, 23:16   #7123

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Looks like reflections in mirror rather than car. Look at the reflections in the picture with baskets and the guy with black shirt, awesome work.

Mind sharing what products were used? especially for swirt removing.

"not selling" or "now selling"? Just visited the link you posted and the Optimum products are listed on the page.
Sorry, that was a typo, I meant "Now Selling"
Old 3rd April 2013, 00:19   #7124
BHPian

Please suggest a wax which is safe for frequent application, say once or twice a month. I am looking for a wax without any abrasives and preferably some fillers to hide the swirls.

I have used a couple of different waxes but the smoothness does not seem to last more than 10 or 12 days. My car is always covered with a car cover and the rupture may be one of the reason, but the cover is something I can not avoid in the apartment.

Pls suggest a wax(preferably with fillers) which can be safely used once every fortnight.

Thanks.
Old 3rd April 2013, 01:00   #7125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Please suggest a wax which is safe for frequent application, say once or twice a month. I am looking for a wax without any abrasives and preferably some fillers to hide the swirls.

I have used a couple of different waxes but the smoothness does not seem to last more than 10 or 12 days. My car is always covered with a car cover and the rupture may be one of the reason, but the cover is something I can not avoid in the apartment.

Pls suggest a wax(preferably with fillers) which can be safely used once every fortnight.

Thanks.
Use a good cheap wax like Turtle wax super hard shell. This stuff will last for 10-15 days and its very safe. It might not hide all the swirls but its pretty good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks