Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2012, 23:45   #6691
BHPian

I have a dilemma about buying a wax. There is a friend traveling to UK who could pick up the Optimum Spray Wax by the famous Optimum Technologies who are better known for their ONR brand. It would cost about 1500 Indian rupees and Optimum claims one application will protect for up to 5 months. Now we all know that Optimum does not lie. http://www.optimumcarcare.com/owax.php

Or, I could buy Duragloss sealant 105 from BB Impex at the same price but that is not as easy as using a spray wax. I am just unsure whether the guy carrying would have to pay any import duty and more importantly, has anybody tried the Optimum Spray Wax?

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 15th December 2012 at 23:54.
Old 15th December 2012, 23:54   #6692
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I have a dilemma about buying a wax. There is a friend traveling o UK who old pick up the Optimum Spray Wax by the famous Optimum Technologies who are better known for their ONR brand. It wouldst about 1500 Indian rupees and Optimum claims one application will protect for upto 5 months. Now we all know that Optimum does not lie.
Or, I could buy Duragloss sealant 105 from BB Impex at the same price but that is not as easy as using a spray wax. I am just unsure whether the guy carrying would have to pay any import duty and more importantly, has anybody tried the Optimum Spray Wax?
No your friend won't have to pay any import duties. One of my friends carried detailing items worth 9k in INR from the US and paid no duties. I believes as long as the value is less than 25k it is exempt from duty if you're carrying it down.

Duragloss is a paint sealant and ONR Spray wax is a new product which is good for both rinseless wash and for that wax like shine. Its a new product so its not been tested yet. Between the two, i'd buy Duragloss, ideally get both
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 08:54   #6693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
The bosch service center which I visit is in vanagaram...
Thanks. That's a long way away from me!

I bought my washer from a Trade-Centre exhibition. I think the company is T-Nagar based. I believe they will handle repairs --- but I didn't know about routine service.
Old 16th December 2012, 10:13   #6694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
No your friend won't have to pay any import duties. One of my friends carried detailing items worth 9k in INR from the US and paid no duties. I believes as long as the value is less than 25k it is exempt from duty if you're carrying it down.

Duragloss is a paint sealant and ONR Spray wax is a new product which is good for both rinseless wash and for that wax like shine. Its a new product so its not been tested yet. Between the two, i'd buy Duragloss, ideally get both
Thanks a lot. i would go with DG for now and get the elusive Clay Bar that is so hard to buy in India.
Old 17th December 2012, 17:52   #6695
BHPian

Dear DIY Detailers,
Any remedy to preserve rubber parts? Apathy towards these critical parts is costly for out-of-production cars
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc04249.jpg  

Old 17th December 2012, 18:27   #6696
BHPian

The fact that 3M Car Care does not use a Clay Bar during the multiple step pain protection program, makes me wonder why? I also spoke to he store manager recently and he said that is an outdated thing and nobody uses it anymore, that there are better products to remove the contaminants.
Old 17th December 2012, 19:27   #6697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
The fact that 3M Car Care does not use a Clay Bar during the multiple step pain protection program, makes me wonder why? I also spoke to he store manager recently and he said that is an outdated thing and nobody uses it anymore, that there are better products to remove the contaminants.
They did clay my car during the paint sealant treatment for a new car (<3 months old). They were large and random strokes. When I was using their recommended tech wax nxt 2.0, even after claying the car, there were minute contaminants that got transferred onto the cake during application. I would peel the top layer everytime, at the beginning of every application. When I dug for more info on this product, I found out that it has some cleaning elements in it. So what the store manager says is not incorrect. Did you happen to notice what they used as a replacement for claying?
Old 18th December 2012, 19:31   #6698
BHPian

Hi,
Is it safe to use TurtleWax Hard shell paste wax or Waxpol(old orange tin) frequently on the car? Does these contain any kind of abrasives or can I assume they are safe?

I used both of them in the past couple of times and I somehow find Waxpol to give a better shine on my car full of swirls. Is it only my feeling or does waxpol has some kind of fillers? Is there anyone else who prefers Waxpol to Turtlewax?

Thankyou.
Old 18th December 2012, 22:04   #6699
Senior - BHPian

I have extensively used both the products that you have mentioned & was always a satisfied soul with the final outcome. The original Waxpol is the cheapest, no-nonsense wax that you can get & it does protect the paint. The only grouse is the amount of elbow grease that's required to put it onto the car.

The Turtle Wax offers good protection at a reasonable cost & does not require as much effort as the Waxpol.

As for the abrasives, Waxpol doesn't have any, not even a tiny bit. The Turtle Wax product has a very minute quantity but that's just about enough to remove some light oxidation, nothing more than that. Please note that this is not based on any quantified data, but purely my personal observations developed over a use of more than 6 years. In fact, I am a sucker for non-abrasive wax products & I felt that the Turtle product was the best in that price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Hi,
Is it safe to use TurtleWax Hard shell paste wax or Waxpol(old orange tin) frequently on the car? Does these contain any kind of abrasives or can I assume they are safe?

I used both of them in the past couple of times and I somehow find Waxpol to give a better shine on my car full of swirls. Is it only my feeling or does waxpol has some kind of fillers? Is there anyone else who prefers Waxpol to Turtlewax?

Thankyou.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 22:13   #6700
BHPian

hello guys,
I just stumbled upon this link and found 3m Microfiber cloth been sold online, has anyone tried this site or any product from here before?
eMahendra

thanks,
Old 18th December 2012, 22:16   #6701
Senior - BHPian

^^ Why order it online? I bought the same 3M cloth at 3M Outlet, JP Nagar for 107rs.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 22:41   #6702
BHPian

I have tried 3M Microfiber cloth, Sonax and Jopasu MF. Jopasu beats all other towels hands down in terms of water absorption. As good or probably better than a chamois. For waxing and wiping, Sonax is really good. It's much bigger than 3M and very good quality.
Old 18th December 2012, 23:01   #6703
BHPian

Is using a jopasu mf to buff wax of the car a good practice? I had been using these mf applicator pads, but they are small and catch dust quick. Using jopasu makes it quicker and I do get a good shine.

What else can be used to rub the wax off.

P.s. I use collinite 845
Old 18th December 2012, 23:06   #6704
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been using microfibre cloths in the house and the car for almost as long as they have been on sale (originally they were absurdly expensive) and I agree about the Jopasu. That thickness gives it excellent absorption.

(Wondering where all my kitchen cloths had gone, I found a pile of them that our maid had left outside. They are not expensive ones, but still! They and my car cloths/towels had a good time in the washing machine today)
Quote:
Is using a jopasu mf to buff wax of the car a good practice?
I do not know of any task where microfibre is "contra-indicated," as the doctors say. However, as I keep warning, there is a limit to the fabric's magic, just because it is mf does not mean that it can never scratch if you wipe dust with it.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th December 2012 at 23:08.
Old 19th December 2012, 19:25   #6705
BHPian

What products to buy for Paint Sealant

I have been reading and posting on this thread for a while and have decided in favor of Paint Sealants instead of Waxes due to extreme weather conditions in Chennai.

However, I am very confused on what all products I need to do a paint sealant. I have a Duragloss No Rinse Wash and I thought I can just Buy a DG 105 from BB Impex and I am set.
But a lot of posts here talk about using a Clay Bar after washing and now some are talking about a Klasse AIO to be used after the Clay Bar and then DG 105.

Can I please get a conclusive guide to the simplest way to apply a paint sealant? I can buy anything from UK as I have a friend returning in a bit so please suggest all possible brands of products I REALLY need. Things available there but not available in India include Optimum Paint Sealnat, Klasse AIO, Meguiar's Clay Bar and Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Paint Sealant Spray. I don't have time or parking conditions for things to cure so I need to complete the whole process on one shot.

Option 1
1. Wash with Duragloss No Rinse
2. Apply DG 105

Option 2
1. Wash with DG No Rinse
2. Clay using a Meguiar's Clay
3. Apply DG 105

Option 3
1. Wash with DG No Rinse
2. Apply Klasse AIO (I am told it does the job of a clay bar as well as a sealant)

I don't care about shine as my car is already too shiny. I am trying to protect the paint from the elements.

Most Viewed