Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:41   #6586
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Honda Monk, first ascertain how bad (read - scratches or swirls) the surface is. If surface scratches are light and swirls too, a good rubbing compound would take care of it. I have used Megs Ultimate compound and is good. It will certainly not remove the swirls completely but reduce them considerably.
Ideally start with a good wash (ONR or a car shampoo is upto you). Follow this up with claying. Once this is done you can use Megs Ultimate Compund. Top this up with Collinite 845.

Regular maintaince steps

Dusting with Jopasu

ONR mixed 1:16 with water. Spray on the car and wipe it down

Use a quick detailer to maintain the shine (e.g. Megs Quik Detailer costs INR 300)

Waxing can be repeated once in 3-4 months.
Thanks for the reply Arup. I have query on the same

I have read that ONR can also be used (by changing dilution ratio) as quick detailer, ain't it? It is also referred as QD.
Won't ONR remove the collinite layer from the surface?
I think clay is used for removing all the deep settled grime, is it so?

Thanks!
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:42   #6587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
ONR QD is not of much use when it comes to washing the whole motorcycle (I seldom wash car as it's used hardly)

I think I'll opt for Meguiar's Hyperwash & I hope it will be better than Sonax Car shampoo. What say?
ONR is helpful not in QD strength but in the normal dilution (1 oz in 4 ltr of water) with the usual two bucket method is very good for washing car. I use it quite often. But for heavily soiled cars it may scratch paints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
I have read that ONR can also be used (by changing dilution ratio) as quick detailer, ain't it? It is also referred as QD. Yes it can be and it's an excellent product.
Won't ONR remove the collinite layer from the surface? No. ONR is wax/sealant safe.

Last edited by archat68 : 2nd December 2012 at 10:46.
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:54   #6588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
ONR is helpful not in QD strength but in the normal dilution (1 oz in 4 ltr of water) with the usual two bucket method is very good for washing car. I use it quite often. But for heavily soiled cars it may scratch paints.
Saar...I was asking about car wash, not about QD; Even with the 2 bucket washing system, ONR solution gets dirty immediately, if the vehicle is not pre washed with a shampoo or equivalent method. I was asking about a product for pre wash stage.
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:05   #6589
BHPian

Quote:
Saar...I was asking about car wash, not about QD; Even with the 2 bucket washing system, ONR solution gets dirty immediately, if the vehicle is not pre washed with a shampoo or equivalent method. I was asking about a product for pre wash stage.
What I do in monsoon for my heavily soiled car (my white car gets brown by the evening) is mix some shampoo (5ml in 500 ml water) in a spray bottle. Spray the heavily soiled car with this solution. Leave for 5 minutes. Then rinse the car with some water and finally use the two bucket ONR method. Works good. For heavily soiled car pressure washer is the only option to reduce scratches I think. I'm planning to get one soon.

Also, after a good wash with shampoo and two coats of Collinite 845 (with 24 hr gap) washing the muds become much easier to clean by the above method.

Last edited by archat68 : 2nd December 2012 at 11:08.
Old 2nd December 2012, 18:13   #6590
BHPian

Quote:
Added two new products to my kit

a) Meguiars Ultimate Compound

b) Dura Gloss Total Performance Polish 105

For quite some time I've been thinking to add a paint sealant to my arsenal but the availability and pricing of Black Fire, Wolfwang, Klasse was a big deterrent. Thus had to settle for Dura Gloss. Read good reviews about the same from detailing forums. Hence the leap of faith.

Coming weekend will be a good opportunity to put these to test.
Hi Arup,

Please share your review of DG 105 as I am planning to buy it.
Also curious why you chose 105 over 111.
Old 2nd December 2012, 20:38   #6591
BHPian

Grease on car seat fabric

Today, I had to transport my cycle by car (I know, stupid idea) and even with a cloth over the chain, I had grease on my rear (fabric/cloth) seat by the end of the journey. Guys, can you tell me what I can do to get rid of the stains? Can I buy a can of fabric cleaner, would that really get rid of grease? Or should I get it to the "professionals". What would they do differently? Please suggest!
Old 2nd December 2012, 22:07   #6592
BHPian

Quote:
I have read that ONR can also be used (by changing dilution ratio) as quick detailer, ain't it? It is also referred as QD.
Won't ONR remove the collinite layer from the surface?
I think clay is used for removing all the deep settled grime, is it so?
ONR works as a rinse less wash as well as a Quick Detailer depending on the ratio it is mixed with.

ONR does not remove prewax. To remove them use Megs NXT Car Wash or any equivalent car shampoo.

Claying will remove any bonded contaminants that gets embedded on the clear coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Hi Arup,

Please share your review of DG 105 as I am planning to buy it.
Also curious why you chose 105 over 111.
The #105 is a newer formulation and is supposed to have a deeper/wetter look then #111 which is supposed to have a more traditional plastic sealant look. Both are paint sealants but 105 is newer, hence my vote. Ensure you apply a thin coat and allow it to cure. If you require a glazed finish top it up with any carnauba wax.

Have used it on my ANHC last weekend. Pics here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2975359

Have also used it to do up my wife's Brio. Will upload better pics in a day or two.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 22:46   #6593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Guys,

My car is 8 months old and I have never waxed it, other than a Eagle One spray wax that I use. I doubt it protects anything. I wash with ONR or Duragloss Rinseless wash.

I got the 3M Paint Protection done as soon as I got the delivery and it served me well but it may be wearing off now...
As posted recently, I am very happy with mine after ten months. I intend to stick with the 3m protection system and will return to them as my second year with the car begins.

Why not stick with 3m?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 23:46   #6594
BHPian

Quote:
ONR works as a rinse less wash as well as a Quick Detailer depending on the ratio it is mixed with.

ONR does not remove prewax. To remove them use Megs NXT Car Wash or any equivalent car shampoo.

Claying will remove any bonded contaminants that gets embedded on the clear coat.
The #105 is a newer formulation and is supposed to have a deeper/wetter look then #111 which is supposed to have a more traditional plastic sealant look. Both are paint sealants but 105 is newer, hence my vote. Ensure you apply a thin coat and allow it to cure. If you require a glazed finish top it up with any carnauba wax.

Have used it on my ANHC last weekend. Pics here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2975359

Have also used it to do up my wife's Brio. Will upload better pics in a day or two.
Quoting your complete post as its all relevant.
By going through your ANHC post, things have got clear to much extent.
BUT I exactly didn't get the need of a paint sealant. Ain't collinite 845 good enough for that? For how long does this duragloss stays (no. of washes we can say)?
Also the process below I think is kind of an ideal way (not including the swirl and scratch removal)
1. Clean the car with a good duster (say jopasu for example)
2. Wash it with a good shampoo or ONR
3. Clay to extract all that deep rooted grime (but tat I think depends on surface condition)
4. Paint sealant (If one things it necessary)
5. A collinite845 topped with another good wax.
It's done
I believe I am having a good procedure to follow.
Thanks Arup for making things understand!
Old 3rd December 2012, 08:27   #6595
BHPian

Re: Grease on car seat fabric

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Today, I had to transport my cycle by car (I know, stupid idea) and even with a cloth over the chain, I had grease on my rear (fabric/cloth) seat by the end of the journey. Guys, can you tell me what I can do to get rid of the stains? Can I buy a can of fabric cleaner, would that really get rid of grease? Or should I get it to the "professionals". What would they do differently? Please suggest!
What kind of fabric do you have? If its normal OEM seat covers that can be dried off with no damage, i suggest use Vim Liquid - lemon

It works wonders with anything greasy. You would be able to get rid of all the stains is seconds.

Wet some cloth, apply some Vim Liquid, rub the grease off and wipe it with wet cloth.
VTEC_Rocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:51   #6596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Rocks View Post
What kind of fabric do you have? If its normal OEM seat covers that can be dried off with no damage, i suggest use Vim Liquid - lemon
Yes, OEM seat covers. Wow, VIM liquid ? Wouldn't that create ugly soap+water stains after it dries? Anyway, let me give it a try, I don't have much to lose. I was actually planning to pickup a can of auto stain remover from the accessories shop today.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:03   #6597
BHPian

Quote:
I exactly didn't get the need of a paint sealant. Ain't collinite 845 good enough for that? For how long does this duragloss stays (no. of washes we can say)?

5. A collinite845 topped with another good wax.
Paint sealant is a protective layer that creates a barrier between the paint and any substances that might make contact with the vehicle. They are created with a mix of natural carnauba wax (shine) and artificial polymers (durability). Sealants have a higher melting point thus it needs to applied in a very thin layer much lesser than a liquid or wax paste. Sealant forms a hard barrier around the car, while wax tends to penetrate the paint. Thus sealants are more durable and can withstand washes more effectively than a pure wax.

As far as duragloss is concerned its not the best as I've stated earlier, but its certainly amongst the top 5. Since I too have just started using sealants I am yet to see how durable they are but fellow bhpian el lobo 6061 has been using Black Fire for quite a while. He'd be the right person to comment on the durability of sealants.

Should you use a sealant? - This is something very individualistic. I for one have been using Collinite 476 or 845 (both carnauba waxes) without a paint sealant upto now. My experience is that the wax tends to go away in 4-6 weeks and I had to end up rewaxing every alternate month. Hence I decided to try out the paint sealant. Time will veto my decision.

By the way you dont need to top up collinite 845 with another wax. Its good enough. However if you want to nit pick I'd go with Collinite 915 (Marque D'Elegance). Too much elbow grease if you work by hand.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:15   #6598
BHPian

Quote:
By the way you dont need to top up collinite 845 with another wax. Its good enough. However if you want to nit pick I'd go with Collinite 915 (Marque D'Elegance). Too much elbow grease if you work by hand.
I rather avoid using machine waxing out of apprehensions, so 845 suits me.
Thanks again for the all info. I shall be starting with this after I get my car back from paint shop. Have sent it for bumper scratches and an initial rubbing for all swirl and scratch removal.
Will post with my share of reviews soon.
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:06   #6599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I'll opt for Meguiar's Hyperwash & I hope it will be better than Sonax Car shampoo. What say?
Certainly it should be good and as it has a very high dilution ratio of 400:1, would last for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I use Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner APC in the ratio 1:10(APC:Water) and it cleans leather to a new shine. It would very well clean the seat covers as well without much fuss. Simply dilute it into a spray bottle and spray on & use a brush to agitate to remove the grease/dirt. Wipe off with a cloth, preferably micro fiber.

Only problem being, sourcing it. You could also try using the Meguiars Quik Out Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner, which would easily help in getting rid of the grease.

More about it on Autogeek and you could purchase it from Vicky.in.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:29   #6600
BHPian

Can kitchen cleaners like Easy Off Bang or Mr. Muscle be used for cleaning tyres and wheels? Spray, leave a few minutes and rinse off.

Quote:
Easy Off Bang with its range of Multiuse Power Cleaners offers a complete solution for a variety of cleaning needs across surfaces, be it tough stains or Daily Dirt. It boasts of a unique powerful formula that removes variety of stains across different surfaces that ordinary cleaners, detergent or phenyls can not remove even on rigorous scrubbing.

For removing tough stains, pour Easy Off Bang directly over affected area and remove the toughest of stains with minimum effort. For removing daily dirt, add Easy Off Bang to a bucket of water and remove dirt with ease. Its unique formula retains power even when it is diluted thus removing stains with ease.

It has two variants: Easy Off Bang Lime & Grime Multiuse - that can be used both neat and diluted. It removes tough stains like Hard Water Marks, Soap Scum and Daily dirt with ease. Easy Off Bang Degreaser - that is very effective in cleaning tough Oil & Greasy stains in the kitchen and around the home.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks