Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2012, 13:59   #6541
BANNED

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictactoe View Post
Washing everyday is going to reduce the longevity of your wax and also of any paint selant you have applied. Paint sealants last less than 2 - 3 months if the car is washed everyday. Forget the 1 year warranty - its just a sales talk. However one will have to live with this.
Tictactoe,
Your above comment is more about how many of us are being fooled. Waxes being used in the name of Paint Sealants. I have seen with my own eyes dealerships and others using Formula 1 wax (yellow box), and saying they have used a Rs.5000 paint sealant.

Unfortunately there are people like you who believe the paint sealant has been applied and that is why you conclude the longevity to be 2-3 months. The classic example is TEFLON by Dupont. They mention the TEFLON in bold (blue bottle), and the fine print says contained in a wax.

Let those with proper paint sealant experience share their experience.

For my own experience.

Paint sealants should not wear off until you sandpaper the coating. Especially inorganic film forming ones. Acrylic paint sealants don't have the uv protection to last more than 6 months in India. They lose their lustre and it cannot be regained till you remove them. SiO2 ones are highly recommended by me as they perform in Indian conditions.
Old 23rd November 2012, 14:35   #6542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
Tictactoe,
Your above comment is more about how many of us are being fooled. Waxes being used in the name of Paint Sealants. I have seen with my own eyes dealerships and others using Formula 1 wax (yellow box), and saying they have used a Rs.5000 paint sealant.

Unfortunately there are people like you who believe the paint sealant has been applied and that is why you conclude the longevity to be 2-3 months. The classic example is TEFLON by Dupont. They mention the TEFLON in bold (blue bottle), and the fine print says contained in a wax.

Let those with proper paint sealant experience share their experience.

For my own experience.

Paint sealants should not wear off until you sandpaper the coating. Especially inorganic film forming ones. Acrylic paint sealants don't have the uv protection to last more than 6 months in India. They lose their lustre and it cannot be regained till you remove them. SiO2 ones are highly recommended by me as they perform in Indian conditions.

I have had many conversations with 3M guys as well of number of other service stations offering Paint Sealant Service. I have also seen for myself the compounds being used. Here are my conculsions:

1. 3M uses artifical wax (acralyic resins) as a paint sealant. This is high bonding patented compound which bonds better to the paint surface than normal Carnuba wax. It will possibly last 2 to 3 months. Maybe lesser depending upon your weather and usage.

2. There is no paint sealant product from DuPont (at least I have not been able to locate one in 3 years). There are compounds available which contain TEFLON - a compound by Dupont. These products have better water repellant capabilities (as claimed and possibly true). The longevity of these products is completely dependant upon the base compound used. Generally it would be artificial wax.

3. SIO2 also known as glass coating have much higher longevity. However these tend to crack under heat or in event of dent spoiling the entire vehicle. I believe GTO (if not mistaken) has posted his experience of cracking in one of the threads.

4. There is a third category of paint sealants which are now known as Ceramic coats. Not seen them around. Hence unable to comment on these. But I believe these must be variant of SIO2 sealants.

PS: I dont use paint sealants. Only underbody coat - that too on a new car. For the body I generally go with carnuba wax.
tictactoe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 15:46   #6543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3M uses artifical wax (acralyic resins) as a paint sealant. This is high bonding patented compound which bonds better to the paint surface than normal Carnuba wax. It will possibly last 2 to 3 months. Maybe lesser depending upon your weather and usage.
Our Polo is not stored in the sun, and is only used a few times a week, but I am very satisfied with the 3m coating after eight or nine months. This is even though it has not been waxed.

I know I should have done that, but so far have not got around to it. I do not pay much attention to my poor cars, with the single exception that, as mentioned, I am very careful not to rub dust into the paintwork.

Maybe my lack of attention is why the surface has survived so well
Old 23rd November 2012, 16:00   #6544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
Teflon (technical name is PTFE) is a polymer and as far as I know, cannot be used as a paint sealant. This may give a glossy look to the surface, but this cannot be bonded to the body without proper equipments (requires heating too). Hence the wax is what gets applied to the body and the Teflon contained in it gives additional shine

Quote:
2. There is no paint sealant product from DuPont (at least I have not been able to locate one in 3 years). There are compounds available which contain TEFLON - a compound by Dupont. These products have better water repellant capabilities (as claimed and possibly true). The longevity of these products is completely dependant upon the base compound used. Generally it would be artificial wax.
Water repellent property is one major advantage of using Teflon - also this polymer is inert to majority of the corrosive chemicals found
Old 24th November 2012, 10:52   #6545
BANNED

Quote:
I have had many conversations with 3M guys as well of number of other service stations offering Paint Sealant Service. I have also seen for myself the compounds being used. Here are my conculsions:

1. 3M uses artifical wax (acralyic resins) as a paint sealant. This is high bonding patented compound which bonds better to the paint surface than normal Carnuba wax. It will possibly last 2 to 3 months. Maybe lesser depending upon your weather and usage.

3. SIO2 also known as glass coating have much higher longevity. However these tend to crack under heat or in event of dent spoiling the entire vehicle. I believe GTO (if not mistaken) has posted his experience of cracking in one of the threads.

4. There is a third category of paint sealants which are now known as Ceramic coats. Not seen them around. Hence unable to comment on these. But I believe these must be variant of SIO2 sealants.

PS: I dont use paint sealants. Only underbody coat - that too on a new car. For the body I generally go with carnuba wax.
For a person who has not used a paint sealant and just carnauba waxes, I think your information is more word of mouth.

The world over there is a debate between wax users and synthetic paint sealants. It has never ended as it is a personal choice.

As regards to your information regarding 3M, Glass coating and Ceramics. You have skipped nano coating. Ceramics are generally applied in paint booths and is very costly and needs controlled condition which is more a paint shop job rather than a detailers. Comparing 3M paint sealant to glass coating is like comparing technologies decades apart. Your mentioning that it cracks, well it must have been lamination coating which was done by Miracle who were very popular in India much before your 3 years of getting involved in car protection. Acrylic coatings also delaminate and haze. Try putting an acrylic sheet outside in the sun and check the hazing after 15 days. It cannot shine again by waxing.

There are readers on this thread who are car fanatics. I think you should go through the whole thread and check out results posted by many on their experience with waxes and paint sealants. Rest it is your choice what finish you like and how often you would like to spruce your vehicle. Waxes require more after care than sealants. Both are sacrificial coatings. Just to add to this the latest paint sealant being developed for light colour cars is functional coating. It will keep the car or vehicle dust free (anti-static property), and have the lotus effect (easy cleaning property). The only disadvantage is it is not an aesthetic sealant which would also have high gloss like candy look. For light colours especially this feature is not in many persons priority.
ThinkBig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 14:16   #6546
Distinguished - BHPian

I brought Motomax 2k compound from hypercity sometime back. Did not try it on any car and for a test patch I tried it on an old two wheeler panel. It is very aggressive and will cut a lot of paint even if you rub it with your hand for a small time. Thank God I did not try it on my car. I think it is useful if you need to remove deep scratches or if you seriously want to remove paint from a surface. The aggressiveness will lead to a non uniform finish if one buffs by hand.

Recently ordered two water magnet towels from Xstatic concepts on Ebay. Am pretty happy with the product and it absorbs water very quickly. 1/4th of the cloth was enough to dry my Dio. I think its worth the price.
Old 25th November 2012, 02:07   #6547
BHPian

Boys,

how does one get rid of dried enamel paint (one you use on wooden doors and windows) from the car bonnet?

Also - a contact for a good detailer in Delhi is much appreciated

cheers
Old 25th November 2012, 09:32   #6548
Senior - BHPian

Below results after an attempt at washing and a razor thin coat of Mothers Carnauba wax, last waxing session was over 6 months ago.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang language is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-camerazoom20121125092315425.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-camerazoom20121125092350510.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th November 2012 at 10:06.
Old 25th November 2012, 18:52   #6549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post
Hey Samboy,

There is a R Auto zone in Santacruz (w) i picked up a Jopasu from there. you can go check it out yourself there are a lottt !! of products there even tyres , if the place is far for you , i can pick one for you. let me know.

Regards
Hi Ryan,

Where is this R autozone located in santacruz w?
Old 25th November 2012, 21:20   #6550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
Hi Ryan,

Where is this R autozone located in santacruz w?
Hi, after Ryan said it's there I googled it and found below.. I have not called them yet as I don't have any immediate need but you check them out...

Relaince Mart, Acme Mall, Khira Nagar, S V Road, Santacruz West, Mumbai - 400054 | +(91)-(22)-26600203
samyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 14:03   #6551
BHPian

Got my jopasu combo pack delivered on saturday. Good service by snapdeal.com delivered in 48 hrs. cost 749/-
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-snapdeal.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-jopasu1.jpg
Used it to dust the car on sunday afternoon. Good results. Am happy with it.

I have a few questions to ask you guys
A biker hit on my rear bumper caused this to happen.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-rear-bumper.jpg

Repainting the bumper is going to cost a bomb. Plus I may not get the same factory finish from the workshop guys.
Can we lower the visibility of the damage by using a compound like megs UC etc.
Tried on website of com-paint for touch up paint for VW Shadow blue. Seems they do not have Shadow Blue color available yet.
Anybody here ordered any touch up pens/spray cans from abroad? How to get these exact OEM paint color P6P6 ?

Also on diwali night a lot of children were bursting crackers near the car, which might have led to this as I found out the next day morning.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-chipped-rhs.jpg
Paint work seems to be chipped off. How to deal with this?

Also the my regular car wash guy seems to really have messed up with the paintwork by leaving swirl marks and scratches here and there.
Just take a look at the bonnet.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-bonnet-1.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-bonnet-3.jpg

Seems to be tiny scratch
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-bonnet-2.jpg
I have decided to take matters in my own hands and get rid of the car wash guy now.

How to deal with these swirl marks and scratches?
What products will I need for dealing with this.
I was thinking of megs UC? Will it be too hard for this ?
Car is still new (1 month old) will I require waxing after compounding using megs UC?

Any kind of help will be appreciated from the experts.

Thanks

Last edited by surd_biker : 26th November 2012 at 14:20.
Old 26th November 2012, 14:15   #6552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I brought Motomax 2k compound from hypercity sometime back. Did not try it on any car and for a test patch I tried it on an old two wheeler panel. It is very aggressive and will cut a lot of paint even if you rub it with your hand for a small time. Thank God I did not try it on my car. I think it is useful if you need to remove deep scratches or if you seriously want to remove paint from a surface. The aggressiveness will lead to a non uniform finish if one buffs by hand.

Recently ordered two water magnet towels from Xstatic concepts on Ebay. Am pretty happy with the product and it absorbs water very quickly. 1/4th of the cloth was enough to dry my Dio. I think its worth the price.
I used the Motomax 2k rubbing compound on my Maruti 800. I know where you are coming from when you say it's aggressive, feels like there is fine sand mixed in the paste. But you adjust your rubbing style accordingly. I did not have to rub in too much to get rid of fine scratches & swirl marks, they disappeared right before my eyes.
I think it's a very good product since you have to use minimal force while application, It also got rid of the oxidization & after a coat of Collinite the car was gleaming. My car is 7yrs old now & it looked as good as new. I will post pictures at the earliest.
Old 27th November 2012, 10:31   #6553
BHPian

I had read somewhere in this thread on 'How to remove car monograms' but now unable to find the same.
I would like to remove the 'volkswagen' monogram from the hatch of my polo. Can anyone guide me on how to carry out the same without removing the paint?

Thanking you in anticipation--
Old 27th November 2012, 11:21   #6554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a few questions to ask you guys
A biker hit on my rear bumper caused this to happen.
Attachment 1018568

Repainting the bumper is going to cost a bomb. Plus I may not get the same factory finish from the workshop guys.
Can we lower the visibility of the damage by using a compound like megs UC etc.
Well the biker surely has ripped the paint completely off the surface. No rubbing compound will help in it except making the surface a bit smoother to touch. Megs UC would be your product of choice and its no way gonna damage the surface.

Repainting is damn too expensive. Maybe outside workshop may do it for lesser but the quality cannot be guaranteed. Com paint could help you a bit but nonavailability of shade is another bummer. Its one reason I like my black Vento, even if some color chips off the bumper, color is black so no problem.

Quote:
Also on diwali night a lot of children were bursting crackers near the car, which might have led to this as I found out the next day morning.
Attachment 1018576
Paint work seems to be chipped off. How to deal with this?
That could be worked with UC and surely lower the damage.

Quote:
Also the my regular car wash guy seems to really have messed up with the paintwork by leaving swirl marks and scratches here and there.
Just take a look at the bonnet.
Attachment 1018569
Attachment 1018571

Seems to be tiny scratch
Attachment 1018570
I have decided to take matters in my own hands and get rid of the car wash guy now.
Your car washer needs to be kicked out. The kind of damage he has done on a 1 month old car is terrible. I did suggest you to take the car to 3M Car Care and they would be your best bet. Doing it by yourself would be too much to ask, since you did need to procure many products and still finish wont be attained by hands. 3M guys with their DA would easily take care of all those swirls & scratches.

Quote:
How to deal with these swirl marks and scratches?
What products will I need for dealing with this.
I was thinking of megs UC? Will it be too hard for this ?
Car is still new (1 month old) will I require waxing after compounding using megs UC?
You could procure UC and use it, but you would even require a applicator pad and atleast 2-3 micro fiber also. My suggestion would be have it currently rectified by 3M and then later you could daily use Jopasu to clean the car and QD it with ONR. If any scratches pop up, you could use UC to have it removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I had read somewhere in this thread on 'How to remove car monograms' but now unable to find the same.
I would like to remove the 'volkswagen' monogram from the hatch of my polo. Can anyone guide me on how to carry out the same without removing the paint?
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 20:54   #6555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post

Thanking you in anticipation--
You might want to be careful with this. If the car is old, the area where the 'volkswagen' lettering is present, might not match the surrounding once you de-badge the car. More noticeable in a dark colored car.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 27th November 2012 at 20:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks