Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2012, 15:58   #6256
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
More important, what do i use as the windscreen washer fluid which is more often than not, used to clear the windscreen during rains when the screen is sprayed with muddy water. Can i add colin there too?
I recently started using Sonax 1:100 windscreen additive. To tell you the truth, there's not much difference when compared to using plain water. But it helps in removing bug stains etc pretty well and leaves the glass very clean.
Old 15th September 2012, 17:47   #6257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp
More important, what do i use as the windscreen washer fluid which is more often than not, used to clear the windscreen during rains when the screen is sprayed with muddy water. Can i add colin there too?
When you see muddy water over windscreen, first you need to clean by plain water or car shampoo. Then after drying with MF cloth, you can spray either colin or windscreen cleaner.

My understanding is that, if you use colin, it just cleans your glass to sparkle. If you use windscreen cleaner, it cleans and also it may help your wind screen to slip water when it rains. I use formula1 windscreen cleaner and while washing the car, I notice the water drops will not stay on glass. I also clean car with Optimum No Rinse and this may also help in keeping glass water free.
Old 15th September 2012, 18:22   #6258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane

When you see muddy water over windscreen, first you need to clean by plain water or car shampoo. Then after drying with MF cloth, you can spray either colin or windscreen cleaner.

My understanding is that, if you use colin, it just cleans your glass to sparkle. If you use windscreen cleaner, it cleans and also it may help your wind screen to slip water when it rains. I use formula1 windscreen cleaner and while washing the car, I notice the water drops will not stay on glass. I also clean car with Optimum No Rinse and this may also help in keeping glass water free.
Thanks. Is OnR in QD guise good to use on glass too? I also read earlier on the forum that someone is using it as a dashboard cleaner and protectant. Is ONR that versatile and recommended for all of this?

Can I also use a small quantity of ONR in the windscreen washer fluid?
Old 15th September 2012, 18:39   #6259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp

Thanks. Is OnR in QD guise good to use on glass too? I also read earlier on the forum that someone is using it as a dashboard cleaner and protectant. Is ONR that versatile and recommended for all of this?

I've used meguiars QD on the windscreen and that is effective. I can see raindrops just bounce off the windscreen. If you have meguiars QD you can try that.
Old 15th September 2012, 18:43   #6260
Senior - BHPian

I would like to thank shashank.nk for recommending WD-40. It works like magic. All the tar marks on the doors are completely gone and my i20 (white) is actually shining away to glory. The shine is mainly because all the dirt spots are gone and the car is very clean now. I am happy.
I also got a pouch of Armor All Extreme tire shine. I have put it and will see in the morning how extremely it has made the tires shine . I would recommend WD-40 to all though.
Old 15th September 2012, 19:50   #6261
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, ONR in QD form (1:16) can be used on Glass (though I have not tried ONR QD on glass) and it may make water to roll of the wind screen. I will try this tomorrow and thanks for this question. ONR is versatile on any part of the car, but I do not suggest using on interior plastic such as dashboard. A good Dash Board cleaner will take care of cleaning + fresh plastic feel.

Quote:
While spaying the water through washer to wipe the windscreen, you will waste lot of water. Why waste ONR ? Save it for cleaning the car.
Old 15th September 2012, 19:54   #6262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane

A good Dash Board cleaner will take care of cleaning + fresh plastic feel.

While spaying the water through washer to wipe the windscreen, you will waste lot of water. Why waste ONR ? Save it for cleaning the car.
Any suggestions for the dashboard cleaner? Let me know how the ONR on windscreen works. Will then just use that.

I will then continue to use shampoo(regular hair wash type)/ Colin as part of washer fluid.
Old 15th September 2012, 20:04   #6263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions for the dashboard cleaner?
To make dash look new with a matte finish and a bit smooth.
1. Wipe off dashboard with a moist microfiber cloth.
2. Use a applicator pad and spray some Meguiars Natural Shine Spray onto it and not directly on to the trim
3. Apply onto the plastic and rubber trim using applicator pad
4. Then use a fresh clean microfiber cloth and just wipe off to remove any excess to reveal a nice matte look which also adds a layer of protection using 3M Scotchgard technology.

You can purchase it from nearest 3M Car Care for Rs. 570 with bill.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 15th September 2012 at 20:06.
Old 15th September 2012, 20:33   #6264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061
To make dash look new with a matte finish and a bit smooth.
1. Wipe off dashboard with a moist microfiber cloth.
2. Use a applicator pad and spray some Meguiars Natural Shine Spray onto it and not directly on to the trim
3. Apply onto the plastic and rubber trim using applicator pad
4. Then use a fresh clean microfiber cloth and just wipe off to remove any excess to reveal a nice matte look which also adds a layer of protection using 3M Scotchgard technology.

You can purchase it from nearest 3M Car Care for Rs. 570 with bill.
This sounds good. Will get it from 3m/online. Hate the shiny/somewhat oily finish which I get after the car comes back from service.

Another noob question: the tire foam are meant only for cosmetic purposes or do they have a hand in longevity of the tire too?
If only cosmetic, how long will it last given the bad state of road/water filled potholes we have
Old 15th September 2012, 22:40   #6265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
question: the tire foam are meant only for cosmetic purposes or do they have a hand in longevity of the tire too?
If only cosmetic, how long will it last given the bad state of road/water filled potholes we have
What I have read since I started taking keen interest in detailing as a hobby, that using tire gel/foam/liquid prevents tire from becoming hard over a period of time.

A detailed car with a cleaned tire with a nice semi-gloss will give superb look compared to an non detailed tire, without a doubt.

From whatever I have read, the best tire shine on market is Meguiars Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Spray costing Rs. 972. Few of us may have also known of Endurance tire spray from Meguiars but only the name sounds promising but not the product. Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Spray wins hands down.

Application:
1. Spray directly onto a clean tire.
2. Use a clean applicator pad to thoroughly spread it all over the tire to prevent any dripping.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 15th September 2012 at 22:42.
Old 16th September 2012, 10:28   #6266
BHPian

Quote:
Another noob question: the tire foam are meant only for cosmetic purposes or do they have a hand in longevity of the tire too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
What I have read since I started taking keen interest in detailing as a hobby, that using tire gel/foam/liquid prevents tire from becoming hard over a period of time.

A detailed car with a cleaned tire with a nice semi-gloss will give superb look compared to an non detailed tire, without a doubt.

From whatever I have read, the best tire shine on market is Meguiars Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Spray costing Rs. 972.
I'm also big believer of tire and fender adds big value to the car detailing. Every time I detail my car I spend good amount of time in taking care of it.

Last 6 months I'm using Mequiars Hot Shine High Glass Tire Spray, It's really good one. Only recommendation is clean the tire with good tire cleaner and then apply. The shine last long for atleast 2-3 weeks if it's not raining. I have read, it adds the life to tire. I clean fender with mothers brush which I use for tire and alloy.

Recently I have also started polishing alloy wheels also. Also noticed just spraying water mixed ONR in alloy also gives good shine.

Another product in wishlist is "Adam's Invisible Undercarriage Spray" this for taking care of fender.

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 16th September 2012 at 10:35.
Old 16th September 2012, 19:37   #6267
BHPian

Wanted to do my first detailing session today, however household chores kept me away. Got back only at 6 and had no time for the complete process. Was itching to try the new products I had got, so made QD using the ONR, put into a spray bottle, got a couple of mf cloth and went on to clean the car.

Couldn't really see the difference as it was dark by the time I finished. Will see if there is any change tomorrow. Planning to do shampoo wash and collinite on Wednesday.

I have also let go of the car cleaner
Old 16th September 2012, 20:59   #6268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
I clean fender with mothers brush which I use for tire and alloy.
Is this brush any different from what we get locally here ? I'm comparing this to what we get locally for household use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I would like to thank shashank.nk for recommending WD-40. It works like magic. All the tar marks on the doors are completely gone and my i20 (white) is actually shining away to glory. The shine is mainly because all the dirt spots are gone and the car is very clean now. I am happy.
I also got a pouch of Armor All Extreme tire shine. I have put it and will see in the morning how extremely it has made the tires shine . I would recommend WD-40 to all though.
Thank you. I'm glad i could be of some help

Last edited by shashank.nk : 16th September 2012 at 21:03. Reason: added quote
Old 16th September 2012, 23:27   #6269
BHPian

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=255906

Have A look at above link , A Truly Dedicated Guy transforms his new golf into a stunning show car !!!
Old 17th September 2012, 12:15   #6270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Is this brush any different from what we get locally here ? I'm comparing this to what we get locally for household use
Yes, I was talking about this http://www.mothers.com/02_products/90021.html.

After trying with locally available brushes, I bought this one. But still I use bottle cleaner for cleaning inside alloy wheel with help of hydraulic jack.
TopSpeeder is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks