Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 19:10   #6226
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Where did you get them here in Bangalore? I havent been able to source them from the 3M stores nearby (the one in HSR Layout and on Varthur Road at Marathalli).
I got this from US, But I have noticed this available in vicky.in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I did consider this, the only reason I selected cobra was its much bigger (but more expensive too) so should help in drying quickly. These drying towels help dry the car using just 1 cloth is it ?
Yes, One cloth should do. Meguiars may smaller in size, but does great job in drying the car.
TopSpeeder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 19:33   #6227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
I would suggest you to buy Meguiars Water Magnet for drying, I have been using this more than 6 months and I'm more than happy. Normal MF towel won't hep in drying.
Do you remember how much you paid for the Megs Water Magnet. Vicky.in is retailing each for Rs749. Is it available cheaper elsewhere? I need one immediately, the Jopasu MF and others streaks when you try to dry the car. They are good for buffing though.

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 11th September 2012 at 19:34.
Old 11th September 2012, 20:27   #6228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Do you remember how much you paid for the Megs Water Magnet. Vicky.in is retailing each for Rs749. Is it available cheaper elsewhere? I need one immediately, the Jopasu MF and others streaks when you try to dry the car. They are good for buffing though.
Rs. 749 is the MRP of Megs Water Magnet towel and it would be very rare someone offering discount on Meguiars products in India. If Rs. 749 is with shipping its great as any discount further should equal price of shipping.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 20:32   #6229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Fetch collinite 845 from sanjay @ bringingbest , you will get it around 1200 or 1300 and it will be genuine too.

although 845 says its wax but it is a kind of sealant which will protect your car for approx 4 - 5 months and you have to re apply coat after it.

this treatment if do by yourself and done correctly will offer more protection then 3M.
hi a couple of quick questions. How do i apply the thin layer of collinite. by hand or are there special applicators available?

2nd: is collinte enough or do i need to top it up with something like turtle wax?

Also, can the collinite be also used on the bumper and other plastic parts?

I have already enquired for ONR+collinite 845 with bringing best. have also ordered a set of 3 MF cloth from jopasu

edit: read through and figured it needs applicator pads. Do these come with the collinite or need to be ordered separately?

Last edited by funkyp : 11th September 2012 at 20:59.
Old 11th September 2012, 20:57   #6230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
hi a couple of quick questions. How do i apply the thin layer of collinite. by hand or are there special applicators available?
You need to apply 845 by hands using an applicator pads. You could get Pinnacle yellow foam applicator pad from BBImpex or Meguiars Applicator pads from Exotic Cars, Chembur for Rs. 440 for 4 pcs.

Quote:
2nd: is collinte enough or do i need to top it up with something like turtle wax?
No need to top up 845 with Turtle wax. If you did need extra gloss & protection, you could do a double coat of 845.
Old 11th September 2012, 21:22   #6231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
You need to apply 845 by hands using an applicator pads. You could get Pinnacle yellow foam applicator pad from BBImpex or Meguiars Applicator pads from Exotic Cars, Chembur for Rs. 440 for 4 pcs.

No need to top up 845 with Turtle wax. If you did need extra gloss & protection, you could do a double coat of 845.
Thanks! can collinite be also used on the bumpers?

now that i am hooked to start detailing, how about the interiors? what is required to keep them clean and in top condition
Old 11th September 2012, 22:12   #6232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! can collinite be also used on the bumpers?

now that i am hooked to start detailing, how about the interiors? what is required to keep them clean and in top condition
If you don't mind a newbie answering your query, then here goes :

Your Swift has body colored bumpers right ? Collinite 845 can be used

For interiors you'll need a good cleaner(for fabric/leather/plastic etc) Use a cleaner to clean any stains or dirt that might have accumulated. Once cleaned, apply any good protectant to maintain/restore that original shine your car came with
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 00:43   #6233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp

Also, can the collinite be also used on the bumper and other plastic parts?

I have already enquired for ONR+collinite 845 with bringing best. have also ordered a set of 3 MF cloth from jopasu

edit: read through and figured it needs applicator pads. Do these come with the collinite or need to be ordered separately?
Okay more confusion. I was speaking with Sanjay of by impex for ONR and collinite. He however does not recommend using the ONR for cleaning before using the wax as the wax will not bind well. Recommended is a regular car shampoo followed by wax. Then quick detailing using ONR.

So now I need recommendations for a good car shampoo, and a way to wash the car without having access to a water hose.

Also prices quoted are: 1095 for collinite 845 ( one free mf), 695 for ONR 8oz. Bigger bottles of ONR not available. Should I wait it out for stock to arrive or will 8 oz suffice
Old 12th September 2012, 08:22   #6234
BHPian

I am also a newbie in car detailing. From all the posts i read i am biased towards collinite.
And planing to order from sanjay as that is the cheap and reliable option available(Ebay prices are high). Bhpians from Bangalore is there any place in Bangalore where i can get this?
And does is comes with applicator pad or i need to get it separately?
Old 12th September 2012, 08:45   #6235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Okay more confusion. I was speaking with Sanjay of by impex for ONR and collinite. He however does not recommend using the ONR for cleaning before using the wax as the wax will not bind well. Recommended is a regular car shampoo followed by wax. Then quick detailing using ONR.

So now I need recommendations for a good car shampoo, and a way to wash the car without having access to a water hose.

Also prices quoted are: 1095 for collinite 845 ( one free mf), 695 for ONR 8oz. Bigger bottles of ONR not available. Should I wait it out for stock to arrive or will 8 oz suffice
What he said is true to a certain extent. You can't use onr on a car that is covered in muck and lots of dirt. It must be used only in case of light dirt. Onr is best used as a quick detailer.

For shampoo, I would suggest sonax gloss shampoo or away car wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm
I am also a newbie in car detailing. From all the posts i read i am biased towards collinite.
And planing to order from sanjay as that is the cheap and reliable option available(Ebay prices are high). Bhpians from Bangalore is there any place in Bangalore where i can get this?
And does is comes with applicator pad or i need to get it separately?

You have to buy applicator pad separate. You can order online meguiars pads. The link is given couple of pages back.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 12th September 2012 at 08:49.
Old 12th September 2012, 12:31   #6236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Definitely. Seeing how hard it is to get good clay bars in India i would definitely suggest you go for it and post your experience here.
I Have Ordered it and it will be with me till tomorrow , and will post experience till this weekend
Old 12th September 2012, 12:39   #6237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sanjay is absolutely correct. You need to wash using a car shampoo and then clay and finally wax the car. Use ONR in the ratio 1:16(ONR:Water) as a quick detailer every day to keep the car gleaming new.

Use 3 buckets, first one for making the shampoo, second one for rinsing the wash mitt and third containing clean water to wash the surface affter you have washed the car with shampoo.

Quote:
Bigger bottles of ONR not available. Should I wait it out for stock to arrive or will 8 oz suffice
PM'ed you regarding it.
Old 12th September 2012, 12:49   #6238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can manage without access to a water hose. All you need is two buckets, one bucket will have car shampoo+water, the other bucket will have plain water.Even when using a rinseless wash (ONR wash) you need 2 buckets in the same arrangement.

Use either a wash mitt or a clean MF to clean your car. Dip the MF in the shampoo bucket, clean one panel at a time and then dip it back into the plain water bucket to get rid of any dirt you might have picked up. Its also a good idea to wring the MF dry after cleaning a panel and before dipping it into plain water bucket.

Ensure no dirt particles are stuck to the MF cloth when you put it back onto the paint surface to prevent swirls.
Old 12th September 2012, 15:58   #6239
BHPian

Quote:
He however does not recommend using the ONR for cleaning before using the wax as the wax will not bind well. Recommended is a regular car shampoo followed by wax.
Using ONR before waxing will not bind wax well ? How can this be ?
Before polishing or waxing, we use ONR as a lubricant for claying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk
You can manage without access to a water hose. All you need is two buckets, one bucket will have car shampoo+water, the other bucket will have plain water.Even when using a rinseless wash (ONR wash) you need 2 buckets in the same arrangement.
After dusting with Jopasu, I mix 4ml ONR into 1ltr of water spray bottle and spray throughly. Then just wipe it with MF cloth. I do not use buckets of water while cleaning with ONR.

Last edited by HighOctane : 12th September 2012 at 16:03.
Old 12th September 2012, 16:44   #6240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane

Using ONR before waxing will not bind wax well ? How can this be ?
Before polishing or waxing, we use ONR as a lubricant for claying.

After dusting with Jopasu, I mix 4ml ONR into 1ltr of water spray bottle and spray throughly. Then just wipe it with MF cloth. I do not use buckets of water while cleaning with ONR.
The thought is that ONR has polymers which bond with the car paint. These will prevent the wax from bonding well with the paint, hence not give a good finish.

I am planning to do the exact thing with onr. Make it into a quick detailer use for cleaning after Jopasu.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks