Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2012, 21:57   #6046
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
Folks, One noob question. How many times a clay bar can be used and how do you make out it is time for a new clay bar.
Clay bar can be used only once. Make multiple pieces. The Megs Clay bar which I use is an 80 gram bar. I have detailed 3 cars by dividing into pieces. However, dont use the same bar for more than one car.
Also remember to knead the bar when you are using it. You can understand it is time to throw the bar (piece) when you feel some roughness and you can also see visible marks. Also, whe you are claying the car you will hear scratching sounds. In case of a clear bar you will not hear it.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 13:50   #6047
Senior - BHPian

If anyone's looking at a Flex DA, here's the latest quotes i got:

Flex XC 3401 VRG
Unit Price: 23,300
VAT @ 14.5%: 3,378.5
Total: 26,678.5 (there goes my dream of buying the best DA)

For those out of bangalore, shipping charges will be extra.

Dealer: Nagswamy associates, Bangalore
Old 1st August 2012, 18:35   #6048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
If anyone's looking at a Flex DA, here's the latest quotes i got:

Flex XC 3401 VRG
For those out of bangalore, shipping charges will be extra.

Dealer: Nagswamy associates, Bangalore
You could even contact Ultimate Detailerz as they too sell it, IIRC. UD would be able to offer you good advice, pads, DiY about the best DA available currently.
Old 1st August 2012, 18:52   #6049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
You could even contact Ultimate Detailerz as they too sell it, IIRC. UD would be able to offer you good advice, pads, DiY about the best DA available currently.
Thanks,didn't know UD was selling it too! Will contact them and get a quote.

Flex DA with pads, compounds will work out quite expensive i guess. Megs deal is inclusive of the UC and pads at 14,288 making it a lot cheaper. Let me work out the total cost and i'll decide
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:37   #6050
BHPian

Gurus, I have got 100ml Meguiar's Speed Glaze and 100ml Meguiar's Hitec Yellow wax(got this loose from the can)
Mine being a one month old car, can I apply Speed Glaze Polish which is measured as #4 in the scale of 10 of Meguiars Cutting compound? (see pic, it shows as light cut#4)
After the polish, I am planning to apply yellow carnauba wax all by hand.
Is it alright?
Old 3rd August 2012, 17:05   #6051
BHPian

Here is the pictures. The mobile app did not attach the pics in my previous post.

Mods: Sorry for back to back post. It was the android app that did not attach pic.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-m8001_speedglaze.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-41chs4wyrkl._sl500_aa300_.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2012, 17:59   #6052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Mine being a one month old car, can I apply Speed Glaze Polish which is measured as #4 in the scale of 10 of Meguiars Cutting compound? (see pic, it shows as light cut#4)
After the polish, I am planning to apply yellow carnauba wax all by hand.
Is it alright?
cut#4 for a 1 month old car is an overkill. I would say wait for 45 days (in rainy season I would say more) till the paint bakes and gases out.

IMO Simple carnauba layer or Insulator Wax (Collinite-845) should be enough for the new car.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 18:39   #6053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
cut#4 for a 1 month old car is an overkill.
Emphasis on the word kill.

Give new paint some time before doing anything to it. Cutting compounds are for restoring old paintwork and correcting faults, not for new paint!

Sometimes I worry that the enthusiasm shown by some people is going to reach bare metal . Oh well, at least they'll have a superb surface for the respray.

How to make a new car look better than new: Get the 3M paint protection done. It feels great to the touch, adds a depth of gloss that is unbelievable, even more wow than factory finish, and it adds a layer of protection. Ordinary care with shampoo and quick detailer will keep it that way. Maybe wax it after a few months.

otherwise, treat new paint like baby's skin!

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 19:41   #6054
Senior - BHPian

What is gassing out? I would appreciate if you could elaborate on it, just wanted to understand what this means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
I would say wait for 45 days (in rainy season I would say more) till the paint bakes and gases out.
Old 3rd August 2012, 21:37   #6055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9
What is gassing out? I would appreciate if you could elaborate on it, just wanted to understand what this means.
Gassing out means allowing the paint to cure so that any trapped air or gas can vent out through the tiny pores of clear coat . If we wax then the wax fills up the pores and the gas builds up resulting in causing bubble pops in the clear coat because of the pressure.

Ideally by the time the car leaves the paint booth and reaches the customer , it would have been cured sufficiently. So no need to wait till a month before you wax. You can start waxing right away.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 23:12   #6056
BHPian

A single clay bar can be used multiple times , till it gets visibly dirty and feels gritty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
?
Speed glaze polish is a product in the category of AIO's - All in Ones which function as a paint cleaner, light polish and have some amount of sealant.

Are you applying it by hand or machine ? Both are fine. Yes, it can be topped up with wax, sealant as you desire. Scale refers to the amount of cut, which can be controlled by the user.

Any new car in Indian conditions would need a paint protection treatment out of the dealer. From a Nano to a BMW, all types of damages can happen in one day even. Its quite common to compound the surface in brand new cars the world over to remove defects and bring the paint up to its fullest potential. Even Ferraris are delivered in less than optimal condition !

The high temperatures used in the baking process in between paint coats at the factory helps in the release of paint solvents. Its advisable to wait atleast a month in the case of aftermarket paint jobs to allow solvents to escape before applying any sealants or waxes.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 08:44   #6057
Senior - BHPian

Yea! New cars are pre baked and the clear doesn't need time to gas out!

You can use polishes and waxes on it as any other paint!

As Nirmal said that, in case you have gotten it repainted, you can still sand it(orange peel) down and polish it after maybe a week! (as the paint is still relatively soft so it makes sanding and removal of sanding scratches, easier!)

you just have to make sure you don't wax or seal it before at least 60 to 90 day cure times!
You can use a glaze like speed glaze! It fills in defects and adds 'breathable' protection!
sohail99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 10:09   #6058
BHPian

What is the difference between Formula 100 washes wax 828ml and Formula1 carnauba wash wax ?
I had ordered the former thinking its better but the seller doesn't have it and wants to ship the smaller one.
Old 5th August 2012, 18:41   #6059
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
What is the difference between Formula 100 washes wax 828ml and Formula1 carnauba wash wax ?
I had ordered the former thinking its better but the seller doesn't have it and wants to ship the smaller one.
Formula 100 washes gives you 100 car washes. Normal car wash. Formula carnuba wash and wax is a car wash with a ligh caranuba addition which gives you shine when you wash the car.

I suggest you ditch both and go for sonax gloss shampoo! Way better than Formula1
Old 5th August 2012, 19:13   #6060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
What is the difference between Formula 100 washes .
[quote=sagarpadaki;2862265
I suggest you ditch both and go for sonax gloss shampoo! Way better than Formula1[/quote]

Either Sonax Gloss shampoo or you can also pick Amway car wash which is environmentally safe too. Economical as well.

Formula 1 is a average brand, nothing exceptional or great about their products. Much better alternatives out there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks