Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2012, 23:39   #5716
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Some products are remarkably cheap while others are exorbitantly costly!!!

Dunno how reliable the site is. Probably those who have used their services can comment.

The all purpose cleaner is really good for carpets and seats. Worth it.
I recently purchased Meguiars water magnet and wash mitt from vicky.in without much hassles. They refunded the extra money since one item was out of stock so please check the availability first from their manager before ordering.
Old 20th April 2012, 05:37   #5717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Avoid Vicky.in for now. While I dont have first hand experience with them there is a thread on tbhp about how awful it is
Thanks for letting us know. Yesterday, I managed to contact 3M's local boss who in no uncertain terms told me that they are not authorized to sell anything to individuals. I suppose this is just the policy in Kanpur, as many people on TBHP in Bangalore, Mumbai, etc. are able to acquire 3M and Meguiars products easily.

While I can understand the concern of 3M if they start distributing toxic and dangerous (sometimes, for DIY use) chemicals to everyone, this monopoly of workshops is just wrong. (The workshop I am referring to is supposedly authorized to provide 3M solutions, but is never able to.) I hope that we will all be able to find an inexpensive, dependable and preferably online source for all 3M and Meguiars products, like Sham (Carpolish) and Sanjay (Bringing Best). Perhaps TBHP members should join hands and persuade both Sham and Sanjay to start selling these products
darthvader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 11:26   #5718
BHPian

Hello guys, I've a query regarding my 2010 Dec Wagon-R (Whilte).
The car met with an accident a couple of weeks back and had to change the bonnet, front bumper and I guess the left front fender too. All the work's done and will be getting the car delivered today. But the S.A suggested me to do a full car polish as it would make all the paint surfaces, newly painted and the old ones, uniform. I'm confused whether to do it or not. But won't polishing remove a coat of paint? And what about the clear coat? Or is it enough to just wax the whole car? I couldn't find proper information regarding this. I request gurus and members to please guide me.

Thank you!
Old 20th April 2012, 15:11   #5719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
But the S.A suggested me to do a full car polish as it would make all the paint surfaces, newly painted and the old ones, uniform.
SA is making a quick one, as the parts have been replaced and have a fresh coat of paint why would it be not be uniform. Check the car thoroughly as mostly the parts are painted in workshop for any difference is color. White can have a lot of shades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
But won't polishing remove a coat of paint? And what about the clear coat? Or is it enough to just wax the whole car?
Polishing or waxing never remove clear coat. Only when you use a rubbing compound to remove the scratches & swirls, it results in cutting of paint/clear coat.

Since the parts changed have been freshly painted, I would suggest you to not to have any polishing or waxing done, as the paint needs to get cured to the surface after fresh paint.
Old 22nd April 2012, 10:13   #5720
BHPian

Finally I got to use my Griot Garage 6" orbital polisher with 25' cord, after almost a year of it's purchase. I also purchased 2 sets of 3 each polishing (orange) and waxing (red) pad.

Yesterday spent a good 4 hours with my scorpio. It was a project in itself to make the polisher work. As it was purchased in US, it is 110 volt rated and I had to buy a 2 kva step down transformer (Maxine) to make it work. Then as I moved into an appartment, had to get a 10 meter extension box made to bring the electric connection close to my car.

With all this done, I started with cleaning the car with ONR. Then as this was my first day at using the polishing machine, decided to use only polish without any abbrassive. So first I used Waxpol Silky touch, spread it on the pad and apply it uniformly on the paint. After this I used Proctectol from Waxpol again to get the mirror finish. This also helped to clear of the excess polish left on some of the places.

The experience was very good as I got to know how easy it is with a Random Orbital polisher and get a hang of the machine. The machine feels heavy once you lift it in a stalled condition but once it starts moving on the paint it is very easy and becomes pretty light. I was able to ue just 1 hand to hold it in position and move it along the body. I have a plan to use the GLO wax polish on my next trial. Unless I am absolutely sure of my work, I am not touching ay abbrassive polishers.

Please feel free to comment as I am novice in using Random Orbital polishers.

Last edited by sudipta : 22nd April 2012 at 10:25.
Old 22nd April 2012, 10:22   #5721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Finally I got to use my Griot Garage 6" orbital polisher with 25' cord, after almost a year of it's purchase.

Please feel free to comment as I am novice in using DA polishers.
Isn't this a random orbital polisher rather than a dual action polisher? That's what I understood from the Amazon page for it.

Anyway, kudos for the effort. Do post before and after close up pictures of your car (I guess you should post twice as many after-polishing images now that you're done ).
Old 22nd April 2012, 10:27   #5722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
Isn't this a random orbital polisher rather than a dual action polisher? That's what I understood from the Amazon page for it.

Anyway, kudos for the effort. Do post before and after close up pictures of your car (I guess you should post twice as many after-polishing images now that you're done ).
You are correct, my mistake....it is a Random Orbital polisher.....

I am lazy with cameras, specially with uploading as I need to resize all the picts before uploading. Also I don't have any before picture so I would just give some current pictures.
Old 22nd April 2012, 12:21   #5723
BHPian

Has anyone tried Motomax cream polish?The pack reads-"For oxidised paints use Motomax 2k". I'm sorry for the ignorance, but are vehicle paints oxidised?

Any reviews wrt Motomax products?
Old 22nd April 2012, 15:23   #5724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
I am lazy with cameras, specially with uploading as I need to resize all the picts before uploading. Also I don't have any before picture so I would just give some current pictures.
Excellent work and motivation for souls like us who use hands instead of DA. Do post some after pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
Has anyone tried Motomax cream polish?The pack reads-"For oxidised paints use Motomax 2k". I'm sorry for the ignorance, but are vehicle paints oxidised?

Any reviews wrt Motomax products?
Haven't tried Motomax. Motomax cream polish is a carnuaba based wax whereas Motomax 2K is a rubbing compound for removing scratches and oxidation of paint.
Hope it helps.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2012, 16:05   #5725
BHPian

Is there a good car detailing shop at kochi?
Old 22nd April 2012, 22:49   #5726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Collinite is just a good sealant even though the package says it is a wax. On applying this, you need to follow this up by waxing and polishing to get the shine you are looking for.
Errr... is it true, are you sure ?
Asking this Qs., as per my limited knowledge, C845 is a wax (arguably the best) and used as the last step, .i.e., post rubbing compound/polish-sealant. C845 contains carnauba and premium synthetic polymers. C845 can even be used on boats to guard against salt water oxidation.
Old 22nd April 2012, 23:06   #5727
BHPian

Collinite 845 is a wax with some amount of Carnauba. However it behaves more like a sealant in terms of longevity.

There is no need to wait for it to cure and can be reapplied almost immediately.

Surface prep is key before applying Collinite 845 or any sealant/wax. Washing, claying, compounding (if reqd), polishing before applying. There are no fillers and it will not hide swirls.

All in all, an excellent product that has a slight learning curve, but offers very good value for money

Motomax products are all way below average. Best to avoid.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 08:35   #5728
BHPian

Here's what 5th gear has to say about Car washes Vs Jet Wash Vs Hand Wash

aghosht is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 11:12   #5729
BHPian

And here's where everything is in one place with a flow chart. Mods may I request a sticky:

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides
Old 24th April 2012, 20:50   #5730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Excellent work and motivation for souls like us who use hands instead of DA. Do post some after pics.

Some pictures taken today. I was not able to capture the close paint details. Let me know if there is a specific way that I need to take the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dscf2487.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dscf2488.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dscf2489.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dscf2490.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dscf2491.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dscf2492.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dscf2493.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dscf2494.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks