Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 13:52   #3676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Megs, TurtleWax(Many TW products we don't get here) stuff + some other waxes and other great stuff is available at 'Ace Hardware' outlets - ACE

This might help too - evolve.ae • View topic - Meguiars products
Did not know ACE stocks care care products. Will surely go there.

Quote:

Its like super expensive there!!! (I could've gotten double the stuff had I ordered it via autogeek!!)

Here's the Megs counter at the Ace hardware store!! I had never in my life seen megs, TW and other detailing stuff stacked like that so I took a pic!
When you say super expensive is it more than what you'd pay if ordered online?

Edit: I think you already answered the question. I need to read more carefully.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 20th October 2010 at 13:53.
Old 20th October 2010, 16:01   #3677
Senior - BHPian

I saw a Megs aggressive clay bar there for like AED150!! That is like $40!!
I really needed it for some super neglected cars that I had to work on!

At Autogeek.net you get it for like $25-26

The smooth surface clay kit was also for ~ AED130-150!! Totally not worth it!

The UQD standard bottle(650ml) was more expensive than the Megs 1litre QD bottle(maroon color)!!
I was literally like WTH!

The only advantage in bringing stuff from there is that you don't need to worry about shipping/customs etc. which is quite a good thing!
Old 20th October 2010, 16:49   #3678
Senior - BHPian

Guys, my relative will be flying down from Canada soon. I would appreciate if you can help me with the Detailing products I can ask him to bring over. The list is endless I know but I've been strictly instructed to keep it limited. I'm basically looking at a DA, Clay Kit, Swirl Remover, Wax etc. You guys know better, please help .

Thanks.
Old 20th October 2010, 16:54   #3679
BHPian

Can someone compile a detailed document on using a DA/Orbitor. I've seen so much information that my head is spinning.

My driver mentioned that he saw the guys in the Toyota showroom use a DA. So just wanted to know.
Old 20th October 2010, 22:38   #3680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Guys, my relative will be flying down from Canada soon. I would appreciate if you can help me with the Detailing products I can ask him to bring over. The list is endless I know but I've been strictly instructed to keep it limited. I'm basically looking at a DA, Clay Kit, Swirl Remover, Wax etc. You guys know better, please help .

Thanks.
Tsk13- The Flex 230V kits are available at Autogeek, you might want to check the duties from the US to Canada (they might be high) Also you can check for the availability of the Megs 220 V kit by googling the Megs Canada site & others.

You can look at getting the foll which will take care of your basic needs :

- Clay kit
- Megs UC & Swirl X (if you're getting the DA you can also go with Megs 105 & 205, they will serve the same purpose)
- Foam pads (mix of cutting pads, buffing pads, waxing pads)
- California duster
- Lots of MF towels - multipurpose & buffing
- Wash mitt - Lambswool/MF
- Sealants & applicators (MF/foam)

This should keep your weight down too !

Quote:
I saw a Megs aggressive clay bar there for like AED150!! That is like $40!!
I really needed it for some super neglected cars that I had to work on!

At Autogeek.net you get it for like $25-26

The smooth surface clay kit was also for ~ AED130-150!! Totally not worth it!

The UQD standard bottle(650ml) was more expensive than the Megs 1litre QD bottle(maroon color)!!
I was literally like WTH!

The only advantage in bringing stuff from there is that you don't need to worry about shipping/customs etc. which is quite a good thing!
Thanks for the pics Sohail, some details about the green APC please ?
The prices are insane !! Its no wonder people from all over the world order from Autogeek !! Wow, what a shelf of products, heavenly ! i would have stood & drooled away to glory, hope some guys at Meguiars are reading this & answer our prayers soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Can someone compile a detailed document on using a DA/Orbitor. I've seen so much information that my head is spinning.

My driver mentioned that he saw the guys in the Toyota showroom use a DA. So just wanted to know.
Brix - There are basically 3 types of machines

- Dual action - Free rotating (Porter cable/Megs)
The Megs 220 that Notorius has got is this type. Its perfect for beginners too, with good results possible.

- Dual action - Direct drive & forced oscillation (Flex)
Sort of like a hybrid DA, with more power. The Flex 3401 i use is this. Can be used by newbies without any issues.

- Rotary - Direct drive rotation. (Flex, Makita, Dewalt)
Most powerful & recommended to be used by experts only. If used improperly, high risk of burning the paint

Good technique & the products used are also important. You can see the instructional videos by Mike Phillips on Autogeek or Youtube. I gained immense knowledge on how to use the Flex & was able to achieve results which surprised me !!

Here are links to some good videos :

Swirl removal (3 parts):
YouTube - autogeek's Channel

Any more doubts, we are happy to help !

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 20th October 2010 at 22:40.
Old 21st October 2010, 00:15   #3681
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton Nirmal. I'll check Autogeek and PM you soon, shall be requiring your help. Which DA should I look for, Notorious one or the one you've?

Last edited by tsk13 : 21st October 2010 at 00:21.
Old 21st October 2010, 00:37   #3682
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Another day and the effect gets better

Just came back home, and had my car under the street light. I stopped for fuelling and when i saw the car under the lights,i literally jumped with joy. Those nasty swirls are gone, YES swirls can go. There are random lines and minor ones, but even under the light, very hard to see.
The effect on the areas where a 3rd coat of blackfire was put, made me pull out everyone who was seated inside and show them the "whiplash" effect. It was almost like a kid showing off his new toy!
Sorry guys- its next to impossible to capture it on a pic, will maybe get across to Rudra or someone else who knows how to use the camera effectively, but let me tell you- after seeing many cars and having spent hours and hours on getting mine to shine, the effect post a round or two of DA and a couple of coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant beats anything that i have done or seen, hands down. I cannot stop feeling thrilled with what i saw, so much so that got a couple of friends who saw it to ask me to help them clear out their cars of the swirls( i am in business )
The grains are so clear and the finish is very smooth indeed. I am excited and looking forward to doing the roof and the doors now!
Old 21st October 2010, 14:49   #3683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Brix - There are basically 3 types of machines

Wow - thanks Nirmal. I guess I can start with the basics for now. Will PM you directly for more information.
Old 23rd October 2010, 08:25   #3684
Senior - BHPian

A feast for the eyes

I visit this nearby walmart often - and almost every time pass by the automotive section, which is spread over 3-4 aisles.
Thought of taking some snaps of the car care aisle and posting them here (hoping to have aisles like this in India soon).

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-22102010002.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-22102010003.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-22102010004.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-22102010005.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-22102010006.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-22102010.jpg
Old 23rd October 2010, 09:11   #3685
BHPian

Great job

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
every detailer must in his lifetime!
So very true.. I am so enticed to pick one DA but still deliberating on it. I know it is only a matter of time before my mind over rules the brain

Sunday morning 8AM, nirmal stuff to my place( what a friend!)

What a great way to start a Sunday morning.. cup of coffee and planning a car detail session.. Wow.. All I can do is envy you and nirmal

BESCOM ... spoil sport! Talk about timing, the power came back on DOT at 11 AM!

As they say the wait make it more special...
Mohsin the results just look great. I have seen your car already in person and I know how it is maintained.

Great job guys..

Nirmal and Sohail - A big thank you to you folks for encouraging us ..

Regards

Sateesh
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:49   #3686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I visit this nearby walmart often - and almost every time pass by the automotive section, which is spread over 3-4 aisles.
Thought of taking some snaps of the car care aisle and posting them here (hoping to have aisles like this in India soon).
I sincerely wish we have something like this in India.

I have been visiting Pune accessories shops lately and found a couple of good ones.

Carax on Pune Mumbai Expressway near Balewadi bridge looks similar to this. It is being run by the same people of Bhandari Auto Agency, JM Road in Pune. They have a full 3 story building to themselves that houses various things including all the fittings and a couple of small racks like this. Hope things like this start happening to Indian Car Market as well.
Old 23rd October 2010, 12:48   #3687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 442446

Attachment 442447

Attachment 442448

Attachment 442449

Attachment 442450

Attachment 442451

Damn!! now that is heaven!!!

The Dubai aisle also looked like that but was wayy smaller!

Thanks for the teaser pics of a heaven for car care enthusiasts!
I could just stand ther for hours drooling all over the place lol!

I wish I could take my car and live there!

(PS. Scotch guard is a great protectant for car seats! you just put a few layers of that on your seat and it'll become stain resistant and even waterproof!

GC car wash is also great!)

Last edited by sohail99 : 23rd October 2010 at 12:53.
Old 23rd October 2010, 18:08   #3688
BHPian

Anti Rust treatment (under body) for old cars

Dear TBhp friends, I have been researching on whether it makes sense to do an Anti-Rust underbody treatment on a car which is 2.5 years old.

Mainly 2 purposes:

1. Protection against rust: But since the car is 2.5 years old, it may already have some rust. So will the treatment protect if applied on top of the old surface?
2. Sound deadening effect: I think this will work. But is the difference substantial to spend 3.5K on this treatment?

Can someone through some light on this pls?
Old 23rd October 2010, 19:52   #3689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTviN View Post
Dear TBhp friends, I have been researching on whether it makes sense to do an Anti-Rust underbody treatment on a car which is 2.5 years old.

Mainly 2 purposes:

1. Protection against rust: But since the car is 2.5 years old, it may already have some rust. So will the treatment protect if applied on top of the old surface?
2. Sound deadening effect: I think this will work. But is the difference substantial to spend 3.5K on this treatment?

Can someone through some light on this pls?
This is a wrong thread you are looking at. Please search and post in the appropriate thread.
Old 24th October 2010, 11:47   #3690
BHPian

Quote:
I just wet my pants.

Love America for that. Unlimited variety PLUS cheap price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks