Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2010, 15:23   #3451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
@ nirmal : Great , please share the cost breakup. how much time it took in total to reach the consignment to india ??

@ blackasta : have seen this detailing way also and even talked to some higher ones , the minimum investment needed for all tools and accessories are 5lakhs !!!

+ there wont be any garantee of cars comming to your way if do dont invest a huge amount in advertising.

+You have to get training in surat (meguirs) and it will cost any where between 50k to 100k foe a week training !!!

afrer keeping all this in mind, i have kept my detailing limited for my cars or my friends cars only !!!

Not my cup of tea - unfortunately !
Also in US - Meguiars only holds its classes in Irvine, CA. nothing on the east coast.
Old 30th September 2010, 15:34   #3452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Not my cup of tea - unfortunately !
Also in US - Meguiars only holds its classes in Irvine, CA. nothing on the east coast.

Yup , i cant spend that much and thats why i said that i have kept my detailing limited for my cars or my friends cars only !!!
Old 30th September 2010, 17:05   #3453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Sohail - The new place looks nice, lots of room to move around ! I Liked the nice lawn, serves dual purposes - to relax after detailing & also useful to take reflection shots
Awesome results with the before & after Can you please share with which make of foam pads did you use ?

Btw, finally my consignment from Autogeek was delivered yesterday !
I got the following :

1. Flex 3401 DA kit with the Megs twins (105&205) 2 Cobra MF's.
2. Lake country CCS pads - got a mix of Orange, black, white, blue & red ones. (Thanks to Garipagol for the inputs !)
3. Megs 36 mm masking tape
4. Megs water magnet drying towel

First impressions :

- Flex DA, all that i heard about it being built like a tank are misleading.
It IS a Tank !!! Typical solid German build, built to last.
- Useful packing by Autogeek of the pads, each one comes with an individual plastic cover, mentioning the usage directions too. Informative booklet from Lake country explaining a bit about the pads was included too.
- Cobra Mf's are nice & thick, look like they're quite durable.

Next Plan of action :

- Have to figure out a way to get extension wiring done to work in the apartment basement. Will need to take a connection from my house on the ground floor.
Garipagol - please do share some inputs about the grade of wiring you used for your Flex & also any other points i need to keep in mind ?
- Am thinking now which car do i first work on ?!

My cats were wondering whats going on as I had to borrow their couch. My fellow not looking too happy having to share their couch !!

Really nice!!

loads of pads there!!

but you might need yellow cutting pad to properly cut with M105 considering BMW also use ceramiclear clearcoats.

Btw you can also get masking tape locally(3M), for cheap.

I used a lake country yellow cutting pad with M105 during compounding and white polishing pad with menzerna.

In your case you can use either black or white pad with M205.

You can also use the black pad for AIO polishes like the colorX that you have already.

For one step products I have a green polishing/finishing pad.

I also wanted to try their hydro tech pads!!(as they're kinda thin and easy to work with)

btw the red ccs pads are like super fluffy! You'll have a great time with them applying LSP!.

IMPORTANT - Be careful with the Velcro backings on these pads. If not taken care of, they may separate from the foam.

Dont machine wash them, don't use a strong detergent(might remove the adhesive), for easier cleaning keep a detergent bucket ready while detailing and just toss soiled pads in there and let em soak.

After finished detailing, use a old toothbrush to agitate the foam and clean and DRY in the sun with the velcro facing upwards(so that the water doesn't weaken the adhesive)

there are loads of other drying techniques like folding them in a waffle weave towel like the water magnet one you got, and pressing them so that all the water is absorbed by the towel.

And watch loads of vids(I bet you've already done that!)

Cant wait to see your gleaming black beauty!
Old 30th September 2010, 17:20   #3454
Senior - BHPian

Guys what DA + accessories should I pick up from USA?

I guess I would need:

DA
pads
compounds

Request your input please.
Old 30th September 2010, 18:31   #3455
Senior - BHPian

The only DA there that runs in 230V regions is Flex 3401!

For pads, you can get Lake country or Meguiars(Megs are a lil' more durable and are machine washable. I've heard that their velcro backing is super strong and the new ones are not affected by even the strongest detergents!(omg! I feel like getting them! lol))

Lake country have a a pad for every requirement like compounding, polishing, finish polishing, AIO application, sealing, jeweling etc.

For a hatchback, you need at least 2-3 pads each of a single type.

If getting lake country, you can get 2-3 yellow cutting pads for compounding(Compounding is mostly done to remove sanding scratches during refinishing a repainted panel or on extremely neglected paint finishes)

Orange light cutting pads, if you don't need super aggressive compounding and just need to remove moderate paint defects.(you can use UC with this too!)

2-3 White polishing pads for polishing out minor defects that don't need aggressive cut!

2 black pads, for finish polishing or jeweling the paint to a super high gloss

2 or 3 red pads for sealant wax application.

You can find more info and other products here - Lake Country 6.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack - Your Choice!

Compounds/polishes -

You can go with Meguiars twins(M105 and M205). They are used by loads of people and have superior results!!

Do try to get some dedicated pad cleaning powder(Pad rejuvinator or something) and a Pad conditioner(Pinnacle XMT line makes them)

This looks like a nice kit - FLEX XC3401 VRG Orbital Polisher Kit with Free FLEX Polisher Bag, FLEX Dual Action Polisher and storage bag, FLEX bag kit (Make sure that its the 230V unit!!!)

You can order additional pads form the above link!

While you're at it, maybe you can buy 2 grit guards for enhancing your wash technique!

Man, I cant stop!!
If I was there, I'd be bankrupt by now! lol!

Last edited by sohail99 : 30th September 2010 at 18:38.
Old 30th September 2010, 19:35   #3456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post

Man, I cant stop!!
If I was there, I'd be bankrupt by now! lol!
Sohail - buddy - do you want to make ME go bankrupt?

So I should get:

Flex DA

3 each of:

Yellow Cutting Foams 6.5" - aggressive cutting. Never to be used on my car for now.
Orange Light Cutting Foam 6.5" - scratches (with UC)
Coarse Green Cutting/Polishing Foam 6.5" - swirls (swirlx ??)
White Polishing Foam 6.5" - polish (sonax / megs deep crystal ??)
Green Polishing/Finishing Foam 6.5" - one stop (cleaner wax)
Gray Finishing Foam 6.5" - buffing off
Blue Finessing Foam 6.5” - liquid wax (nxt / collinite??)
CCS Red Ultrasoft Wax/Sealant Foam 6.5" - seems same as blue one
CCS Super Soft Gold Jewelling Foam Pad 6.5" - ???

Methinks I should get the orange, green and white (1 each as part of the kit) and buy the others as well.

Also the pack contains stuff to take care of the pads.

what about this one?

Dual Action Flex Polisher Kit, Lake Country Pads, Flex XC 3401 VRG Buffer

There is a problem though - the flex sold with kits seem to be of the 110 volt type. Only this one is explicitly rated for 230V http://www.autogeek.net/flex-230-volt-polisher.html
But I shall try to replace the kit flex with the international flex (no harm in trying via their helpline!)

P.S: The international version of flex xc3401 costs more than the NA domestic kit packs!!!

Last edited by blackasta : 30th September 2010 at 19:39.
Old 30th September 2010, 19:57   #3457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT - look at the bottom of that page! you get kits with 230V unit too!
Damn! the one you linked is even better!!! It has foamed wool pad for super aggressive defects too! + mf bonnets for easy wax removal! + free red pad!

Regarding pads,

I dont think you need coarse green cutting pad!

You can use swirlX with a black or white pad with great results!

I personally wont use sonax polish with a DA! since its frank liquid, it'll splatter around like crazy and spoil everything(incl. your clothes)

+ After you get M105 and 205, Megs deep crystal and sonax(even UC to some extent) will be a thing of the past! (sometimes you might need UC with hand on areas where you cant work the polisher, like a and b pillar portion of the door. A-pillars etc.

after M205 you will achieve a flawless finish and you will just need to apply sealant!

Green pad is good for cleaner wax(but you wont need cleaner wax if you achieved a flawless finish previously!)

Grey finishing pad - For jeweling with M205 to achieve a super high gloss!

Blue can be used to apply sealants/carnauba waxes and glazes

Red is for sealants and waxes! (essentially the same as blue)

I saw a video where Mike used red, blue and black pads to apply wax!

he said that either of the three can be used to apply wax!(but I'd prefer red ones)

And you need microfber bonnets over the foamed wool or orange or yellow pad(included in the kit you linked) to buff off the wax after waxing with the red pad.

Last edited by sohail99 : 30th September 2010 at 20:03.
Old 30th September 2010, 19:58   #3458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
One question.How is the formula1 tire shiner?Does it give a deep shine or a matt finish?How long does the shine last?
It says post application dont wipe, let it dry naturally in 10-15, till then its shining but then its like matt finish and last depending on the conditions i.e. dusty road, water, mud etc. But in general conditions over a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
TheBeastFieast - Nice collection ! Do consider adding on a clay kit. Its one of the most important steps of detailing. Removing the bonded contaminants & cleaning up the paint surface will help sealants & waxes bond to the paint surface better & longer too !
Indian conditions are too harsh & a whole load of pollutants does settle down on the paintwork daily :(
Yeah Thanks, I am thinking for that Now. Your comment just changed my mind as due to pricing I wasnt considering it.
Old 30th September 2010, 20:02   #3459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Damn! the one you linked is even better!!! It has foamed wool pad for super aggressive defects too! + mf bonnets for easy wax removal! + free red pad!

Hehe - I'm confused already!!

So black, white, grey, green and orange pads with the kit (the red one comes free!)

I guess I have to invest in a good 220 <=> 110 v adapter.

Sohail - are you talking about the highlighted item?

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-pic.jpg

Last edited by blackasta : 30th September 2010 at 20:07.
Old 30th September 2010, 20:12   #3460
Senior - BHPian

A converter for a 900W unit would be huge!!

This one also sees good - Meguiars FLEX 3401 Ultra Polish Kit with 6.5 Inch Pads, Meguiars Mirror Glaze Polishes, Meguiar's 105 Compound, Meguiar's 205 Ultra Finishing Polish

But it says for 'export only'! As in, you cant order it from US?

Btw do call their helpline or contact them via autogeek forums! They are super understanding and helpful! They'll definitely help!
Old 30th September 2010, 20:29   #3461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A converter for a 900W unit would be huge!!

This one also sees good - Meguiars FLEX 3401 Ultra Polish Kit with 6.5 Inch Pads, Meguiars Mirror Glaze Polishes, Meguiar's 105 Compound, Meguiar's 205 Ultra Finishing Polish

Btw do call their helpline or contact them via autogeek forums! They are super understanding and helpful! They'll definitely help!
Well the 'for export' units/kits are priced much higher than their NA counterparts.

You are right about the converters - they are huge!! - take a look at an example:
Amazon.com: Goldsource® Step Up and Down Voltage Converter Transformer ST1000 - AC 110/220 V - 1000 Watt(Free Shipping): Gateway
Old 30th September 2010, 21:47   #3462
Senior - BHPian

^Wow! free shipping for 15lbs item is nice! lol(pain for the shipping company!)

btw the 230v kits are situated at the bottom of this page!

btw price of NA units + quality voltage converter =~ Price of a 230v unit + no bulky converter needed(thats as I see it!)

Last edited by sohail99 : 30th September 2010 at 21:50.
Old 30th September 2010, 22:29   #3463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Hehe - I'm confused already!!

So black, white, grey, green and orange pads with the kit (the red one comes free!)

I guess I have to invest in a good 220 <=> 110 v adapter.

I think you have a I10 ? IMO you should get 1 Orange, 1 white, 2 Gray, 1 blue, 1 red or combine the blue & red to 2 of either. You should buy a six pack where you can choose the color. Anything below white has no cutting power. The gray is the most versatile as it can be used for polishing as well as sealing & waxing. Note that high end waxes are best applied by hand. In fact you can look at getting 3 grays and one blue. Remember you cannot mix the polishing Gray with sealant Gray once you have used them. So the best will be to have an extra Grey. BTW the colors are for LC CCS pads. I would say do not waste money on jeweling pads as you are not entering a competition. (making as assumption here). So you can dump the Red for a Grey. None of the bundles give you a good spread of pads. If you are looking for a bundle get a bundle with a pad cleaner, it will really help.

Do not even consider a 110V unit. A cheaper alternative to Flex would be the Kestrel DAS 6 pro from UK if you have access to UK.

Rgds
Old 30th September 2010, 22:38   #3464
BHPian

Quote:

We have been over this before. You can order with your credit card with Indian billing address. During the order process clearly mention in the comment box that it will be transshipped to India. They will accept the Order.

Rgds
Old 30th September 2010, 23:04   #3465
Senior - BHPian

I meant that, If a person from India is in US for a few days and wants flex230v unit, will they ship it to him?

btw which polishes do you use? (and you didn't post pics of your flex arsenal? )

Most Viewed