Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2010, 22:02   #3271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Regarding brake dust, I've heard that carbon ceramic disc brakes don't produce that much dust as compared to conventional ones!(+ better braking power, less fade etc.)

Con- Cost! :(

Btw I recently started using citrus cleaner/degreaser for wheels/engine/underbody and on any stubborn grime on the paint(its paint safe!) and it works great!
As for ceramic pads you will not find them on other than exotic sports cars (stock). Also Ceramic pads brake hard. In the 2010 model year Mercedes, Audi and Porsche have started using new pads for softer braking. These pads shed tons of dust. As all four wheels have disks so my troubles are X 4. The dust is very adhesive and difficult to clean. I have been forced to get the P21S gel cleaner which is the recommended product for these pads.
Old 18th September 2010, 22:14   #3272
Senior - BHPian

Yea! I know! Cleaning the rear alloys was like a breeze for me!

and front alloys take like 1hr each!! (imagine 4hrs on just wheels!!! )

I'm sure P21s gel will help!

Check this out - Kleen Wheels Dust Shields, kleen wheels, tire dust shields, brake dust, stop brake dust
But I guess it'll only prevent brake dust from showing up on the outside!!

(I dunno about Mercedes, but the space between the front alloy wheels of my i20 and the disc + brake shoe is very less and its kinda difficult to clean with a brush!!

Only way to fully clean the alloy from inside out is either a pressure washer, or remove the wheel and detail it separately! )
Old 19th September 2010, 00:20   #3273
BHPian

Quote:
Yea! I know! Cleaning the rear alloys was like a breeze for me!

and front alloys take like 1hr each!! (imagine 4hrs on just wheels!!! )

I'm sure P21s gel will help!

Check this out - Kleen Wheels Dust Shields, kleen wheels, tire dust shields, brake dust, stop brake dust
But I guess it'll only prevent brake dust from showing up on the outside!!

(I dunno about Mercedes, but the space between the front alloy wheels of my i20 and the disc + brake shoe is very less and its kinda difficult to clean with a brush!!

Only way to fully clean the alloy from inside out is either a pressure washer, or remove the wheel and detail it separately! )
These will not lessen the dust. Also will look funny on a nice see through alloy. The 250 alloys have narrow openings as well. If you have some money to spare get the daytona speedmaster wheel brush.

Rgds
Old 19th September 2010, 20:04   #3274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
@ Nirmal : Thanx Sir Ji .

But Here are some calculations.

Cost: 125 USD = Rs 5750 @46

Shipping : 140 USD = Rs 6440 @46

Clearing From Customs : 300

Duty : 30% of 265 USD = 3657

Total =16147

You Paid Three times the cost of products
Notorious ji, that's true :( Unfortunately there is no other solution for me,
Until Megs & other products are available locally, ill have to import directly as well as request my friends to get me items down from the US.

Quote:
Regarding brake dust, I've heard that carbon ceramic disc brakes don't produce that much dust as compared to conventional ones!(+ better braking power, less fade etc.)

Con- Cost! :(

Btw I recently started using citrus cleaner/degreaser for wheels/engine/underbody and on any stubborn grime on the paint(its paint safe!) and it works great!
Sounds nice Sohail ! ive seen professionals use the citrus degreasers on the lower parts of the body. Can you please share the brand details & the price !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
As for ceramic pads you will not find them on other than exotic sports cars (stock). Also Ceramic pads brake hard. In the 2010 model year Mercedes, Audi and Porsche have started using new pads for softer braking. These pads shed tons of dust. As all four wheels have disks so my troubles are X 4. The dust is very adhesive and difficult to clean. I have been forced to get the P21S gel cleaner which is the recommended product for these pads.
Garipagol, couldnt agree more, the BMW brake pads are a real pain. Just a small ride & the alloys turn grey :( The dealer says it because of the metal content in the pads. I don't face any such problems with the Swift or ANHC pads.

My next item on the import list are the Daytona brush twins ! The mini brush is supposed to be usefull for getting into the nooks & crannies !
Old 19th September 2010, 21:28   #3275
Senior - BHPian

Yup! Daytona sounds nice, but pricey!

btw I use STP son of gun citrus cleaner/degreaser (got it locally for ~600INR)
I wanted to buy more but he had only one! :(

I've heard ppl using dishwashing detergents(like vim/pril) to clean stubborn grime!(as it has a degreasing action and easily available) But I'd personally NEVER use it!!
Old 19th September 2010, 21:38   #3276
Senior - BHPian

^^ Sohail, any particular reason for not using the detergents? Are they stronger than the regularly available car specific products (specifically degreasers)?

Drive safe.
Old 19th September 2010, 22:31   #3277
Senior - BHPian

These detergents are super strong, they strip off the wax/sealant easily and might even cause paint oxidation!

Check this out - People on other forums recommend using Dawn Detergent Dish Washing Soap to wash my ca - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

Then again maybe they can be safe after a particular dilution!?
Old 20th September 2010, 11:19   #3278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
I think you are not looking at it right. First there are many types of alloys. Magnesium, Aluminium and finally painted. If your alloys are after market then you need to find out what type they are. For cleaning any of these types you MUST use a PH-neutral wheel cleaner. Read that some people use acid - they must hate their alloys !!

As for the gunk on the wheels - they are muck from the road - this is easily cleaned by shampoo solution. Then there is brake dust - if you have disk brakes on your car look at the wheels which has it and you will find dark specks adhering to the alloys. Brake dust is corrosive and if left for long will damage your wheels. Due to the adhesives used in the brake pads the dust also tends to adhere to the alloys. Mixed with water from the road these will pit your alloys if you do not clean them regularly. Heavy deposits of brake dust will not get removed by water or shampoo. You will need to use a wheel cleaner to dislodge them.

If your wheels are painted - which is very likely - you can treat them as you treat the paint on your car. Wash-(car)polish-seal-wax. For mag & al wheels you will have to get a special metal polish for use after the wheel cleaner. Sealant & waxes will not work on metal. DO NOT use metal polish on painted alloys - you will damage them.
Thanks for the inputs
My alloys are not aftermarket, I own a 2006 Civic and it came with factory fitted alloys. I have no clue what kind of alloys they are. I am not sure whether they are painted or not.

Yes, there is a lot of black specks on them and I'm sure its a combination of brake dust and muck from the road. I've tried cleaning them with just water and I did manage to get rid of some but not completely. I will surely try with shampoo and I agree that alone will not be enough.

I am still to get hold of some wheel cleaner, perhaps this weekend. I was supposed to have a go at detailing my car this past weekend but could not.
I will surely have a go at the wheels just like you suggested.

Cheers
Old 20th September 2010, 11:36   #3279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Notorious ji, that's true :( Unfortunately there is no other solution for me,
Until Megs & other products are available locally, ill have to import directly as well as request my friends to get me items down from the US.
Hi Nirmal,

If I remember correctly, Swetadri Associates were dealing with Meg's products. Did you check with them?

For Bangalore:
Contact person: Srikant
Swetadri Associates, No, 10, S.V.K Layout III Stage.
Basaveshwaranagar, Bangalore - 560 079
91-80-232208206.
email srikant@swetadri.com

I didn't visit them personally but did call them a month ago to buy the products and they told me I can drop by any time.

Did someone bought the products recently from them?

Iam planning to visit them this Sunday just to check.

Cheers
Raghu
Old 20th September 2010, 12:26   #3280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Hi Nirmal,

If I remember correctly, Swetadri Associates were dealing with Meg's products. Did you check with them?

For Bangalore:
91-80-232208206.

I didn't visit them personally but did call them a month ago to buy the products and they told me I can drop by any time.

Cheers
Raghu
Raghu, do update us once you visit the store. It will be great if you can get the price list of the Meg products, and also if he is willing to ship products outside Bangalore to Tbhp members. I guess many will be interested, since we are all sourcing these from outside India, and any decent prices will mean a lot of sale for him.
Old 20th September 2010, 14:00   #3281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Hi Nirmal,

For Bangalore:
91-80-232208206.

Cheers
Raghu
Raghu, i visited this guys office & warehouse in Basaveshwaranagar, & took all the products that i could find usefull. (Ultimate quik detailer, tech protect & Wash mitt)

They do not have much interest in stocking of Megs products, neither are they interested to order it for me, in spite of following up with them. It doesnt look like these products fit in with their current line of business. That's why i decided to order through Autogeek even though it was expensive !

You can speak to Balaji on this no - 98802 16515. If they have any new stocks, please do update !

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 20th September 2010 at 14:02.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:29   #3282
Senior - BHPian

As an aside, Autocar Performance show is scheduled for 18-21 November in Bombay.
I hope there is a meguairs stall at the event, I remember them being there a couple of years ago.

Will make do with what I have now and stock up on the megs kit then.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 21st September 2010 at 10:30. Reason: Corrected a typo
Old 21st September 2010, 10:39   #3283
Senior - BHPian

^Whoa! they come to autoshows here??

Last time I scanned the whole Pragati Maidan during Auto Expo looking for them!
I only found cyclo, formula1 and TurtleWax!! :(

I bet Megs will do more business here!! I'll even help them out!!
Old 21st September 2010, 10:45   #3284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
As an aside, Autocar Performance show is scheduled for 18-21 November in Bombay.
I hope there is a meguairs stall at the event, I remember them being there a couple of years ago.

Will make do with what I have now and stock up on the megs kit then.
Quote:

We are doing so much free publicity for Meg's - even been on their forum and communicated the need for Megs to tap the Indian market properly. Wonder if they are listening.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:54   #3285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, they did come a couple of years ago. They had a stall and had a huge collection of detailing stuff. But at that time I thought nothing can beat the yellow dabba of Formula 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
We are doing so much free publicity for Meg's - even been on their forum and communicated the need for Megs to tap the Indian market properly. Wonder if they are listening.
I saw you, Nirmal and Sohail over at MOL, even I've registered over there.
I agree we are giving them and their products so much visibility here, perhaps they should even make you guys their brand ambassaors

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks