Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2010, 21:31   #2701
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Found something really nice:
Machine Polishing by Dual Action Polisher - Full Guide - Detailing World
BTW today i decided to use the cleaner wax sample that comes with the Clay kit from Megs.
I must say the slickness is amazing, the swirls are still there, but the finish and the smoothness is great. I used the california duster and there is a marked difference in the way it slid across.
Man its a maze out there, wonder what really is the best
Sohail- where did you get the quote for the DA from? Getting from the UK is expensive, and i think we need to buy a kit as only the DA may not come with the pads or do they?
A cheaper one and looks decent is this one http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...-polisher.html
Just got to know a friend is going to the UK, but not sure if getting is a good option as spending so much and if there are any working issues etc?

Last edited by mkh : 25th July 2010 at 21:32.
Old 25th July 2010, 22:00   #2702
Senior - BHPian

I had seen a DA polisher in Divine carz spa and got a quote from them(they said that they'll get it for me! )

I think its a GEX 270AE. Its basically is a sander which can be perfectly adapted to be a polisher!!

its got good reviews on Singapore's Car/detailing forums

I hope they reply soon!

Some linkies - http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=17036

- http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1127932

Last edited by sohail99 : 25th July 2010 at 22:04.
Old 25th July 2010, 22:25   #2703
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I had seen a DA polisher in Divine carz spa and got a quote from them(they said that they'll get it for me! )

I think its a GEX 270AE. Its basically is a sander which can be perfectly adapted to be a polisher!!

its got good reviews on Singapore's Car/detailing forums

I hope they reply soon!

Some linkies - Bosch GEX 270AE random orbit buffer - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

- Bosch GEX 270AE - MyCarForum
Read this- its great
Swirl removal by hand (Meguiars 2009 products) - Detailing World
Seems like not using the product the right way as i did not see a great difference in using UC. Using a machine is not a simple deal as it looks like, needs some care though. Here the carz spa guys used a rotary
Old 26th July 2010, 09:41   #2704
BHPian

Spent the whole of Sunday going through with the Megs 5 step process & here are the results !

- Washed down with Sonax shampoo & the Megs mitt

- Clayed down entire surface with Megs clay including glasses, check out the dirt & grime accumulated. This was the result with almost every horizontal surface & it really amazed me !! Surface was super smooth. Took longer than expected, had to go over each panel twice :(

- Megs Ultimate Compound for getting rid of the deeper scratches & swirls.

- Megs Color X - This really made a lot of difference. The whole surface just broke out into a vibrant glow, & it felt really soft & smooth to the touch. Most of the minor swirls look to have been filled up with it. I liked it so much i applied another coat after seeing the result

- Single coat of NXT 2.0

- Wiped down with UQD today morning & took these pics !
Am planning a top up of the NXT tonight !
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01129.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01133.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01134.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01148.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01149.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01151.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01155.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01157.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01154.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01161.jpg  

Old 26th July 2010, 09:48   #2705
BHPian

awsome pictures! you have lots of patience. I have almost invisible scratch on my bonet. It looks like some kids have been sitting on my car's bonet and when they got down, some fabric or some metal on their pants had scratched the bonet. This isnt visible from a distance, but on very close inspection the scratch is visible. When i waxed the surface, the scratch momentarily disappers but it is still persistant. I will post the pics tonite.

But, gurus any solution for such scratches? is it wise to use 3m's scratchout?
Old 26th July 2010, 09:56   #2706
Senior - BHPian

Awesome!! 1st and 6th pic really bring out the difference!!

and nice reflection shot in 10th!

Shine is really awesome!! (after 2 coats of NXT 2.0 do top up with collinite etc. and the shine will multipy further!! )

Great work again!
Old 26th July 2010, 11:23   #2707
BHPian

Sohail, Do update about DA, as and when you get further information.
Old 26th July 2010, 12:20   #2708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Mkh - I got a related question about polish too, finally my package ordered from Autogeek landed at home safely without anything missing ! Took 3 weeks, not bad for the Indian postal system

I'm planning a 5 step treatment consisting of

- Wash (Sonax shampoo)
- Clay (Megs clay)
- Prep (Megs UC)
- Polish (Megs Color X ??)
- Wax (NXT) Collinite ordered & on its way !
- Maintain (UQD)

Can I use Color X as a step for polish ? It claims to Clean. polish & waxes, all in one step ! Or can i use Megs cleaner wax ?

Sohail/Garipagol - Please advise !
Folks, Everything you need to know when you create your paint correction Kit can be found here :

Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart

If you are using your hands you should stay lower than 3 on the abrasive scale. In fact anything higher requires a lot of experience with the DA to be honest.

IMO if you get a polish which is 2 or higher on the abrasive scale you must get a glaze to prep the paint before sealant and or wax. You will see that Klasse AIO and Wolfgang Paint Restorer are nicely placed.

Do a save of the HTML page on your laptop/desktop.

If you are headed the DA way, look at the classification of the Lake Country CCS pads - note that they are color coded but the coding is not a industry standard, but it will tell you the functional nature of the pads out there.

Autogeek Buffing Pad Comparison Chart

Hope you find this helpful.

Rdgs
Old 26th July 2010, 12:26   #2709
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spent the whole of Sunday going through with the Megs 5 step process & here are the results !

- Washed down with Sonax shampoo & the Megs mitt

- Clayed down entire surface with Megs clay including glasses, check out the dirt & grime accumulated. This was the result with almost every horizontal surface & it really amazed me !! Surface was super smooth. Took longer than expected, had to go over each panel twice :(

- Megs Ultimate Compound for getting rid of the deeper scratches & swirls.

- Megs Color X - This really made a lot of difference. The whole surface just broke out into a vibrant glow, & it felt really soft & smooth to the touch. Most of the minor swirls look to have been filled up with it. I liked it so much i applied another coat after seeing the result

- Single coat of NXT 2.0

- Wiped down with UQD today morning & took these pics !
Am planning a top up of the NXT tonight !
The black beauty is young once again! I have to see this in person!
I am dropping in ASAP, i just need to see this, and admire for sure. I did a quick run of scratch X 2.0 and UC over 2 panels today, and yes the swirls did go off by hand. But to cover the entire car means either ending up dead "armed" or take a guy and pay him and get him to help you out. Wondering what to do! Will decide post getting Klasse and BF in hand. My friend has got a black car and he needs to see to get inspired to duplicate this, though his car will have half the area to cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
awsome pictures! you have lots of patience. I have almost invisible scratch on my bonet. It looks like some kids have been sitting on my car's bonet and when they got down, some fabric or some metal on their pants had scratched the bonet. This isnt visible from a distance, but on very close inspection the scratch is visible. When i waxed the surface, the scratch momentarily disappers but it is still persistant. I will post the pics tonite.

But, gurus any solution for such scratches? is it wise to use 3m's scratchout?
A lot of patience and a LOT of strength in his arms, i have the first but not sure the second to do a complete car and that too 2 passes.
For the scratch, i can only say Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 is a super deal, sorry that it cannot be bought here though. Try 3M, it should work, some folks have used Formula 1 also.

Last edited by mkh : 26th July 2010 at 12:29. Reason: spelling errors
Old 26th July 2010, 12:32   #2710
BHPian

Thanks mkh. I searched every-where to get the Meguiars Scratch X 2.0, but they arent available in Chennai or India. Anyone who was successful in sourcing this product?
Old 26th July 2010, 12:37   #2711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Found something really nice:
Machine Polishing by Dual Action Polisher - Full Guide - Detailing World
BTW today i decided to use the cleaner wax sample that comes with the Clay kit from Megs.
I must say the slickness is amazing, the swirls are still there, but the finish and the smoothness is great. I used the california duster and there is a marked difference in the way it slid across.
Man its a maze out there, wonder what really is the best
Sohail- where did you get the quote for the DA from? Getting from the UK is expensive, and i think we need to buy a kit as only the DA may not come with the pads or do they?
A cheaper one and looks decent is this one Kestrel DAS-6 Dual Action Machine Polisher | Kestrel Car Care & Detailing Products
Just got to know a friend is going to the UK, but not sure if getting is a good option as spending so much and if there are any working issues etc?
The Kestrel DAS6 DA is very popular in UK, Australia & Europe - the PC, GG etc. are 110V machines. They have recently brought out the DAS6 pro which is about GBP 50 more than this model. With Megs having no dates for their highly anticipated G220v2, you can safely look at these. But do a little shopping, prices can vary and some sites will offer free UK shipping.

Rgds
Old 26th July 2010, 12:50   #2712
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Thanks mkh. I searched every-where to get the Meguiars Scratch X 2.0, but they arent available in Chennai or India. Anyone who was successful in sourcing this product?
I get them from the US only- there are a few dealers, chennai also should have them but the cost will be like 3 times more. Try and get someone who is coming from the US to source them or wait for my next consignment and i can maybe squeeze this in too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
The Kestrel DAS6 DA is very popular in UK, Australia & Europe - the PC, GG etc. are 110V machines. They have recently brought out the DAS6 pro which is about GBP 50 more than this model. With Megs having no dates for their highly anticipated G220v2, you can safely look at these. But do a little shopping, prices can vary and some sites will offer free UK shipping.

Rgds
Have looked around and did not get a reasonable cost from the UK. Am in a dilemma cause should i spend this much and then risk using a DA, have to get the pads etc also. How long will a pad last too or i will have to keep sourcing them from there? Best if can get something from here or use a 3M treatment for swirl removal costing about 2.5K and then maintain using Klasse, BF, NXT, Collinite etc cause then will not really need to use a DA again for those which i can do with hands
BTW i looked at the comparison chart, strangely Megs UC is not mentioned, but surely it will be higher than Scratch X. Even SwirlX is not there.
I thought Pinnacle Swirl remover is mild, the product description mentions it as mild!!!
This is from the prod page" The rule of thumb when polishing is to use the least aggressive product that works. Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover embodies this rule with an ultra-gentle diminishing abrasive polish that preserves paint while restoring it. "
However its listed as aggressive??
There is an offer of buy-1 and get 1 free on this and the polish, wish can have it as its usable by hand and its quite effective too! Do you buy and ship it to india?

Last edited by mkh : 26th July 2010 at 12:52.
Old 26th July 2010, 13:25   #2713
BHPian

Mkh/Sohail - Thanks for all the inputs & guidance !

Mkh - Sure you are welcome to drop by & check it out, im just attaching a picture which shows the light swirls that still remain. It was really tiring to work on the UC by hand :( I have pains in my arms, finger joints, shoulders & legs today from the workout yesterday. Me sessions in the gym have surely helped or would have been a wreck today ! As the driver had to leave for some urgent work, i had to do most of it myself.

Since the paint work was quite neglected before this, im happy with the current results. The swirls that remain can surely be taken off with a DA, now have to research getting that done. Its strange how the swirls are not visible, except under bright light !

One more observation - cleaned the outside of the glass with clay & was shocked at the amount of dirt ! The inside was cleaned with isopropyl alcohol swabs & result is crystal clear glass.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01162.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01169.jpg  

Old 26th July 2010, 14:18   #2714
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mkh/Sohail - Thanks for all the inputs & guidance !

Mkh - Sure you are welcome to drop by & check it out, im just attaching a picture which shows the light swirls that still remain. It was really tiring to work on the UC by hand :( I have pains in my arms, finger joints, shoulders & legs today from the workout yesterday. Me sessions in the gym have surely helped or would have been a wreck today ! As the driver had to leave for some urgent work, i had to do most of it myself.

Since the paint work was quite neglected before this, im happy with the current results. The swirls that remain can surely be taken off with a DA, now have to research getting that done. Its strange how the swirls are not visible, except under bright light !

One more observation - cleaned the outside of the glass with clay & was shocked at the amount of dirt ! The inside was cleaned with isopropyl alcohol swabs & result is crystal clear glass.
The swirls get hidden, and unless look v closely- cannot be seen. Removal -only possible with DA. That's what i read on the autogeek training links. BTW lets synch up and collaborate to get a DA. I have someone coming down from the UK, or now since you know the customs people, maybe getting one directly is also feasible. We can offer sessions to interested folks at a cost and recover most of it
Claying the glass is a good idea, i tried it too, works great.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:39   #2715
BHPian

@nirmaljusdoit : paaji , no pain no gain just joking .

Some awesome results there , congratulations !!!

please answere some questions
  1. Till how much time one has to rub UC on paint ?? and how to know tht its ready to remove ???
  2. i hope , i can use sonax auto polish as a finishing polish/glaze after UC and before Wax.
  3. Did you pay any customs duty on your autogeek package ??
  4. is the bottel of quick detailer , which come with clay kit enough for whole car ??
  5. Can i use same clay on paint again after cleaning glass with it ???
Waiting for my answers

Last edited by NOTORIOUS : 26th July 2010 at 16:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks