Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 10:02   #2116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Get a car cover.

Bird droppings are acidic in nature and tend to eat their way through the clear coat to the paint. Also, one should NEVER scrub to get bird droppings off.

Refer to this tutorial on how to remove bird droppings without damaging your paint:

How to safely remove a dried bird dropping - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online
Thanks for the link.

However, even though I have a car cover it is not very useful, as there is lot of wind in my area and the cover keeps flying. Twice I bought a cover, but within no time it tears off due to wind. Earlier the watchman would put some weights/ stones to keep the cover in place, but I got that discontinued ever since i noticed some scratches due to them.

The main issue is that due to the carrier, its not easy for the car wash person to put in hands to clean. And so besides droppings even dust accumulates.

Any help would be really nice
Old 19th April 2010, 16:29   #2117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
You can also experiment with 'layering' of wax coats for a better protection and a slightly more deep finish!

(basically 2 coats are done to ensure uniform wax coat on the whole car, as one coat might not be uniform!)
(ideal wait time between 2 coats = 12hrs)
@ sohail: how about turtle hard shell wax to be used with my rotary buffer. Will it dry too early like waxpol carnuba?
Old 19th April 2010, 17:17   #2118
Senior - BHPian

The hard shell wax does come off easily but the amount of greenish-white dust/flakes it creates while being removed is immense and it gets stuck in the trim!!

I tried it and though it comes off easily even after 1/2 hr of application, I think its counterproductive(as lot of time is taken to clean up those green flakes from trim etc.)

I think someone here had posted a solution for that,

- after waxing the car(wax not yet removed) either you remove the wax just before it dries to haze

OR

- if the wax has hazed, quickly apply another thin coat of wax to that panel so that it again becomes wet and then remove the wax from that panel immediately!

though I haven't tried the above methods but they are logical(I never turned back to hard shell wax as there were better alternatives)

Last edited by sohail99 : 19th April 2010 at 17:18.
Old 19th April 2010, 19:32   #2119
BHPian

Quote:
The hard shell wax does come off easily but the amount of greenish-white dust/flakes it creates while being removed is immense and it gets stuck in the trim!!

I tried it and though it comes off easily even after 1/2 hr of application, I think its counterproductive(as lot of time is taken to clean up those green flakes from trim etc.)

I think someone here had posted a solution for that,

- after waxing the car(wax not yet removed) either you remove the wax just before it dries to haze

OR

- if the wax has hazed, quickly apply another thin coat of wax to that panel so that it again becomes wet and then remove the wax from that panel immediately!

though I haven't tried the above methods but they are logical(I never turned back to hard shell wax as there were better alternatives)
thanks for the tip sohail. it is really useful. i have been suggested turtle hardshell wax. i think i will use the hardshell wax instead of precision car wax for my next wax session with the rotary wheel. I hope the hard shell wax will come off easily with the wheel. If you have any other suggestions/tips/experiences or feel that hardshell wax wont be appropriate then please let me know.

I have a solution for the 'flakes getting stuck in the trim problem'. Use masking tape to seal the gaps/for covering plastic parts and glass. This should help.

There was a problem I faced with waxpol. It needed immense buffing and the flakes came off like small dust particles. I observed that they got stuck back on the surface. I think the buffing charges the paint surface may be. After a hard buffing session, the car looked a bit dusty due to the flakes and needed to be wiped off.
Old 19th April 2010, 21:27   #2120
Senior - BHPian

Yup!! the act of removing the wax and buffing charges the surface leading to dust build up!

thats the reason why waxed cars attract dust more readily than non waxed ones!(but in case of waxed ones it can be dusted off easily)

I think you should go ahead with the turtle hard shell wax!
do post the result pics!
Old 20th April 2010, 11:22   #2121
BHPian

Quote:
Yup!! the act of removing the wax and buffing charges the surface leading to dust build up!

thats the reason why waxed cars attract dust more readily than non waxed ones!(but in case of waxed ones it can be dusted off easily)

I think you should go ahead with the turtle hard shell wax!
do post the result pics!
As of now i am yet to buy hardshell turtle wax. I plan to wax the car on 1stMay. I got holidays only on sundays and this sunday I'm off to puna. I will definitely keep you updated on this thread on all events till i wax my car.

BTW i attached 2pics of the car already. You cant find them on p141 of this thread.
Old 22nd April 2010, 03:16   #2122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
20North goofed up in my case also - says that the applicator pads are delivered even though I did not receive them. I put a mail through to the customer care - lets see what they come up with. With 5 more items still pending, I do not see this as a good sign.
Received my applicator pads (same day as 20North apology email). Still waiting on 5 other items (seems like forever!)
Old 22nd April 2010, 08:21   #2123
Senior - BHPian

I still haven't got one of the items(other than the one they delivered to someone else)

Now I'll have to think again before placing new orders with them!
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:46   #2124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I still haven't got one of the items(other than the one they delivered to someone else)
Quote:
20North goofed up in my case also - says that the applicator pads are delivered even though I did not receive them
Same with me. Ordered two items (part of same order) before 31st of last month. Haven't received any so far. Status of one item says "delivered". Took up with customer care- admitted it was a mistake and they will deliver within 3-4 days. Haven't recvd it so far, more than one week now. They have stopped responding to my emails .

This is my 3rd order with them. First they could not deliver on time and retained my money (debited card) for ~2 months (earned interest) before canceling and refunding.

2nd order - they delivered fine.

Now 3rd order- same story, not delivered yet, despite more than a month of order now.

With 33% success rate how will customer gain confidence with 20north.com?

Now, I will NOT do anymore business with 20north.com and stay miles away from them.

-BJ
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:04   #2125
BHPian

Quote:

Same here, no updates after the apology email. Feeling a bit restless now, should have kept the money in my bank, would have earned interest also.
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:16   #2126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Same with me. Ordered two items (part of same order) before 31st of last month. Haven't received any so far. Status of one item says "delivered". Took up with customer care- admitted it was a mistake and they will deliver within 3-4 days. Haven't recvd it so far, more than one week now. They have stopped responding to my emails .

This is my 3rd order with them. First they could not deliver on time and retained my money (debited card) for ~2 months (earned interest) before canceling and refunding.

2nd order - they delivered fine.

Now 3rd order- same story, not delivered yet, despite more than a month of order now.

With 33% success rate how will customer gain confidence with 20north.com?

Now, I will NOT do anymore business with 20north.com and stay miles away from them.

-BJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1head View Post
Same here, no updates after the apology email. Feeling a bit restless now, should have kept the money in my bank, would have earned interest also.

Yup - they are too messy to be dependable. I guess they won't see any further orders from me. Pity that the model was great, but the execution is so poor!
Old 23rd April 2010, 00:27   #2127
BHPian

Quote:
For Liquid wax, try -

- Turtle Wax Platinum series Precision car wax

its a blended wax containing both synthetic polymers and carnuba

I also feel that its wax layer is quite durable, attracts less dust and its easier to remove!

haven't tried the other Indian variants!

(had tried TW hard shell shine liquid wax way back but its kinda counterproductive!! so wouldn't recommend it)
Hmmm....Funny. At the Xenos shop in Chennai I debated between getting the Turtle Wax Precision Car Wax and Turtle Wax Hard shell Shine Car Wax and finally went in for the Hard Shell Wax 300ml/Rs240. But have been hesitant to use it yet since the labels on the plastic bottle were affixed upside down .

The precision car wax has also polishing agents I believe, though not sure how strong those are. Is it OK to use that wax on a brand new car ? Planning to get it this weekend.
Old 23rd April 2010, 09:33   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conoco View Post
Hmmm....Funny. At the Xenos shop in Chennai I debated between getting the Turtle Wax Precision Car Wax and Turtle Wax Hard shell Shine Car Wax and finally went in for the Hard Shell Wax 300ml/Rs240. But have been hesitant to use it yet since the labels on the plastic bottle were affixed upside down .

The precision car wax has also polishing agents I believe, though not sure how strong those are. Is it OK to use that wax on a brand new car ? Planning to get it this weekend.
Polishing compounts remove a thin layer of the paint. It is not recommended on a brand new car. Try to use wax without these compounds. My car is more than 2 yrs old but the paint is is excellent condition. So I use only wax and no rubbing/polishing compound.

@ Sohail: Does turtle precision wax have polishing agents in it?
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:43   #2129
Senior - BHPian

As far as the info on the back label of the bottle is concerned, there is no integrated polish in TW precision series car wax!

as I said, its a blended wax(i.e. Synthetic sealant + natural wax) where synthetic polymers help seal the paint finish and natural carnuba provides a deep gloss to the paint

its perfectly safe for new cars!
In fact, I'd take a bottle with me while going to take delivery if I were you! (and wax it then and there only)

Do buy a few microfiber towels with it too!(better than conventional cloths as they don't scratch the clear coat and are soft on the paint surface)

NOTE - When the dealership guys say 'Teflon', they are talking about waxing!!(which you can do yourself, with more dedication and care)
+ they use 3M liquid wax which I feel is not that durable
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:51   #2130
BHPian

Quote:
they use 3M liquid wax which I feel is not that durable
Durable as to finish or life? Any better wax products availble here?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks