Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 13:52   #2026
BHPian

Tech Wax 2.0. is excellent if you can get hold of the product. You will also get a nice applicator (which I still use) Unfortunately not readily available in India. If you are ready to go abroad to procure, try out Wolfgang, Klasse, Zaino. These guys make show car detailing products. My recommendation would be to create small local groups (4/5 nut cases living in proximity) and share the cost of these products and try them out.

Rgds
Old 5th April 2010, 13:59   #2027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Good work "Pagol". Liked your signature quote too.

How do you survive the humid Kolkata climate? Pune is not so humid but, it fries my skin, already touching 40 degrees :(

-BJ
In the shade my man. Most of the wax products mention that you need to stay in the shade and the car surface needs to be cold. Have a 500 ml bottle of glucose drink on hand.

Rgds
Old 5th April 2010, 14:43   #2028
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
i am the "unofficial supplier" of megs products for folks here
I think i should turn into a regular soon!! Am trying to see if an importer friend of mine who keeps getting his shipments from all over North America and Europe can add some megs stuff each time he travels. I am expecting some microfibers and NXT from Megs in 1-2 months
Folks keep checking the classifieds for extra stuff that i am posting, cannot post here as mods ask me to put on the classifieds only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
Compared to you I am a novice !!

I do the rubdown once a month both outside and inside. Takes me about six hours to do the outside. I do it by hand. Normally I do it alone because a) it helps me to think and b) gives my shoulders a good workout (frozen shoulder problem) and c) I love the result !!

What I am using

SONAX for wash and wax polish.
Ice spray detailer from Turtlewax the next day to finish off
Armorall extreme shine for the tires, shampoo & Sonax for the wheels
Mr. Leather for the upholstery (leather)
SONAX cockpit cleaner for the dashboard
Cobra Microfiber. (I saw your posts on MF you are doing good).

I will recommend SONAX if you have not tried it. German product line. Available in India. Reasonably priced. Mercedes sponsored.

What I am getting my hands on

Klasse All-in-One
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
Wolfgang clay kit

Again highly recommended in Merc Forums. Not available in India. Not cheap !!!

Rgds
Thanks for the huge huge compliment! I am tempted to run weekend classes on detailing and charge
Klasse and Wolfgang are highly recommeded by experts- they are more aimed at professional users and well known in that community. Sonax is decent, but in that category( DIY) meguiars and 3M are leaders. I am also going to try the Wolfgang sealant/Klasse sealant but once my megs set finishes which is not less than 1 year!!. Also since they are german prods, not surprised that merc forums are recommending them. I guess for a high end car like the merc you should go for these, they are clearly higher end prods than the rest hence cost more. Did you read that the klasse polish should be used 1-2 times aYEAR? And the sealant is good enough for 6 months?? If thats true then cost per use is very very less!!
I really wonder if there is a major diff in these prods, meguiars, 3M, Klasse?? I guess there only 1 way to find out- use all of them!
Old 5th April 2010, 20:13   #2029
Senior - BHPian

Whoa! nice collection of detailing supplies there Garipagol!

and amazing detailing! (loved the tire detailing)

@Gill - Dunno man! Warranty...(I dont need it lol!)

@f1head - my sponge applicators were shipped quite quick! waiting for the rest of the stuff (shows 'Shipped by US merchant' in status, hopefully it'll be here soon)

@mkh - might need some stuff! ;-)

btw I took a rather crazy step and bought a spare front bumper for my i20 and got it painted too!

now its kept safely in my room! Hope I never have to use it though

btw(2) anyone tried Autoglym detailing stuff?
Old 5th April 2010, 21:34   #2030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
Tech Wax 2.0. is excellent if you can get hold of the product. You will also get a nice applicator (which I still use) Unfortunately not readily available in India. If you are ready to go abroad to procure, try out Wolfgang, Klasse, Zaino. These guys make show car detailing products. My recommendation would be to create small local groups (4/5 nut cases living in proximity) and share the cost of these products and try them out.

Rgds
Beautiful car! and its nice to see that you you love ti enough to spend time pampering it.

BTW what do you mean 4/5 nut cases ? Should i go and xerox myself a couple of times to make up a group....

just kidding

Just got a few things recently . Will post some pics.. Techwax2 among them . Am getting kinda mixed results with it though. Will elaborate when i find the time .. Cheers all.

@ Sohail ,why the extra bumper? You can always get the bumper if you ever need it quite easily.
Old 5th April 2010, 22:16   #2031
Senior - BHPian

Oh! I guess I'm paranoid enough!!

I don't trust these bodyshop/service guys with my i20 and I want painted parts(pre-detailed ) readily available!! lol
Old 5th April 2010, 22:49   #2032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
Techwax2 among them . Am getting kinda mixed results with it though. Will elaborate when i find the time .. Cheers all.
Please elaborate. Being fascinated by the result after using Techwax 2 (thanks mkh) managed to get two more bottles which I received today!
Old 6th April 2010, 09:57   #2033
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Please elaborate. Being fascinated by the result after using Techwax 2 (thanks mkh) managed to get two more bottles which I received today!
super! so you got a supply for almost 2 years now. BTW any chance can get some other stuff from your current source? Is this someone who came from the US? Looking for 3M stuff now, trying that out My next person expected is not soon, so looking around for some other carriers

Last edited by mkh : 6th April 2010 at 09:58.
Old 7th April 2010, 09:39   #2034
BHPian

Ravi@, how is the weight of the california duster. I have a similar sized one purchased from Haute Car zone in Chennai, with similar wooden handle. This is not California duster but some south korean company. I find the jopasu duster's relatively smaller size and lesser weight more comfortable to use, and quality on par.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:54   #2035
BHPian

what is the best way to remove swirls by using locally available products ????

my blue blazw alto is very swirly.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:37   #2036
Senior - BHPian

Any super mild rubbing compound can get rid of swirls!

I think the mildest rubbing compound found locally is 'Scratch Out' liquid!

once it took me like 1/2 hr to remove a clear-coat scratch with it!

first try it in a small area and see whether its working!

the key to removing swirls is loads and loads of work!!
(one heavily swirled panel might take 45mins to 1hr if working by hand)
a DA polisher reduces that work by a LOT!!

+ you got to remove the wax before working on the panel
Old 8th April 2010, 11:59   #2037
J.Ravi

CCD vs JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Ravi@, how is the weight of the california duster. I have a similar sized one purchased from Haute Car zone in Chennai, with similar wooden handle. This is not California duster but some south korean company. I find the jopasu duster's relatively smaller size and lesser weight more comfortable to use, and quality on par.
sanjayc,

Here are the vital statistics of both California Car Duster [CCD] and Jopasu Car Duster [JCD]:

CCD weighs 600 g and JCD, 300 g.

The overall length of both CCD and JCD is almost the same, but the length of actual duster excluding handle in case of CCD is more than that of JCD.

CCD contains more and dense strands as compared to JCD.

CCD has shining and attractive wooden handle, whereas JCD has sombre-looking black plastic one.

During initial usage, I found some strands of CCD falling, no such observation in case of JCD.

CCD cost US$ 15 and JCD, Rs 475 plus free offer of Magic Wipe Pro [micro-fibre cloth].

Last, but not the least, both CCD and JCD are equally good, work-wise.
Attached Images

Old 8th April 2010, 12:56   #2038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Any super mild rubbing compound can get rid of swirls!

I think the mildest rubbing compound found locally is 'Scratch Out' liquid!

once it took me like 1/2 hr to remove a clear-coat scratch with it!

first try it in a small area and see whether its working!

the key to removing swirls is loads and loads of work!!
(one heavily swirled panel might take 45mins to 1hr if working by hand)
a DA polisher reduces that work by a LOT!!

+ you got to remove the wax before working on the panel

thanx , any other product then scratch out ???
Old 8th April 2010, 12:59   #2039
Senior - BHPian

Ravi, thanks for the comparo of CCD and JCD!
Wish you had shared this review earlier, I would have bought the JCD, instead of ordering the CCD from abroad at a higher price.
Old 8th April 2010, 13:09   #2040
J.Ravi

finneyp,

You can have both, keep one in your car [for use in outstations] and the other in your garage [for use in Bangalore].

Last edited by J.Ravi : 8th April 2010 at 13:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks