Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2010, 14:55   #1516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atul-C View Post
I am still unsure about which product should I go for while polishing my car- Liquid or hard wax? I have gone through all the posts in this thread and left my thought process in mess. Every once in a while there is a contradicting comment. Pals, please suggest if it is a good idea to go for hard wax? Is there any risk involved if I do it myself like damaging the paint or something?

There is not much of a difference between Liquid and hard wax. Liquid is easy to apply/buff however hard wax is diffcult to apply and buff. However as you know hard work always pays. So its the hard wax that will get you the most shine. Hard wax apply as thin as possible coat and if u want a better protection then apply multiple coats but do keep 12-18 hours of gap between two coats.

Regarding risk in DIY, If you use the right material to apply then its all fine, one that I use is a cotton waste or foam to apply, I have not created any swirls or scratches on my car as yet.

If you want an ultimate car care guide then refer this. It has all you want except the products mentioned are not as freely available as in US. But lot of Important info and its very informative about each product. You can find lot of articles on this site, like how to apply and etc.
Car Wax, paint Sealants,Car Waxes, Show Car Wax, Best Car Wax, Carnauba Car wax, P21s Car wax, Pinnacle Souveran Wax, Meguiars car wax, Mothers
[source: AutoGeek]

PS:MODS: Please delete the link if it is inappropriate to post them on Team-BHP
Old 7th January 2010, 15:45   #1517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmishra View Post
There is not much of a difference between Liquid and hard wax. Liquid is easy to apply/buff however hard wax is diffcult to apply and buff. However as you know hard work always pays. So its the hard wax that will get you the most shine. Hard wax apply as thin as possible coat and if u want a better protection then apply multiple coats but do keep 12-18 hours of gap between two coats.
Thank you. I will go through the link you have provided.
Old 8th January 2010, 16:41   #1518
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Megs

Hi,
Can someone help me with info on Meguiars Products in Dubai? What is the cost of the products there- UQD and UQW and NXT? Where is it available in Dubai?
Is there anything else one can get from there which is as good- i think 3M prods but can someone suggest which of 3M prods are really worth it when compared to Megs?
Old 8th January 2010, 21:32   #1519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
....1. When rubbing it off, there are so many green particles that get into the beading, its a pain to remove those. Esp when they fall over the windshield......
....3. I saw that it did not even last 2weeks- the tub says 12 months!!!
...I have used Meguiars NXT Tech Wax now and its far far superior and more VFM. The cost is about Rs 900...
You have to rub off the wax before it dries completely. If it does, you end up with green dust all over the car. Happened to me once and was quite irritating. In my case 1 tin of turtle wax hardshell saw me through a year and 3 applications on my swift. Each time the effects would last for 3-4 months. And my car does 25k km in a year, so I was impressed. Meguiars NXT is certainly a superior product, but is overpriced and not easily available. I am now going to try the basic waxpol wax.
@mkh: all said and done, Meguiars is probably the best, but no one seems to stock it. Anybody tried sonax nano polish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atul-C View Post
I am still unsure about which product should I go for while polishing my car- Liquid or hard wax...
Putting on and buffing off hard wax is a complete workout in itself. But the results are worth it and it does a much better job of beading water than a liquid wax. However, keep a bottle of liquid wax handy for when you are feeling lazy of just don't have the time. IMO, hard/paste wax should be used at least once in 3-4 months.
Old 9th January 2010, 00:06   #1520
Senior - BHPian

If you rub off the wax before it dries, what is the point of waxing? Use a wax that doesn't attach hard onto rubber trim or just be careful not to get it anywhere on such pieces.
Old 9th January 2010, 00:25   #1521
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
You have to rub off the wax before it dries completely. If it does, you end up with green dust all over the car. Happened to me once and was quite irritating. In my case 1 tin of turtle wax hardshell saw me through a year and 3 applications on my swift. Each time the effects would last for 3-4 months. And my car does 25k km in a year, so I was impressed. Meguiars NXT is certainly a superior product, but is overpriced and not easily available. I am now going to try the basic waxpol wax.
@mkh: all said and done, Meguiars is probably the best, but no one seems to stock it. Anybody tried sonax nano polish?

Putting on and buffing off hard wax is a complete workout in itself. But the results are worth it and it does a much better job of beading water than a liquid wax. However, keep a bottle of liquid wax handy for when you are feeling lazy of just don't have the time. IMO, hard/paste wax should be used at least once in 3-4 months.
This is really interesting!!! I need to meet you and see the effect on the car- really cause either i am totally misusing the product or my understanding of what effect of wax is incorrect:( I applied NXT 2 weeks back and now i see the cloth moving not as smoothly over the surface when wiping..does that mean wax effect is gone? Man in b'lore if effect lasts 3-4 months it a great thing!!
Since am new to using wax maybe need to learn a few things...have never used wax in all these years( surprising)- been just using Silicone Glaze..
Old 9th January 2010, 01:11   #1522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
If you rub off the wax before it dries, what is the point of waxing......
I stand by what I said. If you let it dry completely turtlewax starts to powder. You get green dust (like after you use an eraser on paper) all over the beadings and windscreen. It does not stick to the rubber and can be dusted off. The trick is to buff it off just prior to this. Too early and whole point of waxing is lost. Too late and you get powdering. BTW, powdering happens even with 3M liquid wax if you leave it on for 15 min or so before buffing.

Quote:
This is really interesting!!! I need to meet you and see the effect on the car....
I last used Turtle in August '09. The shine lasted for a good 2 months. I put a layer of 3m liquid wax end September and even now my car still has some 'polish gleam' left and beads water. Perhaps the best thing to do is to use paste wax first and 'sharpen' it up with some liquid wax a few weeks later. But I'm just speculating.
I have also used waxpol silky touch. It is rubbish.

Last edited by Roy.S : 9th January 2010 at 01:16. Reason: Typo
Old 9th January 2010, 18:18   #1523
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I stand by what I said. If you let it dry completely turtlewax starts to powder. You get green dust (like after you use an eraser on paper) all over the beadings and windscreen. It does not stick to the rubber and can be dusted off. The trick is to buff it off just prior to this. Too early and whole point of waxing is lost. Too late and you get powdering. BTW, powdering happens even with 3M liquid wax if you leave it on for 15 min or so before buffing.

I last used Turtle in August '09. The shine lasted for a good 2 months. I put a layer of 3m liquid wax end September and even now my car still has some 'polish gleam' left and beads water. Perhaps the best thing to do is to use paste wax first and 'sharpen' it up with some liquid wax a few weeks later. But I'm just speculating.
august means rains in b'lore- so almost every 2nd day we have to use car shampoo-correct? how many times did you wipe/wash the car in between?
And by wax already there the only check is water beading or even the surface should be slick and smooth -when wiping?
Old 9th January 2010, 18:26   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys!

Just pampered my i20 this morning!

I :-

- dusted off the car and then wet the surface to be treated with drinking water and used Meguiars clay kit to smoothen out the surface

- applied Highlighting Glaze and let it dry for some time and then removed with a mf cloth(boy it gives a great shine and wet look! )

- Topped it with Wax and buffing(meguiars gold class liquid wax)

- did a full body buffing with a clean mf towel

results were totally amazing!!!

now my i20 is looking much much better as compared to last week when I had washed and waxed it!!!

Glaze does give some really serious shine

Check out the after pics!
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0002.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0003.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0004.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-edited-005.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0006.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0007.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0009.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0010.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0011.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-edited-12.jpg  

Old 9th January 2010, 18:48   #1525
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Hey guys!

- dusted off the car and then wet the surface to be treated with drinking water and used Meguiars clay kit to smoothen out the surface

- applied Highlighting Glaze and let it dry for some time and then removed with a mf cloth(boy it gives a great shine and wet look! )

- Topped it with Wax and buffing(meguiars gold class liquid wax)

- did a full body buffing with a clean mf towel

results were totally amazing!!!

now my i20 is looking much much better as compared to last week when I had washed and waxed it!!!

Check out the after pics!
superb results- the glaze acts as a polish -which is one step in between what is recommended in the 5 step process. which product did you use- meguiars? Did not see any product in megs with that name..
One question about using clay kit- after u washed, did the surface feel rough to use the clay kit? I think only then should the clay kit be used or anyways it should be? Also can the clay bar be re-used? Am having a clay kit but dunno how to use it:(
How old is you car?
On a light note: be careful man- your car will surely attract attention with the super shine, don't want kids hovering around it esp since out in the open!

Last edited by mkh : 9th January 2010 at 18:50. Reason: added text
Old 9th January 2010, 21:24   #1526
BHPian

Quote:
your hardwork in pampering your beauty has really paid off man. awesome shine there.

Quote:
be careful man- your car will surely attract attention with the super shine, don't want kids hovering around it esp since out in the open!
this exactly happened to me last week .washed and waxed my i10 silver,but some moron purposely used a rough object to scratch the rear right door.
Old 9th January 2010, 22:22   #1527
BANNED

My car is full of small clear coat scratches (& 2-3 slightly deeper scratches) & Swirl marks. I had always planned to get a paint treatment done after car completes 1 year so that those inevitable small scratches & swirls can also be taken care of. There are 2 treatments I'm looking at to choose one from: (1) 3M or (2) WAXOYL. 3M has 2 treatments - paint protection & surface refinement. However, at ground level what they actually are doing on new as well as old cars is surface refinement. I had asked 3M guys at 3 different dealership - last time I asked him to show me the bottle also. He showed me bottle of the cream they apply on entire car - it was Rubbing Compund . In that way, WAXOYL sounds to be better. But looking at my 1 year old car with full of swirls & small scratches, which treatment you guys recommend out of these 2 ? Details of both treatments & link as below:

3M India: Exterior

Opulent

Quote:

Products > Waxoyl > 100 Plus Paint Sealant

Crystal clear high-gloss paint protection for new cars against environmental influences such as sun, wind and weather.
The long-lasting protective polymer film for all types of car paintwork.
Maintains long-lasting gloss for all painting processes.
Allows water to run off better.
Protects against UV radiation and stops the paintwork fading.
Protects against environmental influences and oxidation.
Used or recommended by manufacturers and importers.
Forms a long-lasting tough, glass-like protective seal on paint.
Quote:

3M Paint Protection Treatments

UV Protection
UV Protection against fading prevents paint fade on the car exterior due to exposure to UV rays. It doesn't just protect your car from this natural oxidation but also gives a durable, ultra-high gloss. Recommended for all new cars.

Exterior Beautification
Exterior Beautification is suitable for any age and condition of car. The treatment thoroughly cleans and shines the car surface to create a rich, 'just like new' look and covers painted surfaces, engine compartment, tyres, glasses, bumpers and rubber/plastic parts.

Minor Scratch/Swirl Removal & Surface Enhancement

Minor Scratch/Swirl removal and Surface Enhancement removes light/medium scratches, oxidation, stains and paint imperfections resulting in a brilliant, durable, 'wet look' finish. Restores natural sheen to painted surfaces, engine compartment, tyres, glass and rubber/vinyl parts.
Old 9th January 2010, 22:31   #1528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
superb results- the glaze acts as a polish -which is one step in between what is recommended in the 5 step process. which product did you use- meguiars? Did not see any product in megs with that name..
One question about using clay kit- after u washed, did the surface feel rough to use the clay kit? I think only then should the clay kit be used or anyways it should be? Also can the clay bar be re-used? Am having a clay kit but dunno how to use it:(
How old is you car?
On a light note: be careful man- your car will surely attract attention with the super shine, don't want kids hovering around it esp since out in the open!
I used 'DuPont Highlighting Glaze' its a white colored bottle I got from a local dent repair guy

Claying

The surface was not exactly rough, but kinda waxy!(from the last waxing session I guess)
But since claying also strips off the old wax so it was kinda essential for what I had in mind!

I used 'drinking water mixed with car shampoo in a spray bottle' as a lubricant for the clay

just cleaned the surface and then sprayed on the above(lubricant) and held the clay in one hand such that it had stuck to my dry hand and then glided it along the surface(kinda like rubbing but with less pressure)

You'll find a great article here explaining the claying process - Detailing Clay & Pre-wax Cleaning - Autopia.org

btw my car is a month and 2 days old now!(took delivery on 7th December)

And Oh yea! while I was detailing, many passers by were commenting and telling me not to 'polish' it often while I was waxing! lol

And get this, a dent repair guy was walking past when I was glazing and he said 'Teflon kar rahe ho?' (English translation - 'You're applying Teflon?')
I never laughed so hard!
and the poor guy didn't know what was that all about lol

+ I have a DVR system with 3 day/night cameras which continuously monitor the area around my car +my dad's

any movement, and I get a audio alert from the dvr unit + motion sensor initiated recording.(also useful when I need to have a look at my love without having to go out!)

A lotta kids now know about the camera(after I caught em doing stuff with proof that I showed to their parents!!) and kinda fear it! lol

I'll protect my love till the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjeevan View Post
your hardwork in pampering your beauty has really paid off man. awesome shine there.
Thanks man! I guess my love for my car is driving me to such hardwork

and at the end of the day when you drive around looking at the '' on people's faces, you cant help but chuckle and feel great inside!

Quote:
this exactly happened to me last week .washed and waxed my i10 silver,but some moron purposely used a rough object to scratch the rear right door.
Whoa! thats really sad!!
I feel really-really bad when something like that happens!
(we care for our cars, we wash /wax it, put so much hardwork in it and someone just comes around and spoils everything!!

It just makes me wanna cry)

EDIT -
@VahanPujari -

I think the Waxpol mentioned treatment acts in protecting the new car finish better!
3M on the other hand offers treatments for swirls and scratches(most of which are done by rubbing compounds)(http://www.autopia-carcare.com/swirl...scratches.html)

Last edited by sohail99 : 9th January 2010 at 22:41.
Old 9th January 2010, 22:39   #1529
BANNED

Quote:
Hey guys!

Awsome, Awsome !!

How much time did it take for each activity - Claying, Gaze, waxing & buffing ?

Where did you get following from?

- Meguiars clay kit
- applied Highlighting Glaze
- meguiars gold class liquid wax

Also about DVR system, source & price, if available

Last edited by VahanPujari : 9th January 2010 at 22:44.
Old 9th January 2010, 22:47   #1530
BHPian

Quote:
I stand by what I said. If you let it dry completely turtlewax starts to powder.
Perhaps the best thing to do is to use paste wax first and 'sharpen' it up with some liquid wax a few weeks later. But I'm just speculating.
You shouldn't let the hard wax dry out completely. You should give it about 2 -5 min max for the wax to haze over and then wipe away the excess.
I have Mothers california gold paste wax . It is very easy to use and gives very good results.
Turtlewax is turtlecrap.. Try meguires or mothers .. Heard waxpol pure wax is also good.
Some links to car detailing
http://www.detailguide.com/
http://www.waxforum.com/
http://www.meguiars.com/howtocenter/
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/
Quote:
Hey guys!

Your car looks truly beautiful!
Just my 2 cents. Always thoroughly wash the car with a good car shampoo and get it as clean as possible before trying the claybar. And ideally claybar is always used with the detailer they give with it and not with water. If used improperly wax bar can cause surface marks on your paint.
Quote:

Its the indian mentality " IF i cant be happy, atleast i can spoil the happiness of others"
Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
My car is full of small clear coat scratches (& 2-3 slightly deeper scratches) & Swirl marks. But looking at my 1 year old car with full of swirls & small scratches, which treatment you guys recommend out of these 2 ? Details of both treatments & link as below:
The general consenses at this forum is that you dont do Teflon coating on your car. I dont know what kind of coating opulent is. For your problem of swirls and scratches , the 3m scratch removal treatment looks more appropriate . Actually i had been to a Chevy showroom recently and i saw a lot of cars covered in a white coating and upon closer inspection found it was rubbing compund which they were using on brand new cars before delivery! So using it on a one year old car with scratches is comparitively more milder.

Last edited by -NUT-case : 9th January 2010 at 22:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks