Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2018, 16:07   #1471
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

It seems core issue is battery not getting charged properly now as you mentioned in past it was due to earthing, in my case it was due to alternator. I did not changed the alternator but got it repaired. My FNG guy shows me that inner shaft was cut and he only replaced it. Costed me 2k only. At VW service station they wanted to change whole unit costing 13k + labour.

For engine Mount I think it can only happen at ASS, it was long ago and cost was approximately 5-6k.Now in last 3 years this may no longer be valid.
karansm4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 07:12   #1472
BHPian

I was wondering if anyone has changed the wheel covers for their polo. Mine got stolen (all 4) and the new ones are pretty expensive. I have seen few after market covers in sector 14 Gurgaon but the quality doesn't inspires me. Moreover none of the samples I saw were close to the charm of original. Any guidance is much appreciated
Old 24th May 2018, 14:01   #1473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambersariya87 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has changed the wheel covers for their polo. ...
That is very sad to hear! India is getting more and more like London every day.

I am not greatly attached to alloy wheels for looks or status (although they do indeed look good) but I like that there are no hub caps to steal! Of course, in some places, people take the whole wheels.

Cost of replacement? The only suggestion I have is to see if anything is available from, eg, Aliexpress at lower-than-dealer price. Quite a lot of stuff is, and has been used by those here that mod their cars.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 11:41   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone has changed the wheel covers for their polo. Mine got stolen (all 4) and the new ones are pretty expensive. I have seen few after market covers in sector 14 Gurgaon but the quality doesn't inspires me. Moreover none of the samples I saw were close to the charm of original. Any guidance is much appreciated
You have only 2 options:

1. Check the scrap market for OE wheel caps
2. Check OLX or other such sites where people may want to sell wheel caps in cases where they updated to alloys.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 12:56   #1475

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone has changed the wheel covers for their polo. Mine got stolen (all 4) ... Any guidance is much appreciated
Rather than buy new covers, I felt it worthwhile to invest in a set of alloys. Ask for the older edition of the Polo alloys - they're inexpensive..
ataraxia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 16:25   #1476
BHPian

Quote:
One wheel cover was missing from my Polo, had fallen off some time. I didn't even realize when it happened. Last year during regular service, they asked me if I want it replaced. The service guy told me I don't have to buy a set, I can buy a single one too. So I said yes. My mistake that I did not ask about the price. I was charged 2500 for one wheel cap :banghead:

Go for an aftermarket one. Don't pay ridiculous amount of money for that wheel cap.
Old 27th May 2018, 17:08   #1477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataraxia View Post
Rather than buy new covers, I felt it worthwhile to invest in a set of alloys. Ask for the older edition of the Polo alloys - they're inexpensive..
That is a really good idea. Are the tyres transferable?
Old 27th May 2018, 17:26   #1478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That is a really good idea. Are the tyres transferable?
Depends on the variant you own.

If you have the pre facelift comfortline or trendline the tyres are 14 inchers, meaning they won't fit the the 15 inch alloy rims.

However, if you own the facelifted comfortline (comes with 15 inch steel rims) then you can go for the current or the pre facelift highline alloys. You can also opt for the Polo GT's alloys (highly recommended if available).

Unfortunately, the Trendline facelift still seems to come with 14 inch rims, so a change of tyres is compulsory.
Old 29th May 2018, 13:28   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Depends on the variant you own.

If you have the pre facelift comfortline or trendline the tyres are 14 inchers, meaning they won't fit the the 15 inch alloy rims.

However, if you own the facelifted comfortline (comes with 15 inch steel rims) then you can go for the current or the pre facelift highline alloys. You can also opt for the Polo GT's alloys (highly recommended if available).

Unfortunately, the Trendline facelift still seems to come with 14 inch rims, so a change of tyres is compulsory.
Mine has got R15 Apollo accelere tyres as I have 2013 comfortline model. I think the rims are 15" too.. please correct me if I am missing something here.
Old 29th May 2018, 13:48   #1480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mine has got R15 Apollo accelere tyres as I have 2013 comfortline model. I think the rims are 15" too.. please correct me if I am missing something here.
Yes. Certain polo comfortlines did have 15 inch rims before the facelift as well. You can directly swap to OEM alloys without changing the tyres.
Old 1st June 2018, 13:26   #1481
BANNED

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone has changed the wheel covers for their polo. Mine got stolen (all 4) and the new ones are pretty expensive.
I was at VW Gurugram workshop, around 2 months back they offered me flat 75% discount on the Polo GT 15 inch alloys; you can go and talk to them, probably you can get a set of new alloys for 20k itself.

Okay gentlemen, I got a new itch.

I kind of like my Polo petrol for the responsiveness of the engine for city drives, a very progressive clutch and wonderful shift quality, but the NVH is poor. I have got the underhood black cover installed, but I am still not satisfied; hence now I have decided to try this item on the firewall between engine and passenger compartment:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10mm...ceBeautifyAB=0

Comments and suggestions welcome, if any. I believe that 2 square meter of this item should be enough to make a proper insulating layer inside my hood, has anyone tried anything like this ever?

Last edited by VKumar : 1st June 2018 at 13:28.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:26   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
I was at VW Gurugram workshop, around 2 months back they offered me flat 75% discount on the Polo GT 15 inch alloys; you can go and talk to them, probably you can get a set of new alloys for 20k itself.
Thanks for information. I will give them a call to check if they still are running discount.

Also I checked out the link for AliExpress and there is a chart for noise reduction for this product. From what I know is that 3 dB reduction in noise isn't much to be noticed.

Also wouldn't it cause the engine compartment to overheat owing to high temperatures in NCR.
Old 24th June 2018, 09:58   #1483

Hello Folks

My Polo 1.5 TDI just completed 5 months and 6100 KM on ODO. Yesterday, en route to Mt. Abu, the steering suddenly started a rattling noise when going over rough patches. It was more like a vibration beneath steering wheel. It vanishes on smooth tarmac. Can anyone throw some light on this?
Old 25th June 2018, 11:10   #1484
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

Would like to know the cost of replacement of Polo 1.2 MPi's battery.
Mine is 6 years old, and I want to change it proactively.
Old 27th June 2018, 00:18   #1485
Senior - BHPian

Facing a strange issue that I'd never really noticed until now. The front passenger seat of the Polo feels a bit "twisted" towards the driver. If the seat is pushed forward, it hits the center console before the travel range is fully finished and the front passenger feels like he has to sit at a slight angle towards the driver. As a result, your back is either a bit twisted or your right leg is uncomfortable as it is against the center console.

I checked another Polo today and felt the same. Anyone else get this slightly twisted feel?

Most Viewed