Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2017, 16:21   #1381
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariwell View Post
Hello all
I have a 2011 polo and my car needs new brake pads I am from
Bombay and am currently residing in Udupi area my car needs new brake pads on an urgent basis the back plate it touching the rotor on the left side
This has gone too far. You are probably aware that you have already damaged the disc.
Quote:
P.S my car has brembo rotors
I wouldn't have thought that there was anything esoteric about replacing break pads on any car. Is the the Bembro thing that worries them?

Driving the car with front brakes on one wheel probably of very reduced effectiveness? Probably most of us would rather not.
Old 30th November 2017, 17:04   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariwell View Post
P.S my car has brembo rotors
Your rotors look pretty shot to me, since they are slotted I don't think they are salvageable.

Brake pads should be inspected at every service, I am actually amazed by the fact that replacing them were not emphasized to you well by the service center, if they missed it out you should definitely look for other FNG to get your car serviced.

Pramod
Old 30th November 2017, 19:45   #1383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This has gone too far. You are probably aware that you have already damaged the disc.

I wouldn't have thought that there was anything esoteric about replacing break pads on any car. Is the the Bembro thing that worries them?

Driving the car with front brakes on one wheel probably of very reduced effectiveness? Probably most of us would rather not.
I got the rotors skimmed and new pads put on the rotors were very much salvageable although I will not be using them for very long got it done at another FNG. Both the rotors and pads will be changed when I come to Bombay 2 weeks from now this was just so that I could make it there. I too of course was skeptical if Driving the car with just one brake functioning properly and it was my last option. I am sure that vw being the deceiving crooks that they are would not skim my rotors for me and would insist on getting new rotors and charge me a bomb for it. When my mum took her vento for a service they sold her new brake discs and pads for a 1 yr old car and charged her 18k for it (one brake disc and 2 pads) when the discs could easily have been skimmed this is just one out of many of our horrible experiences with VW A.S.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Your rotors look pretty shot to me, since they are slotted I don't think they are salvageable.

Brake pads should be inspected at every service, I am actually amazed by the fact that replacing them were not emphasized to you well by the service center, if they missed it out you should definitely look for other FNG to get your car serviced.

Pramod
Yes I am aware my car was last serviced 10,000kms and the brake pads had only done 5k kms then and were in pretty good shape they had warned me against brembo brake pads though.

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-imageuploadedbyteambhp1512051292.642372.jpg
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-imageuploadedbyteambhp1512051315.573829.jpg

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th June 2018 at 11:53. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
Ferrariwell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 20:41   #1384
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad to know you are safely back on the road. Whereas some may be in it to increase the bill, service guys usually give a fair opinion as to whether or not brake pads are good until the next year. I don't know, but, unless you are doing regular mountain driving, yours didn't seem to last long?
Old 18th December 2017, 19:07   #1385
Senior - BHPian

Hello all! It turns out that some time ago, when fitting seat covers, one of the screws behind the front seat on the seat travel rails got cross threaded.

Now, I'm not sure what the best course of action is to fix it. Any ideas?
Old 19th December 2017, 11:52   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Hello all! It turns out that some time ago, when fitting seat covers, one of the screws behind the front seat on the seat travel rails got cross threaded.

Now, I'm not sure what the best course of action is to fix it. Any ideas?
Take it to a Lathe guy and get it re-threaded and install a new corresponding bolt. It's a 15 minute job.
One of the more reasons why not to put those idiotic ergonomics-spoiling seat covers

Last edited by KkVaidya : 19th December 2017 at 11:54.
KkVaidya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 11:07   #1387
BHPian

I have a few queries about my June-2016 GT TSI.

- I had my 1st (paid) service done during May '2017 when the odometer was about 6.3K Kms (The first service is to be done either at 15K Kms or 1 year, whichever is earlier)
- During the 1st service, 4 liters of engine oil was replaced (3372489 MAG. PRO OE5 / OL3372489) along with the oil filter.
- The odometer now reads about 14.6K Kms. (approx 8.3K Kms since the last oil change)
- I have the following questions

Q1. Where do I find the service interval for my car? The service manual has a table for PR Nos Q1/Q2/Q3/Q4 etc. I am unable to figure out where to find this Qx information for my car.

Q2. Considering the engine has run 8.3K Kms / 6 months (80% city, 20% highways) when would it be a good time to change the engine oil?

Q3. What engine oil do I use? The owner's manual is not specific about the oil to use.

Q4. Should the engine oil replacement be done at a VW ASS or can it be done at any FNG? I ask since I have opted for the 4 year extended warranty?
Old 28th December 2017, 12:42   #1388
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Anyone had success fixing glove box rattling sound ? event on a small patchy road it starts stuttering and now i feel that the sound had passed on to the front passenger seat as well.

It is now getting on my nerves when I drive without music(which I often do)

Appreciate your help

regards
Kishore kumar.k
Old 28th December 2017, 14:24   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I have a few queries about my June-2016 GT TSI.

Q1. Where do I find the service interval for my car? The service manual has a table for PR Nos Q1/Q2/Q3/Q4 etc. I am unable to figure out where to find this Qx information for my car.

Q2. Considering the engine has run 8.3K Kms / 6 months (80% city, 20% highways) when would it be a good time to change the engine oil?

Q3. What engine oil do I use? The owner's manual is not specific about the oil to use.

Q4. Should the engine oil replacement be done at a VW ASS or can it be done at any FNG? I ask since I have opted for the 4 year extended warranty?
The service interval is 1 year or 15k kilometers whichever is earlier. So 1st service will be 1 year or 15k kms. 2nd service will be on 2 years or 30k kms whichever is earlier and so on. You can get your car serviced and your oil changed on the 2nd anniversary of your car or when it completes 30k kms, whichever is earlier.

If your car is under warranty, better to get it serviced from VW Authorized Service Centre.
Ketan T is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 14:33   #1390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a few queries about my June-2016 GT TSI. ...
The service interval is as you mention: every one year, or every 15K km. Whichever comes sooner.

You do not need to even think about oil change except at service times. But you should regularly check the level on the dipstick and top up if necessary. TDI seems to need this but I haven't heard of young TSIs doing so. But still... it should be checked.

You should not do this work yourself or at other than a dealer service station due to warranty conditions guaranteeing their income ()

EDIT: Or... what Ketan T just said. Sorry, crossposted.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 28th December 2017 at 14:36.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 20:09   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Summarising our discussion over PM earlier today

1. What you have in the car is Castrol Magnatec Professional 5w40 fully synthetic oil but that isn’t available on the open market, only sold in bulk to OE dealers.

2. You need a vw 502 00 / 504 00 specced oil. Castrol Magnatec Professional and Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 are 502 00 spec while this Mobil fully synthetic 5w30 (which should be decent for a modern petrol or Diesel engine) is vw 504 00 https://www.amazon.in/Mobil-ESP-5W-3.../dp/B00SFNNTSE

Mobil themselves have a 502 00 oil that’s 0w40 that you may consider instead of the 5w30 http://www.mobil1.co.in/products/product-oem-vw.aspx
http://www.mobil1.co.in/products/product_0W40.aspx

In fact just go for the 0w40 to be on the safer side as you’re currently using 502 00 specced oil in your ride.

I wouldn’t push even a fully synthetic oil to 15k km, 10k max so check the level periodically around 8-9k and at least top up

Quote:
- During the 1st service, 4 liters of engine oil was replaced (3372489 MAG. PRO OE5 / OL3372489) along with the oil filter.
- The odometer now reads about 14.6K Kms. (approx 8.3K Kms since the last oil change)
- I have the following questions

Last edited by hserus : 28th December 2017 at 20:17.
Old 28th December 2017, 20:29   #1392
BANNED

So my ignition coil + transformer+ leads are defective at 28k kms/3yrs
The lower control arm is also cracked.
Parts not in stock, so waiting for that.
Other common failures in the 1.2 tsi include the water pump and oil seal thingy for the engine.
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:00   #1393
BHPian

Hi all,

Recently my 2015 Polo GT TSI was hit by a biker on the front left fender. The bottom GT grill (fog lamps) have been damaged and bumper is now showing a gap from the left side (joined with body).

Went to VW Bodyshop in Gurgaon and he has quoted a 11k to replace bumper, paint and bottom grill.

Since I don't have zero dep, insurance will foot half the amount.

Need advise as to a the accuracy of the claim. Does the front bumper, fog lamp grill and paint job (white) cost 11k?

Any inputs will be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 6th January 2018, 00:59   #1394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
I also got the safety bolts installed this time since these were available in the service center.
A little late but just a word of caution - please insist your service center or the wheel alignment/balancing center to use a torque wrench with the mandated torque setting for wheel bolts while tightening these security bolts with the adapter and not their pneumatic wrench.

I've used these bolts before and have had a hard time when the VW service center folks nearly stripped the security pattern on 2 out of 4 wheels by using the pneumatic wrench. (from my ownership thread post; read the part under 'Removing anti-theft bolts') We were nearly on the verge of welding a bar on the bolt because it wouldn't budge and after several dozen tries, it finally did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
Does the front bumper, fog lamp grill and paint job (white) cost 11k?
These were the prices for the front bumper components, back in March 2016:

Front bumper - 6RG807217A GRU - Rs 3530
Cover for towing eye - 6RG807241B GRU – Rs. 55
Set of fog lamp covers - 6RG898665F – Rs. 870
Center vent grille - 6RG853671A RYP – Rs. 652
Spoiler - 6RG805915A 9B9 – Rs. 100

Not sure about the painting charges.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th January 2018 at 01:03.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2018, 08:57   #1395
Senior - BHPian

This in regards to a Polo 1.2 manual.
In idle speed or when in crawling speeds, there is a sound from the engine bay like some part is touching something because of the three cylinder vibration. In the cabin it is very clear.
When I opened the hood and gave some pressure on the right side engine mount, it stopped. But I am yet to confirm if that was the sound by making someone sit inside to be sure.

Is there any known complaint with the engine mount on the 1.2 Polo?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks