Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2017, 17:02   #1246
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Has anyone tried asking ASS, about ordering the arm-rest + WORKING rear AC arrangement and fitting it to our polos?
Old 20th March 2017, 12:44   #1247
BHPian

I have a 2016 Polo GT TSi and I took my car for the first year/15,000 km service at Frontier Gurgaon Center on the 15th of March 2017. My car ODO reading was 9902 kms when I took it for the service that day.

My overall experience was just about average.

This being the week following Holi, most of their advisors were on their day off and I had to wait a bit to get someone to speak to me. Apart from random rattles the only issue I had faced was that there were vibrations felt on the brake pedal on applying brakes above the speed of 80 kmph.

I was told that they would need to check the run-out of the front disks to confirm uneven wear of the same and as expected there was an issue.

The manager offered to do the facing using a lathe and told me the charges would be Rs 1800 for the same. Once told them sternly that I did not expects this problem to occur on the brakes in the first year and asked for a written explanation, the charges were brought down Rs 500 and I agreed to get it done and to finally escalate it VW through their customer care

When I finally reached the station to pick up my car later that day they had finished all the work except cleaning and I asked the SA to get it expedited. Then came the billing and I had told them not to do the wheel alignment + balancing and had refused for the AC disinfectant and windscreen shampoo.

But the bill did come with a surprise addition of Rs 850 for throttle body cleaning and Rs 135 for a hexagonal bolt which the SA never informed about. Upon me raising the issue with the manager they told me the maximum they could do was to reduce the price for cleaning to Rs 550 which they did. The SA was also clueless about the the Hexagonal bolt which I chose to ignore as by this time I was in a hurry to leave but since the cleaning of the car was much below expectations I had to spend good 15 mins more at the service station.

I did escalate the issue in an email to VW customer care and eventually the GM of service called me up and apologized for the throttle body and hexagonal bolt surprise and told me they'll give me a voucher for free dry cleaning the next time I visit them but he had no explanation for the reason behind the uneven disc wear and kept on blaming the driving conditions/style.

I have driven the car for about 200 kms since the service and the brake vibrations have gone. Overall there is no significant change in the way it drives if I compare pre and post service state of the car.

All in all I was a little disappointed with VW service. I am attaching the invoice for your reference.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20170316_132235.jpg  

Old 21st March 2017, 11:33   #1248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
I have a 2016 Polo GT TSi and I took my car for the first year/15,000 km service at Frontier Gurgaon Center on the 15th of March 2017. My car ODO reading was 9902 kms when I took it for the service that day.

All in all I was a little disappointed with VW service. I am attaching the invoice for your reference.
Similar experience that I had and posted here;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-257.html

VW cars are good, however it is this factor that makes me think twice before going for one.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 21:29   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
I am including an image indicating the maintenence labour operations.

I went through the service schedule book, and I was mistaken as it does not have the change at 90,000 kms clearly indicated. However, I did find something about what they call severe running conditions. Fuel with high sulphur content, stop-and-go traffic, long idle times, etc. make up the severe running conditions.

This entails early replacement of a number of things, including the cam/timing belt.

Perhaps, this is the reason I see the service centers, I go to, always changing the timing, serpentine belts, and using what they call the engine repair kit, at the 90,000 km interval.

P.S. The condition of the serpentine belt in my car, at 84,000 kilometers/5 years, was similar to that of the belt shown in the image attached below, just not as severely cracked. (Image credit humblemechanic.com)
An update on this. I was informed by the workshop folks that they had some timing belt failures before 120,000 kilometers/6 years, as specified in some service schedules.

However, in the labour operations chart at the service centers, it is mentioned at 90,000 kilometers/5 years. This change was made over to the belt failures, considering the adverse running conditions in our country, as per them.
Old 26th March 2017, 08:47   #1250
BANNED

Now my turn
Service station: Frontier Gurgaon

I have got a Polo MPi and. Polo TDi together. Have been so far satisfied with the Gurgaon folks, and I haven't got surprise bills too till date.

Now, my diesel Polo which I bought in December 2015, went for its third kr say 45k kms service with 43k kms on odo. Here are a couple of brilliantly annoying experiences:

1) I got the number of my service adviser via SMS message, it is some new adviser and not the one I specifically told the name of, to give my car to. Additionally, I told them that adviser will talk to me before opening the job card, that call never came. Had to call their GM and then some other guy gave me a call, when the car was already on the lift.

2) I got a phone call stating that some N75 (or 75N or whatever) valve is making noise. Now this valve creates some vacuum as per the guy who called me. A warranty replacement any ways.

3) I called up the service adviser whose number came to me via SMS message, just to get the shock of my life. Well, this guy didn't even knew that my car is being serviced under him and was going some warranty replacement.

4) Later called their front office manager and now he has assured me that he will take care of everything under him.

I am getting the car back tomorrow, and I am uncertain over everything including bill and whatever they have done. Next time onwards, I will make sure to either drive myself and look at the car getting serviced myself, you never know what these guys are up to.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 12:58   #1251
Senior - BHPian

These are definitely unfortunate incidents, however such cases are prevalent with almost all other service stations. Even the most well regarded of service stations end up doing such things at one time or another. I would consider things like overcharging, fraudulent billing etc to be real concerns, but each to his own and I respect that.
Old 30th March 2017, 16:34   #1252
BHPian

Hi all. I have a 2011 polo and it needs a new set of rear shock absorbers. My car has the shock absorbers that are made in Germany that are more biased to handling than comfort. Visited a few spare parts shops in Mumbai but none of them have them in stock. I even called up VW but they too are urging me to buy the Indian made ones which have a different part no. One of the key reasons I bought a Polo was because of its superior handling and it would just make me sad if that were compromised.

Does anyone have any idea where I can get the original German shock absorbers? The part no I believe is 6RU 513 025 A

Also I gave this part no too the VW Downtown Sewri people since they wouldn't give me the part no of the ones they had in stock stating its company policy. Apparently only after creating a ruckus of how they were not being transparent with their customers did they tell me that they would cross reference the part nos and get back to me. They also later told me that this part no is for a Vento, not a Polo - now as far as I know (I could be wrong) the Vento and Polo have the same shock absorbers.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th March 2017 at 18:31. Reason: Post edited. Please use proper punctuation / capitalization!
Ferrariwell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 18:46   #1253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariwell View Post
Hi all I have a 2011 polo and it needs a new set of rear shock absorbers. My car has the shock absorbers that are made in germany that are more biased to handling than comfort visited a few spare parts shops in mumbai but none of them have them in stock. I even called up VW but they too are urging me to buy the indian made ones which have a different part no. One of the key reasons I bought a polo was because of its superior handling and it would just make me sad if that were compromised does anyone have any idea where I can get the orignal german shock absorbers the part no I believe is 6RU 513 025 A
Also i gave this part no too the vw downtown sewri people since they wouldn't give me the part no of the ones they had in stock stating its company policy apparently only after creating a ruckus of how they were not being transparent with their customers did they tell me that they would cross reference the part nos and get back to me they also later told me that this part no is for a vento not a polo now as far as I know (I could be wrong) the vento and polo have the same shock absorbers.
You can look for the part number on the body of the shock dampers currently installed in your car. Your car may well be having dampers bearing the part number you mentioned.

You can ask them to order the dampers. I have had 2 sets ordered in the recent past.
halfbytecode is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 10:49   #1254
BHPian

I don't think the Polo and Vento should have the same rear suspension because the Vento has an additional 100-200kg of weight at the back, and when you fill up the boot, that difference will increase. That said, parts commonality can take precedence over perfect ride/handling.
Why don't you take the help of the VW tuners in India? I know VAG Tune is one. If they can source aftermarket suspension from Europe for the Polo, surely they can source OEM shocks for you.

My recent experience is similar to yours - my left mirror motor stopped adjusting for up/down six months after the car was delivered. I don't trust service centres at all, so tried getting it repaired independently, which didn't work. I needed a new motor, so approached the Thane dealer, where I purchased the car from. They didn't get back to me two months after I'd ordered the part. Meanwhile I was managing with poking the mirror with my finger. I went a second time to the dealer, and the SA then actually asked me to order the part from another dealership! I asked a friend in the company what to do, and his advice was to go to another dealer.
Ended up at the VW Navi Mumbai service centre in Nerul. Very professional receptionist, who politely asked me for my car registration details and chassis number, then asked for the car registration. This puzzled me, and then it was explained to me that they don't sell spares over the counter. I then had to lean on them, and they finally agreed to sell me not the child part (Ford does this) but the entire assembly. The service centre was trying to fob off the glass as well because the assumption is that the mirror isn't working because it is hit, so the customer has to pay more.
Result, after a lot of arguing back and forth about electrical warranty getting void (I've got higher wattage bulbs and different speakers) and then an escalation to EVERY warranty getting void on the car (which is ridiculous) I paid an advance payment of Rs 3000 out of Rs 5500 for the left assembly and they've promised that the part will be ready for pickup in 4 working days.

Notes:
- The assembly doesn't include painting, which I'm certain will be an additional cost.
- Thane dealer quoted Rs 8500 for the child part, Nerul quoted Rs 5500 for entire assembly (motor+housing) minus actual mirror.
-http://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/compat-tweaks-cci-s-penalty-order-against-car-makers-116120901106_1.html

Last edited by isodope : 1st April 2017 at 10:59.
Old 1st April 2017, 15:18   #1255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isodope View Post
my left mirror motor stopped adjusting for up/down six months after the car was delivered. I don't trust service centres at all, so tried getting it repaired independently ...
Six months from new? Should have been a warranty repair. I'm surprised you even considered paying for parts or fitting
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 15:40   #1256
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think the Polo and Vento should have the same rear suspension because the Vento has an additional 100-200kg of weight at the back, and when you fill up the boot, that difference will increase.
In these cars, coil springs bear the weight of the car. Dampers merely dampen the spring action. Having said that, Vento has reinforced rear coil springs to handle the additional weight.

The dampers, being referred to, are used in some variants of a variety of VAG group cars, including Polo 6R, Polo 9N, Vento.
Old 3rd April 2017, 13:03   #1257
BHPian

Our 2016 TDI is facing a weird problem. Every time the reverse gear is engaged, there is a clunk noise from the gear lever and upon observing closely i could see that the lever throws up a bit while engaged in reverse thus making the noise.
This movement in lever does not disengage the reverse gear though. However, after this sound, disengaging reverse gear feels like pulling the lever from the position of first gear as it is not pressed that deep after the upward shift.
Could anyone guide me to a possible cause and solution?

Last edited by torque18 : 3rd April 2017 at 13:05.
Old 3rd April 2017, 16:49   #1258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Our 2016 TDI is facing a weird problem. Every time the reverse gear is engaged, there is a clunk noise from the gear lever and upon observing closely i could see that the lever throws up a bit while engaged in reverse thus making the noise.
This movement in lever does not disengage the reverse gear though. However, after this sound, disengaging reverse gear feels like pulling the lever from the position of first gear as it is not pressed that deep after the upward shift.
Could anyone guide me to a possible cause and solution?
You should visit the service center.
This could a problem with the gear shifter mechanism, rather than the gearbox itself.

A similar issue was there in Father-in-law's Verna, which was solved by adjusting the shifter mechanism.
Old 8th April 2017, 12:04   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
The VW Navi Mumbai service centre in Nerul finally agreed to sell me the part. They've promised that the part will be ready for pickup in 4 working days.
It took a call from me to the service centre, but they got the part in the quoted time. Total cost was Rs 5300. This is for the current-gen left mirror assembly - that means it is the one that folds. It doesn't include the glass, the front cover or the LED strip.

More notes:
- Receptionist forgot to ask me for the registration over the phone so wasted a lot of time standing at the counter, trying to find it in my email. If anyone knows why they need the registration scan, please let me know.
- I forgot the advance payment slip at home but they went through their system and found how much advance I paid. Full marks for covering up my error with effort and zero complaints.
- Was presented with a (re)sealed box at the counter. When I asked if I can open it and look at it, I was told that it won't be exchanged now. I found this very strange. All I wanted to do was make sure they gave me the part I ordered, and the box had already been opened and resealed with VAG branded sealing tape. I don't know how just looking can spoil a part.

If I don't update you any more about this, it means the installation went well and I can now see things when I back the car up. I'm not sure what to do with the almost-fully-functional older part now.
Old 10th April 2017, 17:23   #1260
BHPian

Diesel Service Action - http://www.volkswagenlabs.co.in/volk...ervice-action/

After receiving my car on Saturday completing 75K service, found the car to be much more awesome to drive. Has got butter smooth and the vibrations are absolutely gone after changing engine mount. Also, the dealer has carried out some software upgrade, details of which is mentioned in the link above. These upgrades were billed for 2K, though I was not charged for it. Not sure if the software upgrades also contributed to the refined drive, but just loving my car more and more as it gets older.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks