Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2016, 16:35   #1111
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
You can visit the VW workshop. They have all these details displayed for the customers.
All cars used to have a simple table in the service book where this could be consulted by anyone at any time. All the way up to high mileage stuff like timing-change replacement.

Old 29th October 2016, 16:07   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAWAYAJ View Post
Hi All,

Posting after a while on TBHP, and trust that all are doing well.

I took my Polo TSi for her 2nd year/30,000km service to VW Whitefield (Bangalore) this morning. SA (Roopesh) said that I should get the car by evening. He called at around 4pm saying that during a scan an error has been detected and that it will take 2hrs to fix this - he asked me to collect the car tomorrow. I asked him to fix it today itself, as I wouldn't be able to free up time tomorrow. He reluctantly agreed. Upon reaching the station at 6pm, I was surprised to see my car up on the hoist. I looked for the SA and upon finding him, I was told that there was an oil leak from the transmission that needed fixing, and the car will need to be with them for another day.

Strange thing is, there isn't a drop of oil in our parking lot, and never has been. I found it very hard to believe that this was the truth. He showed me a few drops of oil that had collected to the side of the transmission, above the tie rods, which he claimed was from the transmission. With a heavy heart, I was forced to leave the car behind and head back home. I've driven only 8.6k km in two years, by the way.

I'm not sure what to do next, or if I'm being taken for a ride. Is there something shady happening here? Given the SA's reluctance to give the car back earlier, and the pretext of the software scan which never came up again, I'm a little tense.

Any advice from BHPians?
Transmission oil leak at 8.6k? While the experts here might be able to provide better insights, can you share what exactly happened post the service? Were you able to get a detailed diagnosis of this, and does it seemed to be fixed now?
Old 29th October 2016, 16:33   #1113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind R View Post

Yes, I did balance and align the wheels, but that was done at Volkswagen. I hope that isn't the quality of their work reflected in it. Will give it a try outside.

Do you know any workshop to skim the rotors here in Trivandrum?
I think getting the wheel balancing checked outside might be worth it. Haven't done any rotor skimming in TVM. The skimming is actually done by lathes. The workshops just remove the discs and hand it over and tell them how much depth they want to skim off. Skimming off to much is also dangerous which is why more workshops recommend doing it only once. When you drag your fingers along the face of the rotor are there grooves that your finger nails catch on? Small grooves get levelled off in due course.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isodope View Post
Thank you - but I am not looking for the interval of service, I'm looking for the work that needs to be done at each service. For example, like you've mentioned, the first service at six months is merely an inspection. At one year/15,000 km the things that get changed are: air filter, oil, oil filter, pollen filter. Everything else is inspected. Somewhere around the 30,000 km mark, the brake pads will be up for replacement, At 50,000 km, the clutch will be next. These individual things aren't mentioned at all in the manuals.
Volkswagen didn't think that we were civilised enough to read and understand parts replacement schedules so left us at the mercy of their dealers.

You must be able to get an idea from other group cars. For instance Skoda has a service cost calculator. If you own a Vento or a Polo TDI select the Rapid TDI and the kilometers and it will list the parts and cost.

Of course this works where you have shared engine families. In other instance you may be able to get some information from European dealer websites. Some of them do have this information listed. Of course you then have to apply so adjustment for our conditions. For instance the pollen filter replacement interval for the Polo is 40K kms (or miles, I forget which) in UK. I decided to do it at 30K for my Polo. The fuel filter is another example. My SA on prodding told me that VW specifies a 30K replacement interval without warranty issues but they do it earlier at 15K in the interests of preventive maintenance.

Also watch out for your brake pad replacement. I found that mine came due between the 30K and 45K interval at 40K. Driving further would have meant scored discs. So past 30K get an FNG to take a look at them every 5K kms depending on your driving style.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th October 2016 at 18:12. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
Old 29th October 2016, 21:51   #1114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Volkswagen didn't think that we were civilised enough to read and understand parts replacement schedules so left us at the mercy of their dealers.
My guess is that they do not want...

a) people knowing how little is actually involved in the standard routine service for a young to middle-age car

and

b) taking the car somewhere else to get it done. Even after the warranty has expired.

They keep us hooked on dealer-service with their stupid warranty terms; if we have any sense, we go elsewhere the minute there is not more warranty to worry about.
Old 29th October 2016, 22:13   #1115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you - but I am not looking for the interval of service, I'm looking for the work that needs to be done at each service. For example, like you've mentioned, the first service at six months is merely an inspection. At one year/15,000 km the things that get changed are: air filter, oil, oil filter, pollen filter. Everything else is inspected. Somewhere around the 30,000 km mark, the brake pads will be up for replacement, At 50,000 km, the clutch will be next. These individual things aren't mentioned at all in the manuals.
1)Download the VW Service app in your phone
2) Select the 'Tips and Offers' option
3) Select 'Service'
4) Select ' Volkswagen Standard Service Operations'

You'll get a list of what's done till 105k service
I hope that's what you're looking for.
Turbohead is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2016, 17:37   #1116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the very conservative estimate for rough users who brake heavily.
At 3Yrs and 67000 km, I have only serviced routenely at 15k, 30k,45k and 60k. I clean the air and polen filter myself every 5k. Air and fuel filter was replaced every 15k, and polen filter at 30k and 60k
Tyres were rotated every 15K along with service, and wheels were aligned at 30k and 60k. I have checked brake pads for wear every service with a vernier, and the lining had worn down from 14mm when new to 9mm at 60K, the OE tyres have about 3.5mm tread depth.
I am getting a feel of slightly softer front RH strut, so I may replace the front pair at 75k service, along with the tyres. This should come up by March 2017, my opinion is that even if not worn tyres should be changed at 4 years, and brake pads should be checked routenely for lining thickness.
In all my previous cars brake pads have lasted close to a lakh km, and clutch between 1.5 and 2 lakh km.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2016, 21:40   #1117
Distinguished - BHPian

Brake pads should be replaced subject to wear, not subject to distance run.

Also, there is no lifetime for a clutch. Or, at least, not for the plates (I suppose springs and stuff might age?) In the hands (and feet) of a perfect driver a clutch would last for ever --- and even a quite-good driver might get close.
Old 31st October 2016, 21:18   #1118
BHPian

Polo GT TSI. 1 Year service

Hi guys,

Back from 1 year service for my Oct 2015 Polo GT TSI today. Services done are:
1. Air and Oil filter change
2. Engine oil change
3. Wheel alignment and balancing
4. Dust and Pollen filter change
5. A.C disinfection
6. Antipest treatment
7. Tinkering and bumper painting for some big scratches.
8. Brake fluid change

Total cost: 13,977. This includes full bumper painting for 2850 bucks. So service alone cost 11k, which seems to be the norm

Labour 7.4k and parts 6.5k

PFA the breakup
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20161021_100626.jpg  

Old 31st October 2016, 22:34   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In the hands (and feet) of a perfect driver a clutch would last for ever --- and even a quite-good driver might get close.
I'm nitpicking but as starting off from a standstill always requires clutch slip so technically, even a perfect driver couldn't make a clutch last forever.

Broader point taken though!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 17:52   #1120
BHPian

Thank you all for responding - I wasn't expecting this big a response, and I certainly wasn't expecting an early resolution! Special thanks to Turbohead for the easy solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
You can visit the VW workshop. They have all these details displayed for the customers.
The reason I want the details is that I want to avoid going to the VW workshop! They usually have labour costs displayed per thing done, or the total cost of service. Very rarely do they readily display details of the service, because then we'd know that a lot of what they do at every service is optional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
The fuel filter is another example. My SA on prodding told me that VW specifies a 30K replacement interval without warranty issues but they do it earlier at 15K in the interests of preventive maintenance.
Drive on,
Shibu.
It's less a matter of opinion and more a matter of scaring us into returning to official service, which is where they actually make their money. Sales are just a way to get the customer to service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I hope that's what you're looking for.
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Hi guys,
Back from 1 year service for my Oct 2015 Polo GT TSI today. Services done Total cost: 13,977. This includes full bumper painting for 2850 bucks. So service alone cost 11k, which seems to be the norm
Why do you have such an early brake fluid change? Also, what is this 'special lubricant' VW has given to your car? Makes it sound like they've got it from one of those *cough* wellness websites.

For reference, here's a screenshot of the work required for every service.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-whatsapp-image-20161102-5.42.17-pm.jpeg  

isodope is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 18:25   #1121
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you have such an early brake fluid change? Also, what is this 'special lubricant' VW has given to your car? Makes it sound like they've got it from one of those *cough* wellness websites.

For reference, here's a screenshot of the work required for every service.
Ya I noticed that I have an early brake fluid change (if that is what it refers to in the invoice), but my brakes were always too weak and after this, it is much better.

Lubricant, may be all moving parts and joints. eg, the seat fro and back adjustment was very notchy and noisy. After this, it is smooth and silent
Old 3rd November 2016, 08:29   #1122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Lubricant, may be all moving parts and joints. eg, the seat fro and back adjustment was very notchy and noisy. After this, it is smooth and silent
That's some REALLY special lube, then - a kilo of white grease is available on Amazon for less than Rs 500.
Old 3rd November 2016, 18:07   #1123
BHPian

I'd posted last week about my leaving my Polo GT at VW Whitefield (Bengaluru) for her 2nd year (30k km) servicing, and hearing dubious statements from the SA regarding a mysterious oil leak.

I finally got my car back the next day. On asking what was the issue and the solution, and the SA claimed that some silicone gasket needed to be replaced. Strangely, there is no mention of any such gasket in the list of parts billed, which leads to me wonder if there was even a problem in the first place. Extremely disappointed with lack of transparency and miscommunication - I couldn't help but feel that the SA was not coming clean throughout.

Apart from that, my car came back with a white stain on the roof (something that had dripped from the roof overnight), grubby footmats, water spots on the windscreen, and an armrest that had obviously been manhandled as it had become loose and failed to lock into position. Absolutely harrowing service experience!

I am NEVER going to VW Whitefield again, and I'd urge you all to steer clear of this place. There has to be a better option for sure!

I wrote a long mail to VW Whitefield's CRMs, copying VW Customer Care as well:

Dear Sir/Ma'am,

I want to bring to your notice that I am extremely disappointed with my service experience at your service center in Whitefield, that was carried out on 26th-27th October 2016, for my VW Polo TSi bearing registration number KA 03 MU 7100.

I hold the VW brand in high esteem, but this recent experience has not only made me have grave reservations concerning the brand and its commitment to after-sales experiences, but has also made me question how ethical it is for a business to demand and collect a premium fee for a service that it falls woefully short of delivering.

Here are the salient points of my regrettable experience:

1. Car was returned dirtier than when it was handed over for servicing. This is just ridiculous. There were water spots all over the windows and windscreen. Areas that needed cleaning like the gap between the rear windshield and the hatch, and the surface just below the hatch were left untouched. Also, a black streak has been added to the interior roof lining which was pristine before giving the car for servicing. Floor mats were carelessly thrown in, with the left and right side mats interchanged at the back. There was no paper sheet provided on the driver/co-driver's mats, as is customary, and the driver's side mat was caked with dirt. If you can't clean the car, at least don't dirty it further!

2. For no convincing reason, I was asked to leave my car at the service center overnight on the 26th. I was told that my car was leaking oil, when I am dead sure there was no leakage before bringing it for service. There isn't a trace of any oil fallen from the car at the place that I park my car. It seemed as if work on my car had started really late, and hence this pretext was created. The SA did not mention anything about oil leakage over the phone on the 26th - I had to travel all the way to the service center to be told this, and was forced to go back home without the car, leading to 3 hours of wasted time for me.

3. As the car was at the service center overnight, I am not sure where it was parked, because an ugly white spot caused by something dripping from above has appeared on the roof of my car. Not only is this infuriating, it's also shocking that neither the cleaners or the SA noticed this before returning the car to me.

4. Upon taking delivery, I had already noticed the water spots on the windshield. I told the SA to take care of it. All that was done was to shabbily rub a dry cloth on the windscreen, which seems to have cause some hairline scratches, and has definitely not removed the water spots.

After reading all this, I request you to kindly introspect and ask yourselves if this is an experience that you would like to go through yourselves, especially when you are paying your hard-earned money for it. Would you not feel cheated? Is there no commitment to protect the customers' interests, and to faithfully deliver a service that is being paid for?

In the end, I may be just another customer, but this kind of treatment to customers will the downfall of any business in the long run.

Attached are photos of some of the problems listed above, taken soon after delivery.

Thanks and regards,
Jayawant

This was a week back and I am yet to hear from anyone at VW Whitefield!

Sharing this with BHPians lest they come across a similar situation.
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:06   #1124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAWAYAJ View Post
... ... ...This was a week back and I am yet to hear from anyone at VW Whitefield!
Copy to VW. That should, at least, get a response. Have you had the annoying, standard feedback-request phone call from them yet? That should (in my experience) at least get you a voucher for a full cleaning of your car.

With suspiciously-replaced parts, one idea is to insist on being given the old one, and the VW part number. They are supposed to make replacement body parts available.

With a different out-of-warranty car, at an independent garage, some years ago, I was even presented with the rusted chassis part they had replaced. And told that if I didn't want it, the sale proceeds of such scrap went to the staff, not the owner.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 3rd November 2016 at 19:08.
Old 4th November 2016, 20:04   #1125

I once had the 'engine management' and 'catalytic converter' warning lights come on and experienced loss of power while driving. IIRC the advisor on the phone reassured me that its only serious if these lights were blinking and that I could go ahead and drive to the closest service centre.
It turned out that rats had chewed up a few cables.

Did you take a look under the bonnet ? On mine there were frayed wires at the far left and right corners near the firewall (close to the suspension mounts). Total damage: Rs. 3500 (2600 in labor alone for wiring repair; the rest in cables, connectors and webbing tape).

That I paid 16,000 in total for my first service at VW Whitefield (Bangalore) is a different post on its own !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayazhajimalang View Post
I had several problems in my Polo 1.5 TDI in the last month.

2. And then, around 4 days back, the 'engine management' and 'catalytic converter' warning lights came on. I was not worried as I knew it was not a major problem. It happened to my car once and was fixed after cleaning some dust. BUT this time, a few seconds after I started my car everytime that day, the rpm goes down to 200-400 (normal idle rpm is 800) with a stressful engine noise.
<snip> What could be the reason?

Most Viewed