Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2016, 08:22   #1066
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by isodope View Post
A friend has broken the key to his Polo. The service centre has said it will take a month to get the replacement key made. Is this the standard amount of time for key replacement? What will the cost be?

Also, what is the cost of mirror motor replacement for the Polo? The electrically foldable ones, as on the current model.
Got the figures from service centres in two different cities. Remote key for the Highline costs around Rs 12500, and takes around a week to replace. The mirror is sold as a complete unit, you don't get just the motor. The approximate cost is Rs 6000.
Old 18th August 2016, 09:02   #1067
BHPian

My 4 month old Polo GT TSI (6500 kms) started to get vibrations from the brake pedal and sometimes even the steering wheel when breaking. This was much more pronounced at around 100kmph and after driving the car for an hour or so. Since I am in Goa right now, took it to the service center where they did a quick drive to check it and said that the brake rotor needed to be replaced. They didn't actually inspect the brakes. The service center said that this isn't covered under warranty because it is susceptible to wear and tear. Also, they don't have the part in stock. I didn't bother arguing the warranty bit since they didn't have the part and I would need to take the car back to Bangalore, to get the part changed, due to my travel plans.

Since I will be checking with a different dealer in Bangalore, would it be possible for making a case for getting the replacement done under warranty? Has anyone had a similar experience?
Also, do I need to get the brake pads checked?
Old 18th August 2016, 14:39   #1068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crhysis View Post
Since I will be checking with a different dealer in Bangalore, would it be possible for making a case for getting the replacement done under warranty? Has anyone had a similar experience?
Also, do I need to get the brake pads checked?
Knowing the thugs the VW dealers are, they would always say that this is not covered under warranty. Ford replaced my Ecosport's rotors+pads under goodwill at 21000 kms so VW very well should do it since you are at just 6000 kms.

The brake pads and discs are covered under warranty till 6 months/10,000 kms and VW would have to replace it under warranty since you have run just 6000 kms. I had fought with Skoda for my friend's Rapid and after multiple e mail conversations, both discs+pads in his car were replaced under warranty at 9000 kms for the same shuddering issue. This is a issue long faced by Polo/Vento owners because there is some thing wrong in the metallurgy of these brake discs. I had also got an approval for a change of brake discs under warranty at 11000 kms in my car but i had already got the work done outside as VW took 15 days to reply.

With VW/Skoda, warranty claims are not that easy. You have to fight it out with the brand, email them and then if they have forgotten, make them remember that the brakes are covered till 6 month/10,000 kms.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 18th August 2016 at 14:40.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 14:39   #1069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crhysis View Post
My 4 month old Polo GT TSI (6500 kms) started to get vibrations from the brake pedal and sometimes even the steering wheel when breaking. This was much more pronounced at around 100kmph ... ... ...
Your service-centre guys are probably right, but, if I had been you, I would have visited an independent tyre shop first and got the wheel balancing and alignment checked. Might have been a waste of money; might have ended up taking the problem to the dealer anyway.

Nothing should be wearing out at 6.5k, unless your driving is incredibly heavy-footed! Not even brake pads. I think you have a very good case for warranty replacement, and also they should investigate the cause. They should definately check balance and alignment (but will charge more than outside).

An alignment problem can be caused by a single pothole (but I don't know if it would result in the rotor wear). If that is the case, then warranty might not apply, but hey, try your best: you might at least get a percentage cost share out of them.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 13:23   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Is air filter and pollen filter replacement part of schedule first service?
I was surprised when the SA told me it's part of schedule, when I asked him a second time, he said it will be checked if required to be replaced.
Old 27th August 2016, 15:00   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
An interesting observation, hence this PSA. VW has two kinds of jacks for the Polo in India - one known as the Widowmaker (I'm not making this up, I promise!)
As rightly pointed out before, anyone foolish enough to crawl under a car raised on just a jack alone, is risking serious injury. My personal experience is that the 'widow maker' is much easier to use than the conventional one, for its design intent. Not in for any argument, just felt like commenting as i had really felt that the lifting procedure is a smooth and almost single handed operation with the 'widow maker'. Even had thought about buying a spare one for a non vw car. Didn't realise until now that many are not in favour of it.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 18:15   #1072
BHPian

Last night, had been to a function with the family, I got back to my car (Polo TDI, 2012) which was parked on the roadside in front of a gate which always stays closed (as per the watchman there), my car wouldn't start. I cranked it a number of times and it appeared as if it was trying to start but something was keeping it from going all way through. All the lights in the dash were glowing, and the way it sounded, it didn't feel like a battery problem. Had to call my relatives and the so called experts advised to push-start the car and since I couldn't refuse, we had to try that.

After all were done with their expert advices, I finally managed to call up the RSA (Royal Sundaram) and was promptly attended to. The technician arrived and did his checks and came to a conclusion that there was a problem with the fuel pump. He stated various reasons like too much of load on the rear seat (we've always had only three sitting at the rear bench, that's the max it can seat obviously), to a bad fuel problem (have always filled fuel at a trusted pump), to water entering the fuel tank (highly unlikely since I have a covered parking). The car was towed to the VW service center where it has always been serviced. I would like to thank Royal Sundaram for their prompt service which was surprising, the person coordinating the service was very communicative and kept calling me and updating me at regular intervals, till the car reached the service station at 3:30 AM, and free of cost.

Today the SA from VW called and updated me about the same issue and he has quoted 12k for fuel pump replacement (without taxes). My 4 year old car had never given up on me and all through this mess I kept thinking of the thread which is about Germans on flat beds. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rman-cars.html
Anyways, now I'm planning not to get it done at the VW service center since they've claimed they cannot replace it under external warranty (which is valid until Oct 2016). Have asked them to hold on and I'm in talks with a local service station who do a good job servicing all types of cars. Comments/feedback/advice are welcome

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2016 at 09:34. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
VWikram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 05:09   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWikram View Post
Anyways, now I'm planning not to get it done at the VW service center since they've claimed they cannot replace it under external warranty (which is valid until Oct 2016). Have asked them to hold on and I'm in talks with a local service station who do a good job servicing all types of cars. Comments/feedback/advice are welcome
There is absolutely no reason as to why a failed fuel pump would not be changed under extended warranty if you have got the services done on time.

Hang on, do not pay for the repairs yet. Talk to the GM of this service centre and simultaneously mail VW India and put it up on their facebook page about this fiasco. They might give you crap about you using bad quality fuel but dont buy that theory, they say it to every one. Hold on to your ground and VW India would have to do this in warranty, fuel pumps are not supposed to fail in 4 years, if it fails, they better do it under extended warranty.

Its a habit of all VW dealers to initially deny warranty, maybe they are trained that way, mail vw India and inform them about every thing.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 10:50   #1074
BHPian

By the time I could get back to the SA, he had already got the general servicing done . When questioned, he stated that he was waiting for a go-ahead from me for the fuel pump replacement only and the general service of oil change and replacement of other consumables like oil filter, air filter, dust filter, etc., could be done. Anyways, I've asked him to hold on. Have emailed VW India but I'm not sure if I'll get any response.
Old 1st September 2016, 19:08   #1075
BHPian

Updates -

Had sent an email to the SA as well asking him to reply copying his manager stating the reason why the fuel pump cannot be replaced under warranty. After a while got a response, both from the SA and VW customer service stating that my concern was being looked into. So the SA calls and hands over the phone to his Manager, who doesn't introduce himself and starts off-

Manager: Hello Mr. Vikram, the fuel pump cannot be replaced under extended warranty
Sufferer: Are you the GM? Can you please state the reason why it cannot be under replaced under warranty? Please reply to my email with your reason.

Manager: Who told you that it can be replaced under warranty?
Sufferer: I've seen it in the Extended Warranty booklet, have also attached a pic of the same to the email I had sent to your SA, please check.

Manager: Ok, let me check and get back to you.
Sufferer: Ok Sir!

Calls back after a few minutes

Manager: Mr. Vikram, here it says that "any fuel pump electrical or mechanical.."
Sufferer: yes, exactly. It also says any engine part including the fuel pumps is covered in warranty..

Manager: saar, fuel pump is not part of the engine..
Sufferer: ok if it's not but the book says it is covered under warranty

Manager: Actually it is not the fuel pump which is failing, it's a mechanism through which the fuel is injected from the fuel tank into the common rail chamber of the engine, that part is failing which is not covered under warranty..
Sufferer: (trying to control my laugh) ok sir, if you say so, please mention the exact same thing and reply to me on my email.

Manager: ok but the car is still starting and it seems to be working fine now, there's no need to replace it
Sufferer: ok, but what if it fails again? the other day me and my family were stranded at night and I do not want to go through that again, please fix it for sure.

Manager: why do you want to unnecessary waste money on the fuel pump, you take back the car and if any issues come you can let me know
Sufferer: No sir, I don't want to take back the car without the fix since I cannot take any chances..

Manager: ok let me see if I have any demo piece of the fuel pump which should work fine..
Sufferer: Ok that's fine but please make sure it's fixed, I don't want to run into any such issues again

Manager: saar if it runs fine for 2-3 days then it should be good, if not you please call us
Sufferer: I don't want to call you since I don't want to take chances, please make sure you fix it for good..

Manager: ok will check and let you know saar
Sufferer: please keep me updated saar...

Today the SA calls me up again asking for me approval to replace the fuel pump and I was surprised. It was as if he had no clue about my conversation with his manager the other day. I told him to check with his manager on what to do. Called him up in the evening and he said he was looking for a demo piece of a fuel pump and will update me by tomorrow.

I've always been mesmerized by VW's product quality but experiences like these completely rip off the joy of owning these beautiful machines.

Last edited by VWikram : 1st September 2016 at 19:10.
VWikram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 19:24   #1076
Senior - BHPian

What is this demo piece of the fuel pump they're talking about? It seems like a used fuel pump being installed on your car - insist on a new one, even if the car has to wait a few days more in the workshop!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 19:31   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWikram View Post
I've always been mesmerized by VW's product quality but experiences like these completely rip off the joy of owning these beautiful machines.
I agree!

Is this a workshop in Hyd? Which one?
Old 2nd September 2016, 16:18   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
What is this demo piece of the fuel pump they're talking about? It seems like a used fuel pump being installed on your car - insist on a new one, even if the car has to wait a few days more in the workshop!
That's what I'll do, I'm just waiting for the SA to get back to me with another excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Is this a workshop in Hyd? Which one?
It's PPS Motors, at Suchitra Circle, on Medchal Road.
Old 10th September 2016, 10:26   #1079
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know the when the timing belt of the 1.2 MPi needs to be changed on the Polo? The diesel is 2,10,000 km according to an earlier post here but I'm not sure about the petrol. Thanks!
Old 10th September 2016, 20:36   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know the when the timing belt of the 1.2 MPi needs to be changed on the Polo? The diesel is 2,10,000 km according to an earlier post here but I'm not sure about the petrol. Thanks!

The timing belt or V-ribbed belt (as they call it) was changed at 60k kms service in my Polo 1.2 MPi and it costed ~1200 bucks.
Hope this helps.
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks